Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BIGwooly

- 24th of Rain's Hand, 4E 202 -

My new mace got the better of me. After leaving Whiterun to search for one of the dragon stone marks, we were ambushed by a sabre cat. My only other encounter with one of these animals left me laid up in a bed for a week, so I was quite concerned. But oddly enough we were able to put it down fairly quickly, although I did use my voice against it as well.

With an increase in confidence we set out again, towards the base of the nearby mountains. Out of nowhere, just minutes later, another sabre cat pounced on me from behind without warning. I didn't even have a chance to turn to face it before I spotted a second sabre cat bearing down on us. This was trouble of the worst kind ... and my voice was gone.

I turned to deal with the cat mauling my back and Kharjo went to work on the other one. Once again, to my surprise, we put both of them down. Not only were not killed, as I was expecting, but we defeated the animals without as much effort as I anticipated.

With my confidence soaring we continued to the mountains. We had been exploring them for less than an hour when I noticed something up above us. It was about two hundred paces away, but it looked like a potential cave opening. We climbed up to investigate.

As we got closer I could see clearly that it was a cave entrance. I could also see it was marked. Marked by falmer. With a bit of unease on my stomach, we stepped inside.

It was a typical falmer lair; dark and dank, with much less light than I would prefer. And it wasn't long before we ran into our first falmer. The two of us bashed him into oblivion, and then did the same to the next one we encountered.

We dove deeper into the cave and eventually came to a room with two falmer together. I had full confidence in my abilities and my new mace at this point, and I wasted no time revealing myself and initiating the fight. As the closer falmer charged us the further one drew a bow. I wasn't about to take arrows to the back while fighting the closer falmer, so I ran to him, bashed him with my shield, and then went after the archer while Kharjo went to work on the stunned falmer.

But the archer didn't go down quickly as I expected. The fight dragged on, and he continued using his bow instead of switching to a close range weapon. I was flurrying with my mace, in full confidence despite the length of the fight. I barely even noticed my own pain as it mounted. And then, in the last seconds, I realized I was in trouble. But it was too late.

Thankfully Kharjo was able to get me back to Whiterun. I feel ignorant for letting my confidence nearly get me killed. We will return to the cave to see if it bears any relation to this dragon stone. And when we do, I will keep my confidence in line.

BIGwooly

- 1st of Second Seed, 4E 202 -

I'm remembering why I dislike the falmer so much. Another week later and we're returning to the cave again. The falmer that got the better of me the first time was able to do so a second time. Talos grant me victory today. I plan to paralyze the fetcher.

BIGwooly

- 1st of Second Seed, 4E 202 -

Back in Whiterun. Hurting badly. Was able to kill the two falmer. Chaurus attacked us further in the cave.

I fought hard but they have poisonous spit. Unable to kill all three. Must rest and recover.

BIGwooly

- 8th of Second Seed, 4E 202 -

After a full week off my feet in recovery, I was ready to head out and do something today. We got a late start, and it was dusk by the time we left Whiterun's gates. I'm not one to go out adventuring at night generally, but I'm not one for laying around in bed all day either. I had to stretch my legs, and what better place to do it than in the cave we discovered.

Only we never made it that far tonight. Just a short ways outside of Whiterun, in the pitch black of night, a thief came from darkness and demanded our valuables. I think the thief knew we weren't going to just hand them over without a fight. She had a glean in her eye that indicated she was up for a fight as well. Good.

We battled for several minutes before she succumbed to our maces and her life left her. As much as I wanted to, we couldn't carry all that she had. We even stashed a few things on the side of the road so we could carry more. We'll come back for them in the morning. Hopefully they will still be there. This cursed dragon stone weighs too much.

BIGwooly

- 16th of Second Seed, 4E 202 -

I'm running out of coin again. I can't believe I had over five thousand septims just a month ago, and now I'm nearly down to just a thousand. It doesn't help that I fell victim to the chaurus' poisonous attacks .. again.

Before we last left Whiterun I visited the local alchemist shop. I had hope she would have a resist poison potion in our stocks, but she didn't. I asked but she also didn't have a recipe for the potion.

Having fallen to the chaurus again, I really feel this may be the key to me surviving in the cave. Last time I remember us chasing two of the beasts further into the cave, and then I was hit with their spit twice and bitten once. I turned and ran, knowing that the poison was acting within me. But I only made it twenty paces before the poison overtook me. Rotten insects.

Perhaps I should abandon the cave and pursue a more lucrative venture. I could definitely get used to not lugging this stone around anymore.

BIGwooly

- 17th of Second Seed, 4E 202 -

We just finished up business with Belethor and are back at the inn this morning to have a bite. Our time in the cave is now finished .. mostly. There is both good and bad, but more on that in a bit.

Yesterday morning we went back to the cave. Before we could even get inside we came across a thief attacking a mage near the entrance. Kharjo and I stood atop a nearby hill watching the fight. The mage summoned a frost atronacht, which drew the thief's full attention. Kharjo, and I can only assume he was bored with the display, decided to start firing arrows at the thief. But his first arrow struck the summoned atronacht, and the mage immediately turned his attention to us.

He and Kharjo traded projectiles ... orchish arrows and spikes of ice. I stayed on the hill with Kharjo, to protect him in case something else happened along and joined this mad battle. But after a bit Kharjo fell to a knee, and I knew he needed my help. I ran in and engaged the mage, and he nearly killed me. His ability to heal himself was stacking the fight in his favor. But Kharjo recovered just in time and came in with his mace to save me.

After dealing with the thief we took what we could back to Whiterun to collect some much-needed gold. We had lunch there and then headed back to the cave.

Around mid-afternoon we reached the chaurus lair. But this was after having to fight our way through two falmer replacements. They were tougher than the previous pair, and once again I had to retreat after nearly dying. Kharjo continued the fight while I did my best to try and recover from my wounds. I may need to start carrying a good health potion or two for these situations. But I knew Kharjo wouldn't be able to handle both falmer on his own, so I made sure I was ready to jump in when he needed me.

As soon as I saw him fall to the ground I rushed in a with a flurry of blows I distracted the falmer with the axe and killed him as well. I then turned my attention to the falmer with the bow, but Kharjo was back on his feet and they began exchanging arrows. I decided to let this play out, and after a while Kharjo got the better of him.

Now to the chaurus. These vile creatures had ruined me several times now, and today I planned to make full use of my voice to defeat them. But oddly enough, we waded into their lair with our maces flying and killed them outright. I wasn't complaining. It felt really good.

Beyond them the cavern took on a different look, and soon I realized we were in the remains of an ancient dwarven structure. We came to a large door, and on the other side was a large room with machines and steam and noise. I was in awe.

My grandfather had told me stories of the dwarves, and had described their fancy machines and their automated guards. Now I was in just such a place. My hands were nearly shaking with excitement. What would we find here? Was this the marked place on the dragon stone after all?

Unfortunately all we found was another falmer, a much stronger and crankier one. But our tactics were sound this time and he fell to our pounding without much resistance.

In a nearby chest I found a set of orcish armor, which is about the same as my steel plate armor, but somewhat lighter. The armor was nice, and I decided I should switch to it, but I didn't want to just leave my plate armor behind. After all, it was likely worth around two hundred gold. But with this stone we simply couldn't carry the armor back. So I made a difficult decision.

We are in Whiterun now, finishing up breakfast. I just sold my trusted set of steel plate armor to Belethor for a handsome price of nearly two hundred and forty gold pieces. But I have no chest plate or pauldrons now, and we'll have to journey back to retrieve the orcish armor with me being fairly vulnerable to attack. Mara grant us safe passage this morn.

I won't say I'm not disappointed. If this truly was the place marked on the dragon stone, I don't see why it was. The dwarven ruin was interesting, but there didn't seem to be anything there related to the stone or the magic experience I had in Bleak Falls. I think we may continue our search of the area to see if we can find another place that fits the mark.

BIGwooly

- 17th of Second Seed, 4E 202 -

I've just seen the most amazing thing!

I'm almost too excited to even write about it. Kharjo is a bit annoyed with me I think. I had him wait behind at the entrance of the cave to cover our backs while I went inside for the orcish armor. We had already swept the cave clean once before, so it was unlikely I would run into anything inside.

I arrived at the dwemer room with where the chest was located and pulled out the armor. It wasn't the prettiest construction. My steel plate looked much better. But the build was solid, as was the protection. The fact that it was lighter made all the difference. Looking good is nice, but being able to carry a few extra things is just a bit nicer.

I had just turned around to leave the room when I stopped in my tracks and turned back around. In the dark, just beyond the chest, appeared to be a door .. a very strange door. My pulse quickened and I immediately wished Kharjo was by my side. I considered going back to get him, but it was such a long hike through the tunnels of this cave. I decided to examine the door on my own.

As I approached it I was amazed we hadn't spotted it before. It was very well concealed in the dark, and even with it right in front of me and my hand on it I could barely make it out with my straining eyes. And then it happened ....

Just after I placed my hand on the door, it made the most deafening noises. I could hear steam and gears and levers all at once. I stepped back, unsure of my decision to do this alone. And then, as I stood there in awe with my mouth agape ... the door opened .. but it wasn't a door.

It was .. a machine? A mechanical ... beast. A monster.

I stumbled backwards, completely in shock. I didn't even draw my weapon. I was stunned. Unable to think. And the metal construct stepped out from it's cocoon towards me.

dwemerconstruct01.jpg

The next thing I remember was a scalding blast of steam that did all but kill me. And though it nearly took my life in that instant, it also shocked me out of my shock. I didn't even reach for my mace. I was clearly outmatched and clearly seconds away from certain death. Instead I turned and ran. I sprinted for the corridor with all my strength. I was running so fast I was running into things and over things. I couldn't even see what I was doing, I just kept moving my legs.

Somehow I reached the corridor and ran down it, and made it to the tunnel at the end. The massive machine was just behind me, it's huge metal feet clanging against the stone floor. My heart and lungs were ready to burst as I sprang into the tunnel. Every second I expected to feel the fiery steam or crushing blow of my end.

But the tunnel was narrower than the corridor, and the ceiling lower. The dwemer machine couldn't pursue me. I stood there in the tunnel, admiring and fearing this feat of ingenuity. I will never forget what it looked like, and I honestly expect to never see it again.

dwemerconstruct02.jpg

BIGwooly

- 18th of Second Seed, 4E 202 -

I truly hate getting caught out in the wilds of Skyrim in the dark.

Today we were up in the mountains north of Whiterun. We searched all day for something .. anything, that seemed to fit with the mark on the dragon stone. We found nothing.

Instead, I was nearly killed by a sabre cat. It came from the bushes on my flank and I didn't even see it until was only a few paces away. Luckily I had my shield out already and was just able to block it's first blow. This surely saved my life, as the great cat was able to land a flurry of swipes with his paws before I could even return a single strike. I knew I was in trouble and had no choice but to shout fear at it.

Unfortunately my voice also impacted Kharjo, and both he and the sabre cat fled from me in opposite directions. I took off after Kharjo, and waited nearby while the effect wore off. By the time the cat returned we were able to kill it together, but it was not an easy fight.

Later in the day I spotted what looked like a cave up on a ridge. Kharjo and I crept carefully up the slope, using the bushes and trees and boulders as cover. The weather was miserable, alternating between rain and snow ... and then both at the same time. It was wretched. But it did serve to help conceal us.

And that was a good thing, because as we neared the cave I noticed a figure out in front. It's form looked roughly like that of a falmer. I wasn't surprised. The other cave we had just swept through was nearby. So we kept our quiet approach with our weapons drawn.

