Movies, Music, and Books the have made you cry

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
Just a bit curious about my fellow community members, plus I always like to hear people's answers to this question. Books can include stories. You don't have to explain yourself, and there aren't any particular guidlines to follow beyond the forum rules. But please, no crude humour or perversion. You can also name things that have come close, but not quite, to making you cry.

Games included!

Some of mine are:
For movies, many have came close, but only three have ever made me truly cry. Marley and Me yanked the pillow out from under me, and Courageous made me outright bawl when he dances with his daughter. Click made me cry three times during the death scene, even though I knew it was coming.

Music doesn't strike many cords crying wise. Call Me and Now We Are Free have come closer than anything else.

Books are about the same as music, but only one has made me cry. That would be Mockingjay of the Hunger Games series. Not the Prim thing at the end (I saw that one coming tbh) But the Finnick thing. Can't believe he died. He was my favorite character, and he left a family behind.

YOUR TURN! ;)

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
Doesn't make me cry but its a very emotional song for me because it reminds me of my dad so much.

also click lmfaaao I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE I shed a manly ass tear at that death scene and I couldn't even explain it. Thank god I was in a dark theater so I could hide it. The rest of the movie was pretty much garbage but damn Sandler threw a curve balls.

ZombieTrash143

Hellish rock-and-roll Freak
Movies that make me cry are:
Titanic (Of course)
Marley and Me
Boy in The Striped Pajamas
Watership Down
Thirteen

Songs that make me cry:
Christina Aguilera - Hurt
Johnny Cash - Hurt
Papa Roach - Lifeline
Disturbed - Inside the Fire
Evanessence - My Immortal

Books:
Living With Evil - Cynthia Owen
Suffer The Little Children - Mary Raftery

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
Movies:
The Last Samurai
Tears of the Sun
We Were Soldiers
Flowers of War
Braveheart
Wicker Park
Troy

Books:
Cathedral of the Sea by Ildefonso Falcones
The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova
Night by Elie Wiesel
Final Salute: A Story of Unfinished Lives by Jim Sheeler

Never really cried while listening to music. Although, I listen to a lot of Rammstein so crying just ain't happening. However, their song Ohne Dich was quite touching.

I have cried playing a video game once. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. The ending had me in tears. Crazy Huh.

sticky runes

BIG SPOILEROONIES ALERT

Film:

Machine Gun Preacher
A lot of scenes broke my heart when I was watching this film. That one that really got me was the look on Gerard Butler's face when the boy tells him about his mother.

Music:

Winter by Tori Amos
"When you gonna make up your mind?
When you gonna love you as much as I do"

I could play the song all day without crying, but hearing her sing it live in concert is just physically and emotionally gripping.

Book:

The Wheel of Time: Towers of Midnight
When Perrin meets Noam in the wolf dream, and finally understands why the man was consumed by his wolf aspect: To escape from the horrid life he lived as a human.

Docta Corvina

I might post here in chunks, since I can't really think of them all right now.

As for movies:

The Green Mile - the story, the music, the acting. One of the most depressing yet hopeful yet more depressing films I've ever seen. I can't watch through the end without needing a dozen tissues. Excellent and very moving music it has, also.

The Shawshank Redemption - It's also a hopeful movie for all of the depressing, but something about it always gets me. The music of it does as well.

Glory - One of the most depressing (though still perhaps uplifting) movies of all time, it's based on a historical event, the experiences of the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry during the American Civil War. It's notable because it's one of the very first all-black regiments in the US. Ultimately they would prove their bravery and through truly heart-wrenching sacrifice at the end of the film, their actions would motivate the government to formally authorize the raising of black troops and inspire many African-Americans to join such regiments. The soundtrack for this film is one of the most difficult to listen to, because of how utterly and horrifically sad it is. Nevertheless, I own the album. I just can't make it through even the music without bawling. This is definitely one everyone should see, regardless of what country you're from. Also, the film stars Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Cary Elwes, and Andre Braugher. Can't ever go wrong with a cast like that. And it's one thing that makes the movie so incredible.

Hotel Rwanda - Depressing enough as it is, but the scene with the priest and nuns with the orphan children running up to the hotel in the pouring rain only to be told that the buses there are to be taking the whites out of the warzone and not the Rwandans was...pretty gripping. "You can't leave the children behind!" "Sorry, Father. No Rwandans..." ...Rough scene. The music that plays then always gets me too.

Schindler's List - Obvious one is obvious. I think the scene that gets me most is one of the very last ones, when Schindler is about to leave the factory at war's end and he's crying and openly lamenting to Itzhak Stern that he could have done more, that he should have done more than he did. And then many of the remaining workers, the Jews who survived, run over to embrace him and reassure him. Powerful stuff.

FullmetalHeart20

The fourth Harry Potter book was the first time a character was killed off for me. That almost did it. Serius dying defiantly got me leaking.

Staff member
Should I add video games to the list? And soo many good responses! I might also be a repeat commenter here, because you guys reminded me of a lot of good ones that didn't immediately come to mind. Although, never had a game make me cry, not sure I've ever even came close in a game.

Karen

boop.
Books are about the same as music, but only one has made me cry. That would be Mockingjay of the Hunger Games series. Not the Prim thing at the end (I saw that one coming tbh) But the Finnick thing. Can't believe he died. He was my favorite character, and he left a family behind.

Oh man, I know right, his and Annie's story is so tragic. I mean, almost everyone's life in Panem was pretty sad, but those two just can't catch a break. I felt so bad for them.

But for me, it was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, specifically the chapter The Prince's Tale.
That moment when you realize all the sacrifices he made for someone that never loved him the way he loved her, hadn't even spoken to him in years, and how he continued to risk his life for her son even after she had died, even though she never knew and will never know of all the things he'd done for her. Snape is such a damaged and flawed human being, and I've hated him so much in the earlier books and films, but his love for Lily was just so pure. The phrase "life sucks and then you die" has never been more applicable, imo.

Same thing movie-wise, actually. Even the film adaptation of it made me cry. Also, when Fred died. The moment was so fleeting, but knowing he's gone makes the Weasley family so incomplete.
Also, Pokemon: The First Movie/Mewtwo Strikes Back.

Music comes and goes for me, when a song really speaks to me, I tend to loop it on repeat a lot, and then I just get desensitized to it. Most recently, Funeral by Band of Horses made me cry.

And there's a lot of songs from games and movies and such, that on their own probably aren't sad or anything, but they call sad moments to memory and make me cry that way, like One Summer's Day from Spirited Away, The Price of Freedom from Crisis Core, To Zanarkand from FFX.

And yes, I was going to suggest you add games, Crisis Core made me cry more than any movie or book ever did.

sticky runes

I've been depressed by video games and felt traumatized by certain events (I fought all these battles just to lose that person? Sh!t.) but I don't think I've actually cried. A lot of video games tend to be over-dramatic, I think. Listen to this sad, sad music! Look at how we've rendered their facial expressions!

But I did fill up when I played Suikoden 5, and watched the cut scene where the hero's mother dies, and her knights breaking down around her. Got me better than any of those Disney parent deaths.

Darkholme

Too many movies to count. Not the ones where they set you up to cry for 2hours making a character amazingly perfect and then BOOM they're dead. Since the number of movies I've cried during is probably in the 40-50 range I'll just say the last time I cried during a movie was a few days ago, re-watching "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". If somehow I'm able to hold it together through that movie the final scene always does me in.

Haven't really cried to music. Maybe when my ex's favorite song came on and we had recently broken up. But that's more about the breakup and not the song itself.

As far as books go, "Middlesex", Amy Hempel's short stories, "Les Miserables", and "Little Women". Dear lord "Little Women" is brutal. I swear I must cry every 20pages reading that book. It's so endearing and depressing and hopeful all at once.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
Oh man, I know right, his and Annie's story is so tragic. I mean, almost everyone's life in Panem was pretty sad, but those two just can't catch a break. I felt so bad for them.

But for me, it was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, specifically the chapter The Prince's Tale.
That moment when you realize all the sacrifices he made for someone that never loved him the way he loved her, hadn't even spoken to him in years, and how he continued to risk his life for her son even after she had died, even though she never knew and will never know of all the things he'd done for her. Snape is such a damaged and flawed human being, and I've hated him so much in the earlier books and films, but his love for Lily was just so pure. The phrase "life sucks and then you die" has never been more applicable, imo.

Same thing movie-wise, actually. Even the film adaptation of it made me cry. Also, when Fred died. The moment was so fleeting, but knowing he's gone makes the Weasley family so incomplete.
Also, Pokemon: The First Movie/Mewtwo Strikes Back.

Music comes and goes for me, when a song really speaks to me, I tend to loop it on repeat a lot, and then I just get desensitized to it. Most recently, Funeral by Band of Horses made me cry.

And there's a lot of songs from games and movies and such, that on their own probably aren't sad or anything, but they call sad moments to memory and make me cry that way, like One Summer's Day from Spirited Away, The Price of Freedom from Crisis Core, To Zanarkand from FFX.

And yes, I was going to suggest you add games, Crisis Core made me cry more than any movie or book ever did.

That Snape moment indeed, I was in total shock, I am still confused to be honest, then he's good and then bad, but that's good, and then he kills Dumbledore, and in the end, he is the total goodguy..

Staff member
I cried at the end of the "Death of the Incredible Hulk" with Bill Bixby, when the Hulk fell off the helicopter. :rolleyes:
I thought I was the only one who watched those old movies, though I was so little I can't remember but one or two scenes, and about a grand total of thirty seconds of them.

dragontology

Six Feet Under. That is all. Go watch it. Not the ending -- you can find it on YouTube -- but watch the whole thing. Five seasons, 12 episodes each. The last few episodes but especially the coda at the end.

I've seen a lot of sad stuff, but I'm a 33 year old guy. I've seen stuff that no human person should ever have to see. I've seen stuff I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Good (sad drama) and bad (just leave it at that). And I've seen a sampling of the worst humanity has to offer, and it hasn't made me cry. But the Six Feet Under coda came damn close. When I watched it the second time, with my wife (who did not watch it with me the first time) I actually had a travel pack of Kleenex in my pocket, and discreetly passed them to her right when the coda began. Slick. She almost asked what they were for and then Stuff Started Happening. I think she used half the pack?

Staff member
Can anyone tell me how to post YouTube videos through your phone on here?

MagicBlade

Instinctive
Machine Gun Preacher, and Pokémon : Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. Made me cry heaps.

War Horse too, How beautiful the music and acting went with the story.

Games that have made me cry: None

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts