Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BIGwooly

So you switched to the Lady Stone for increased health/stamina regen? I was considering that but I think I am going for the Lord Stone on my sword and shield warrior. +25% magic resistance and +50 armor rating. I will have 50% magic resistance on my Breton without any magical items with this perk. And since I use light armor for quicker movement the extra 50 armor rating will help a lot.

Something to consider.

It's a great suggestion, but my character hasn't come across the lord stone yet. d;-) Keep in mind this character is really my first playthrough of the game, so I'm just taking it all as it comes. That sounds like a really good stone blessing to have, though. The lady stone is kind of, meh, but I started realizing it was actually better than the warrior stone.

Dereon Rykker

FWIW, I haven't found it yet either :). But I do know the general area and plan to go look for it this weekend. I have played through before though, so definitely take it all as it comes. Since your character is literally just living in the world, it wouldn't fit to go seek something out you heard about on a message board. :)

BIGwooly

FWIW, I haven't found it yet either :). But I do know the general area and plan to go look for it this weekend. I have played through before though, so definitely take it all as it comes. Since your character is literally just living in the world, it wouldn't fit to go seek something out you heard about on a message board. :)

Exactly, lol. Unless I heard about it at an 'online inn'. d;-p

That's the problem I am having right now! I know most of the lay of the land, or at least the approximate locations. Now I have to play my character as I don't, is near impossible! Although not using the map sure helps that along too.

Dereon Rykker

Just to clear up... when you die, you just 'Wait' for 7 24-hour periods, then spend 300gold with the innkeep? I want to start doing this.

BIGwooly

Just to clear up... when you die, you just 'Wait' for 7 24-hour periods, then spend 300gold with the innkeep? I want to start doing this.

Close. I wait for 6 days, then pay for a room and rest for 1 day. Then I spend 300 gold with the innkeep. Really helps make dying more meaningful.

Dereon Rykker

Close. I wait for 6 days, then pay for a room and rest for 1 day. Then I spend 300 gold with the innkeep. Really helps make dying more meaningful.

Cool. I finally did this last night on my character. I thought I'd tangle with a snow bear and it turned out to be a mistake. Instead of simply reloading my last save and having no consequences I Fast travled (which I never do unless this situation occurs now) to the nearest discovered town with an inn and waited 6 days, slept 1.

I am impatient and wanted to just continue from my last save, but this really does add some meaning to dying.

BIGwooly

Cool. I finally did this last night on my character. I thought I'd tangle with a snow bear and it turned out to be a mistake. Instead of simply reloading my last save and having no consequences I Fast travled (which I never do unless this situation occurs now) to the nearest discovered town with an inn and waited 6 days, slept 1.

I am impatient and wanted to just continue from my last save, but this really does add some meaning to dying.

No doubt. I love that feeling of really not wanting to get killed. Really immerses you in the game. And for the record, I run from all bears, lol.

BIGwooly

I have read your journals enough to have that fear instilled me from the get go haha. So far my character has been lucky to elude such a fate, but I am sure have jinxed myself haha.

The problem is Skyrim can send death your way from so many directions, lol. My favorite so far is walking up to an artifact and having it just zap me dead. Never saw that coming, heh. No jinxes!

The problem is Skyrim can send death your way from so many directions, lol. My favorite so far is walking up to an artifact and having it just zap me dead. Never saw that coming, heh. No jinxes!
The artifact killed you? Lol

BIGwooly

- 16th of Rain's Hand, 4E 202 -

I haven't had much time to write the past few days. Bleaks Falls Barrow has proven to be a worthy challenge. We returned to it's depths and fought our way through it. Draugr after draugr fell to our maces, until at long last we reach a quiet hall with a large round door of stone.

dragonclaw.jpg

But before we made it this far I have another story to share. We encountered a troll a few days ago, and just barely managed to kill it, as I wrote that day. The area where this particular fight took place was open to the sky, a deep shaft like well for a giant of giants. We were in the bottom of the shaft, on a narrow ledge, and this is where the troll had fallen dead.

When we returned, though, there was a second body present. A man, wearing light armor, was face down on the ground next to the troll. Puzzled by this scenario, we moved forward cautiously. Was it bandit that snuck past us in the night? Not likely, as we had kept diligent watch. We could come up with no explanation for his presence.

After searching his body the story began to unveil itself. The man had a note on him, directing him to kill the troll if he wanted to become second in command. Second in command of what, we didn't know. But I'm assuming he was a bandit after all. The note went on to say he should cast a fireball spell at the troll from above, and then climb down and return with the beast's head.