But the closer we got the less it looked like a falmer. It was something else. Something .. larger. I decided to stop and observe our target. I was uncomfortable with not knowing what it was for sure. But it just stood there, guarding the cave. It was difficult to see through the veil of sleet in front of us, but it really looked as though this creature was not moving a muscle. Had it spotted us?

We waited a bit longer, but it still didn't move.

I decided to close in slowly. I was nervous since I had already used my voice. If we got in over our heads we might not even be able to flee with our lives. But we moved closer and closer and still the thing, which now looked very much like a man, didn't move.

Now I fully believe the divines have a sense of humor, and certainly they were laughing at this mortal today. In fact, I'm certain they were laughing with tears in their eyes and aches in their bellies as I stalked a statue of Talos himself. There was no cave, just a shrine to Talos. I felt ridiculous, but Kharjo didn't say a word. I think he had been fooled as well.

We went a bit farther after this, hating the clouds above that kept us wet and cold. But all we found was an old fort with what looked to be mages patrolling around it's perimeter. By now it was nearly dark and there was no point in taking a closer look at the ruined fort. So we carefully bypassed a roaming mammoth and made our way back down off the mountain.

It was a slow process. With the clouds and the sleet the night was even darker than usual. I could barely see ten paces in front of me. Kharjo and I were shaking from the cold, and not in any condition to get into a fight. We both knew in this darkness we could run into trouble literally. Every now and then a flash of lightning would briefly light our way. It was disrupting how that reassuring light was followed so quickly by utter darkness and the ominous boom of the thunder.

But we made Whiterun without incident, and now we're having some delicious cooked beef and ale while we dry out in front of the fire. I would write more, and sketch the shrine of Talos, but my fingers ache from the cold.

Leigull

Great updates! Really enjoy reading them on a Monday morning!

I tried numerous times to tackle the Falmer and Chaurus in Shimmermist Cave early on in my master game as part of a bounty contract - needless to say I lost my life on more than one occassion and had to abandon it till I was much stronger. Had nightmares about that place! Haha

BIGwooly

Great updates! Really enjoy reading them on a Monday morning!

I tried numerous times to tackle the Falmer and Chaurus in Shimmermist Cave early on in my master game as part of a bounty contract - needless to say I lost my life on more than one occassion and had to abandon it till I was much stronger. Had nightmares about that place! Haha

Glad I'm not alone then! I seriously debated giving up on it, lol. Those damn chaurus ...

Neriad13

Premium Member
And the animation of the chaurus spitting venom on you is so gross. Projectile vomiting, more like. :eek:Whenever I'm fighting them, I'm like "Augh! Ew! Aw, you nasty thing, die already!"

The part about the Centurion was great. Hrisskar's fear and awe and wonderment really came out strong. But what I'm really excited about is the moment when he turns in the stone to Farengar. I'm very much looking forward to his reaction to a dragon.

BIGwooly

And the animation of the chaurus spitting venom on you is so gross. Projectile vomiting, more like. :eek:Whenever I'm fighting them, I'm like "Augh! Ew! Aw, you nasty thing, die already!"

The part about the Centurion was great. Hrisskar's fear and awe and wonderment really came out strong. But what I'm really excited about is the moment when he turns in the stone to Farengar. I'm very much looking forward to his reaction to a dragon.

Yes, chaurus suck .. especially fighting three at one time on master difficulty. Freaking crap.

Thanks for following the journal. A dragon sighting would be pretty amazing for sure.

An interesting insight regarding the centurion. When I came back to the cave I had Kharjo wait at the front, not really to watch my back obviously, but because I wanted to be able to grab the armor and leave via the short route ... and followers can't drop from ledges. So I left him behind for that reason, but if he had been in the room with me when the centurion came alive ... the story sure would have gone differently. One or both of us would have probably been killed, since followers won't flee with you. But I left him behind so the story went the way it did. I'm always fascinated by how little decisions in the game can play out things differently.

BIGwooly

- 24th of Second Seed, 4E 202 -

Why do the gods insist on salting victory with defeat?

Kharjo and I set out last Middas to spend one more day searching the mountains to the north. After spending nearly a month looking for the marked location on the dragon stone, I was ready to give up. But I wanted to try once more. One more day. I had a new theory that the marks on the dragon stone were maybe not entirely accurate as to their location. Perhaps the marks were simply a general guide to the area where the location truly was.

Whatever the case, we set out anyways. We were on the road to the west of the city when the strangest thing happened. A ball of fire crossed my path, narrowly missing me. Before I knew it a second following it, crashing into the nearby rocks with a fiery explosion. I looked to the west, to identify the source of these flaming orbs, and was surprised once again. Far away from us, across the river and up on a cliff, there was a battle raging.

I saw another fireball shoot skyward, and then spotted a flaming figure that could only be a flame atronach. I saw other magic flying and glowing as well, and Kharjo and I just stood there and watched this display of light. As interesting as it was, the fight was soon over and we continued onward.

We reached the falmer cave and headed north. Previously we had headed west along the mountains. Today we would travel north and prove my theory right or wrong.

After several encounters with wolf packs and avoiding a lonely giant, we came across what looked like an old trail high up in the mountains. We followed it east, but the trail just lead back down to the valley. So we turned around and followed it west, and eventually this trail lead us higher into the peaks.

An hour or so later we came across a sight I nearly couldn't believe.

shearpoint.jpg

There it was, just up the mountain from us. Another of those strange stone structures. We could only see the back of it from our position on the slope, but I recognized the shape. It was unmistakeable. I was thrilled and nervous at the same time. I felt intense joy that we had actually used the dragon stone to find another of these structures. I had been right about the stone. And I was excited to get up to the structure and see if I could experience the magic again.

On the other hand, I was feeling quite nervous. I hadn't really bought into the dragon stone and the stories of dragons in Skyrim. It was all legend. Myth. It made for good stories to tell children. But this discovery validated the dragon stone to some extent, and now I was wondering if dragons WERE real.

As we hiked the rest of the way up the hill the knot in my stomach only grew larger. I was still excited, but the sight of bones everywhere was taxing my excitement. Everywhere we looked there were mammoth carcasses and troll skulls. Anything that could slaughter so many of these kinds of mer would have to be a powerful creature. I didn't want to think about it, but in the back of my mind only one word stood out. Dragon.

We proceeded as carefully as we could. But it was around noon, and we were completely exposed in the light of the mid-day sun. I couldn't stop noticing all of the bones. We shouldn't be here. There was evil lurking .. somewhere. Kharjo muttered something about something smelling foul. I couldn't smell it, but I trust his nose over mine any day. I had no doubt there was something foul about.

But nearly a half hour later we had searched the surrounding area and found nothing. So my excitement and giddiness got the better of me. I approached the stone structure, and then began to feel it calling to me ... pulling me in. Kharjo hung back. He wasn't liking our situation at all.

By the time I noticed the casket it was too late. My eyes had been on the structure and on a large chest to the side of it. But I noticed the casket just in time to see it's lid fly off. What came out of it was the most evil thing I've ever seen or dreamed of. It was a demon. A monster. With a bony face and hideous wings and a large staff. It was undead, and as Kharjo had pointed out earlier, it smelled foul.

It attacked immediately, directing an enormous fireball at me. The sphere exploded, and I felt as if half my life had been taken from me. I retreated clumsily and in a panic. Kharjo strode in with his mace, determined to protect me. But the demon did the same to him, and then again. I wasn't nearly recovered from my wounds but I couldn't just let Kharjo die. Especially not after he just attempted to save my own life.

But the demon was more capable than us. I don't even think I ever managed to hit it. It was too fast, and it had a knowledge of magic that was other-worldly. We tried the best we could, but it overpowered us. In a desperate effort to save us, I used my voice. And for the first time, my voice had no effect.

So we're both recovering at the inn in Whiterun. Our injuries were severe, and I don't refer to just the physical wounds. I can't see us going back up there at this point. We are going to need a healthy advantage before we confront that thing again.

