Is it just me or is it difficult making a character to side with the Stormcloaks?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
I joined the Stormcloaks.
The Imperials wanted me dead. and I hold a grudge.. but only a little bit..

Moris

The most difficult thing about making a character that sides with the Stormcloaks is admitting that you did publicly in these forums and still keeping any friends. :p

Adventurer

Well... the Civil War is one of my most favorite topics in Skyrim. Good job Bethesda for setting the story up.
What you have to know about me is that my favorite race is an Imperial and my first character in Skyrim was an Imperial.

Then I started playing Skyrim...
-When you first play the intro you ask yourself what an idiot these Imperials are...
-When you first go around Whiterun Hold you see peoples taken prisoner by the Legion
-You hear about the freedom fight of the Nords
-You hear about Talos worship being Banned (Oblivion players know how important Talos was in the Imperial City and the whole Cyrodiil)
-You go to Solitude and you See Tullius's inability to understand the Nord traditions (Tullius' only weakness)
By experiencing that I was inevitably made a Freedom fight supporter no matter the race. That means the Stormcloaks. Definitely the Empire is a bunch of incompetent fools on many occasions. Sad but true.

Then I delved deeper in the game. I started adventuring in Stormcloak territory. And begun experiencing how is life there. And yes, the visit to Windhelm was very very sobering. Not only the racism which was evident. IRL I have been a line manager for five years. I tend to look and see how things are being run in a place. Look at Windhelm. Look at the roads and buildings, they are very poorly maintained. How can someone lead a country if he cannot run well his own city? Then you get to know Ulfric and that is the last drop that pushes you away from the Stormcloaks. He is a nationalist jerk and a dictator that IRL I unlike so much. And that is the end of that.

I'd rather live in a mis-functioning Empire than in Ulfric's dictatorship.

Even if I'd be a Nord I would support the Empire. Not with an easy hart but I would do so. Why, because the empire has brought much of the development to Skyrim while Ulfric would make the whole country bankrupt.

--------------

Now, since I myself like to try every side I collected a few motives that would lead one to the Stormcloak side.
There are two main reasons to join the Stormcloaks:
1. Being a proud nationalist Nord
2. Hate the Empire more for any reason

1. If your character is a Nord who is a man/woman of feelings and not pragmatism, who is easily influenced by Ulfric's speeches about the Nord way of life, tradition etc that he/she joins the Stormcloaks. We have to admit that the problems Ulfric mentiones are true.
2. You hate the Empre more. At the beginning of the game you are nearly executed by the Empire that alone could lead you to the Stormcloaks. Even an Imperial criminal who was severely punished back in Cirodiil and nearly executed in the intro would take up arms against the Empire. A Redguard could also easily side with them. Nords repect warriors and Redguarda are good warriors. Plus Hammerfell already seceded from the Empire. Bretons could also join the Stomcloaks to prepare the secession of High Rock later (I know about the Forsworn massacare but not every Breton regards them as kin.). Mer and beast-folk are out of question.

-----------------

At last but not least, I wrote a summary about the Civil War from Imperial point of view here:
A soldier reborn: day 8/B - Notes on the Civil War in Skyrim

Cylos

The Last Dragonborn
current high king commits treachery against skyrim.
high king challenged in the old way.
high king accepts.
high king defeated with the use of the thu'um.
victor's use of the thu'um proved and openly displayed to everyone the righteousness of his cause.
So if I challenged Ulfric in the 'old ways'
He accepted
Killed him with the most powerful Thu'um in Tamriel - that slayed Alduin
And that proves the righteousness of my cause
Does that mean I could declare myself High King?
This is your logic btw not mine, I consider myself neutral.
I'd declare a bunny as High King, in the hope that Sheogorath would appear and bless it with the power of Cheese!

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
Well... the Civil War is one of my most favorite topics in Skyrim. Good job Bethesda for setting the story up.
What you have to know about me is that my favorite race is an Imperial and my first character in Skyrim was an Imperial.

Then I started playing Skyrim...
-When you first play the intro you ask yourself what an idiot these Imperials are...
-When you first go around Whiterun Hold you see peoples taken prisoner by the Legion
-You hear about the freedom fight of the Nords
-You hear about Talos worship being Banned (Oblivion players know how important Talos was in the Imperial City and the whole Cyrodiil)
-You go to Solitude and you See Tullius's inability to understand the Nord traditions (Tullius' only weakness)
By experiencing that I was inevitably made a Freedom fight supporter no matter the race. That means the Stormcloaks. Definitely the Empire is a bunch of incompetent fools on many occasions. Sad but true.

Then I delved deeper in the game. I started adventuring in Stormcloak territory. And begun experiencing how is life there. And yes, the visit to Windhelm was very very sobering. Not only the racism which was evident. IRL I have been a line manager for five years. I tend to look and see how things are being run in a place. Look at Windhelm. Look at the roads and buildings, they are very poorly maintained. How can someone lead a country if he cannot run well his own city? Then you get to know Ulfric and that is the last drop that pushes you away from the Stormcloaks. He is a nationalist jerk and a dictator that IRL I unlike so much. And that is the end of that.

I'd rather live in a mis-functioning Empire than in Ulfric's dictatorship.

Even if I'd be a Nord I would support the Empire. Not with an easy hart but I would do so. Why, because the empire has brought much of the development to Skyrim while Ulfric would make the whole country bankrupt.

--------------

Now, since I myself like to try every side I collected a few motives that would lead one to the Stormcloak side.
There are two main reasons to join the Stormcloaks:
1. Being a proud nationalist Nord
2. Hate the Empire more for any reason

1. If your character is a Nord who is a man/woman of feelings and not pragmatism, who is easily influenced by Ulfric's speeches about the Nord way of life, tradition etc that he/she joins the Stormcloaks. We have to admit that the problems Ulfric mentiones are true.
2. You hate the Empre more. At the beginning of the game you are nearly executed by the Empire that alone could lead you to the Stormcloaks. Even an Imperial criminal who was severely punished back in Cirodiil and nearly executed in the intro would take up arms against the Empire. A Redguard could also easily side with them. Nords repect warriors and Redguarda are good warriors. Plus Hammerfell already seceded from the Empire. Bretons could also join the Stomcloaks to prepare the secession of High Rock later (I know about the Forsworn massacare but not every Breton regards them as kin.). Mer and beast-folk are out of question.

-----------------

At last but not least, I wrote a summary about the Civil War from Imperial point of view here:
A soldier reborn: day 8/B - Notes on the Civil War in Skyrim

Indeed you got my point. although Ulfric is a racist. ( yeah guys a Stormcloak admits) but I also hold a grudge against the Thalmor, most difficult fights I had when I needed to rescue someone from that fort..

sorry for my english, it's not my native language.

Panthera

Don Gato
The most difficult thing about making a character that sides with the Stormcloaks is admitting that you did publicly in these forums and still keeping any friends. :p
If you want I can be your friend no matter of the differences in opinion. ;) :) :D

Panthera

Don Gato
Nope. Won't happen. :p
Oh well... I tried and my offer still open... but don't say that people who prefer Imperials don't want to be your friends cuz you prefer Stormcloaks. ;)

Moris

If you want I can be your friend no matter of the differences in opinion. ;) :) :D

Nope. As the saying goes, "With friends like that, who needs enemies?" :p

--

And now for the obligatory on-topic assurance tag...

The thread title is:

Is it just me or is it difficult making a character to side with the Stormcloaks?

Obviously it's not just you, forum member who posted back in July of last year. If you were here to read this necro'd, you'd be happy to see that there is a 360 page sticky thread detailing exactly why so many people feel a similar angst. Take comfort in knowing you are not alone. :)

Moris

Oh well... I tried and my offer still open... but don't say that people who prefer Imperials don't want to be your friends cuz you prefer Stormcloaks. ;)

I don't prefer Stormcloaks. But you wouldn't know that because you're not my friend, nor have you read more than very few of my posts. ;)

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Survival instinct takes over and I join the side that aren't losing their heads. :p

You want to join Stormcloaks in the beginning you're all like "Screw these Imperials, lets break free brothers... whats the plan?" Stormcloak moves to the block "Plan guys? Is he going to do something? We gonna kill them all right?" Stormcloak loses his head "Oh plops... guys you do have a plan right?" You get called up "Man you guys suck I should I befriended these Imperials"

Panthera

Don Gato
I don't prefer Stormcloaks. But you wouldn't know that because you're not my friend, nor have you read more than very few of my posts. ;)
Well I assumed you prefer stormcloaks by what you said before. :)

Of course not, I've just met you. But I'm always open for friendships. :)

Adolf Stormcloak

My title's better than your title
I see what you mean, well The Empire doesn't have a direct say in who is to become High King, since the Moot decides. So Ulfric actually would of had to vote Torygg in. The Empire backs Elisif because by all rights High Queen would be hers since she was married to Torygg and Ulfric is wanted for High Treason so they wouldn't exactly back him.

I thought the moot only convened when there was no High King to inherit the throne. ;O

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I thought the moot only convened when there was no High King to inherit the throne. ;O

They convene when the High King is dead, like when Torygg's father died Ulfric was at that moot to place Torygg on the Throne. They went to Civil war before the Nords joined the Cyrodiil Empire, when the moot couldn't name a High King, that civil war was very long. Though it seems they can also convene to remove the current High King if they feel he is doing wrong. Like if he turned down Ulfric's challenge he could be removed. Though no one was really counting on Ulfric to use the voice, which is the main reason a good part of Skyrim believe it was unfair and just murder not honorable combat.

Adolf Stormcloak

My title's better than your title
They convene when the High King is dead, like when Torygg's father died Ulfric was at that moot to place Torygg on the Throne. They went to Civil war before the Nords joined the Cyrodiil Empire, when the moot couldn't name a High King, that civil war was very long. Though it seems they can also convene to remove the current High King if they feel he is doing wrong. Like if he turned down Ulfric's challenge he could be removed. Though no one was really counting on Ulfric to use the voice, which is the main reason a good part of Skyrim believe it was unfair and just murder not honorable combat.

Oh I know, I just find it so sexy when you incite information at me. <3

Svarnor

Shadowcloak of Nocturnal
They convene when the High King is dead, like when Torygg's father died Ulfric was at that moot to place Torygg on the Throne. quote]

Actually...
Moot - The Elder Scrolls Wiki
If you read down, the Moot occurs whenever a High King dies, but if the high king has a heir, it's only ceremonial. So, although I'm not saying your point is invalid, that little bit's incorrect. I get how you got there though, seeing as those dastardly loading screens only show a tiny little sliver of information. :mad:

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage

To recognize the High King yes, but they each have to go and recognize the person as the High King. Though the moot can occur while the High King is still alive 'The Moot can reconvene during a living High King's reign if he breaks some taboo which makes the Jarls of Skyrim lose confidence in him, such as refusing a challenge made in the old traditions'

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Also it is better to use UESP instead of elder scrolls wiki, since it is poorly patrolled and has many mistakes in it.

Svarnor

Shadowcloak of Nocturnal
Also it is better to use UESP instead of elder scrolls wiki, since it is poorly patrolled and has many mistakes in it.

Really? I haven't had that experience. Anyway, my point wasn't against that, it was that the jarls did really have much of a choice. Who knows, maybe they didnt want someone that young on the throne?

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Really? I haven't had that experience. Anyway, my point wasn't against that, it was that the jarls did really have much of a choice. Who knows, maybe they didnt want someone that young on the throne?

He isn't very young, younger than people around him I suppose. But every New High King isn't always the best at first.

Torygg.png
That is Torygg.

Svarnor

Shadowcloak of Nocturnal
I thought there was some dialogue about him being "scarcely more than a boy" or something... I might be wrong.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts