Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BIGwooly

- 10th of Rain's Hand, 4E 202 -

So after paying off my bounty in Whiterun and spending the night at the local inn, I've discovered this morning that Dawn is missing. That imperial fetcher of a bodyguard must have taken her during the night. If I ever see him again I'm going to bash his brains into his helmet.

Rain is falling today. The cloudy skies seem to feel my sullenness as well. We're sitting at a kahjit camp just outside the city gates right now. Kharjo is catching up with them while I write this and try to figure out what to do.

Without a horse the journey to the cave is going to be a much longer one, and I'm not going to be able to bring much back from it. I already checked with the stablemaster here in Whiterun, and even if I wanted to part with another thousand septims he doesn't even have a horse to sell me. In fact, he commented that he sold his last one recently ... to me. He's lucky I ignored his attitude. I'm not really in the mood for it today.

Why do the gods torture me like this?

BIGwooly

- 10th of Rain's Hand, 4E 202 -

By the divines! My mind is spinning! I can barely think .. let alone write.

Earlier today I decided to head to Riverwood with Kharjo. I thought it would be nice to see the area again and show my new friend where I had made my way. Besides, the shopkeeper in Riverwood always seemed to have something interesting for sale, and maybe he had something for me for once.

But on the way up into the mountains, with Whiterun still in sight behind us, we came across a disheveled couple on the road. I could tell right away they weren't bandits or thieves. So we approached them and struck up a conversation.

What I heard next brought my stomach into my boots. The couple, who apparently owned a farm in the Riverwood area, claimed to have been the victims of an attack ... by a dragon. A dragon!

I wanted to scoff at them. I wanted to shake some sense into them. But how could I? They were certain of what they had seen, and to be honest, I was believing them. It couldn't possibly be, but hearing their story left no room for denial. They weren't even interested in convincing us. The simply told their story and then moved on hurriedly down the road. It was as if they were still trying to escape the terror they had just experienced.

Not only did this dampen the mood for traveling to Riverwood, it left me with a feeling of responsibility. This poor couple had been so genuine. I mean, I believed them even though I didn't. I know it doesn't make sense, but that's how it was. And if nothing else, someone had to bring this information to the jarl in Whiterun.

With my stomach still sloshing around in my boots, we walked back down the road to the city. With every step I felt a sense of foreboding like I've never felt before. It was like being in a dream where you are walking toward some evil and you can't stop yourself. You just keep walking.

We just kept walking.

Before I knew it we were at the main doors of the jarl's palace. Every bone in my body wanted to turn around and forget the whole thing. But I couldn't shake the couple's story. It was too real. Too sincere. The jarl had to at least hear about it.

And this is where today really turned me upside down.

We spoke privately with the jarl on the matter, and to my utter shock and surprise, he acknowledged what we were saying. He all but admitted that the story was true. Well .. not our particular story, but the notion that there was a dragon in Skyrim! Impossible! But yet not.

After a lengthy conversation with him he brought us to the court wizard, who has apparently been studying the dragon phenomenon religiously for some time now. I still can't believe I'm even writing the words .. dragon! Dragon!

The court wizard was a bit stingy with information, but he has asked us to go to an old burial site to look for something called a dragon stone. Essentially the jarl himself has requested us to do this.

It is insanity. This can't be possible can it? Dragons? Real dragons? In Skyrim? No, it can't be possible.

The court wizard must be delusion and must have been feeding stories to the jarl. Perhaps he has been spreading rumors among the farmers as well. I don't trust him. Perhaps he even burned this farm down with magic and conveniently was present to blame it on a dragon. Or maybe he even used magic on the couple to confuse them into thinking it was a dragon.

Whatever he did, it doesn't matter. The jarl has requested we go retrieve this stone artifact for his wizard. We will do it, partly because the jarl has requested us to, and partly because it will pay well I'm sure. And for that matter, the burial site is fairly close.

I only hope Kharjo doesn't abandon me during the night. He was very appreciative of me returning his amulet, and he seems immensely loyal to assisting me, but he didn't like the talk of dragons any more than I did. I wouldn't be surprised if tonight is the last I see of him. I wouldn't blame him for leaving either.

BIGwooly

- 11th of Rain's Hand, 4E 202 -

Kharjo and I are at the Sleeping Giant Inn in Riverwood, waiting for the sun to break. We woke when the sky was still dark this morning over Whiterun. I wanted to get an early start on our day. After eating some sweet rolls we headed out in the dark.

A patrol of guards led our way, sent by the jarl to assist Riverwood in the event a dragon actually showed up. As much as I didn't want to take any of this seriously, everyone else seemed to be. I can't shake the ominous feeling I've had since yesterday. I feel like I'm still in the dream .. walking toward the evil.

The sun is breaking now over the mountains now. Time to go and see if legends are truth.

Thomas Liu

tyl089
Very good question. There are two reasons. First, I'm typically carrying around 95-96 and my carry limit is currently 99. This is just with my armor, mace, and some potions. So I literally don't have the physical ability to carry a bow.

The other reason is for roleplaying. My character, while able to use a bow, feels much more comfortable getting in close for combat. That's not to say he won't ever use a bow again. I'm sure he will. In fact, he just used one recently against a giant. But it's not going to be a regular thing for him.

Got it. Please keep up the great work. Also sounds like from your adventure that you are leveling up quite a bit now.

BIGwooly

Got it. Please keep up the great work. Also sounds like from your adventure that you are leveling up quite a bit now.

You bet. Things just got really interesting out of the blue, lol. As for the leveling, I'm at 22 now but that will likely slow down as I just took the Lady Stone blessing and will no longer have the Warrior Stone blessing.

BIGwooly

- 11th of Rain's Hand, 4E 202 -

What an exhausting day today has been. After getting up well before dawn and traveling to Riverwood, we headed up to this burial site half-asleep. The trail was lengthy, and wound back and forth as we climbed higher and higher. Pretty soon we had left behind the comforting greenery of the Riverwood area and entered the compassionless snowy world above.

Before we knew it we were in real danger. I saw it first, but Kharjo, who was trailing behind me, readied his bow as quick as an man or mer in danger of imminent death.

Ahead of us, on the trail, was a giant troll. It's white hair had blended in perfectly with the falling snow, and now it was too late. We were too close. It smelled us. Then it saw us.

I had already crouched down in the vain hope that it wouldn't see us. Now I stood, as the impressive beast lumbered erratically down the trail towards us. He was moving quickly, and I considered fleeing, but without a horse I wasn't convinced I would make it. And Kharjo was with me anyways.

He was firing arrow after arrow at the incoming terror. Some were hitting. Some were not. I couldn't blame him for his less than perfect aim. We were just standing there and this massive monster was bearing down on us. It became obvious that we were stuck in the fight.

I had never thought myself capable of killing a troll, not even with the help of another. But the display of teamwork we used against that troll was a thing of beauty. My words cannot do justice to the dance of skill we put on. When the troll attempted to attack Kharjo I would bash it with my shield, and then he would immediately strike it several times while it was recovering it's balance. When it turned to me Kharjo would do the same, and I would strike it several times as well.

For anyone that doesn't know, trolls can regenerate their health but they are weak with flame-based magic. My mace no doubt took a toll on the beast, as I kept lighting it up with every strike. I was somewhat surprised and definitely overjoyed when it finally fell to the ground dead. We cut it open and collected some of it's stinky fat, since it carries some value in the markets. Then we were off again.

A short bit up the trail we spotted a large tower. There was an equally large man resting against a tree out front, with another man patrolling back and forth through the entrance to the tower. This was not the burial site, and I had no desire to get involved in affairs that didn't concern me. I talked it over with Kharjo and we managed to sneak up and cut to the uphill side of the trail and bypass a confrontation.

Not too long after this the wind really picked up and the cold intensified. We were atop the ridgeline now, and a massive structure lay ahead of us. This had to be the burial site ... Bleak Falls Barrow.

As we approached several men appeared and assaulted us. One came at us with a large two-handed battle axe, but we put him down after a few minutes. The other two went down much more easily. We pulled what we could from them and then decided to return to Riverwood to make a trade for some coin.

After increasing our gold a bit and having some salmon and rabbit for lunch, I decided we should head back up to Bleak Falls the next day. It was only mid-afternoon, though, so I took Kharjo out to see the island where I used to spend so much time. The camp is still empty as far as I could tell. Surprising, really.

We were about to head back to Riverwood for the night when I got an idea. Back when I was living on the island I discovered a stone on an island in the lake. This stone is able to provide a blessing that allows you to recover from injuries and recover your breath more quickly. There are many such stones with varying qualities all over Skyrim. The stone I had previously taken a blessing from was for warriors, as it grants you faster learning for your skills of combat. But the lady stone was more appealing to me at this point, given the difficulty of the battles I've had to face recently. So I decided we should pay it a visit before we called it a night.

This decision nearly got me killed.

On our way to the stone we came across two mages locked in a duel. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a beautiful sight. One was using frost magic, and the other .. flame. As they dueled the alternating of frost and flame was an almost mesmerizing sight. Kharjo and I moved in for a closer look, as the battle seemed to be nearly even. Each time one mage would drop to a knee, the other would have to pause and rest. Then the first mage would rise to his feet and heal himself and they would duel a bit longer, only to have the other mage drop to his knee next.

This went on for quite some time, and we kept edging closer and closer to get a better view of the fight. Finally, the mage with the flame talent prevailed, and his icy foe fell dead. And before I could so much as acknowledge this the mage cast a fireball at me. It hit me before I could move, and the pain was intense .. like a hundred arrows striking you at once. I began dodging back and forth, avoiding the continuous onslaught of fireballs he sent my way.

Kharjo was doing his best to fire arrows in return, but none of them were hitting. The mage was careful to constantly adjust his position. So I realized I had to take the fight in close. I pushed in, and was struck by several fireballs in the process. I was badly injured now, and the mage was evading me on my flank. With much effort I turned and swung my mace in one brutal move that killed the mage outright .. just as he was about to slip away.

We took his things and then did the same to the other mage. After heading to the stone and receiving it's blessing we came back to Riverwood, which is where we are now. After some cooked beef and bread, and a few more glasses of this wine, I think we'll find ourselves a bed at the inn and get rested up for tomorrow.

I think we're going to need it.

BIGwooly

hate mages so much. you think that fire mage is bad, wait until one hits you with lightning.

At least my boots offer some magical protection against shock. I have no protection against flame, lol.

Dereon Rykker

Great stuff. I also hate mages. They inspired me to roll a Breton warrior for my roleplaying character just because of their added magic resistance.

BIGwooly

Great stuff. I also hate mages. They inspired me to roll a Breton warrior for my roleplaying character just because of their added magic resistance.

Good idea. I have a shield that gives 12% magic resistance, but that's not much.

Neriad13

Premium Member
I've been looking for more magic resistant stuff too. Currently, the only thing I've got is a necklace that gives me 15%. I wanted to enchant a pair of boots for it, but found that it sadly wasn't possible. And that there are no perks which add to the amount of magic resistance one is able to enchant. I guess it would make the game too easy?

This also causes me to remember sometime last month when I tried to kill the dragon of Lost Tongue Overlook. I hopped merrily up the stairs, thinking about how easy this is going to be and wondering what word I would find up there. Then BAM, ice spike to the face from out of nowhere. I'm like "Whuh? Raaaaaaaawr, I'll kill you wherever you are!" I go charging up the steps, trying to find the location of my attacker...before getting ice-spiked again and dying right there. I never even saw the guy who killed me. I've been too afraid to go back up there ever since. That is some nasty mage who can kill a Nord with an ice spell.

Neriad13

Premium Member
Holy crap. What difficulty are you playing on? Please say Master because if not then I am surely screwed if I ever go there, lol.

