Thrall Thread : Living with the dead

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Adam Warlock

Yeah i hear you get a lot of vampire encounters as a Dawnguard, although that would be weird being a Dawnguard with vampire thralls lol.
Oh , it`s very fun to take Lokil into the Dawnguard sleeping area at night.
All of them blissfully snoozing while he talks about how thirsty he is.
The ironic moments are many, especially when it`s vamp vs. vamp battles.
Too bad I see no method of keeping Lokil around for my eventual duel with Lord Harkon

Adam Warlock

You get a lot of vampire attacking the towns on the Dawnguard side though don't you?
YES ! and quite deadly too !
Casualties so far are 4 citizens in Riften including 2 turned to ash piles, Lami in Morthal , Ghorza in Markath and a few Guards
Random encounters have included :

Random pair of vamps just about anywhere.
Master Vamps with Death Hounds in cities
A Traveler who does the floaty thing and attacks you if you talk to him.
Vamps dressed as Vigilants( stripped Vigilant bodies nearby)

Between the Vampires and the Dragons , my Skyrim may become populated only by the essential or the very lucky.

My only city that has had no attacks by either is Whiterun(except for Ohdahving) .
We`ll see if that changes now that is controlled by the Stormcloaks

Adam Warlock

I never start the main quest before finishing all other quests so dragons are none for me.
I`ve been playing with my start-up character since Feb to get to 81 lvl.
Retiring Adam after completing main Dawnguard story line , but in no hurry there since I`m having so much fun with Lokil right now

Definitely avoiding killing 1st Dragon for my next character who will pursue the unused DB and Thieve`s Guild quests that remain before joining the Imperials and/or becoming a Vampire Lord
As I`ve learned from many such as yourself , you can get by without using shouts if you want to.

Adam Warlock

How do you do the Civil War without killing that Whiterun dragon ?(Message to Whiterun quest)
I understand Balgruuf won`t talk to you about the war until the Dragon Rising quest is over

Do that last as well, Besides it's hardly anything good in the first place. Just running to and from forts to kill continuously spawning archers.

Adam Warlock

^ yeah, the civil war was indeed the least interesting faction questline I`ve played.
Extremely easy with Lokil and a Volkihar to do most of the slaughtering in the big battles.
Except for getting Rikke , I now wish I`d jjust kept The Jagged Crown because it looks so cool
The house in Windhelm is prettty nice tho , and I`m currently stocking the armony , plaques , and display cases with my unique items that I don`t regularly carry

Adam Warlock

Interesting changes after the civil war. Blue Palace basement full of people who either praise me still or would love to see me dead.
Traveled around getting Thaned again by the new Jarls but the reward weapons the 2nd time around were pretty lame.

Between cities I was attacked by a trio of vampires.
Lokil and Legate Rikke helped me kill the Ancient Vampire and her 2 Mistwalker pals.

Upon thralling , this Ancient Vampire didn`t moan.
Completely silent with no monologue at all.
But she would emerge hostile after each Fast-travel attempt !
Curiously , Lokil wouldn`t get involved while we fought.

still a lot to learn about the new thrall landscape

You sound funny when you type, almost like you're a character in Skyrim writing a journal entry in Skyrim itself. Can just imagine stumbling on Adam Warlock's journal in a necromancers cave lol.

Golgo_SPB

So a minor update, when I did kill Wyndelius Gatharian in Shroud Hearth Barrow I neglected to open the puzzle door with the Sapphire Dragon Claw but when I finally did decide to actually open it and get the shout I come back to the Abandoned House in Markarth with Wyndelius gone!

I always thought he was a perma but I guess clearing the dungeon counts as a quest and he's apart of it so once I cleared it he disappeared. He was a pretty good thrall too... oh well!

So it's either keeping a good thrall or getting a underused shout...

Adam Warlock

Returned to Dimhollow Cavern(dawnguard) just to check on it`s status after nearly 70 days Skyrim absense.

