Movies, Music, and Books the have made you cry

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Irish

Thane of Solitude
Marley and Me, especially after losing my childhood friend (our family dog, Lucky) of 16 years a couple of months ago. Don't think I've sobbed so hard from a movie in my life. :sadface:

I'll definitely add more to this list when time allows.

Godzillaman 08

Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater. The End will tug your heart strings :sadface:

There a lot of sad moments in FullMetal Alchemist as well.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
The Green Mile - the story, the music, the acting. One of the most depressing yet hopeful yet more depressing films I've ever seen. I can't watch through the end without needing a dozen tissues. Excellent and very moving music it has, also.

Good shout. Most of the more common ones have been mentioned but a movie that springs directly to mind is John Q with Denzel Washington. Not the best in terms of production value but it has a very sad and melancholy story to it. I would recommend it to anyone.

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
I don't usually get sentimental over movies, but Watership Down definitely made me sad when I saw it as a kid, though I can't remember if it made me cry. I re-watched it as an adult and it had much the same effect (maybe that's because we used to have rabbits as pets so I sympathize with the little critters).

Another movie that really got to me was The Road. That is probably the only movie ever to have jerked a tear out of me as a grown man.. it just tugged at my heartstrings very forcefully. The themes it dealt with were all too familiar to me: in many ways the bleakness and hopelessness of the post-apocalyptic setting mirrored struggles I've had in my life, and the man losing his wife reminded me of losing my girlfriend. Also the way the father in the movie tried everything to keep his son alive in a world that wanted to see humanity extinguished felt like a rusty knife twisting in my heart, because my dad was never a warm, close and caring man. There were times when I felt like I had no father at all when I was growing up. Even though I have long since come to terms with what kind of a person he is, his utter absence in my life nowadays is mind-boggling. It's funny, you'd think your dad would make some effort to keep in touch since he lives in the same city, but I can't even remember the last time I got a phone call, never mind seeing him personally. I know he feels extreme guilt over his failures as a father, and he is doing a wonderful job redeeming himself with his 5-year old son from another mother, but I wish he wouldn't have written the rest of his kids off as lost causes and swept us under the rug. So yeah.. that is one major reason why The Road got to me the way it did.

MagicBlade

Instinctive
I'll have to pull out my copy of The Road and watch after that review :)

Docta Corvina

Not a movie, but an HBO special. It's Spike Lee's program on Hurricane Katrina and its effects - especially on New Orleans, though he examines the fallout in other affected areas. It's pretty devastating to watch, harrowing. The testimony with the haunting music is just...it gets to me. I'd say I'm not alone in that.

Particularly between about 0:55:12-0:59:14 of Part III really guts me. The mother talking about the discovery of her young daughter's body months later, and the footage of her loudly crying as she walks away from the funeral. Rough stuff.

Part III and IV

Here's Part I and Part II in case you've never seen it and would like to. I think everyone should at some point. It's well done.

MagicBlade

Instinctive
Medea, my curiosity is now at a climax, I am now beginning to read it... Hopefully it doesn't have any animal references and such... with death...

MagicBlade

Instinctive
Hmm.... I'll see if there is a copy down at the store. The plot is very interesting

Wolfbane

Why change the past when you can own this day?
Shiloh, my dog skip, Babe. Well babe made me cry in a sweet way. Some parts of johnny got his gun, The music video of shake me down by cage the elephant, any dad and son moments. I have a terrible relationship with my father. Julian by placebo, Black balloon by the kills. Saints and soldiers, Saving private Ryan, forest Gump. Castaway only because I saw it at a young age. I have more I can't think of haha.

Wolfbane

Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater. The End will tug your heart strings :sadface:

There a lot of sad moments in FullMetal Alchemist as well.
Yes MGS3 with the boss! That was sad. and MGS4 around the ending. Geez made me tear up!

Medea

The Shadow Queen
Did anyone else cry when Wilson was lost in Cast Away with Tom hanks? :oops:

MagicBlade

Instinctive
I got teary in Mass Effect 2!

I only got to save Mordin and Legion since I got the bad ending but I was really upset my favourite boobicar Samara was killed and Grunt.

Wolfbane

I got teary in Mass Effect 2!

I only got to save Mordin and Legion since I got the bad ending but I was really upset my favourite boobicar Samara was killed and Grunt.

dude mass effect 3 had some teary parts as well.

MagicBlade

Instinctive
Nahh, I didn't get foggy with ME3.

I miss.. The Asari Boobicar Samara, I thought we had it going.

And then I banged Aria so it was cool.