Journal of a Redguard Warrior - Cyrus

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
27th of Frostfall, 4E 201

This morning I set out looking for work paying more than just a couple hundred Septims. I need to provide money for Rayya now that I've given her a home, and I'm low on coin besides. So I told my wife goodbye, and to expect me back in no more than a week, then I walked Sentinel out of the small stable I had built and we set off for Whiterun.

As I rode toward the city, I went over the places I could find work; Eltrys might still want me to look into the murders in Markarth; I could try to find the Aetherium Forge; Gunmar or Soraine might have something for me to do back at Fort Dawnguard, or I could find Florentius; or maybe I could head back to Solitude and collect the coin Ahtar owes me. I soon reached the stables.

I'll have to consider my options for the coming days on the road to Windhelm.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
27th of Frostfall, 4E 201

I reached Windhelm in the early afternoon, in time to find the snow in a swirling flurry and the Candlehearth Hall in a din of eating, drinking, and activity. I sat down at the bar and ordered a bottle of Alto wine, a loaf of bread, a chicken breast, and a sweet roll, and I proceeded to dine and unwind from the day's travels. My night drew to a close as the bard upstairs finished her song, and I headed to my room. Now here I sit, groggily awaiting tomorrow's adventures. Off to sleep with me.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
28th of Frostfall, 4E 201

This morning I heard some odd chanting coming from the Aretino residence. I had heard rumors of some dark ritual the boy inside was conducting, so I decided to investigate.

Inside the house I heard the chanting more clearly now. 'Sweet mother, sweet mother send yout child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear.' The Black Sacrament. I walked into a room off from the main room and saw the Aretino boy performing the ritual with a dagger and skeleton. I pulled him up from the bones as he kept chanting and chanting. His name was Aventus, and he had recently escaped Honorhall Orphanage in Riften. He offered me a contract to kill the headmistress Grelod, thinking I was an assassin, and when I tried to tell him I wasn't, he wouldn't believe me. So I left him alone. This Grelod must be an evil crone for a child to want her dead.

After leaving the Aretino boy, I set out on the road to find anything to sell. Past a few small farms I found a ruined inn or home inhabited by outlaws. I left Sentinel behind a boulder and approached. I shot a crossbow bolt through the doorway at a bandit, and it hit home in the man's thigh. Another killed him. A battlemage woman in fur armor cast an armor spell, and as she began to douse me in flames I interrupted her spell and slashed through her thin armor to her heart. A third bandit inside fell to me, leaving their chief outside. I scoured the hideout for fresh food and anything worth some coin, then headed outside to face the bandit leader. I shot him twice with my crossbow, then slashed at his steel armor, then dodged his own blow. But before I could finish him, out of nowhere came three vampires! I was outnumbered and missing health, so I hopped on Sentinel, leaving the bandit to his fate. The Khajiit caravan happily gave me around 300 Septims for what the bandits had stored at the hideout. After this I decided I should take the carriage to Riften.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
29th of Frostfall, 4E 201

This morning I decided I should investigate this Grelod woman. I entered the orphanage in time for her to deliver a lecture to the children about their worthlessness. I hated the woman already. So when she was in her quarters alone, my scimitar pierced her heart. I heard the children cheer as I strolled out past the calamitous shouts inside.

I then rode out to Fort Dawnguard to speak with Gunmar for work. He asked that I kill a vampire hiding in Broken Helm Hollow, on the verge of turning the bandits the creature had holed up with into undead. Celann was willing to go with me to extinguish the brigands.

Broken Helm Hollow was fairly close to the fort, being up a path leading from the end of the small bridge over the brook that runs near Dayspring Canyon. I spotted the wooden doorway in the hillside at the top of the path and dismounted Sentinel. Drawing my crossbow, I moved to engage the two bandits guarding their hideout, piercing the chest of one, an Orc, and bringing him to his knees. I sprinted up to him, pulled my scimitar, and stabbed through his neck, as Celann buried his war axe in the other bandit.

Inside, we crept near the central room, where I saw that two bandits were asleep by a fire. I told Celann to wait for my signal to stand up and do battle outright, then I inched out from behind one of the natural rock walls and let fly a crossbow bolt, which caused the sleeping bandit to jerk as he woke for a split second before he died. I shot the other bandit in the spine as he stood up to investigate, grabbing the attention of the bandits' leader and the master vampire who had been sitting in a part of the hideout perched slightly above the two sleeping brigands.

The two foes ran down to meet Celann and I, blades furiously swinging. The vampire showered me in his blood magic, weakening me and withering away at my health, while the bandit slashed at Celann relentlessly. I soon knew I would have to dash out the door or be killed. So I retreated. Once outside I waited about an hour to regain my strength, then I realized the vampire and his bandit friend had probably take Celann captive! I couldn't let them kill him or turn him into a vampire, so I went back inside.

I found that Celann had broken free from the brigands and was fighting back. He was admirable, but the onslaught of the enemy's numbers soon brought him to a knee. The vampire began to walk away, believing he had broken Celann, but I saw the warrior prepare to spring back up. As he began to move, I shot the bandit in the temple with my crossbow from across the cavern, then pulling my sword and rushing to Celann's aid. The vampire died quickly without his henchmen to help him.

We arrived back at Fort Dawnguard as the sun began to dip in the sky. Gunmar gave me a pair of enchanted iron gauntlets for killing the vampire, which I sold to him. I considered selling him a well-crafted glass bow I had taken from Broken Helm Hollow, but I decided instead to keep it and give it to Rayya as a gift. We all enjoyed a meal at the long table in the fort, and then I took Serana with me out to Riften. We would return to Forbears' Holdout and rescue the Moth Priest. It was a few hours past midnight when the carriage left for Solitude.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
31st of Frostfall, 4E 201

Serana and I reached Solitude a few hours before sunrise, so we headed down the road to Dragon Bridge to sleep for a few hours before heading to Forbears' Holdout. When we awoke, it had begun to rain outside.

We reached the cave shortly, and inside it was the same as the last time Serana and I had been there. There were two death hounds guarding the bridge, which I killed surprisingly quickly. I've grown considerably stronger since I was last here. The two thralls further inside fell just as easily.

Up the stairs past the dead thralls was the Moth Priest, surrounded by some sort of swirling magical barrier. The leader of the cave assaulted Serana and I, and we both lashed at him with our blades. The vampire and Serana then began hurling lighting and ice magic back and forth, which weakened the vampire to the point where I was able to pull him back towards me and skewer him from behind. In his pocket was a black stone with white runes on it, and it lowered the magical barrier when I placed it on a pedestal above the Moth Priest. He drew his sword, which looked like the ones used by the Blades during the Great War and shortly after, when the Empire still had somewhat of a presence in Hammerfell. The priest had been brainwashed by the vampires, so we were forced to fight the man. He knew how to use his blade fairly well and was casting powerful bolts of flame, but the combined efforts of Serana and I brought the man to a submissive position, snapping him back to reality.

His name was Dexion Evicus. He said he was of the White-Gold Tower in Cyrodiil. When I asked him what exactly he did in the Imperial City, he told me that he and the other Moth Priest trained to read Elder Scrolls. When he learned that we had an Elder Scroll, he was thrilled to assist us, and set off promptly for Fort Dawnguard.

Back in Solitude, I sold off the few pieces of armor and gemstones I had picked up over the past day or two, then visited the Temple of the Divines to ensure I was free from Sanguinare Vampiris. After these affairs were taken care of, I headed to Castle Dour Dungeon to speak with Ahtar. He was very pleased to learn that I had killed the escaped bandit, and I was very pleased to accept the 700 Septims he gave me for my help. He also promised me that I could count on him to help me with anything that should come up when I'm in Solitude. After this, Serana and I boarded the carriage to Riften and set off to inform Isran of our success.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
1st of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201

This prophecy could have some bad results if it comes to fruition. After Serana and I returned to Fort Dawnguard, we met Dexion and he read the Elder Scroll. The prophecy states that a leader will rise among the vampires to end "The Tyranny of the Sun." We had known this already, but there is something we did not know; this leader will use a weapon known as Auriel's Bow to make night and day as one. Dexion said the vision given to him by the Scroll mentioned two more Elder Scrolls related to the prophecy, one speaking of the Sun, the other of the Dragons' return. Serana mentioned her mother might have a Scroll with her, but she had disappeared, so we would have to search for her. I decided that with this escalation in the prophecy's importance, I should at least let Rayya know what was going on before setting off after any Elder Scrolls that could have such grave effects.

On the ride back to Riften I munched on a leg of goat roast and a few carrots I had wrapped and carried with me earlier today. As I enjoyed the orange-yellow sunset from atop Sentinel's back I was roused to the sound of clanking armor and footsteps from the woods. I dismounted Sentinel, and looked around to see two thugs in steel armor approaching me. I quickly drew my sword and slashed one of the bandits across the face, followed by a powerful bash that sent the man to a knee. I took this time to maneuver behind him, pull him up by the throat, and stab my blade into his torso. I threw his body to the side as I turned to the other brigand, who had raised his mace high over his head. I pulled my shield up to meet his blow, then let loose a flurry of sweeping strikes onto him. I searched the body and found that the set of armor the man wore was quite nice, and would fetch a good price from the blacksmith in Riften. It turned out to be worth about 350 Septims, which brought me to just under 3000 Septims total. Tomorrow I'll take a carriage to Windhelm first thing in the morning and let Aventus Aretino know his deed was done, then if nothing comes up, I should be back to Falkreath.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
3rd of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201

I arrived back home early this morning to find Rayya sitting inside of our small cabin. She was pleased to see me, and she was also pleased with the bow I gave her. As she gave me my half from the goods she had sold, I noticed how small the one room we live in seemed, and so I decided to spend some of the coin I had worked for on expanding our home. I rode to Falkreath to buy some iron to build a door to the extension, then to the mill down the road to have some sawn logs delivered. In Falkreath, a courier came to me with a mysterious note. He said he didn't know who it was from, but he said someone had paid him a hefty amount of coin to get it to me. As the messenger walked away, I opened the parcel. The note had a black handprint in the center, under which had been scrawled the words 'We know.' This put me at some unease, so I returned to work to take my mind off it. Back at home, I was able to build most of the first and second floor additions before the sun began to dip, so, satisfied with a day's work, I went inside for a homecooked meal and a good night's rest.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
5th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201

When I came to, I was in a drafty shack, my vision blurry and my head throbbing. As I gained my senses, I saw that the walls were spattered with blood. In the corner of the room sat a woman in black. She was Astrid the leader of the Dark Brotherhood. I knew, because she tried to have me killed a few months ago.

When I asked where I was, she said it was more important that I was still alive. She told me I had stolen a Dark Brotherhood contract, and I would have to repay it. She had obviously heard about Grelod's death somehow. I would have to kill another person if I wanted to leave the cabin alive. This woman had taken me from my home. My mind flashed to my childhood. My uncle was taken from his home by the Thalmor and tortured to death. This memory blurred into my current predicament. Rage welled up in me as I walked to the three captives who kneeled on the floor. None of them deserved to die. Well, maybe the Khajiit did, he even indicated he had been kidnapped before and he was of some ill repute; but I'm no real murderer, even though I had killed Grelod. I pulled my crossbow from my back and readied it as if I was going to kill one of the hostages. I took a breath, swung around, and fired into Astrid's gut. This shocked her, causing her to lurch off of her seat atop a shelf. I was there to meet her unsteady landing with a quick bash from my shield. With every swing of her dagger at me, I cut her with two ferocious swipes of my sword. When she fell to her knees, I took one mighty slice at her neck and killed her. After untying the mostly ungrateful prisoners, I set off to alert a guard.

Outside it was raining heavily and the sky was black. I realized that I had been unconscious for almost a full day, and hurried toward the nearest settlement. The Solitude Sawmill had a small posting of a few guards nearby, and they pointed me towards a Captain Maro in Dragon Bridge. When I met him, he told me that he had tracked the Dark Brotherhood's movements and now was the time to strike them. If I wiped the assassins out, he said, I would be handsomely rewarded. He said the sanctuary would be near Falkreath, and after he gave me the passphrase, I left to take a carriage back to Falkreath.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
6th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201

Today, after selling off Astrid's armor, I was able to spend the day finishing my addition to the house. By sundown I had gotten a fair amount of the furnishing done, and tomorrow Rayya and I are going to destroy the Dark Brotherhood.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
‎7th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201

This morning Rayya and I set off for the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary. Maro marked the Sanctuary's general location on my map, but it took me a little while to get my bearings on where exactly the hideout was. It was well hidden, but eventually we came across the black door to the sanctuary. It asked me in a hissing voice "What is the music of life?" To which I responded, "Silence, my brother." I gained entry, but some strange magic bound to the door prevented Rayya from coming inside. I would have to do this alone.

In a room to the side of the entrance was a assassin with a Dwemer battleaxe. He swept through the air with his axe, and I dodged, knocking him back with my shield. I ran him through while he was open to attack and moved on. In the main chamber was an Argonian, who pulled his dual daggers and sprinted at me when I walked into the room. He whirled and twirled his blades toward me, but was no match for a stern crack from my shield and my scimitar's killing blow. Through the halls of the sanctuary I caught an elderly mage by surprise, dealing enough damage to substantially weaken him before he could even cast a single spell, then interrupting his every attempt to cast his magic with my shield. He soon fell to me and I was surprised how unprepared these trained killers were for a direct assault.

Further in the assassins' hideout I found another mage, this one a female Imperial. She was about as easy to kill as the old man, despite the fact that she did have the help of a frostbite spider. In what looked to be the dining hall of the sanctuary I found the final assassin, the one who truly impressed me.

He was a stout Redguard, much like myself, but he had a long beard, and wore the traditional garb of my homeland, and the man wielded a scimitar, like myself. It was a shame to see a proud warrior and an observer of tradition in an order of murderers. The warrior swung his blade almost artfully, and we returned blows and slashes as warriors of the same sands. The man fought skillfully, but his lack of a shield or any armor meant he eventually succumbed to his wounds. I took his clothing and scimitar as a reminder of Hammerfell.

Back in the main chamber I noticed a magical energy humming about the cavernous room, and looked to find a wall inscribed with foreign words like the similar one I had found in Dimhollow Crypt. I approached the swirling blue light and found that this wall had the same effect as the wall in Dimhollow, except this one imparted a different word, and while I still cannot speak this language, I know the word I have learned would whittle away at my enemies' very being if I could speak it. I pondered this as I scoured the sanctuary for anything that would bring a nice profit.

As I rode into Falkreath to sell the gear, I realized that if these words have anything to do with the legends and tales of dragons, I should return to the 7,000 Steps and make the trek again. This time I could make it. While I planned out my trip in my mind, I didn't notice a large drop as I travelled over the hilly terrain back to the town. Sentinel sailed down and landed awkwardly on a rock. I tumbled away from her. Bone cracked as she wailed in pain.

My father once had a horse that was crippled by a fall like this. I remembered he had had to take the steed out of its misery. This was the same case. I spoke a thanks to Sentinel as I pulled my crossbow and returned to her to nature. I felt more dejected about losing her than when I had lost certain other people, but that is because we Redguards, and any race who value prowess in battle and good companionship form bonds in laboring together. But the way of all things is to return them to the ground, so Sentinel was buried in an unmarked grave. The few weapons, robes, and light sets of armor I had taken from the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary fetched a nice price, and so I prepared to move on.

I began walking toward Helgen. Not very far along, I heard what sounded like a profane necromantic ritual of some sort. A man's voice rustled through the trees, as he audibly willed some creature to life. I sprinted further along the road until I saw the false threat: a man in common clothes, wielding some kind of staff. At his feet was a wolf. I asked what he was trying to do, and he said that the staff he held had been his grandfather's. His grandfather was a wizard, and when the man found his staff in an attic and used it, he thought he might be a mage too, but the College of Winterhold turned him away. The magic was in the staff and not him, they had said. I worried slightly about the unskilled fellow with a magical staff, but he seemed so inept with it that he would be unable to use it for any means. I left him alone and continued down the road as evening fell.

When I reached Helgen, the sun was low and I was beginning to tire. Having Sentinel to carry me for the time she was alive had allowed me to weaken slightly. In the back of my mind I decided not to worry about buying another horse anytime too soon. My thoughts were interrupted when I spotted two angry bandits looming closer and closer. One wielded an iron mace, the other carrying an iron battleaxe. The two men were lightly armored and I was able to put both down in a single, powerful swipe. A woman ran after them with a greatsword, and she was easily killed as well. After collecting what coins were to be found on the brigands, I made my way up one of the watchtowers that held a few lit torches. Inside there was rubble and blood covering the floor. I crept up the spiraling steps and found a lone archer at the top. He heard me walking up and sent an arrow at me, which glanced off my shield harmlessly. Then I pounced, throwing the full weight of my shield at the elf's neck, hitting him with the edge and resulting in a resounding crack. Next to his body was a chest with around 50 Septims and a potion that would help me haggle for better prices with any merchant if I drank it. Night was beginning to fall, so I decided I would walk to Riverwood and spend the night in the Sleeping Giant Inn. The sky was a beautiful ebony, with ribbons of yellow, orange, and green, like magical fire trickling out of Aetherius.

69155_438409269530258_362273340_n.jpg

When I reached the inn, I decided to have a late dinner outside and enjoy the sky. While digging through my pack I found the book Adontato had asked me to take to the Bards' College some time back. I realized that having had it all this time, I never read it! I took this as an opportunity to do so. The book was about a Nordic tale about a former High King of Skyrim, Olaf One-Eye, and his exploits regarding a dragon called Numinex. It was a good enough tale, almost certainly embellished to some point, but the historian's perspective was a bit drab for my liking. Maybe I'll be fortunate enough to come across one of the books of my home at some time.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
8th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201

This morning I left for Ivarstead. After walking up to Helgen, where I dispatched a bandit straggler whom I missed last night, I kept moving along the road, where I came across a few bandits, some wolves, and a particularly hostile Orc who had a pair of Dwemer gauntlets with him. I was surprised how easily all these foes died. My skill has been increasing.

Just outside of Ivarstead I saw a majestic elk, with a large rack of horns atop his head. I wanted to kill the creature and harvest his pelt, horns, and meat, but as I trained my crossbow on him a bear jumped from the brush and took the elk down in one swipe. He stood up and roared, though whether or not he saw me I do not know. The beast tore at the elk's skin and flesh and ate a bit , but when he ambled away I found that much of the meat was still good, and the antlers were untouched. In the inn I ate a light lunch and left the dead Orc's gauntlets with the innkeeper, as well as the battleaxe that had belonged to one of the assassins I had killed. It would be easier to trek up the long path without them, and I might end up needing some extra mobility if I run into trouble.

With the assurance of the innkeeper that my extra gear would be safe, I set off for High Hrothgar. The day proved to be a good one for my journey; the sun was high overhead and a gentle breeze whirled about. This tranquillity was broken as fast as it set in by the roar of a bear. The beast swiftly killed a goat in its path, then turned to me. I drew my sword as quickly as possible and threw up my shield to meet the bear's initial strike. It pounced, and I threw the animal off me, smashing into its head with my sword's hilt and then running the blade up through the bear's throat. I realized, slightly in awe, that a few months ago that bear would've had me for dinner.

Further up the path I encountered an ice wraith, who proved surprisingly easy to kill. Even the two wraiths that followed this one had little effect on me. I thought that perhaps these words I had absorbed strengthened me in some way, and I continued trekking up the steps with the hope that these monks would be able to tell me what has happened to me.

It was not long before I reached the den of the frost troll that had sent me running the last time I had ventured up this path. This time, however, I was prepared. The troll stood on a rocky outcrop facing away from me, so I took the element of surprise and nailed the beast between the shoulders with a crossbow bolt. This got the troll's attention, but another bolt in the creature's thigh sent him down after me. He lumbered toward me, but I stood my ground. As he neared me, I braced with my shield, and when he let one of his long arms fly at me I knocked him back. While the troll was still stunned, I drew back with my scimitar, then jabbed it into the beast's head behind his chin, forcing it out his skull and slinging the troll's heavy body down. I ripped the two crossbow bolts I used out of his flesh, wiped them clean, and kept walking.

The tablets past the troll's den told more of the story of the Greybeards. Their leader, someone called Jurgen Windcaller was opposed by a group of his followers, but they could not shout him to death, so he decided to take a vow of silence and build High Hrothgar. The final tablet had an inscription on it that spoke of "The Voice" and its purpose. I don't know why, but this left me feeling quite peaceful inside. Past this was High Hrothgar.

It was an imposing monastery, built from large slate-gray stone and jutting out of the snowy landscape. I walked to one of the two doors and rapped heavily on the door, but received no answer, no greeting, no inquiry as to why I was there. Evening would fall soon, so I decided to walk back to Ivarstead. The wind was blowing bitter cold and I didn't want to spend much more time in that.

Back at the inn I began to think about where I might learn more about these words I learned, it came to me that they are believed to be related to the dragons, and if the people believe that Helgen was attacked by a dragon, the Jarl of Whiterun must have looked into the matter. So I decided to seek an audience with him tomorrow. Perhaps he'll be able to point me toward some answers to my questions.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
9th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201

I left Ivarstead early this morning in the hope of reaching Whiterun midday. The sun had just begun to rise as I walked along the river. At the point where the river drops off I crossed on some rocks, then made my way down a winding path to a large crevasse, a large fallen tree spanning its length. In the center stood a lone bandit. He let loose an arrow as I neared him, which bounced off my shield. At this cue I sprinted forward and knocked him to his death on the rocks below. The rest of the journey was fairly uneventful, though I did notice an odd occurrence; not a single animal would attack me. Whole packs of wolves treated me like I was no issue of theirs, even when I hit one of them.

As planned, I reached Whiterun and headed up to Dragonsreach. The Jarl's housecarl was initially defensive and suspicious when I approached, but when she learned that I might be an important piece of the dragon threat, she was willing to escort me to Jarl Balgruuf. When he asked if I was at Helgen when the dragon attacked I said yes, though careful to leave out that I got there in binds and I didn't actually witness the dragon. The Jarl was also interested to know that I suspected I might be able to use the Voice, and with this knowledge he introduced me to the court wizard, Farengar. Farengar was an interesting fellow, with a scholarly demeanor that showed he cared more for his studies than politics. He told me that to learn more about these words I had magically learned, in the dragon language I found out, I would have travel to a Nordic ruin called Bleak Falls Barrow. The name sounded familiar, then I recalled that Hadvar pointed it out to me when he took me to Riverwood and showed me the way to Whiterun. Farengar told me to look for an artifact called a Dragonstone while in the barrow, then sent me off. After speaking to the wizard, Jarl Balgruuf told me I had done Whiterun a great service and that he wanted to reward me, so he had one of the servants bring a set of steel plate armor from his personal armory and present it to me.

With the Jarl's gift, I set off. Before I left the city, however, I had to sell off the bits of gear I had on my person at Warmaiden's, then I headed to Arcadia's Cauldron, where I was able to mix together a few potions. I had been carrying a necklace I found enchanted to help me create stronger potions in my pocket for a while now, so this came in handy for making use of the ingredients I had accumulated. I made some health and stamina potions for myself, as well as potions of frost resistance, and some potions of magicka and poison resistance which I sold. All this brought my total count of Septims to just over 5000! I made a note to visit Falkreath soon, and leave a couple thousand gold at home with Rayya. Then I began walking across the tundra to Bleak Falls Barrow.

When I was up the steep and winding path to the ruin it was past midday and the sky was beginning to turn the yellowish hue that the sunset brings, so I made note to find if there was a bedroll somewhere inside. The barrow's exterior itself was impressive; all around the huge set of steps were the big decorative stone pillars I have seen throughout Skyrim, as well as what looked to be guard's perches along the edges of the mountain. A man ran down the steps with his bow drawn and I knew I was not alone. I killed the bandit swiftly, and then the two that rushed down after him fell with little resistance.

Inside, the floor of the entryway to the ruin was blanketed with powdery snow, and light poured in through holes in the crumbling walls. At the end of the room stood two bandits around a fire. I thought a surprise attack, opened by a crossbow bolt from the shadow, would be a good way to clear the entrance, but I reached for a bolt and remembered I had run out. I plan to find some opportunity to perhaps learn the basic craft of smithing and fletching some time soon. Perhaps Adrianne at Warmaiden's can help me learn. Anyway, it was good that I didn't kill the bandits then and there because I wouldn't have overheard their conversation about the golden claw they had stolen. One of their group had taken the claw deeper into the ruin, so I suspected that it was in some way important to reaching the chamber where the Dragonstone was interred.

After I had gained this knowledge, the bandits outlived their usefulness, and I sprung out and killed both of the brigands. There were two bedrolls by the fire the bandits had made, and a chest near these held some coin and a stamina potion. Slightly deeper into the frigid barrow I spotted a bandit, surveying something in the next room by torchlight. I considered dispatching him immediately, but then I saw him move forward and pull a lever, which did my work for me, utilizing a hail of poisonous darts. I walked to where his body lay and found that the lever he pulled was part of a puzzle. Three pillars were to my left, each bearing a depiction of an animal. On the upper wall of the room was a picture of a snake and a whale, and next to the lever was a picture of another snake. I walked to the pillars and turned the first to to the snake side, and the third to the whale side. Sure enough, the metal grate opened. Barely past this obstacle I heard a voice cry for help.

The large chamber the voice came from was blocked by a stiff barrier of spider's web, so I cut past it and saw the face of the voice, a man trapped in the same thick web. A shadow loomed on the center of the floor, and it became clear the shadow was that of a giant frostbite spider. I pounced on the spider, catching its large legs with my shield and stabbing the ooze-filled body, killing it. I told the man to hand over the claw, but as was apparent, he was in no position to do that, so I cut him down. But before I could speak with him any further, the thief ran off. My blade in his back stopped him in his tracks. I found the claw in his possession, as well as a journal that suggested the claw, and some symbols tied to it were the key to an ancient Nordic power. I descended further within the ruin to the catacombs.

I encountered many Dragur among the catacombs, as well as trap of swinging blades, but they all proved to have more numbers than strength, although the trap left a nasty gash on my shoulder, but nothing a healing potion couldn't fix. This ruin was extensive, but I finally reached the Hall of Stories. At the end of the hall was a circular door, with a claw-shaped indent and three sliding disks, each with a symbol of an animal. I looked at the claw, then at the door– and realized that on the palm of the claw were three animal symbols, a bear, a moth, and an owl, in descending order. I turned the three disks until they looked like the claw, then I firmly turned the claw. This set into motion a complex mechanism that lowered the door. The inner chamber of the temple lay beyond.

The chamber was grand and spacious, with a couple streams flowing about, both in from and out to the surface. A coffin sat in the center; behind it was a chest, and one of the stone walls inscribed with the dragon language. I approached and, knowing by now what to do, let the strange force embrace me. This word felt different; the previous words felt subtle and subversive, but I knew this one wielded more direct power. If only I knew how. I turned to the chest and scoured it for the Dragonstone, but it was not there, and I found only a couple hundred Septims, an enchanted Dwarven bow, and a strange white orb with numerous flattened sides. As soon as this orb touched my hand, a resounding voice filled my head, telling me to go to the shrine of Meridia near Solitude, to cleanse her temple of some evil darknes. I was stunned, but I had a job to do, so I closed the chest and stowed the things I had taken from inside. This left only the coffin.

When I walked toward the coffin, the form resting inside was jerked from his slumber and violently threw off the sarcophagus lid. He stood and drew his ancient battleaxe, and I responded in kind. Our fight was hard and we were fairly equally matched– in fact, if my foe were not a corpse now, I believe he would have bested me– but my vital body eventually won out over his rotting one. This Dragur indeed held the Dragonstone. I took the relic back to the entryway of the barrow, where close inspection showed the stone tablet bore a map of Skyrim, marked, for one reason or another, in certain places across the land. Farengar should know. But it is late, and I can only see moonlight through the openings in the crumbling stone, so I'll sleep before I return to Whiterun. I also have to find the owner of this claw.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Wait... Isn't Cyrus the player character in TES Redguard?

Streets

The Gentleman Owl
I really liked the beginning, but unfortunately I had to stop reading when you started with Dawnguard. I haven't played yet and I don't need any spoilers :sadface:. I really love the pictures you put in though. They are just simple scenery shots, but really help connect with the story and the character. Great job.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
I really liked the beginning, but unfortunately I had to stop reading when you started with Dawnguard. I haven't played yet and I don't need any spoilers :sadface:. I really love the pictures you put in though. They are just simple scenery shots, but really help connect with the story and the character. Great job.

Glad you liked it! I'm happy to know the pictures had their desired effect. Check back when you've played Dawnguard maybe :p

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
10th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201

Upon my return to Dragonsreach, Farengar was in his study with a mysterious hooded woman. They were talking about some ancient tome, and I noticed more that the woman's voice sounded familiar than I did what the two said. At a break in the conversation, I interrupted. Farengar was pleased to take delivery of the Dragonstone, but before thanks could be fully exchanged, the Jarl's housecarl, Irileth, came running into the fray, with shocking news. A dragon had been sighted nearby! Our group went to speak with the Jarl and prepare to move out. Irileth mustered a group of guardsmen to head to the watchtower where the dragon was sighted, and as I readied to leave Dragonsreach, Jarl Balgruuf quickly thanked me and gave me a pair of Dwemer boots, with a strong enchantment to help me resist flame. I took the boots, which looked to be similarly constructed to my heavy Dawnguard boots, and ran to the Bannered Mare, where I rented a room to store my things that were not essential. I had no experience with dragonslaying, so I only wanted the essentials; the bow I found at Bleak Falls Barrow, some arrows, my sword, shield and armor, and some potions, should I need them. As I rushed down the stairs, I spotted Uthgerd in the corner of the room. She would relish this opportunity to test her mettle. I asked her to come along with me, and she gladly obliged.

We caught up with Irileth and the guards on the road, and once we were together, we ran madly for the watchtower. The tower came into view, and it was a frantic sight, with crumbling stone and flaming rubble scattered about. A guard was yelling for us to stay away, and then I saw it.

The dragon was big and fearsome-looking, with dark scales and a spiny back. It circled around the tower, then swooped down to hover over the guards and douse them in frost. I ran up the steps inside of the tower to a section of the wall that had broken and loosed a few arrows before the monster returned to a circling tactic. I ran back down to the open ground, where Uthgerd, Irileth, and the rest pelted the dragon with projectiles. The dragon repeated this a few times, hover, circle, hover, until it began to tire and succumb to the many arrows that struck it. It landed near a pile of heavy stone rubble and let out a blast of frost like a blizzard from its mouth, which stung like the bite of an ice wraith where it impacted with me. The beast then set to blowing a stream of frost onto our war party, which I was able to avoid as I sprinted around to the rubble. The dragon noticed me flanking it and tried to catch me in his jaws, but I dodged and dove behind the pile of rubble before the monster could send out another icy blast. When the dragon relented, I sprung up and slashed wildly at the its throat. A final, powerful swing of my blade killed the beast. It slumped to the ground and then something unexplainable happened.

The dragon's flesh began to burn off its skeleton, and a warm wind of light and color flooded my body and mind. While I stood there, stunned, the guards marveled and told me I was something called Dragonborn. One guard said to try and shout, to see if it was true, and my mind came to the words– I didn't know them, but I knew their meaning, so I summoned up the force of the word I had just learned, and it escaped my lips in the word Fus. A small push brought a cloud of dust up from the ground. This was what I was looking for. But it meant more. It means more.

Cyrus is a common name in Hammerfell. Everyone wants to honor the hero of our land, but I wasn't named simply for that reason. Among the priesthood of the Yoku gods there is a legend that the original Cyrus was not just a great man, but a god in man form. The hero of Kvatch 200 years ago, all the various legendary figures of Tamriel about whom much is told and little is known... the priesthood believe all these champions of the world are avatars of Cyrus, and thus the gods. My family was seen in a prophecy having a child who would be an avatar of Cyrus, who would have an incredible gift and who would save the world. The priests watched over my family for years, and when I was born, the priests considered me the one.

I kept this to myself, wanting to be certain, and I sawed some bone and scales off the dead dragon. I thought they would bring some good coin at the market. When Uthgerd and I were walking back to Whiterun, we had our confirmation. The earth began to rumble, and a thunderous voice said "Dovahkiin." I knew this would have to do with my ability, but I didn't know how until after I sold off the dragon bones and scales and went to see the Jarl. He said the rumbling of the earth was the Greybeards' summons for me, the Dragonborn. He appointed me Thane for my service and gifted me with a battleaxe, then told me to head to High Hrothgar, where the Greybeards would teach me to use my gift. I gave Uthgerd the axe, since it was too heavy for my liking, and a symbol of honor in the Nords' land would meean more to a Nord like her than a Redguard like me.

After parting with Uthgerd and picking up my things from the Bannered Mare and selling off some extra weight, which included my crossbow and heavy Dawnguard boots, I was left with my armor, my sword and shield, a satchel full of various potions and poisons, a few torches, some various trinkets and objects of some value more than just monetary, a couple letters I amassed while in Skyrim, a small amount of alchemical herbs, and food to last two or three days of travel. Satisfied with my now lightened load, I deigned to set off for High Hrothgar once more. I recollected that the journal of the thief in Bleak Falls Barrow who had been carrying the golden claw mentioned swiping it from a fellow called Lucan in Riverwood, so I made note that I had ought to stop there at some point and return the claw.

When I began walking across the tundra evening was just beginning to fade into night, so I decided to try and catch Lucan at the Riverwood Trader while there was still a chance the store would be open. It was beginning to rain, so I started moving quicker toward the little mountain pass leading to Riverwood. I encountered little resistance, only a few wolves, and I was in luck when I reached the store, for Lucan was just preparing to close up for the night. I walked in and asked if he owned the stolen claw as he cleaned the counter and shelves in his shop with a dingy rag, and it was indeed his claw. He thanked me immensely, and even gave me a couple hundred Septims on his and his sister's behalf. By the time I walked back out, the sky was a deep purple speckled with points of light, so I headed here to the Sleeping Giant Inn, where I will rest in anticipation of what tomorrow may hold.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
11th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201

I started this morning off with a light breakfast of fruit and a sweet roll.

I let my mind wander as I ate, and thought of my being Dragonborn. I know the prophecy said I would be gifted by the gods with a power that would be used to save this world, but I was unsure about my having a Nordic power. More specifically, about a Redguard having such a Nordic gift, one that can only be granted by the Imperial pantheon of Divines, not the Yoku gods of my ancestry. I may acknowledge the existence of the pantheons the other human races hold, and those of elves, Khajiit, and Argonians– the Yoku prophecy holds the truth that all the different pantheons on Mundus are aspects of the central pantheon, which no soul knows in certainty– but the gods of others have always been more of a means to an end. I only pray to Stendarr or Akatosh or any of the 9 Divines when I have a disease, whereas the Yoku gods are my sacred tradition. As I neared the end of my meal, my mind wandered back to the inn, and I thought of other things. I overheard the woman who keeps the inn speaking with her husband, and I thought how oddly familiar she sounded.

I walked along the river's right bank, knowing I would be able to easily skirt along the waters to the road to Ivarstead. I was making sure not to slip on the saturated ground and fall into the water when from among the rocks pounced a sabre cat. This one looked particularly tough, and that proved true when I felt the sting of his claws against my bare arms. I fought back as best as I could, but the ferocious beast was startlingly strong strong. When I thought everything was coming to an end, I had a moment of clarity. If it was luck or the gods I cannot say for sure, though I would be inclined to say such as wild thing as this could only be the work of the gods, but I began to regain my strength quite rapidly! The cat reared back to prepare for what it thought would be its final blow, but when it jumped at me and I pulled up my shield for protection, it was like time slowed down and I could see the cat sailing above me. I ducked under the mighty swing and thrust my sword up into the cat's stomach and let the beast's own momentum tear it open. The cat was dead and to my surprise, I was not.

After this I noticed I retained this ability to call upon such unrivaled clarity in the heat of battle. I walked up the steep and winding road to Ivarstead until I came upon a bear in the wilderness. The beast and I exchanged a knowing stare, then charged. I caught the bear mid-lungs with my shout of force, then slashed deep at its thick fur. The bear's weight advantage caused me to have to backpedal every time it lunged, so our battle went on for at least an hour, until the bear overplayed its hand and lunged at me once more; I sidestepped its swipe and stabbed it in the neck. The claws scratched my shoulder, which left me with a strange soreness.

Further up the mountain I came across another bear, this one sleeping by the roadside. Not wanting to wake the creature and engage in another hour-long battle, I decided to sneak past. The left side of the road appeared to have a path that I might take around the bear, and it also offered ample cover. Heading up the path, I found that the rock cover that I was relying on blocked part of the path, so I had to climb across the craggy stone. It was precarious, as I might slip and slide down to the bear, but, the worst that happened was that one of my boots clanked against the rock and woke the bear. While the bear gazed on I drank an invisibility potion, and the bear gave up. When I was almost past and was near the end, which came quite close to the beast, the bear stood up and roared. I thought I was spotted, but in reality the bear heard something coming in the distance. I hoped to avoid hiding any longer, so I doused my scimitar in a paralysis poison and charged from the roadside. I swiped at the bear, immobilizing it, and sprinted up the road. Right into the midst of the two massive frostbite spiders that had woken the bear from its slumber. I stood little chance, outnumbered and outclassed in size; it was little shock to me that I spent the rest of the day limping defeatedly back to the Bannered Mare.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
Note that I've edited my restrictions slightly so that Cyrus can use smithing, but only to craft arrows and maybe basic items, and perhaps improve items, and only the arrows can be used. I will not take any perks beyond steel smithing.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
19/20th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201

Hulda finally let me leave the inn yesterday, after my wounds had been fully treated. The temple healers had recognized the soreness I felt as Bone Break Fever, and as such they were able to cure it before it became serious. As soon as I left the Bannered Mare and sold off a few extra things I had been carrying, I took the carriage to Riften, but not before speaking with a group of warriors of the Alik'r Coterie who were trying to gain entry to the city. They were arguing with a city guard over something, and the guard won out, which caused the mercenaries to begin making their way out of the city walls. Curious as to what any fellow natives of Hammerfell would be doing here in Skyrim, I caught up with them and struck up a conversation.

The warriors were in search of a Redguard woman, a noble of Taneth who fled from Hammerfell after selling out her city to the Thalmor. I remembered back to when I was a very young boy, when the Great War was still being fought. I vaguely recalled the men of my family grumbling about a traitor who allowed the Thalmor to sack much of the south. Anyway, the warriors believed that the traitor was living in Whiterun under an assumed name, but because of their reputation as sellswords suited less for politeness and society and more for getting their job done, the warriors would not be allowed into the city. They informed me that they were headed to Rorikstead, and they could be found waiting there if I had any information about the traitor. I assured them I would let them know if I learned anything, then climbed into the carriage.

I arrived in Riften extremely late last night, just as today was beginning, and walked into the city to find only the guards up and about. I began to make my way to the Bee and Barb, but suddenly, a roar shattered the quiet of the night. A dragon was attacking the city.

The monster landed atop one of the shops of the market and began spewing flame from its mouth towards the numerous people who rushed out to defend their city. At least half the city guard were launching arrows at the dragon as it took off from its perch and found a new one. This went on for a few moments before the populous's attacks began to do some serious damage. The shower of arrows, including my own from my frost enchanted bow eventually brought the dragon to land next to the cemetary. Immediately, townspeople and guards swarmed the creature, slicing at it from all angles. The beast caught one elf in its jaws and threw him against the city wall, but as it began moving towards another person, I used my shout of force to interrupt the attack. While the dragon was still stunned, I climbed onto its neck and drove my sword into its skull. The flesh began to disintegrate, and now the people were stunned. More than anything else I was tired, so I left the gawking crowd and headed inside to the inn, collecting a few scales and bones on the way, as well as a coin purse the dragon must have consumed while killing some person.

After I slept at the inn, I walked back outside to the marketplace and found it abuzz as usual. Some of the guards and townsfolk who had been outside when I killed the dragon applauded me on my bravery, or marveled at my gall. Those who had been asleep were astonished by the idea that they might be in the midst of a Dragonborn. I did my best to stay somewhat modest; save the tavern tales for back home in Hammerfell, where my stories of battling dragons and whatnot might be even more outlandish and incredible. After slipping on an Amulet of Zenithar I picked up not long ago, I sold some of the dragon bones and scales I had collected to Brand-Shei, who assured me he would have some rare jewelry made from them and I would perhaps receive a piece in return from protecting the city; the rest went to Belrand the blacksmith, who was pleased at the opportunity to experiment with forging from dragon bones and scales. After this was done, I set off for Fort Dawnguard, simply to see what developments had been made in the fight against the vampires. Close to the city gate I was attacked by three vampires, who I put down swiftly with the help of the guards. It was not long before I reached the Fort. I asked Soraine if she could show me how to craft crossbow bolts, and she obliged, and even tried to show me how to craft a crossbow. She said anyone with some basic knowledge of steel smithing could do it, but I have no knowledge of smithing whatsoever. I did grasp crafting bolts to a point, but I'll have to learn from a blacksmith how to work metal if I am to craft anything of some quality. Soraine tasked me with retrieving a set of Dwemer schematics from a bandit camp near Falkreath as I bid her goodbye. I will retrieve them when I next return to Rayya.

Outside, I decided to begin walking to Ivarstead, and thought it best to go throught Shor's Stone, passing through the Black-Briar property. The property was near Dayspring Canyon, and I found it quickly, as I had been there when I retrieved Frost for Louis Letrush. I found that there were again mercenaries guarding the lodge, and they took none too kindly to my trespassing. Like those before them, the sellswords died quickly by my hands. I exited the propery and began venturing to the woods. I followed a brook to an open space, dotted with trees here and there. I heard a growl in the distance. All of a sudden, two frostbite spiders sprung upon me! I am resistant to their venom, but the arachnids' strong strikes at me were painful and quick. It was a group of spiders that left me bedridden for a week not long ago, so I knew to run. And run I did...

Right into a pack of four bears. I was in over my head and had to think quick. I glanced over my shoulder and saw a fort in the distance. Holding off the bears as best as I could was taking its toll on my stamina and my life was ebbing away, and my heart was beginning to pound more violently than before. As is in the blood of Redguards, my adrenaline reserves kicked in and I moved my feet like never before. The rush was enough to get me to the fort. There were at least three bandits around the fort, but they would more likely be concerned with the four bears than me. I was right for the most part, as I retreated up to the top of part of the fort, which had been somewhat consumed by nature, while a bandit rushed into the fray. He must've been in a thick stupor of skooma and mead or something, because he seemed to think he could take on all four bears. A bandit was firing arrows down next to me, and I did the same. Our efforts did bring down one bear, but after that, the bandit next to me decided I was worth his attention, and I had to kill him. When I turned back, I looked down to see the bandit who fought with sword and shield being mauled to death. Another bandit came running from inside the fort just in time to meat the bears rushing up to where I was, and he met a similar fate, while I jumped to the ground and quickly made my way into the fort.

My eyes took a moment to adjust to the dim light. When my sight returned, I glanced around the place and saw that it was a bit ruined, with stone rubble littering the floor, along with pots, tankards, and some miscellaneous items. There was a lower chamber of the room visible through a wooden frame near the floor, though it was inaccessible. I lurched onto a nearby bench and unwrapped my meal; cooked rabbit, an apple, a loaf of bread, and a bottle of ale. I needed that ale after being chased by four bears! After my quick supper I continued through the fort. The inside of the fort was relatively barren, except for a few brigands in the captain's quarters. Once I cleared the bandit chief's quarters I found a few hundred Septims and a piece of steel armor to sell. I stowed these things away and climbed up the ladder leading outside.

Shor's Stone was a short walk from there. I considered staying the night in the settlement and heading to Ivarstead the next day, but because Shor's Stone is a small mining settlement, there is no inn, so I just sold the steel armor I looted and kept walking. I knew I had to follow the river to reach Ivarstead, and just outside the settlement was a small mountain, so I decided to hike up the side and get my bearings on where the river was. About this time the sky was beginning to darken, and it looked as if it might rain. I contemplated this until I reached the peak of the mountain, when a dragon swooped up and began to bathe me in frost. I loosed a few arrows at the dragon, but its frost was doing mor damage than I was. It flew away, so while I prepared for it to circle back, I gulped down a couple small health potions and looked for a place to defend myself. I spotted a shack below me and decided the roof would help me defend myself from the dragon's breathe while it was airborne. As the beast started to swoop back around I climbed as quickly as I could down the rocky face and ran into the shack, crouching and trying to conserve my strength. The dragon made another pass through the air, then come down for a landing. I sprung from behind the wooden wall and swung wildly at the dragon, but it was strong, and harder to defeat without ten, twenty men by your side. I even used the shout I learned in the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary to weaken the monster– I had managed to use the energy of the soul of the dragon I killed in Riften to use the shout– but I was ineffective overall. The dragon took off again, and I took my last few health potions. This went on for more than an hour at least, the only change being that I would run from the other two shacks I saw nearby, darting from cover to cover. Eventually as I weakened and the dragon did not, I knew this had to end, so I devised a strategy: when the dragon took off from the ground, I would make a break for the cliff face opposite my position, find a crevice I could fit into, drink an invisibility potion, and wait for the dragon to leave me be. When the opportunity presented itself, I ran, jumped down to a small crack in a boulder, drank a couple potions- and waited. The dragon saw which way I went, but not exactly where I was. It flew around and faced me, hovering in place and searching for my figure, but it had no luck and left as I hoped. I glanced back at the clearing where those shacks were and saw why the dragon was there; there was a word wall between two of the shacks I hadn't noticed, and it dawned on me this was the dragon's roost. As I scaled the cliff in the dark, I regretted not making an attempt to learn the word the dragon guarded before escaping, and I vowed to return with help.

It was nighttime when I got back on the road to Ivarstead, and I had only a steep mountain road left between me and the village, but I heard a bear somewhere up ahead, so at a fork in the road I took the road that led back towards Whiterun until I found a dirt path that would eventually take me back up past the bear and closer to Ivarstead. The path did not lead directly onto the road however; I found myself at an unknown cave. I didn't know what I would find within, but I hoped for a bedroll and little if any resistance. Unfortunately, there was not a bedroll to be found, only a coven of witches led by a Hagraven, a humdred or so Septims, a paralysis staff (which could prove useful in more than a couple situations, as I'll explain) and a set of scaled horn armor which I am debating using in favor of my Dawnguard piece. By the time I made my way out it was well into the night. As I walked along the road I noticed a man with a quiver of arrows on his back, doubled over next to an overturned cart. I asked if he was alright and if I could help him, and he said bandits ransacked his goods and wounded him, and if I could get him back to his camp at the ruins of Nilheim nearby he would reward me. I was only in search of a bed, so I obliged. When we reached the camp I saw the bandits had taken it over, and he ran to the ruined tower and pulled his bow. I quickly realized it was an ambush.

Four or five bandits came running at me at once. I used my shout which drains vitality upon the group and did my best to fight them off, but I was weakening, and was already tired from traveling all night, so I fled to the tower, and escaped the brigands' view. The bandits bided their time outside, both searching to see if I had gone somewhere other than the tower and preparing to burst in if I had. There was one bandit on the first level of the structure whom I managed to kill, but he must have been the weakling of the group, as he was easy to kill. I rummaged about the single drawer before retreating up the wooden ramp to the second level. By now the bandits decided I had gone into the tower, and they were taking their time coming in. The bandit who tricked me was creeping up towards the entrance. When he walked in, I was ready. I met him with a bash from my shield, then another, and another, driving him out to the edge of the walkway and not letting him harm me. When he was teetering, I shouted him to his death.

I decided to search up one level and found in a chest a Dwemer shield, enchanted with a strong resistance to shock. I grabbed it and turned to find a bandit right in front of me who apparently had been asleep on a bedroll in the shadows! I smashed her backwards and jumped past her onto the other side of the third floor, which had a gaping hole in the center. The bandit, being a burly Nord woman, couldn't quite jump far enough to reach me, ams she wasn't quite smart enough to consider calling for help. This bought me some time, and let me formulate a plan for disposing of the woman. When the sun was just peaking over the mountaintops I jumped down next to the door outside and used my life-draining shout to weaken the bandit, then backpedaled outside. I pulled out the paralysis staff and charged it, and when the woman came running out and threw her weight into a mighty swing of her battleaxe, I released the staff's charge onto her. Her momentum threw her frozen body haplessly down the walkway, which acted as a ramp, and all the way down to the ground just outside the circle of brigands who sat around a campfire, having given up on their search for me. The woman survived, astonishingly enough– probably thanks to the paralysis– and alerted her friends to my presence. By no means did I stick around after that, for I had crept out of the watchtower and was running along the riverbank to Ivarstead by then. Right now I'm slumped exhausted and half asleep in a chair in the Vilemyr Inn, eating a heavy breakfast and looking forward to climbing into bed.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts