• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Who do you side with in the civil war

• Total voters
Throughout the course of human history one of the primary reasons for war has been territoriality. The Stormcloaks are following in the footsteps of many of mankind's greatest leaders. When Germany decided that it deserved an empire and proceeded to carve out chunks of Europe, many nations rose up to defend their country from being consumed by an Empire. These countries valued their own peoples freedom to govern themselves and not be ruled by another nation. In TES, the Empire follows the idea of the Chinese Warlords during the Romance of Three Kingdoms: only by conquering all other nations and uniting the people under one banner will their be peace. In a lot of ways I agree with that idea, but I also believe that all people have a right to govern themselves. The Stormcloaks want the Nord people to govern themselves and do not wish to submit themselves to the rule of any other Government. More power to them.

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
Throughout the course of human history one of the primary reasons for war has been territoriality. The Stormcloaks are following in the footsteps of many of mankind's greatest leaders. When Germany decided that it deserved an empire and proceeded to carve out chunks of Europe, many nations rose up to defend their country from being consumed by an Empire. These countries valued their own peoples freedom to govern themselves and not be ruled by another nation. In TES, the Empire follows the idea of the Chinese Warlords during the Romance of Three Kingdoms: only by conquering all other nations and uniting the people under one banner will their be peace. In a lot of ways I agree with that idea, but I also believe that all people have a right to govern themselves. The Stormcloaks want the Nord people to govern themselves and do not wish to submit themselves to the rule of any other Government. More power to them.

It isn't as simple as that, you were spot on with comparing Skyrim to Germany in the 1930's-1945. A man gains power by preaching hatred toward others, and uses his speeches to rally citizens. But this man is also a corrupt power hungry fascist.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

It isn't as simple as that

I agree, war is always complicated. Their is no clear-cut good guy in this war. Ultimately the best thing to do might be to side with whoever has a better chance of defeating the Thalmor. I will fight for the side that will put the humans in the best position for fighting the Aldmeri Dominion when they ultimately attempt to conquer Tamriel. With the Empire in control the Thalmor are given free reign to wander the lands of the humans under the pretext of eliminating Talos worship. This freedom of movement gives them too much information about the human armies. However if the Stormcloaks continue with their fight it will inevitably weaken both the Empire and the Nords. The best course of action would be to call a Ceasefire and wage a secret war against the agents of the Thalmor that are inside Skyrim's borders. I would reinstate the Blades and give them the power to fight the Thalmor. Since the Blades are already known enemies to the Thalmor, they would be able to fight them without raising suspicions. Obviously only a select few members of both sides would be privvy to information about this secret war.

It isn't as simple as that, you were spot on with comparing Skyrim to Germany in the 1930's-1945. A man gains power by preaching hatred toward others, and uses his speeches to rally citizens. But this man is also a corrupt power hungry fascist.

Ulfric is influential in Skyrim because he inspires the people to free themselves from the Empire and to take control of their own fates. Its not about hate.

Static

I agree, war is always complicated. Their is no clear-cut good guy in this war. Ultimately the best thing to do might be to side with whoever has a better chance of defeating the Thalmor. I will fight for the side that will put the humans in the best position for fighting the Aldmeri Dominion when they ultimately attempt to conquer Tamriel. With the Empire in control the Thalmor are given free reign to wander the lands of the humans under the pretext of eliminating Talos worship. This freedom of movement gives them too much information about the human armies. However if the Stormcloaks continue with their fight it will inevitably weaken both the Empire and the Nords. The best course of action would be to call a Ceasefire and wage a secret war against the agents of the Thalmor that are inside Skyrim's borders. I would reinstate the Blades and give them the power to fight the Thalmor. Since the Blades are already known enemies to the Thalmor, they would be able to fight them without raising suspicions. Obviously only a select few members of both sides would be privvy to information about this secret war.

It's a shame that the politics of the game are so dichotomous really. You either help the Empire defeat the Stormcloaks, vice versa or stay neutral. This game needs a Yes Man.

siggy

I don't like Ulfric but I hate the Thalmor so Stormcloaks for me. That and the Empire general is boring as batplops. Even less charisma than Ulfric.

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
Someone prove to me Ulfric is evil. It is all assumptions.

Ask men and women in the Reach, especially the imprisoned forsworn in Cihdna Mine about him. He killed hundreds of innocent men, women and children. He's also a power hungry fool, as evident by his temper tantrum at the peace treaty you do if you haven't picked a side during the quest to get Odhaving.