On the other hand, we've proven there is something to this dragon stone and the marks on it. I think we may just need to investigate a different mark next time .. and be prepared to run.

BIGwooly

- 25th of Second Seed, 4E 202 -

Kharjo are having breakfast in Whiterun after deciding what to do with the dragon stone. More than anything it's gotten tiresome to carry this thing around. So I've decided to hand it over to the jarl's mage and be done with it. I have a sketch of it here in my diary, so after we get rid of the stone we are going to head to Windhelm and check out some of the other marks .. more carefully this time.

I'm actually looking forward to the journey. I like Whiterun but there is something comforting about Windhelm. Maybe it's that everyone there despises imperials as much as I do. Whiterun is a bit of a mix. While they don't cater to imperials, people still tend to watch what they say here. I like the open support of the stormcloaks in Windhelm.

Well, Kharjo just finished his apple and bread so we're going to pack up. The road to Windhelm generally fairly safe. I don't foresee us getting into too much trouble today.

BIGwooly

- 25th of Second Seed, 4E 202 -

Where do I begin?

I'm scared to write. I myself can barely believe what I saw with my own eyes today. My hand is still shaking .. hours later. What madness has been laid upon our world?

Early this morning we returned the dragon stone. The court mage was not in the best mood, despite our offering. There was someone else with him as well, and they were both talking about dragons as if they were real. As if there was one in the room. I remember chuckling under my breath at their excited talk. Still, there was a part of me that refused to dismiss their conversation.

All of a sudden we were interrupted by the jarl's housecarl Irileth. She was visibly shaken, but her words were clear. A dragon had been spotted.

Next I remember us running up the stairs to speak with Jarl Balgruuf. My head was spinning, though. A dragon had been spotted? A real dragon? I would have dismissed the idea if Irileth hadn't seemed so convinced.

Before I knew it we were leaving the jarl's quarters. The dragon had supposedly been seen circling near the western watchtower. We were charged with traveling to the western watchtower and investigating. My stomach was in knots. If the dragon existed, what were we going to do about it?

When we stepped through the doors of the palace I half-expected to see the dragon right there, in the sky above us. But the sky was empty, except for the layer of stormclouds that hung menacingly over us.

We continued toward the main gate to meet up with the other guards. Everyone's eyes were on the sky. At any moment I expected to see some awful beast come through the clouds and swoop down on us. But we reached the gate without incident.

After a brief motivational speech by Irithel we were on our way to the watchtower. Several of the guards were visibly nervous. I wondered if my fear was so apparent. I had just barely escaped death a week ago. Was today the day it found me?

Rising smoke and flickering flames appeared ahead of us. The watchtower had been attacked. By the dragon? I didn't know, but I was starting to become a believer.

We reached the outpost and split up to look for survivors. There was at least one guard left alive, and he began babbling about a dragon. My muscles tensed even more. I couldn't take my eyes off the sky.

Suddenly there was a shout. Then another. Someone had seen the dragon. Just then. They had seen it. I looked all around but saw nothing. Just gloomy stormy clouds. I was frantically searching above me. I wanted to see it now. I wanted to believe. I didn't even know why.

And then I heard it. I heard a shriek .. a scream .. a yell .. a roar … like I've never heard before. That had to be it. It stuck fear in my heart in an instant. Everyone was running for cover, and I was at the entry to the tower, so I ran inside.

I heard the sound again as I took to the steps. I ran as fast as I could. I still wasn't believing what I was hearing. I had to see it.

And then, as I came to a hole in the side of the tower's wall … I saw it. It was but a glimpse, but I saw a dragon .. with my own eyes.

whiterundragon01.jpg

It was fast, and flew right by the tower before I could even think. I stepped up to the hole but it was gone. But then I heard it again. I heard it's angry shriek. There was yelling and hysteria outside, so I ran back down the steps.

I made it to the door and searched the sky. Nothing. It was gone. My blood was racing. I couldn't believe what I had just seen. It was a myth come true. There was a dragon in Skyrim!

The sound of men yelling and a terrible shriek alerted me that the dragon was not gone. In fact, as I turned around, it was right above me. It was hovering like a monstrous evil butterfly. Guards were firing arrows at it and Irithel was casting some sort of shock spell at it. It seemed as if a dream had come alive.

whiterundragon02.jpg

I ducked back inside the tower and watched as the Irithel and the guards fought the beast. Even Kharjo was lending a hand. Without a bow I was useless, though. I searched the tower as the battle raged outside, but there was no bow to be found anywhere. I stepped back outside to see if there was a guard that had fallen whose bow I could take.

To my surprise the dragon was on the ground now. I started to take a step and a massive river of flame leapt from his mouth. It engulfed several guards and left them screaming in agony. I stepped back inside the tower, feeling every bit a coward. But what was I to do? I'm not a dragon killer. I can barely handle myself against a pack of wolves. What could I possibly do against a dragon?

For hours the fight with the dragon continued. Arrows littered the sky as the great beast circle around us, laying down a path of fire on the ground below it. I stayed inside the tower, anxious to do something but not knowing what to do. There was no point in me going outside and just getting killed.

Finally, after nearly a full day of fighting, the dragon took the fight to the ground permanently. I'm assuming the constant onslaught of arrows had injured it's wings to the point where was too painful to fly. Whatever the case, the beast was still dangerous even on the ground. It's massive jaws could bite a man in half, and the flame that spewed forth from it left everything charred and dead.

whiterundragon03.jpg

I mustered all my courage and sprang from the tower as the dragon turned it's back to me. Several guards were out in front of it, trying to bring it down. With it's attention on them, I behind smashing my mace into it's scaly back. With each blow I willed it to die. But the dragon was strong, and it seemed like my efforts were in vain.

And then, as I was just about spent, the dragon finally collapsed. We had defeated it.

What happened next I am still trying to understand. As the dragon lay there dead, it's flesh began to burn away from it's bones, and a magical aura began to swirl away from the dragon … toward me. It was just like the aura I had experienced on the mountaintop and in the depths of Bleak Falls. And afterwards I felt an immense power inside of me.

One of the guards said I was dragon-born. Another said this was nonsense. But the guard insisted and told me to try and shout with the power I felt. I felt silly being the center of such attention, especially given my limited role in bringing the beast down. And I certainly didn't feel like trying to shout with this power I was feeling, only to have nothing happen and look like a fool. But the guard was insistent.

So I shouted. The power left me and exited my mouth with such force I think it would have knocked a mammoth over. I was shocked. And within a short time I felt the power return to me. It's much like my ability to shout fear into my enemies, but the ability returns so much more quickly.

Irithel wasn't buying into the talk of me being dragon-born, and instructed me to go back to Whiterun and inform the jarl of what had happened. So Kharjo and I left to do just that. Truth be told, I was happy to leave. I wasn't comfortable with the talk of being dragon-born.

As we wearily approached the gate of the city, with evening fast approaching, there was a tremendous crash … like the thunder of ten thousand lightning strikes. Only the thunder was also like a voice .. like the voice of a god. It said simply, "Dovahkiin!". Dragon born.

I hurried into the city, completely perplexed by the insanity of the past several hours. There was a feeling deep inside of me that nothing would be the same after today. Something had changed in my world. I couldn't help but notice everyone in the city whispering to each other. Had they heard the voice as well?

I relayed the information about the dragon to the jarl and he told me that the voice I had heard was a calling by the graybeards. I was just happy someone else besides Kharjo and I had heard the voice.

So now we're back at the inn, thoroughly exhausted from our day. The jarl was very clear that I should heed the calling of the graybeards. That means traveling up to the throat of the world, up the seven thousand steps. I was supposed to be in Windhelm tonight. If only we had left a day earlier. I don't know what to do now. I need to get some rest and make a decision then.