No doubt this poor soul had showed up and looked down into the shaft to find the troll already dead. His spirits would have been high, as he no longer had to do the deed himself. In his excitement and haste, he had likely been a bit careless as he climbed down into the shaft. Somewhere along the way he probably lost his footing on the wet walls in the dead of the night, and had found the bottom below with his neck first. Ironic .. sad … but in an odd way, humorous.

Back to this door, though. It was large and round and made of stone. It was obvious that the claw we had come across on the man who we saved from the spider was somehow involved in opening the door. I consulted a book we had also found that belonged to the man, and after a short time the answer to the door's puzzle became clear. The answer, as it turns out, was on the claw itself.

Beyond the door was a large, cavernous room. As quiet as we were it still seemed as if our footsteps were echoing like drums off of the walls. There was something powerful about the room. Neither Kharjo nor I could figure out what it was, but we both felt it. And then I spotted it. I almost couldn't believe my own eyes.

bleakfallsalter.jpg

At the other end of the room, was a large throne-like structure. I had seen one of these before .. months before … high up in the snowy peaks. This was just like the other one. The resemblance was so striking my pace quickened. I still remembered my last experience. How could I forget? Being enveloped in some sort of magic, and then feeling as if I had learned .. no … knowing that I had learned something in a foreign language. How could one forget something like that?

I still didn't understand what had happened before, but it hadn't killed me. So I moved forward with Kharjo and kept my mouth shut. There was no need to bring up my other experience to him. What if it didn't repeat? I would look like a fool.

But sure enough, by the divines, as I approached the stone structure I felt it pulling me in. I sensed, and then saw the magic curling around me. The power I felt can't be described with ink. And then, just as before, there was a climax of magic and I was left with this feeling, this understanding, of another word of this same language.

Kharjo had nothing to say. Perhaps he was scared. Perhaps he was expecting me to fall down dead. I don't know, but it was odd that this happened and then we said nothing to each other about it. Maybe it's for the best.

There was an altar of sorts in front of the structure. It had an old burial casket and a large chest, as well as a small shelf with a potion or two on it. I approached the chest, hoping to find the dragonstone inside and have a good reason to escape back up to the world of the sun.

But as I stepped toward the chest the casket burst open and an enraged draugr stepped out from within. Kharjo drew his mace and charged in, as did I. The draugr focused on my kahjit friend since he arrived first, and this allowed me to strike a mighty blow at the undead's exposed back. Before he could recover I struck him with my shield, while Kharjo continued with a flurry of blows. One more giant swing landed my mace against the fiend's back and he fell to the ground.

To my surprise, he was holding the dragon stone. It was a strange tablet, with a similar helmeted face as the structure behind us. There were marks all over it, on a map of Skyrim. I wasn't sure what they were for, but after a few minutes I had an idea. It could be that these marks were the locations of all these .. magical structures. I know I've been charged to retrieve this for the mage in Whiterun, but would it hurt to put my theory to the test first?

dragonstone.jpg

The only real issue I see is that the thing is heavy like a mammoth. I don't really fancy us carrying it all over Skyrim while trying to protect ourselves. It would definitely put us near the limit of what we can carry. Something to think over.

We hid the stone and spent the rest of the day hauling some items back down to Riverwood for sale. Then today we returned for the stone and headed back down into Riverwood for a warm meal and a cool bed. Unfortunately, we've just found out that the inn in Riverwood is closed. The barman would give us no explanation other than the lady who sells the rooms was simply not there. We ate dinner and waited around for her for several hours, but she never showed up.

With nowhere to sleep and darkness sinking in, we decided to make the trip to Whiterun and get a room there. Tomorrow we'll decide our next move. Turn over the dragon stone, or test my theory.

BIGwooly

- 17th of Rain's Hand, 4E 202 -

Over breakfast this morning I made my decision. I have a map in my possession produced by Nataly Dravarol. It's fairly basic map of Skyrim, but it matches close enough to the map on the dragon stone. By comparing the two, I've selected a mark on the dragon stone that is close to Whiterun. We are going to check the area and see if we can find what this mark relates to.

To my knowledge the jarl doesn't know we've returned to Whiterun, and if so, we've told no one about the dragon stone or our adventure in Bleak Falls. Even now, as we examine the stone and compare it to this old map, we do so in the privacy of our paid room. So we should be okay to leave with the stone.

I'm actually somewhat excited now. Not just to see what these marks represent, but to try out a new mace I've purchased. I was quite attached to my old one. It never got old to watch it light one of my foes on fire. But this new mace has a very powerful magic bestowed upon it. I actually steals life from the victim and gives it to the attacker. I think this will be very useful in battle indeed.

Today I may yet put it to the test.

Lanconite

Tonight we dine in Hell.
Very well done indeed...:)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts