Why do some People think Ulfric Stormcloak is Racist

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Lizardking1

Out of 764 soundbytes that came with Ulfric's character not once have I heard anything racial coming out of the mouth of this man.

Here's what came close to him talking about the Dunmers

Driving the Empire out of Skyrim, and then taking the war to the Thalmor are presently more important then to worry about the Dark elves living condition. Ulfric isn't acting like a Jarl.... He's acting like a King.

If you go to a hospital ER with minor none life threatening injuries you will have to wait for your turn. After waiting for 3 hours to be seen by a doctor you get interrupted as someone with severe injuries just came in the ER, and was quickly seen by a doctor. While you may think it's unjustified after all that time you had to wait for the doctor... the fact is major events receives more attention.

I don't think he even comments much on what goes on in Wintherhold (didn't play Ice On Blood, glitched), so I guess that's as racist as he gets. If that's all I really see the "Ulfric is racist!" argument as pretty desperate. I'm not saying he's a free-loving hippie (although those dreadlocks...), but he's not racist either. I don't like him much either, all he does is sit on his throne all day and he's a bit condescendant, but not exactly racist.
Also I follow the Stormcloaks, not Ulfric. People also join the Empire and not Tulius.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Also, give the real life parallels a rest. They are out of context and downright silly. Video games are for fun, and war in video games is fun. Stop being political about a video game. Do you think that troll over there cares if you are a hippy? What about the lizardman casting magic spells? ...That's what I thought.

As an Argonian that reads books and saves children in his free time, I am offended.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
I think both sides are bad, but I'm no expert on Skyrim lore. Plus, I just don't want to get into an argument with Dagmar. She is the Defender of Bunnies and Goddess of Lore.

Prometheus100c

Prometheus
Racism is natural!
And i think the creators of the game created that hatred against others from basic human psychology.
'' This is mine, go away or i'll kill you'' thinking - The reptilian complex.
We can all sit here and discuss whether racism is a bad thing or good, but the thing is if stormcloacks weren't racists they wouldn't keep much longer as a people. They needed that bounding - the people.
Just as Hitler used to tell that all germans speaking countries - people should ''group up'' against the real enemy!

Funny thing is that Stormcloacks don't mind using other races as their slaves but they hate to obey to the empire. Smells WW2 enthusiasm from the game creators. Maybe we will see german tanks rolling in the field next time?

Die germanische volk bist zu mächtig! :Dragonborn:<3:beermug:

FullmetalHeart20

Racism is natural!
And i think the creators of the game created that hatred against others from basic human psychology.
'' This is mine, go away or i'll kill you'' thinking - The reptilian complex.
We can all sit here and discuss whether racism is a bad thing or good, but the thing is if stormcloacks weren't racists they wouldn't keep much longer as a people. They needed that bounding - the people.
But it could be so much better than that!

Lifts-Her-Tail

You know what? I now dislike Ulfric and it's a personal thing which is not my fault! Well it is, but theres a good reason! I attacked someone in The Jarls Palace thingy because they were being irritating and kept talking to me so I stabbed them and Ulfric had to get his bloody nose in my business and he killed me :sadface:

NoI didn't I simply pointed out that it's no less problematic
Yes, you did. You said,
Regardless of whether it is solely, partially, or not at all race based it's no less irrational and therefore no more laudable than racism and in the end it does little to differentiate how one evaluates the character of a person, especially if the xenophobia is partially or wholly based on race or ancestry.
I wasn't arguing with you about how to evaluate Ulfric morally; you mentioned how xenophobia, regardless of its basis (which is also debatable) is just as awful as racism as if to strengthen your points. The argument was whether or not Ulfric was a racist or a xenophobe, not whether or not he was morally righteous.
I'm observing actual things that go on in the game that support the notion that he's racist while the only things you attempt to rely upon are observations about the game that you can't even link to the situation of the Dunmer in Windhelm other than by using pure speculation with no sound logical basis to do so other than try to bridge that rather large gap to support a weak position refuted by the game lore.
I disagree. I don't think you observe actual things in the game that support the notion that he's racist, as much as you misunderstand the differences between the terms of "racism"; "xenophobia"; perhaps let's throw "nationalism" in the mix. By the way, that was a long run-on sentence.
This does absolutely nothing to refute the fact that the Dunmer are the only group that have enforced segregated living arrangements and that it's based on their race.
It refutes that there is no other character in the game who can refute the basis on which the Dunmer were "segregated". It also refutes that there is an imaginary "population" of Altmer "in" the city (isn't she the only one "in" the city?). Are there any Bosmer, Orc, or anything besides human elements in that city for the most part besides the LARGE population of Dunmer refugees?
No it doesn't. The government in each hold is a feudal monarchy. Any policies and laws of the Hold other than those prevailing as Imperial law are by will of the Jarl and the Jarl alone and the acquisition of residence is also by will of the Jarl as illustrated by the fact that the Jarl or his or her Steward have the sole authority to grant your character a home in a capital city.
You become easily confused. Earlier you said that the Dunmer have lived in Windhelm for generations (I can't find this, but I can use it). Where did they originally live when they first arrived, generations before Ulfric was born? Did they live in the houses occupied by the other families of Windhelm or were they put in a part of the city unoccupied so that they could be protected as refugees? Now, if Ulfric was born after they moved into the city, assuming that have always been relegated to the slums, why does it make so much sense that when he become Jarl he suddenly elected to segregate them? It's much more likely that this segregation existed before he was Jarl, and he is just continuing to allow it, albeit ignoring them for the war and for Nords. Again, not racist as much as negligent of anyone but Nords. Unfortunately for the Dunmer, they are the primary Non-nord race, and they are also refugees from Morrowind. This is why the "segregation" stands out so much.
She says nothing of the sort. All she is doing is expressing her opinion that if the Dunmer were more clever and practical they might find a way of turning around their situation.
She said "The Dunmer are too proud and naive to see the way things truly are, and so they continue to dwell in that slum." Either way, she is THE other elven citizen who potentially falls under "racism" category, and she describes how she avoided it prejudice, and how they did not. Whether this is opinion, or intelligent observation on her part is not understood no matter how much "lore" you gather (And we all know you are a champion of lore).
Elves of the Aldmeri Dominion are Altmer and Bosmer and the Thalmor are only Altmer. The actions of the Thalmor bear no relevance in how the Dunmer are perceived. The fact that the Altmer aren't treated with suspicion at all by the Nords of Windhelm also completely dismisses this notion as has been pointed out to you before.
My argument never mentioned the Aldmeri Dominion. Nords are distrustful of all elven kinds. Which Altmer? Niranye? She was treated with suspicion.
I have presented as solid evidence as necessary and it's very tellng that you completely ignored the content of my post which does so. I have provided a dialogue which flatly states that the Dunmer are forced to live the Gray Quarter. I've also relied upon the fact that it predates any of the non-existent non race based reasons you've attempted to fabricate. I've also pointed out why it's existence can't be explained away by notions of suspicion or cultural contamination and can only be explained in terms of being based on their race.
You're right; Tamriel is a planet lolwhut and a lot of the other hypocritical speculation you draw from the game experience (and then insult me for my own observations) definitely belongs under "solid evidence". Who forced them to live there? I already said Ulfric wasn't born when you claimed they reached the city. During that time they were obviously still ghetto-based. So, you can observe that as "Yeah, he doesn't care about them" or "Yeah he's a filthy racist for not caring about them" that latter of which is fallacious.
It does nothing of the sort. The fact that xenophobia in and of itself may be based on many things does absolutely nothing to support your flimsy argument that the xenophobia regarding the Dunmer of Windhlem is anything but race based.
I already explained why it does.... about twice. This doesn't do away with my premise at all.
That's a completely illogical position to take. You don't have to believe that Ulfric is a racist to accept the fact that if Ulfric was actually concerned with the Dunmer contaminating Nord culture he wouldn't allow them to roam freely in the city as forcing them to live in the Gray Quarter does nothing to address a concern about cultural contamination. Nor do you have to accept that he's a racist to accept the fact that there's no concern about the Altmer residents of Windhelm doing the same even though there's an undeniable concern by the people of the Empire in general that the Thalmor present a very real threat to the cultures of all the provinces of the Empire. What you do have to do to not accept these facts is engage in willful blindness to what the game presents to you which is why I accurately state that you ignore game content as part of your attempts to support your weak positions.
You also don't have to be convinced that Ulfric is a an "absolute filthy" racist. There's nothing in the game that indicates he is an extreme racist or that it's a dominant core aspect of his personality, but he owns the segregation policies that he enforces and it's inaccurate to claim that the game doesn't attribute that relatively mild racist characteristic to him.
He clearly continues the segregation policies but most likely because he doesn't care about the situation. Whereas that depicts racism, it does not make him racist. What can he do to influence the autonomy of his other "racist" citizens?
You have yet to present any basis from the game that supports any of your notions. Your arguments to the exent that you've tried to point to game content are either distortions of game content or are generic and can't be linked to anything that's going on in Windhelm which renders them valueless as support for your positions, especially in light of the fact that there is game content that directly supports and establishes that the segregation of the Dunmer in Windhelm is based on their race.
If you had attended all of my points instead of picking ones you thought you could run-on-sentence away, maybe you would be more inclined to understand the logical basis for my notions. Maybe you do understand and you're stubbornly insisting that there is only one absolute answer, or you misunderstand in general.
When you take unintelligent positions and they get picked apart as such that's not mockery of your intelligence but taking them as an affront to the same simply because they are not given undeserved reverence or respect is a characteristic of pretentiousness.
But your positions are even more unintelligent, and yet I am not foolishly and pretentiously mocking them as being "without intelligence" when I have understanding of the concept of unique experiences, and gray areas of potentially endless points-of-view thrown at each other. You attempt to insult those with whom you engage in E-video-game arguments because they have a difference of opinion. I'm further impressed that you dare call me "pretentious" when it absolutely defines you from first letter to last end statement. Thank goodness you have an established cheering crowd for your classy debating methods full of content (half of which is a long run-on sentence attempting to deconstruct me as a character, rather than my argument) and flawless arguments. ;)

FullmetalHeart20

He doesn't end it after the Civil War. No battles, no sieges, years at least before they could even think about attacking the Dominion. Ulfric could end the segregation any time once his biggest headache is taken care of, and he chooses not to. I'd also like to point out that his lack of aid extends to the entire hold. Free-Winter actually gives you a quest to deal with bandits that Ulfric can't be bothered with because they don't attack proper Nords.

He doesn't end it after the Civil War. No battles, no sieges, years at least before they could even think about attacking the Dominion. Ulfric could end the segregation any time once his biggest headache is taken care of, and he chooses not to. I'd also like to point out that his lack of aid extends to the entire hold. Free-Winter actually gives you a quest to deal with bandits that Ulfric can't be bothered with because they don't attack proper Nords.
His neglect of them doesn't make him racist. Pointing out the lack of aid to the entire hold kind of reinforces the argument that he is not racist against a single race (which wouldn't make sense to begin with), rather xenophobic and inconsiderate of all of them. Of all the flaws he has, I find calls of "racist" to be illegitimate.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Isn't it just possible that Ulfric is simply a megalomaniac who only trusts and approves of those who support his ambitions and lust for self-importance, which just happen to be Nords in this case?

Ivory

Let's Player
While I agree with you morrigan, I still have to agree with those who feel Ulfric is racist. Maybe not out in the open, but his disregard for the suffering for Argonians and Dark elves shows that to a degree, he just outright doesn't care about other races, as the Nord who takes his place if Ulfric is killed says time and time again.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
While I agree with you morrigan, I still have to agree with those who feel Ulfric is racist. Maybe not out in the open, but his disregard for the suffering for Argonians and Dark elves shows that to a degree, he just outright doesn't care about other races, as the Nord who takes his place if Ulfric is killed says time and time again.

And you think the Argonians and the Dunmers of Windhelm cares about other races? After all it's not their war to fight remember? :)

Oh and don't forget this
TESV2012-10-0819-16-34-22.png

TESV2012-10-0819-17-04-58.png

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I believe if we couldn't work out our differences on the last 300 threads, we won't here.

These threads are endless, it'll be the same always if it is either about Imperials and Stormcloaks, Tullius or Ulfric. We know the outcome of these threads but can't resist the urge to post in them, they start out peaceful until about halfway where we are at each others throats, then towards the end we're in our trenches. :p

I think everyone in skyrim is a bit messed up, you don't meet normal people. People hate the empire because they tried to cut off your head, yeah that seems fair I suppose but try walking one end of the map to the other, see who doesn't want to cut off your head. Beth made it so it is hard to find the good and the bad, which makes it more interesting when you join a side and realise they aren't the good guys and you join the other and realise the same thing. It is a civil war, friends against friends, a father against a son, brothers against brothers. It isn't supposed to have a good and bad. It isn't exactly Stormcloaks fighting Imperials, there are many races in the Empire and many of them in skyrim are Nords.