Noooo...it's adept. T.T I think I was just below level 20 at the time. Wearing heavy armor. With Marcurio as a companion. *sniffles in terror*

The weird thing is, I went there on a previous character and didn't encounter anything but the dragon there.

I've been looking for more magic resistant stuff too. Currently, the only thing I've got is a necklace that gives me 15%. I wanted to enchant a pair of boots for it, but found that it sadly wasn't possible. And that there are no perks which add to the amount of magic resistance one is able to enchant. I guess it would make the game too easy?

This also causes me to remember sometime last month when I tried to kill the dragon of Lost Tongue Overlook. I hopped merrily up the stairs, thinking about how easy this is going to be and wondering what word I would find up there. Then BAM, ice spike to the face from out of nowhere. I'm like "Whuh? Raaaaaaaawr, I'll kill you wherever you are!" I go charging up the steps, trying to find the location of my attacker...before getting ice-spiked again and dying right there. I never even saw the guy who killed me. I've been too afraid to go back up there ever since. That is some nasty mage who can kill a Nord with an ice spell.
that might be one of those soul gem trap things that shoot spells i've been one shotted by them before...

BIGwooly

- 12th of Rain's Hand, 4E 202 -

Another early morning for us today. I wanted to get an early start because I have a feeling we are going to have our work cut out for us with this burial site.

But on the way up, as we reached the tower with the bandits, I changed my mind and our plans for the day. On our last trip we had carefully snuck past them on the way up, but on the way back they spotted us and threatened us. I wasn't liking the idea that these bandits might wait until we were loaded down with something valuable and then attack us. So I decided that today we were taking control of the situation.

As we approached the tower the large nord was once again leaning against his tree. He drew his sword as we walked toward him. I drew my mace and Kharjo did likewise. The nord, not appreciative of our demonstration of force, stepped forward and began issuing threats again. We kept our pace toward him.

His confidence and temper got the better of him and he suddenly charged me. The second bandit came out onto a small bridge with his bow drawn, looking to assist his brutish comrade. I pulled my mace up high behind me and sent all my power into a blow that knocked the giant nord to the ground in a single strike. I had surprised even myself, and the second bandit was definitely in shock.

He continued firing arrows at us, and as one hit me I charged him. Kharjo and I made quick work of this highwayman, who only had a dagger for close quarters fighting. But as his dead body fell from the bridge the leader of the trio show up.

He had an iron helmet with horns and a shiny axe that looked adequately sharp. His body armor was also iron, as were his boots and gauntlets. This one was ready for a tough fight. But he was outnumbered, and in a short time he too was dead.

Kharjo and I inspected the tower to be sure there weren't any others, and then spent the rest of the day making trips back to Riverwood to sell off the bandits' gear. It took a half dozen trips, but in the end we collected several hundred septims for our efforts.

I kept the iron helmet and gave it to Kharjo, as he was in need of a helmet and had earned it. I also came across something special today while selling off the armor and weapons. The shopkeeper had an unassuming necklace tucked away and showed it to me once he learned of our conquest. The necklace attributes the wearer with additional ability for one-handed weapons .. like my mace. It wasn't cheap, and I'm sure I could have paid less for such a necklace in a market larger than Riverwood. But it was still worth the two thousand gold pieces I parted with to take possession of it.

Tomorrow I'm sure we'll enter Bleak Falls. I'm just not sure what we'll find.

BIGwooly

- 13th of Rain's Hand, 4E 202 -

It's well past dark and we are still inside Bleak Falls. It looks like we're going to spend the night here rather than trek down the mountain in the middle of a cold night. We have a fire going and there are two bedrolls left behind by the bandits we killed inside the temple earlier this morning. Still, I'd rather be in Riverwood tonight. I think Kharjo feels the same.

It was only just an hour or so ago that Kharjo and I headed down into a chamber that stank of death. We were following a man whose life we had saved from a giant spider. But after saving his life he ran off and tried to leave us behind in the tunnels. He was going on about some golden claw and some power of the nords. It all sounded like deranged gibberish, but we were curious so had pursued him.

But this chamber we entered ... an old burial chamber ... we knew something wasn't right with it. It wasn't just the smell of death. It was the feeling of death.

The man we were chasing had long since outrun us. Our heavy armor slowed our pace, and the man we were chasing was wearing simple and very light fur armor.

No longer trying to keep up, we crept into the chamber quietly. The farther in we went, the more uneasy we both felt. And the stench was nearly overwhelming. It wasn't until we saw the first corpse rise up and draw an ancient sword that we really felt fear. I had run into one of these once before near Falkreath. It was a draugr. An ancient corpse kept alive through some evil means.

We had to eliminate it to continue, so we shuffled quietly forward towards it. Then we notice there was another in the room, and we saw the body of the man we had been chasing. Kharjo panicked .. and lept forward to attack the closest draugr. With no choice but to follow his lead I broke from the darkness to help out. The other draugr, of course, lumbered over to join in. But I noticed a third rise up from his evil sleep and head our way also.

Luckily we dispatched all three of them with relative ease. It really helps that we found a glass mace in a chest that the bandits up in the temple had with them. The chest was locked, which usually means I never get to take a look inside. But today I had Kharjo with me, and if the khajit know anything it's how to sneak and pick locks. I happened to find some lockpicks on one of the dead thieves and Kharjo took care of the rest. I let him keep the mace, and now I'm glad I did.

With the draugr dead I wanted to push on, but we were tired and hungry and it was late. We were already fairly deep into the bowels of this temple. There was no point continuing our push into the night. So we headed all the way back up to the temple proper where the bandits had made their camp.

We've just finished our dinner, some bread and horker meat washed down with some stout nord ale. We'll sleep here tonight, in shifts. One of us will remain guard while the other sleeps, just in case more bandits show up during the night. In the morning we will have to decide on whether to delve deeper or head back to Riverwood. I had expected to find some food but we've found nothing, and we have nothing to eat for breakfast in the morn. I don't think either of us is willing to fight on an empty stomach if we don't have to.

BIGwooly

- 14th of Rain's Hand, 4E 202 -

It looks like we'll be spending another night on bedrolls in the temple. We drove deeper into this place today, and the deeper we went the more our noses curled. This place is foul, and I'll be happy when we're done here. Kharjo has expressed similar feelings. I almost feel bad that he's here with me.

We've slain another dozen draugr today. I certainly couldn't have done it so well without Kharjo's skills. We are becoming a great team. He also was able to unlock another chest we found today. It had a spell scroll and a potion and some gold as well. None of that would have seen the light of day had I been here alone.

We did finally have to turn back tonight, not so much because it was late, though. We have food and drink with us and our spirits were fairly high despite the rank odor here. No. We had to turn back because we had a close encounter with a troll.

Having killed a troll together just the other day I wasn't too concerned about this one. That's not to say I wasn't scared. What man isn't scared when faced with an angry troll? But I felt we would be able to dispatch it fairly handily.

I'm honestly still not sure quite what went wrong, but this troll was not dying. The both of us were giving it everything, and it just wouldn't die. At one point well into the fight, I took the brunt of several nasty swipes from the troll, and I knew I was in trouble. I had no choice at that point but to use my voice against it. This was not so much so that we could flee from it, but so that it would just stop attacking me.

As it was, the troll was trapped in between Kharjo and I, and while it was defenseless and afraid we finished it off with an exhausting flurry of strikes.

But with the power of my voice used up, and with not knowing exactly what lie ahead, I decided we should head back up and get some rest. In the morning we'll hike down to Riverwood and sell off what we've collected and pick up some more food. Then we will dive right back into the belly of this place.

Dereon Rykker

So you switched to the Lady Stone for increased health/stamina regen? I was considering that but I think I am going for the Lord Stone on my sword and shield warrior. +25% magic resistance and +50 armor rating. I will have 50% magic resistance on my Breton without any magical items with this perk. And since I use light armor for quicker movement the extra 50 armor rating will help a lot.

Something to consider.