Journal of a Redguard Warrior - Cyrus

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
20th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201

After resting for much of the day, I awoke in the early evening and decided that there was still time to walk up to High Hrothgar. I walked out of the inn, having donned the scaled horn armor I found last night, and almost immediately ran into a troll. It was easy to dodge the creature's clumsy swipes, so I was able to land a number of hits with my sword and kill it. Further up the path I ran into a snow bear, and that was not so easily fought. Not only was the animal tough, but unlike outside Shor's Stone, I had no way to escape it. As I tried to run away my vision faded, and I woke up later in the Vilemyr Inn once more. The innkeeper said a hunter brought me in while I was unconscious. My entire body was sore, and I knew I wouldn't be going anywhere for a while.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
27th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201

I set off again for High Hrothgar this morning. I was recuperated from the bear attack, but didn't want to use up my energy or get killed fighting the creatures along the 7,000 Steps, so the staff of paralysis proved useful once again. The last shout I learned I had to directly focus the energy of the dragon soul I absorbed into using the shout, whereas the first shout I used, the word Fus, came naturally; perhaps the first one is the soul's way of letting the Dragonborn know of their gift. At any rate, using the energy of a dragon soul took a lot out of me, and more of that could be expected at a monastery where those called by the Greybeards learn to shout. I came to the mighty fortress and entered in.

I was greeted by Arngeir, who speaks for the Greybeards. He welcomed me to High Hrothgar, and immediately asked to feel my Voice, or Thu'um. I obliged, and he remarked that I was indeed Dragonborn. Then I began learning. One of the other Greybeards created a magical imprint in the stone floor in the dragon language, and I absorbed the meaning of the word as usual; this one was like the shout of force I already knew, but it felt more balanced. Arngeir said the word was Ro, which means balance, and it would allow me to focus my force more sharply. There was another word to this shout, known as Unrelenting Force, I would learn later that would make it even more powerful. The Greybeard who taught me the word then imparted his knowledge of the word on me, similarly to how I learned to use Fus. The Greybeard then summoned a spectral figure for me to practice my shout on. The second word did indeed increase the shout's potency, and after I practiced my shout a couple more times, we headed outside, where another Greybeard, Master Borri, taught me a new word, Wuld, which allows me to rush forward incredibly quickly. Master Arngeir had me practice using it by rushing through a gate before it closed, then the monks took their leave. I spoke with Arngeir about how this gift might be used to save the world sometime in the near future, but he was unclear. It would be the fulfillment of my destiny, but he could not say what my destiny might be.

After this I decided to head to Falkreath to sell some of the stuff I've accumulated and leave some gold with Rayya. When I began walking away from High Hrothgar I saw a possible path down the mountainside to Riverwood. It may have been uncleared and it certainly was precarious, but it would be much quicker than spending an hour at least taking the Steps down, which were sure to be filled with dangerous creatures. I looked at the glow of the crystal on the end of my paralysis staff; it was waning, and if I used it to get past every bear I might find it would surely run out of charge.

I took two steps down the snowy precipice and, beginning to slide, threw my hands under me to keep from falling. Once in control of my movement I was able to pick up speed and descend through the freshly-fallen powder. Soon I came to a more level area near the base of the mountain, and I was able to climb down to the road upright. I began heading down the road towards Falkreath. It was nearing evening and darkness was falling, so I was unaware when I took a wrong turn onto a dirt path which eventually led me to a timy camp. The camp was home to two bandits when I came upon it, but they were easy to clear out, and the camp became mine for the night. It began to drizzle, so after taking the bandits' meager gold I sat down under the natural shelter that kept the camp dry, with a small dinner and a book I found by the fire. It is called Warrior, and was written by a man named Revan. I read a few pages in and gathered that the story is about a young man who had no family and vast wealth, and the man set to using mercenaries to drive property owners to selling their land to him. When I reached this point my eyelids were starting to droop, so I wrote until I came to this present moment, and now I am going to sleep.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
28th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201

When I awoke this morning, it was still raining. I set off walking down the path to the road which would lead me to Falkreath when three vampires came sprinting down the road towards me. The battle would be one versus three, and not just anyone, but three vampires. Damn Molag Bal for endowing the monsters with such great and terrible power! I made up my mind that I would not fight the villains, and jumped down a small drop to a spot not far outside Riverwood. I had a little extra gold to burn, so I took the carriage to Falkreath. I arrived mid-afternoon and immediately headed to the shops to unload some weight, first to Lod the blacksmith, and then to Gray Line Goods, where I made quite a find; a necklace enchanted to make the wearer immune to disease! It cost me over 1000 Septims, but I am sure it will prove its worth the next time I come up against vampires. I also bought some soul gems to recharge my bow and staff, and felt a little regret at paying for some man or woman's soul. I hope the souls I purchased belonged to some foul people. The gems and other trinkets I sold more than made up for the difference, and I now have just over 10,000 Septims! This is the most gold I or anyone in my family has ever had to my knowledge.

Back at my home, Lakeview Manor, I was shocked to find Rayya doing battle with a group of three bandits! I acted quickly and used what I knew of Unrelenting Force upon the brigands, then started in on one who held a Dwemer warhammer. She put up a fight until I drove her down the path along the house and she fell to her knees back against the rocks. I ended her life and headed back to join Rayya. I ran up just as she dropped to a knee, badly hurt by an archer's arrow. As another projectile came flying her way I threw my shield up to protect her, and found from the stout impact I was doing none too well myself. I tried to send an arrow back, but at some point my bow had broken, and the drawstring was limp. Another "Fus Ro" let me close the gap between the bandits, one of which had been hiding around the corner of the main hall, injured by my wife's blade. He was dispatched with a swift strike on the back of the neck, and the archer fell after, to a combined effort of Rayya and myself. I searched the bodies for gold and arrows , after which we headed in for the night. Once we were feeling better Rayya cooked a filling dinner, and we sat by the fire. I got to thinking about our gold; perhaps we should start laying some up, and perhaps investing someplace; I could amass a small fortune for us if I spent some coin in the right places.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
29th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201

Today I headed down to Falkreath in the morning to buy supplies. I picked up some steel, corundum, and iron ingots, some straw to supplement what I already have should I want to construct anything that might require that, and some goat horns to build wall sconces with. In town, a courier came to me with a couple letters: one was from a man who was opening a museum in Dawnstar; another was from the new woman in charge at the orphanage in Riften; and another was from an anonymous person, claiming to the courier they were a friend of mine. I decided I would read these when I was done working on my home. I was particularly curious about the letter from "a friend", and slightly apprehensive, considering the last anonymous letter I received got me kidnapped. This thought reminded me I had yet to return to Captain Maro in Dragon Bridge to claim my reward for destroying the Dark Brotherhood.

Back at the property I got to work on further furnishing the house, adding wall sconces in the entryway and cellar, a few drawers and display cases– the displays to be filled another time– a couple of mead barrels in the cellar, and finally, a safe in the rear room of the main hall, by the cellar door. After this, I sat at the table and opened my mail. The letter from Riften asked that I adopt an orphan; the letter from Dawnstar touted 'The Museum of the Mythic Dawn'; the final letter, from "a friend", said that I was seen using the Voice, and that not everyone is anxious for the Dragonborn's return. The mysterious author of the letter wrote that a mysterious source of power, unlockable only by me, was discovered in a place called Ironbind Barrow. A word wall! This could be a trap, but these Nordic barrows seem to frequently hold word walls; so trap or not, there must be a word wall within. I then prepared to leave, and grabbed a couple soul gems to recharge my staff.

After this, I set out with Rayya for Knifepoint Ridge, by way of the path that passes outside Shriekwind Bastion. We ran into a couple of skeletons, which I shouted to pieces, and then found an enchanted Elven bow and an Orcish bow in a chest. Down the mountain in Falkreath I sold the bows, as well as my Dwarven bow, to Lod. After we have the schematics for the improved crossbows, I won't need a bow. Out of Falkreath, we came across a necromancer's ritual site. The necromancer was easily killed, and from the impromptu alter I toon a couple of poisons and a book on conjuration I plan to sell. Not far from here was a ruined tower, inhabited by a few weak bandits. Rayya and I killed the brigands in a couple of moments, and now we are laying under the stars, eating a small dinner. We will go to bed soon, although it is only evening, and if we rise early, we can surprise the band of knaves at Knifepoint, which is not far from this tower coincidentally.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
30th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201

Rayya and I rose ahead of the sun early this morning, and ate our breakfast as we made our way towards the camp. When we reached the path leading up to the camp we dropped below the surface of the path where it turned and sloped further upward; the sun was beginning to fill the sky with a dim light now, and so we had to take care moving up the path. A bandit at the wooden watchtower heard us faintly, and in a panic let a boulder trap loose, calling out into the cool morning at us. The man must've been a fledgeling highwayman, because he didn't sound too sure we were even there; I brought us to a halt and let the rocks fly over our heads. The lack of motion allayed the suspicions of the guarding brigand, and so we were able to get relatively close and spring out, taking the bandits by surprise and killing them swiftly. We then moved through the rest of the camp and wiped out the outlaws, eventually coming to the entrance of the mine which held the crossbow schematic.