I think like 90% of people in skyrim are racist, the stuff they yell at you depending on race in combat and such.

I generally just kill anything. But I mainly side with the Empire I dislike Ulfric using his voice as a weapon it goes against the way of the voice, only the dragonborn is the exception, there can only be one badass mofo who kills you by shouting, If I'm willing to invade Morrowind single handed to kill someone else who can shout, I'd take on Ulfric.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
I generally just kill anything. But I mainly side with the Empire I dislike Ulfric using his voice as a weapon it goes against the way of the voice, only the dragonborn is the exception, there can only be one badass mofo who kills you by shouting, If I'm willing to invade Morrowind single handed to kill someone else who can shout, I'd take on Ulfric.

Who died and made the Greybeards kings of the voice? What right do they have to say that the voice should only be used for peace reasons? That's what I want to know. I hate the Blades with the passion, but I agree with Delphine when she tells you "If they had their way, you'd do nothing but sit up on their mountain with them and talk to the sky, or whatever it is they do. The Greybeards are so afraid of power that they won't use it. Think about it. Have they tried to stop the civil war, or done anything about Alduin? No. And they're afraid of you, of your power. Trust me, there's no need to be afraid. Think of Tiber Septim. Do you think he'd have founded the Empire if he'd listened to the Greybeards?"

Oh and if Ulfric hadn't used the voice to take back the reach from the forsworn the Empire wouldn't had control over the holds. Ulfric did the Empire a favor by using the voice to fight against the forsworn, and winning back control over the reach.

ShangTsung

first off let me say that Ullfric stormcloak is my favorite npc in all of Skyrim, he has the coolest sounding voice of anyone on the game and his story is freakin awesome, he is the reason to this day i have NEVER joined the imperials, not even to see how that story plays out.. a lot of characters on the game have racist views against elfs, argonians, ect but do i really have to state the obvious fact that THESE ARE NOT REAL PEOPLE!!! its not like the characters of this game are tossing out racist slurs against whites, blacks, or asians.. these races on the game are part of a story, a fantasy, and not to be taken literally.

Docta Corvina

Whether you wish to call it racist or not (and I myself certainly see how it's called as much), Ulfric's raging apathy, which is the most positive spin you could put on his inaction and disinterest in all of his constituents' well-being, comes back to haunt him in the end. The most immediate evidence appears in Windhelm itself, where you can speak to Nords who don't accept the status quo wholesale, at least one even wishing to see Ulfric removed altogether because of his perceived ineptitude and glaring lack of care for the plurality under his default protection. The policy with the Dark Elves is enforced on a racial basis. There is nothing to indicate that it's purely on suspicion of aiding or favoring the Empire, because if that were so we would then have to wonder what makes Brunwulf so special as to escape the policies. The difference being, of course, that he's a Nord. I see no evidence of a concern for dilution of the local culture, when the policy does not appear to apply to anyone but Dunmer (in the Gray Quarter) and Argonians (on the docks).

At the end of the day, his maintenance of the policies come at his own detriment. They've done nothing but continue to heighten tension and mutual distrust in the city. Where he could have tried to extend a hand of reconciliation to the Dunmer and maybe even try to bring the Argonians less out of almost total alienation, he has apparently done nothing to attempt as much. Had he brought such people under his banner amicably long ago, he could have reaped the benefits now. On top of that, when even his own soldiers express concerns over things they've heard about him and admit their own reservations, that speaks volumes. But again, Ulfric was built to be a problematic leader for an immediate cause (expulsion of the Thalmor) that even many Legionnaires could sympathize with.

FullmetalHeart20

His neglect of them doesn't make him racist. Pointing out the lack of aid to the entire hold kind of reinforces the argument that he is not racist against a single race (which wouldn't make sense to begin with), rather xenophobic and inconsiderate of all of them. Of all the flaws he has, I find calls of "racist" to be illegitimate.
Then what does? Please tell us all your magic formula for racism, since Ulfric seems to be missing that edge.
Also, Raijin, you'd be bitter too.