It had not reset but I did find a couple of bodies still persisting among the dropped weapons and ash piles.

Vigilant Tolan was there , still unthrallable for some reason altho USEPWiki says he caps at lvl 30.
A Death Hound corpse persisting nearby.
Also a Master Vampire ! this guy does moan but what the hey , he`s a possible perma-vamp !

Further in , I found a Dragr Deathlord I had missed the 1st time thru (ebony war axe and shield).

In the final chamber , the Mistwatch Bandit Orc who was left behind when I thralled Lokil was still there in his custom gear.

I found a blurb online regarding the disappearance of thralls when entering the Volkihar Courtyard.
It recommended leaving thralls somewhere else if you`re doing the Chasing Echoes quest before entering the Soul Cairn.
So I`m going to leave Lokil and Legate Rikke at nearby Northwatch Keep with some small hope one or both will still be there when I return.
Reluctant to do this but I need the Blood Elder Scroll to advance now that the Dawnguard radiant quests have begun to repeat themselves after acquiring all the special items they have to offer

Adam Warlock

Windhelm`s Captain Lonely-Gale (killed by rogue Master Vampire) is apparently a permanent corpse.

After he failed to disappear , I hauled him to the cemetary and put his body on one of the stone graves where Helgrid prays over it each day.

When I took follower Vilkas by there to pay my respects , the Companion opined , " Poor bastard`s probably better off !"

Damn , I love this game

Adam Warlock

Now running with identical twin Master Vampires while testing Legate Rikke for permanency.

Lokil is a medium sized Nord with long brown hair parted in middle and beard tied with a skyrim scrunchy.
A "cultured" accent when he speaks
I have him in Red Vampire Armor with Daedric Greatsword of the Vampire and new Elven Bow with Turn Undead and Fire Damage.

I`ve found 3 unnamed MV`s like him so far , one randomly on the streets of Markarth and two in radiant quest dungeons.

This last one I found at Brittleshin Pass had kidnapped my wife , Ysolda.
He was already wearing Grey Vampire Armor of Extreme Destruction and I`ve given him Daedric Sword of the Vampire and a Dawnguard Shield along with Lokil`s old Forsworn Bow with shock/fire.
I`m calling him Likol since he`s a mirror image.

Both use shock , frost , and drain life spells .
they also love to loot and use destruction magic staffs and will stop using their bow if they get one

Adam Warlock

^ Sometimes their vocal clips will overlap in a spoken word version of row row row your boat and other times they are so quiet you have to check to make sure they`re still with you.

the lines they say do get repetitive after a time but it`s still WAY better than moaning

Adam Warlock

After some running around for about 10 days Skyrim time , the newly acquired Likol MV vanished during a transition but the original still remains with me.

Legate Rikke remains after 30 days absense from Honeyside where she was stored with a Mistwatch Bandit so I`m labeling her as a perma-thrall until I have evidence to the contrary.
USEPWiki marks her as essential but obviously that`s not the case if the Stormcloaks take over.
All of the other Legates scattered around the various hidden Imperial Camps remain unkillable however even if the other Imperial troops have been wiped out.
Please note that I had completed the Main quest to Sovngarde prior to the Civil War , so perhaps that`s why Rikke has not been moved to a gravesite in Solitude Hall of the Dead with General Tullius. It is reported that if you do the Civil War (stormcloak side) first , you will encounter Rikke in Sovngarde but idk if she can be thralled there or if she`s permanent

Will test Lokil for permanency next.

Zigfried

Whoah I'm a little confused partially probably because my conjurer is only at expert level conjuration so far but I just read the first 2 or 3 posts and don't understand.

I know that thrall's come from the master level rais dead spell and can be reanimated any number of times but leaving bodies in a house for 10 days? wouldn't they jsut disappear or are you talking aobut leaving active thralls in a house?

It's been my experience that undead don't always even follow you through a area transition from say a cave to the next section of the cave.

Adam Warlock

Whoah I'm a little confused partially probably because my conjurer is only at expert level conjuration so far but I just read the first 2 or 3 posts and don't understand.

I know that thrall's come from the master level rais dead spell and can be reanimated any number of times but leaving bodies in a house for 10 days? wouldn't they jsut disappear or are you talking aobut leaving active thralls in a house?

It's been my experience that undead don't always even follow you through a area transition from say a cave to the next section of the cave.
The vast majority of NPC , both named and generic , are temporary as you say.
They will typically vanish after a short time if you leave their cell (inactive)or during transitions(active).
Hanging on to a temp like this can work for a while if they are kept with you continously with some remaining longer than others.

But there are certain NPC who do not reset or respawn EVER ( at least under normal circumstances) and these are safe to leave anywhere for any amount of time.
As to why this occurs , apparently these do not have a respawn or Clean-up(assigned to coffin) script so their bodies simply have no place to go.
Patches to the game (applied after the events of my earliest posts) have greatly reduced the respawn time period (from 10 days to just one) for a lot of the temps and have provided clean-up for many others(notably Orcs from strongholds). Most disappear now with only a very few who respawn where you left them

So it`s kinda like the difference between driving your own car or joyriding a stolen one. the former can be parked and used again while the latter is just left behind after you`re done with it.

Permanent powerful corpses include Orchendor , Umana , Silus Vesuius , Arondil , Sulla Trebatius , Kornalus , Anska , and Anise.
Many other permanents of varying degree of power include members of the Khajiit caravans , Velekh Sain , and others right down to level 4-10 Citizens such as Seren , Lami , Fastred , Narri , Mathies , Captain Lonely-Gale etc.

For some , they will remain permanent so long as you don`t finish the quest line they are in , thereby avoiding invoking the clean-up script.
Haldyn(Rise in the East) , Escaped Criminal(companion`s radiant), and Wyndelius Gatherian fit into this category

Certain groups also appear to be permanent ( at least some of them) including Bandits from the Nilheim site and Mistwatch Bandits.

Many corpses that you find already dead(never lived) are permanent but they are extremely weak thralls due to low or zero health.

I`ve seen another Thrall thread where many who wish to play the game under the old rules simply refuse to patch or add Dawnguard DLC so they could do the things I related in those earlier posts. I might have done the same but my game was so bugged it had become unplayable without patching

Adam Warlock

^ Setting Thrall "bombs" is what I miss the most since the changes , although the mini-arena fights were also nice.
The battle in Understone Keep involving more than a dozen respawned Forsworn , Ondolemar with his 2 Thalmor Soldiers , Markarth Guards , and Reach Court members was perhaps my finest hour.
All that mayhem , unscripted by Bethesda , but tied to it since the Escape from the mine featured a Forsworn attack in the city.
Except my target was Ondolemar who got thrashed by a Frost Atronach conjured by a Ravager !
That I could watch it all while hiding in the shadows and giggling madly was sublime .
It was also sweet that I incurred no bounties with all those dead since none of the protagonists were under my "supervision" at the time

I may try another character fast-tracked to Dead Thrall and play unpatched to see how it works.
Most of my bugs didn`t start showing until level 50 or so.

Golgo_SPB

I found out that Summoning Arniel's Shade and the Call of Valor shout kill my thralls when used, I've yet to get Dawnguard so I'm not sure if this is true for when someone gets the DLC. Just thought I'd mention it.

Haven't been getting much unique thralls lately, just playing around with generic ones and perma corpses I already have. I swear my Anise had a different spell set when she was alive, as I thrall she's using Ice Spike and Storm.

Hajvarr Iron-Hand, Ulfr the Blind, and Ardwen and her dog are still where I left em. I should see if Galmar Stone-Fist is where I left him, last time he was still where I left him.