What are your views on dating?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Znowcicle

Chimera~
I'm a curious person, and I know that everyone is different. Living in a small town and watching "reality TV" has not given me the best ideas (I'm only assuming) about how the world is today, so I want to know how it is from real people like you! How do you go about dating someone? Do you progress quickly or slowly? Do you try and get as many people as you can or do you like to have one person at a time? Do you understand casual dating? (I don't, if that question seems a little weird) Just things of that nature.

My views fall into a category of which I'm not sure of the name. I don't agree with one night stands, cheating, or no tie sexual relationships. But just because I don't agree with those things does not mean that you're wrong. Everyone has their own opinion, and as I mentioned earlier, everyone is different.

You will not be judged for what you decide to share, this is purely to broaden horizons and to share different views on the subject.

GayGoblin

I'm the One who Stole Your Sweetroll
There are a lot of ways to date, none of which are entirely wrong (unless abusive or forced etc...) though some are, perhaps, not quite as agreeable.

I'm partial to the idea of courtship--meaning, asking the parents permission before you take out their child.
Or, casual dating before going steady. It means a lot if you befriend a person, go on a few dates, and get to know each other before plunging into a real relationship--a lot of teens are skipping the "get-to-know-you" stage and getting to know each other while dating.

I also believe in modesty--no inappropriate touching, regardless of being in public or not. Always respect your partner and make sure they are on the same level as you when it comes to touching, kissing, etc.

Znowcicle

Chimera~
And I agree with you. I get the feeling that a lot of people my age are just dating based on looks. Having a fling and then deciding "oh this is boring now I'll move on to someone else now". I witnessed many crying fights last year in high school. One of my friends sister got pregnant and everyone blamed the guy in the relationship for getting her pregnant, but everyone knew that they didn't use a condom. He, sadly, did not step up and be a father, but instead got another girl pregnant and continued to mess around with many other girls. It makes me worry just how much stress is put on getting to know someone before you strip their clothes off.

I cannot say much in defense of teenagers skipping the "get-to-know-you" stage because I only knew my current boyfriend for three weeks before we started dating. He is a gentleman though and had no opposition to meeting my parents, who knew about him since I talked about him almost every day. Haha. He respected my boundaries and did not force anything upon me, which was very much welcomed by me since my last boyfriend before him wanted more than I was willing to give. I had my first kiss with my current boyfriend, I waited until I was 15 and we had been dating for over half a year.

I only felt the need to share that last bit because when I share it with other teenagers they stare at me in shock and ask "really?". It's almost gotten to the point to where I'm uncomfortable about my self-conservation...

GayGoblin

He respected my boundaries and did not force anything upon me, which was very much welcomed by me since my last boyfriend before him wanted more than I was willing to give. I had my first kiss with my current boyfriend, I waited until I was 15 and we had been dating for over half a year.

I only felt the need to share that last bit because when I share it with other teenagers they stare at me in shock and ask "really?". It's almost gotten to the point to where I'm uncomfortable about my self-conservation...

And good for you!! I really applaud that. I was 18 before I had my first boyfriend/first kiss.

Sadly, the relationship ended much like yours with your ex before you current bf. He really did not seem to understand that when I said "Don't touch me that way, it does not make me feel loved" that I meant it. He even said "I feel like I'm giving up everything, and getting nothing in return." And I ended it.

Ain't no way someone is going to tell me what to do with my own body ;) and I feel no shame. Always stick to your personal limits - don't give people an opportunity to make you regret knowing them.

Znowcicle

Chimera~
Sadly, the relationship ended much like yours with your ex before you current bf. He really did not seem to understand that when I said "Don't touch me that way, it does not make me feel loved" that I meant it. He even said "I feel like I'm giving up everything, and getting nothing in return." And I ended it.

Ain't no way someone is going to tell me what to do with my own body ;) and I feel no shame. Always stick to your personal limits - don't give people an opportunity to make you regret knowing them.

That was very bold of you and it's good you feel no shame over it. Your body is yours to do with what you wish, not what everyone else wishes. And that is very wise advice.

I do wish that I had ended the relationship with that ex in a better way though. I felt uncomfortable with what he wanted, although he never vocalized it I knew, and he was very smothering. We had let him borrow a cell phone and he called and texted me constantly. We were on the phone one night and he told me he loved me, it was not ten minutes after that I texted him saying I didn't want to be with him. I believe I was 13 at the time, and I knew that I didn't want that. I was way too young to even begin to think about love.

After we had broken up and went on to high school, we would sit around the same table but he would never speak to me, ever. He even dated everyone of my friends, and I hear he is a jerk now. It almost makes me feel bad over breaking up with him, but I know I made the right decision and I can only hope that he finds the right path. I've told my current boyfriend about the feeling of guilt I carry (It's not exactly guilt but it's like it) and he said that he probably dated all my friends to make me jealous and that me breaking up with him probably hit him really hard. Coming to that realization has helped when people bring up my ex and now I don't think about it at all, really.

GayGoblin

You have a very wise and thoughtful boyfriend for listening to and helping you figure that out.

Oh wow, thirteen is pretty young! Well, at least at thirteen you had the sense to realize things were not right and get out of it before it could get out of hand.

Znowcicle

Chimera~
Yes, and thank you. Although I do not think I had a lot of sense due to the fact that I started dating in fourth grade. I had six boyfriends before my current one. I never did anything with any of them, and I don't really consider them boyfriends. I wanted to befriend them, and the only way I thought to do that was to date them. I played video games with them and played tag. I just wanted to have male friends. *shrugs* I was confused and it took me too long to realize my mistaken thinking. I stopped dating my last year in middle school (That's when I broke up with my last ex) and stayed single for two and a half years until I moved to a different high school and met the person I'm with now. I only wish my parents had been helpful in helping me understand that I don't have to date a boy to be friends with him.

Dating. To start, you'd need a basic level of guts, but if you ask, nothing bad will happen so just ask. The dating itself; take it slow, no pressure, chill out. Just talk a bit, see if you have some "common ground". Of course, you would need to find the other physically attractive as well, or a relationship won't work.

Did the date go well? On the first date, you usually shouldn't really be kissing afterwards, unless there really is a spark. Again, no rushing, and try to see what the other wants. If there was some kind of click, you should definitely date some other time as well, and should propose this. Only when it gets serious, you should ask the parents for permission. We are not living in the 1200s or anything.

Hope i helped a bit by sharing my opinion!

GayGoblin

Yes, and thank you. Although I do not think I had a lot of sense due to the fact that I started dating in fourth grade. I had six boyfriends before my current one. I never did anything with any of them, and I don't really consider them boyfriends. I wanted to befriend them, and the only way I thought to do that was to date them. I played video games with them and played tag. I just wanted to have male friends. *shrugs* I was confused and it took me too long to realize my mistaken thinking. I stopped dating my last year in middle school (That's when I broke up with my last ex) and stayed single for two and a half years until I moved to a different high school and met the person I'm with now. I only wish my parents had been helpful in helping me understand that I don't have to date a boy to be friends with him.

Wow, did you ever tell your parents this? They might be interested to know - I always talk to my mom, and ask her a lot about her previous dating experiences, how her parents acted towards each other/around her, etc because it helps me get a better understanding of her own personal beliefs and why she raised me the way she did. Plus I find it hilarious that nearly everything I have been through, my mom went through or worse.

(yes, I draw self-portraits =) )

Dating. To start, you'd need a basic level of guts, but if you ask, nothing bad will happen so just ask. The dating itself; take it slow, no pressure, chill out. Just talk a bit, see if you have some "common ground". Of course, you would need to find the other physically attractive as well, or a relationship won't work.

Did the date go well? On the first date, you usually shouldn't really be kissing afterwards, unless there really is a spark. Again, no rushing, and try to see what the other wants. If there was some kind of click, you should definitely date some other time as well, and should propose this. Only when it gets serious, you should ask the parents for permission. We are not living in the 1200s or anything.

I find it extremely important to be physically attracted to the person you're dating - it is not superficial, it is just instinct. I tried convincing myself I was attracted to someone physically, when it was only mentally, and it just did not work - because, obviously, I was lying to myself. So, totally agree there.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
I personally can't stand it. And that's relationships in general. My standards are set so terribly high that I usually judge a person the minute I converse with them for the first time. Not only that, I'm anti-social. I can't stand going out. I don't like being around people. Hell, I don't even have any friends to hang out with. So, I've resigned myself to being alone for the rest of my life. And good thing, dating, courtship, and an actual relationship just seems like too much damn work.

GayGoblin

I personally can't stand it. And that's relationships in general. My standards are set so terribly high that I usually judge a person the minute I converse with them for the first time. Not only that, I'm anti-social. I can't stand going out. I don't like being around people. Hell, I don't even have any friends to hang out with. So, I've resigned myself to being alone for the rest of my life. And good thing, dating, courtship, and an actual relationship just seems like too much damn work.

As long as you are doing what makes you happy, then there is no problem there. They are a lot of work, a lot a lot a lot a lot... *many "a lot's" later* of work.

I remember part of the reason I waited so long for my first kiss was that I became terrified and disgusted by kissing - a friend was always making out with her boyfriend... gross... loud... sloppy... disgusting kissing. I felt like I could hear it everywhere I went D8

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Well, I'm not a sexual touchy feeling person anyway. I'm celibate, so that's usually a major turn off to a potential partner. And sure, being alone all the time can get...well lonely. But to me it's better then the alternative. Constantly being annoyed.

caravan guard

lone Khajiit
Honestly I just chill out with a girl for atleast a month. After that I'll ask her if she wants to date. If the answer is yes, we usually go to the mall. I usually bring like 30 dollars. The reason being, I have beem on dates where the girl is hungry and All I could afford is something she doesn't like. Or if she wants to buy a matching hoodie always pay for your self. Only let her pay if she really wants too.

Next date we go to Brusters. From there let her pick out anything. now be careful usually on the second she wants to do exciting stuff. but you have to be cool. After we're done I pretend to take her home. But I take a different street and go to the adventure landing. Get a pizza and talk some. After that play lazer tag and let her win the first time. Second time make sure to beat her.

From there I usually take her home and talk on the way. Take mental notes of what her Favorite colors are, favorite movies, things in common, what sport she plays/watches.

Now the 3rd date you do an exercise activity. Do what ever sport she plays. Like my Gf plays tennis so she taught me how to play L0L and let me tell you it was hard. After that take her home and get rest.

For the rest of the dates let her pick it out UNLESS she wants you to pick.
I am only 15 so this stuff might not work for older people IDK this is just what I did.
Oh and always be truthful.

caravan guard

lone Khajiit
Oh and I understand my Ideas probably won't help women looking for men srry

Znowcicle

Chimera~

I don't believe in kissing on the first date. It's too fast for my pace, not that I've really had the opportunity since I've not done that dating you're describing. Everyone has said something about dating before getting serious. I didn't with my current relationship. :confused: I said earlier that we met and talked for about three weeks, I asked him to come to the county fair with me and my best friend and then the day we were supposed to go we were sitting in the bleachers in gym and he had his arm around me (We were just friends so that was kinda weird but we liked each other so I guess not totally weird) and a girl in front of us asked if we were dating and I said, "No, not unless he wants to." And then I glanced at him and he asked if I wanted to be his girlfriend.

Now I know this will sound odd but I asked him in response, "Why?" He sat there quietly (He told me later on that he felt extremely stupid for asking) and then I spurted out, "Yeah, I'll go out with you. Yes." I had never imagined a situation like that going the way it did. He just started smiling and we went to the fair that night and he met my mom and my stepdad and my best friend who threatened him. XD Now we've been dating for two years this September.

Wow, did you ever tell your parents this? They might be interested to know - I always talk to my mom, and ask her a lot about her previous dating experiences, how her parents acted towards each other/around her, etc because it helps me get a better understanding of her own personal beliefs and why she raised me the way she did. Plus I find it hilarious that nearly everything I have been through, my mom went through or worse.

(yes, I draw self-portraits =) )
I've told my mom about it, later after I figured it all out during that period when I was single and getting my thoughts straight about what I wanted. I wasn't ready for any kind of relationship. I was way too young but the media and other people in my school really confused me. I didn't have a model at home because my parents divorced and basically spit fire at each other and my mom was in I think four violent relationships afterwards so...I was kinda on my own. When I could talk to her, I would, but we're so different (Aside from the paranoia and mood swings) it's hard to get good advice from her that would work for me.

You're self portrait is very realistic and I love the shading and the angle. :3

Relationships are a ton of work, as Goblin already stated, and I don't blame you for choosing to be alone. I do the same thing, judging people the first time I speak with them. It's sometimes a good thing to do that. It keeps me away from annoying and terrible people. You also mentioned being celibate, all I can say is that it keeps you safe from lots of things that having sexual relations opens you to such as unwanted pregnancy, STDs, and other health issues. Not to mention the heartache that comes with giving yourself to someone and then them leaving you. (That hasn't happened to me thank the gods.) And you said you don't have friends to hang out with, you technically hang out on here with friends don't you? :D

Honestly I just chill out with a girl for atleast a month. After that I'll ask her if she wants to date. If the answer is yes, we usually go to the mall. I usually bring like 30 dollars. The reason being, I have beem on dates where the girl is hungry and All I could afford is something she doesn't like. Or if she wants to buy a matching hoodie always pay for your self. Only let her pay if she really wants too.

Next date we go to Brusters. From there let her pick out anything. now be careful usually on the second she wants to do exciting stuff. but you have to be cool. After we're done I pretend to take her home. But I take a different street and go to the adventure landing. Get a pizza and talk some. After that play lazer tag and let her win the first time. Second time make sure to beat her.

From there I usually take her home and talk on the way. Take mental notes of what her Favorite colors are, favorite movies, things in common, what sport she plays/watches.

Now the 3rd date you do an exercise activity. Do what ever sport she plays. Like my Gf plays tennis so she taught me how to play L0L and let me tell you it was hard. After that take her home and get rest.

For the rest of the dates let her pick it out UNLESS she wants you to pick.
I am only 15 so this stuff might not work for older people IDK this is just what I did.
Oh and always be truthful.

I actually play argue with my boyfriend about paying for things when I can. He never lets me pay unless he doesn't have any money. There isn't a lot to do in my town so he can't take me out all that much. There's the movies but that gets to be...routine in a way even though we don't go a whole lot. The skating rink here is only open when they decide not to be pricks about who the owner is, and the biggest shopping place here is Wal-Mart. Haha. So we hang out at each others houses enjoying each others company and having tickle wars. :3

As for you being 15, it makes no difference. I'm only two years older than you and I'm not seeking to date anyone. I was just curious how my view on dating differs from everyone else's. I'm really happy in my relationship. :)

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
This is a tough one no matter how you slice it. I believe in getting to know someone first, and then have it turn serious if both sides are feeling the same way. Time-frames will vary. Why get serious too fast and then somewhere down the line, you find you don't really like the person for what he/she is. Take your time to get to know someone. You''ll know soon enough if you wanna take things further. Y'know, that person is pretty much all you think about during your waking hours; you can't wait to see this person again; you also can't wait to talk to this person again, etc.

'Course, friends have accused me of taking things too slow at times when getting to know someone. So slow it appears, that by the time I have feelings for her, she just sees me as a friend. The true Kiss of Death, man. Crap, I hate it when that happens. :rolleyes:

Kissing and touching and all that stuff? It'll happen when it happens. And it should happen at your pace, which it sounds like you already have one, Znowcicle. Not to sound like a Hallmark greeting card, but just be true to yourself first, others second. You got some solid views from others above. Good luck to you. :)