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer

Jaeger

False. And Brunwulf Free-Winter is 100x the Jarl that Ulfric was.

Winterhold gets all the new recruits right. Ulfric knows who is joining the Stormcloak side. Why should Ulfric send troops to rural areas beset by beasts and bandits if they don't join the stormcloaks. Actually, he's a live and let live type of guy. He let's refugees squat on his land but if you help him, he'll help you (by sending troops to kill bandits and beasts).

siggy

And the initial scripted meeting with him and his officer in Solitude where he is against the concept of Honor...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honour

A dangerous, evil man that one.

What? I don't even remember that. I actually like the passion (some might say prejudice or zeal) of the Stormcloaks over the rigid and structured demeanor (zzzzzzz) of the Imperials.

[SPOILER ALERT!]
When I played for the Empire though, I DID LOVE that mission after we thwart Ulfric's attack on White run and are on a warpath of vengeance on Windhelm, all the way into those depressing high walls to take the battle to Ulfric's doorstep. Wow I haven't had a rush playing a game like that in ages.
[END SPOILER ALERT]

Having said that I can't bring myself to side with the Empire again. I'm on my third play through and again am annoyed that the Imperials want to cut off my head. All I kept thinking was "grrr I'll get you later, you'll see. you'll see!"

Jaeger

Ask men and women in the Reach, especially the imprisoned forsworn in Cihdna Mine about him. He killed hundreds of innocent men, women and children. He's also a power hungry fool, as evident by his temper tantrum at the peace treaty you do if you haven't picked a side during the quest to get Odhaving.

Why is Weylon, a forsworn agent, killing Margret, an imperial agent? Hmmm?

Jaeger

What? I don't even remember that. I actually like the passion (some might say prejudice or zeal) of the Stormcloaks over the rigid and structured demeanor (zzzzzzz) of the Imperials.

my initial meeting with Ulfric was great with his I fight speech. Tullius was a dick.

Around the 12 minute mark. earlier, there's a nice nighttime dragon battle in Solitude.

Read the caption, he's speeding the voices up. "Damn Nords and their sense of honor," I believe it was when discussing giving men when Balgruff hasn't asked for any.

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
When they announced no attribute in Skyrim, I was kinda expecting there to be no race differences. Well, it's been confirmed that each race has different starting skill levels along with racial perks. Oh boy, how wrong I was. Haha. It seems they omitted a few traditional racial abilities here and there but also added a few. For example, they removed 'Fear of Eye' for Khajiit but gave them claw attack. I don't know the exact details on starting skill level for each race but it's probably similar to that of Oblivion, taking account of some removed skills, of course.

ORCS: Beserker
REDGUARDS: Adrenaline Rush
WOOD ELF: Resist poison, resisit disease, command animals
NORD: Battlecry
KHAJIIT: Night-eye, claw attacks
IMPERIAL: Voice of the Emperor, find more coins when looting
HIGH ELF: Regenerate Magicka more quickly
DARK ELF: Ancestor’s Wrath (surround self in fire), resist fire
BRETON: Dragonskin (absorb spells), resist shock
ARGONIANS: Histskin (regenerate health quickly), resist disease, breathe underwater

So, who are you going to play as on your first playthrough? Personally, I like adding character background stories and personalities in my characters. It keeps me from playing as 'myself' on every playthrough and honestly, that gets a little boring after the 2nd character. :-/

I'm going to be playing as Argonian rogue mage, similar to the character I played as on Oblivion.

Because she was going to expose the Silver Bloods so they used the Forsworn to kill her.

Static

Why is Weylon, a forsworn agent, killing Margret, an imperial agent? Hmmm?

Because the Forsworn were under the thumb of the Silver-Bloods, who used them to remove threats without drawing attention to themselves by extorting their king, Madanach, whom they had locked in the mine. The fact the Silver-Bloods are strong Stormcloak supporters means that much of the blood spilt by the Forsworn belongs on Stormcloak hands.

Flint firestorm

The leading man, who else?
Ulfric says impereals treathen nord culture and tradition while he ignores tradition and takes the jagged crown, defiling a nord burial ground and declaring himself high king. Also he does nothing to close down the talmar embassy. He also ignores whiteruns neutrality say that there with him or against him

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts