Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Great read and glad your back writing again. it seems you run into a lot of random stuff in the wild, more so then myself. I am curious if you run any mod's with your game and if so what are they?
Also do you consider if Hrisskar has bulked up after becoming so skilled at fighting and hauling and etc. that his carrying limit has increased? I love the realism but reading how he must leave stuff behind or make several trips makes me live is fustration. lol
BTW, SyFy channel is calling.. they want to make your story into a TV series.

BIGwooly

Great read and glad your back writing again. it seems you run into a lot of random stuff in the wild, more so then myself. I am curious if you run any mod's with your game and if so what are they?
Also do you consider if Hrisskar has bulked up after becoming so skilled at fighting and hauling and etc. that his carrying limit has increased? I love the realism but reading how he must leave stuff behind or make several trips makes me live is fustration. lol
BTW, SyFy channel is calling.. they want to make your story into a TV series.

Do you fast travel a lot? That might be why. I never fast travel, so I have to walk or ride a horse everywhere. That may be why I run into this random stuff seemingly more often. I would love to run mods but I'm on the Xbox so I can't.

Actually, my carry ability increases gradually over time. It is 30% of what the game allows. So I started at 90 (if I remember right) and I'm now at 100. 335 x 1/3 My stamina gets increased every third level-up, so this is why I gradually can carry a little bit more. But it's just a little bit and yes, it can be frustrating to have to leave stuff behind or make multiple trips. d;-) But in the end it makes for fun gameplay because I don't have pocketfuls of gold constantly and for me it makes the game more realistic .. which enhances my immersion.

And if SyFy wants to make a show I'm down. I'm a cinematographer as it is. d;-)

BIGwooly

- 26th of Second Seed, 4E 202 -

I woke this morning knowing exactly what I wanted to do. I wasn't expecting that, but bless the divines that is how I awoke. I'm going to see the greybeards.

This experience with the dragon stone and the dragon and the magic power I've absorbed and being called the dragon-born … it has me so curious and confused. It sounds like the greybeards have a great amount of knowledge to share. I'm hoping they can enlighten me on all that has happened.

But this also means that Kharjo and I will have to climb to the top of the largest mountain in all of Skyrim. I've never done, and have only heard stories of the journey of seven thousand steps. All I know for certain is that it is a long climb up the mountain. Anyone with eyes and a view of it's peak could tell you that, though.

So we've purchased several days worth of food to carry with us. I don't know if how many days the trip will take, or if we'll be able to stay the night somewhere. I'm really hoping we don't have to rest overnight in the wild.

Before we leave Whiterun I'm going to stop by The Drunken Huntsman and pick up a bow and some arrows. I'm assuming there aren't more dragons flying around Skyrim. Yesterday's encounter was an anomaly I'm sure. But it's better to be prepared than not, and after yesterday's fight I may as well start carrying a bow again. If there is another dragon around I don't want to get caught by ourselves with no way to fight back.

After that we'll head east out of Whiterun and toward the great mountain. I have no idea how to get up to the top, but there must be a trail or a road somewhere. There is no way we can climb up the cliffs. Talos protect us.

BIGwooly

- 26th of Second Seed, 4E 202 -

We've arrived in Ivarstead. It took a full day to get here, and Kharjo and I are both ready for a bed.

We located a trail on the north side of the great mountain just an hour or so after leaving Whiterun this morning. I had no idea if this was the trail to follow, but it led towards the mountain so I decided to check it out.

The trail was old and not all that worn. Not a lot of travelers had been using it from the looks of it. But it was enough of a trail to follow, and within a short time we were climbing steeply up the side of the mountain.

It was disconcertingly quiet on the trail. It seemed all I could hear was the sound of our own footsteps on the snow. We kept a good pace, but still a cautious one. I fully expected to run into trouble at any moment.

But the trail just climbed and climbed up through the snow, and we saw nothing. Eventually, though, the trail broke from the snowy landscape and started downhill. We finally saw some signs of life .. some mountain goats and some butterflies, and the snow gave way to lush grass and brush.

Then I could see the trail merge with another, larger trail up ahead. We crouched and proceeded slowly, since bandits often like to prowl the areas where trails meet. But the area was clear of bandits and thieves.

By now it was around mid-day, so we stopped and had our lunch. Our vantage point stretched far to the east, across Windhelm and beyond to the shores of the sea. It was beautiful, and it reminded me of life a year ago .. when I would carelessly explore the mountains around Helgen and see similar such views. I do miss those days. I miss my father greatly. I don't write much about him because I don't know what to say. His memories are locked in my heart, and turning to the key to them is too painful still.

We broke from lunch and started up the trail again. But almost immediately we had to stop and hide. In the trees ahead I could make out what looked to be an ice wraith. As I watched it slither off another one appeared, and then another. It seemed there were three of them, and their paths were continuously crossing with ours. We would have to find another way.

The only other way to go was to our right, through the trees. So we started off, keeping a close eye on the wraiths.

It took some time but we were finally out of their sight and over a ridge. Ahead of us was a waterfall, with another in the distance. Two rives led away from these falls and joined together.

Kharjo and I hiked down the mountainside to the water's edge, and across the river we spotted a trail. It was likely the same trail that we had been following, as it continued off in the distance and climbed up the mountain again. The problem is that we also spotted a troll on the other side of the river.

The other problem was the river itself. It was deep and swift, and likely freezing cold. I was sure we could swim it, but we would have to remove our armor first and leave it behind. Considering there was a troll on the other side of the river. I also knew we couldn't just leave our armor behind. I scanned up and down the river for some way across but there was nothing. We would have to go back and find a way around the ice wraiths.

But I also knew we would still have to deal with the troll. So we took some additional time to watch him and scan the area around him. It appeared as if there was a side trail that lead up and around his position, so if we could just get past the wraiths we could avoid the troll as well.

We snuck back to our original position on the trail, and then watched the pattern of the wraiths. We needed to devise a plan that would allow us to slip between them without being seen. It looked like the best way to do this was to use a ridgeline to the left of the trail. Timing would be critical, though.

We waited a few more minutes to make sure we had the timing down, and then .. we ran. We ran as fast as we could to the ridgeline. One of the ice wraiths was ahead of us just a bit, and another was coming down the hill behind us. We were trapped between them but there was no other way.

By some deserved luck we made it off the ridge without being spotted. We were out of breath and shaking from the adrenaline. But we were safe and undetected.

As we headed up the trail we noticed the troll and a man were fighting just up the side trail we had planned to use to avoid the troll. That plan was now a bust, but the good news was that the troll was distracted. I paused momentarily, considering if we should come to the man's aid or not. But I couldn't tell if he was a bandit or not, so I wasn't going to risk it.

We headed upstream a ways and found a place to cross that was shallow enough. I looked back in time to see the man fall to the troll. We had no time to waste.

I crashed into the watter and Kharjo followed. We hit the trail on the others side and kept running until we were a hundred paces further. Just ahead was Ivarstead, which is where we will spend the night tonight.

BIGwooly

- 27th of Second Seed, 4E 202 -

We've just arrived back in Ivarstead from High Hrothgar. We had to really push ourselves as it was already evening when we left. Navigating up the seven thousand steps during the daylight was challenging enough. As it was, night still caught us on the mountain, but luckily it's a cloudless night. The glow of the heavens on the snow led our way down the path.

Before we left this morning we talked with a few of the locals to get whatever information we could. Having only heard vague references in stories to the seven thousand steps, I didn't know what to expect. From what the locals could tell us, we just needed to watch our footing and watch out for wolves.

I don't know how many of these locals actually climb the path and how many just say they have, because the first thing we ran into was an unhappy troll .. not a wolf. We also encountered an ice wraith, a snow bear and another troll. No wolves. Not a single one. I would have been happy to see wolves.

Regardless, we made it up the path around mid-day after having left at first light. There were stone statuettes with poetry sprinkled all the way up the path, and we stopped to read each one. It told of a story of the early days of men, when dragons clashed with them and men were given the ability to use the voice of dragons by the goddess Kynareth.

And then we came upon High Hrothgar. Finally.

highhrothgar.jpg

Inside we found the greybeards waiting. I can't even begin to write about everything that happened and everything I learned. But I can say that they did summon me with their voices and today they did teach me a great deal. I still have a lot to learn, but I now know I've been blessed with a gift by the gods themselves, much as Kynareth blessed the first men with the power of the voice. It is my goal to master this power and do the will of the gods.

My first task, however, is for the greybeards. I'm to retrieve the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller from a ruin near Morthal. But tonight we feast and sleep in Ivarstead. I'm not quite sure why, but Kharjo seems content with sticking with me despite everything. I'll have to buy him a nicer drink tonight.

Do you fast travel a lot? That might be why. I never fast travel, so I have to walk or ride a horse everywhere. That may be why I run into this random stuff seemingly more often. I would love to run mods but I'm on the Xbox so I can't.

I don't fast travel too much because i'm a weed picking/butterfly chasing Nord. After thinking about it, I believe the difference in our experiences is that when I die I don't rest for a week and let all that time fly by and also the fact that other than roads I rarely need or want to return to a previous spot I have cleared out. Your type of game play would allow respawning faster as well as taking different routes due to avoiding certain encounters when trying to collect things after a big fight and taking them back to sell.

And regarding a TV series, If they can give the book series "The Seeker" a shot on Fox, someone should be willing to listen about Hrisskar.

BIGwooly

I don't fast travel too much because i'm a weed picking/butterfly chasing Nord. After thinking about it, I believe the difference in our experiences is that when I die I don't rest for a week and let all that time fly by and also the fact that other than roads I rarely need or want to return to a previous spot I have cleared out. Your type of game play would allow respawning faster as well as taking different routes due to avoiding certain encounters when trying to collect things after a big fight and taking them back to sell.

And regarding a TV series, If they can give the book series "The Seeker" a shot on Fox, someone should be willing to listen about Hrisskar.

That makes sense. I do have to take alternate routes quite often, lol. I also take the world at a slower pace, so maybe that helps too.

Never seen "The Seeker" but a series about a character in TES would be awesome if it was done right. I'd support it, especially if it was about Hrisskar. d;-)

Thomas Liu

tyl089
Do you use the carriage/bus service provided on Skyrim though?

I knew you would use a bow. It's not a luxury; but a necessity.

BIGwooly

Do you use the carriage/bus service provided on Skyrim though?

I knew you would use a bow. It's not a luxury; but a necessity.

I used it a few times earlier in the game but I don't use even that anymore. Not saying I never would, but it just feels too much like cheating the experience to me.

The possibility of dragons means a bow is now a requirement for sure. d;-)

BIGwooly

- 28th Second Seed, 4E 202 -

We left Ivarstead behind at the crack of dawn this morning. The air had that biting, early morning chill to it, but it helped wake me up. I'm not one to get up early if I don't have to.

We took the trail down from the town and then veered off onto a side trail. It was the same trail we had spotted the other day. The one we were going to use to get around the troll. I was assuming the troll was still around, probably hanging out under the overhang by the river where we had seen him before. Today we would use the upper trail to bypass him.

All was well until we followed the upper trail back down to the river. The only place to cross, given our heavy armor, was upstream just a bit .. toward where I suspected the troll might be. But after scouting downstream it was clear that we would have to take the chance of being spotted. And sure enough, we were.

I dashed across the shallow rapids with Kharjo keeping pace right behind me. We ran straight off of the trail and into the trees and then crouched as low as we could. The troll was still coming, but he seemed confused. It was possible that he had simply caught our movement and wasn't sure what he had seen. We held our breath and waited impatiently, willing the troll to give up his search.

After a few more minutes of anxious waiting our concealment paid off. The troll wandered back across the river and left us behind. With smiles on our faces we continued, managing to sneak and sprint past the three ice wraiths as well.

With the major troubles behind us, we found a nice spot to stop and eat our breakfast. It was mid-morning now, and our stomachs were unhappy with our neglect. The view of valley was grand and the warmth of the sun made us want to just lay back and take a nap.

But Skyrim is not the best place to fall asleep in the wild. We got to our feet and continued down the path.

After a run-in with some wolves and spending a good hour or so walking down the path, we realized something wasn't right. Nothing looked familiar. We had just come up this path two days ago, but we recognized nothing. It wasn't until I saw a giant tree in the distance, that had fallen across a canyon by a massive waterfall, that I knew for sure we had gotten lost.

It was mid-day now, and we could hear an animal in the trees ahead of us somewhere. It sounded like a bear, and I wasn't eager to deal with that. I knew we could return up the path and find where we had lost our way, but hiking all the way back there ... uphill ... in heavy armor .. well, I just wasn't going to do it today. So if we weren't going to go uphill, and we weren't going to try and pass the bear downhill, that left only one option.

The tree that lay across the canyon was huge. We walked down to it and discovered it was in good shape. A tree with rot would have been a dangerous bridge. This tree would do, though. It was plenty large to provide decent footing, and thick enough to hold our weight.

It wasn't until we were both partway out onto the tree that I noticed the man in front of us. He was also on the tree, and had a bow with an arrow at the ready. It was an unlikely place for a thief or bandit, but the man didn't strike me as a hunter or woodsman either.

I took a step forward and opened my mouth to address him, but he raised the bow and immediately sent an arrow into my chestplate. I grimaced from the pain, but then quickly drew my mace as I saw him notching another arrow. This one found it's mark in my thigh.

A an old slippery log suspended high above a crashing river would not be my first choice of locations for a brawl, but I wasn't going to be a pin cushion for this degenerate any longer. I raised my shield and closed in on him quickly. He managed to get one more arrow into me before I was upon him.

logfight.jpg

In my mind, I already knew exactly how I wanted this fight to go. I was going to use my shield to knock this vagabond right off the tree. I actually expected my first attempt to work, but he absorbed the blow fairly well and quickly switched from his bow to a dagger. We traded blows back and forth, high above certain death. His dagger struck my shield and my shield struck back. I kept angling to get in position to knock him right off his feet and to his death, but he was cunning and seemed to know what I was up to. He kept a stray branch to his back and it was ensuring his place on the tree with me.

Before long I was out of breath and his dagger was finding it's target far too often. Kharjo was on the fallen tree behind me, doing his best to fire arrows at the man, but most of them were missing, and one managed to hit me. The fight was quickly getting out of hand, and the speed with which the man's dagger strikes arrived seemed to increase with each swing. He knew he was winning the fight.

With barely any air left in my lungs, I let out a shout. But not the shout you're probably thinking of. I didn't intend to strike fear into my opponent's heart and send him running. I chose my newly-learned shout of force, and pushed him backward away from me.

The timing was perfect. He slid backwards, no doubt shocked by the sudden burst of magic from a common-looking nord in heavy armor. I sprang forward and circled just to his flank. He didn't realize it yet, but he didn't have the tree branch behind him anymore. With all my strength I slammed my shield into him once more, and he stumbled backwards. His eyes went wide as he realized his error. There was no tree behind him to place his back foot on. Only air.

Like a slow dream he slipped and fell from the tree. I didn't see him hit the rocks below, but I heard him. There was no way he survived that fall. With our path clear once again, we continued back to Whiterun. Pretty soon we had come down into the valley and left the tree and the cliffs behind us.

logcanyon.jpg

We did run into one more situation on the way back to Whiterun. There is a bandit stronghold along the river, with a high bridge that crosses it. I killed the bandits here a while back, but a new group has apparently taken up residence there. We could see at least one guard posted on the road by the tower entrance, and another up on the bridge. For all we knew there could be even more inside. I wanted to find a way around this gang of criminals and avoid a confrontation.

The sun was still fairly high overhead as it was now afternoon. With the vibrant sunshine there was no way we were going to be able to sneak past the guard. So we sat there on the side of the road, hiding and scheming.

In the end, a simple fox provided a safe path for us. The poor animal came running up the river and the guard caught sight of it. A fox pelt isn't handsomely valuable, but it will fetch a few coins. The bandit knew this, and obviously was in need of a few coins as he took off running after the fox with a sword drawn. Even the archer on the bridge directed his attention to the show. Now was our time.

With the fox providing a perfect distraction, we sprinted past the tower and up the road. I chanced one look back and noticed the archer hadn't even see us. We were free and clear, and finished our trip to Whiterun with no further incident.

Grey Fox

That particular tree bridge has been the source of ALOT of laughs for me! You did VERY well not to fall off while fighting him. I power attacked my way right off the damn thing.

BIGwooly

That particular tree bridge has been the source of ALOT of laughs for me! You did VERY well not to fall off while fighting him. I power attacked my way right off the damn thing.

I bet. The whole time during the fight I thought for sure I was going to screw up and step off of the edge, especially when I tried to flank him. Badass place to get in a fight for sure, though!

Dereon Rykker

Where is this tree bridge? I don't think I've ever seen it.

Just a question - you may have answered before. How much food do you typically carry with you?

BIGwooly

Where is this tree bridge? I don't think I've ever seen it.

Just a question - you may have answered before. How much food do you typically carry with you?

It's down the mountain from the throat of the world .. on the side opposite of Whiterun.

As for food, it depends. If I'm just making a routine trip from one city to another I might carry just two meals. But if I'm headed into a cave or something I might take 2 or 3 days worth. And I have to carry food for my companion too.