Inside was the bandit chief. Rayya and I sneaked down to a spot just outside the chamber he stood in, alerting him to our presence. I stopped him cold with my staff of paralysis, opening him to assault. We hit him relentlessly until he stood up and swung his massive Dwemer greatsword at me, doing a hefty amount of damage. I paralyzed him again, and finished him off. In a chest near where I found the bandit was the drawing, as well as a few random Dwemer trinkets, and a note saying that within the chest was the group's Dwarven haul. I had what I needed, and so I told Rayya she could return home. I have to get back to Fort Dawnguard, and then to Castle Volkihar, where Serana believes her mother is hiding. So I began walking off toward Falkreath; I could find my way to Whiterun from there.

Not far from Knifepoint I came across a group of bandits battling a group of mages. The mages had killed two of the bandits, but a single ranger was crippling the mages in return. I stayed back until the bandit finished the mages off, and once he was done, the Bosmer came after me. I hit him with my 'death mark' shout, then closed the gap between us, shield raised to deflect the elf's arrows. He pulled his iron dagger when I became close enough to strike him, and he fought admirably, but my shout, my blade, and a number of ice slikes he had borne the impact of while in battle with the mages brought his demise. I looted the bodies o their gold and a conjuration spell tome to sell.

I began walking through the wilderness. I couldn't help but notice how tranquil and beautiful everything was, as the sun reache higher overhead and cast a golden glow across the land. On the road back to Falkreath, this changed.

A fog rolled in, and the sky grew cloudy. I heard the echo of a rumbling, and moments later a dragon swooped overhead. It did not see me at first, and it went about its business, bathing the roadside in flame. I knew it would spot me eventually, so I decided to engage it on my terms. It landed, and I jumped out from behind a rock and started slashing at it in every direction, circling around to avoid its tail swipes, bites, and swatting wings. The monster took off, and I started down the road, in what I hoped was the direction to Falkreath. I would lead the dragon to town, then kill it with the help of the guards.

My plan worked. The whole of the guard came out and whittled away at the beast with their bows, forcing it to land just outside of the town. The dragon sent a blast of flame at me, and it collided with the ground ahead of me. I powered through and started in on the dragon with my scimitar, followed by a group of the guards and townsfolk. Out collective efforts ended when my blade slashed the dragon's throat. The monster's flesh burned off, leaving the mob in disbelief as I collected some scales and bones. There were a number of arrows littering the ground near the skeleton, having fallen when the dragon's flesh burned off, which I picked up and sold, along with the bones and some of the scales, at the tradery. I also bought a glass bow. The shopkeeper couldn't afford some of the scales, so I left for my home, where I put the dragon's scales on display. I left the glass bow in a chest; I wouldn't need it once I had an improved crossbow.

After this I began heading towards Whiterun. Directly outside of my property I ran into a necromancer performing a ritual at an altar, whom I easily killed. He had an identical copy if the book I found with the neceomancer near Knifepoint Ridge. I kept walking until I came to a small bandit camp outside Riverwood, inhabited by three highwaymen. I ran at two of the men and did battle with them, and once they were dead I chased the female who had hung back and slung arrows at me a little ways before I caught up with her and ended her life. She had on her a few Septims and a lockpick or two, as did her compatriots; one of the men also had a steel battleaxe, which I lugged down the road to the Riverwood Trader. But before I walked on, I spotted a book next to one of the bedrolls. It was an old favorite of mine, Night Falls On Sentinel. It had been too long since I read this classic.

I was able to sell an assortment of the odds and ends I found in the bandit camp and before. From here I walked to Whiterun. Along the road, I came across a farmer, taking a painted cow to a giant camp as a peace offering. He said the paint was to indicate the sacrifice as a friendly gesture, and as long as this tradition had been around, he had not lost one of his livestock to a giant. I wished him luck and continued in. Soon I reached the city gate, and upon consultation of a Khajiit merchant, I was able to pick up a nice health potion. Even though I wore my amulet of Zenithar, I feel like that cat overcharged me. But besides that, this night is going along well enough; I have good weather, a good book, and the crisp night air to accompany me to Riften.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
1st of Evening Star, 4E 201

I came to Riften mid-morning, and immediately headed for the Bee and Barb. I had a quick breakfast, and then walked to Fort Dawnguard. Soraine was glad to see me back with the crossbow schematics, and in a couple of hours she had crafted me an enhanced crossbow. It looked the same as the old one, but did more damage and was specially designed to ignore a target's armor, to an extent. I also bought an amulet of Dibella, to help me be more persuasive, and around thirty steel crossbow bolts.

Outside of Dayspring Canyon, I ran into an Argonian wielding dual maces– or rather, he ran into me. I had just enough time before he reached me to get my crossbow off my back and hit him with a bolt, then pull my sword and shield. I bashed, parried, and sliced skillfully, and I did more than my fair share of damage, but the lizard's brutish strikes were doing some damage. I backpedaled and rummaged through my things, slowing the Argonian down with a shout. Luckily for me, the health potion I picked up outside Whiterun yesterday was particularly potent, and I was back in good condition quickly. Our battle picked back up again, and a strong smash with my shield sent the aggressor spinning off balance. I jabbed my sword into his ribs and ended the skirmish. Not far down the road, I encountered two bandits at the old ruined tower. This was a good chance for me to test my new crossbow out. The brigands warned me away, and my response was a steel bolt to the face of one of the men. The other ran at me in rage, but he was stopped short by two bolts. I retrieved what bolts I could, searched the bandits' chest, and continued on my way. I'd ought to have a key made for that chest, given how many times I've taken the belongings of different bandit groups on the road to and from Fort Dawnguard.

Along the road I was attacked by a group of three powerful vampires. They came from nowhere and wielded their spells and weapons with cruel mastery. That was this afternoon The last I remember of the attack before I passed out was a guard patrol spotting my strife, running over, and driving off the fiends. I blacked out when they began to carry me back to the city, and only just now did I awake. As soon as I'm well enough, I'm going to find Serana'a mother.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
Anyone who has watched this thread may have noticed I haven't posted here in a while. I'm going on a hiatus from Cyrus, as I've played him ceaselessly (less so lately) and while I look forward to his development, I've burnt out a bit. After some time away I'm going to return to Cyrus, and I think that'll help make things fresh again. Cyrus is on the brink of major questline developments, and when I come back here I expect my entries will pick right back up.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
8th of Evening Star, 4E 201

I got to Solitude early this morning, and set out for Castle Volkihar as soon as I was off the carriage. I found the Solitude lighthouse by the coast, which had no protection and an empty rowboat docked nearby. I took this as an opportunity to get to the castle quicker, and was off and rowing in minutes. The sea was calm, and there was only light snow, so the cold was slightly less unpleasant. I tied off at the castle jetty and found Serana waiting. She was ready to go right away.

Around the side of the castle was a small dock with a half-sunken ship in the center. Two Dragur with bows were visible across the water upon a balcony, and a Dragur spellsword stood on an adjacent balcony. We turned the corner and were met by an undead berserker, who went straight for Serana. She filled him with ice spikes and started to drain his health with her blood magic, and I hacked away at the brute, avoiding a spray of hostile frost from the Dragur spellsword. We fought our way through the undead horde and entered the undercroft.

We found a couple death hounds in that stinking place, as well as a rogue vampire who left the brood living upstairs. From a fragment of her diary, Serana and I found that the vampire had been exiled, and she was turning the death hounds into her minions. Leaving her body to rot– that is, if vampires rot– we kept moving. A lever sat past an alchemist's nook, from which I took a couple potions. I used it and heard something shifting, but it was only after I jumped down from the low balcony that I saw the wooden bridge the lever had lowered.

Through a few more death hounds ad a frostbite spider we found another lever, which lowered another wooden bridge, leading out to the courtyard.

The courtyard held a large Dwemer moondial in the center, flanked by passages to the towers of the castle and the main hall. Serana mentioned that the moondial was missing some moon symbols, so we searched until we found them. Returned to the dial, the symbols caused the dial to rotate, revealing a hidden stairwell. Very clever. Which is why it's a shame that a bunch of walking skeletons and a goblin pummeled me half to death. I thank the gods that Serana was there to get me out of that castle. I was also lucky to have her there to help fight a dragon that attacked in the wilderness. I need to rest now. In a week, I should be fine.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts