Is it just me or is it difficult making a character to side with the Stormcloaks?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Janus3003

Skyrim Marriage Counselor
No, it's because everyone supports the Empire.
Might want to read the thread again, because there are others besides you and osheao.

Docta Corvina

^ This. For a while, between this and any of the countless other threads like it, it seemed that the Stormcloaks were the more popular of the two factions. I've since been seeing that it's a bit more evenly split than that. Like contemporary politics!

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
No, it's because everyone supports the Empire.
No. I generally don't do the civil war quest line at all (one a piece just to see what the content was like). I just think think that an independent Skyrim deserves much better than a narcissistic egomaniacal usurper and despot like Ulfric and his xenophobic Stormcloaks.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
No, no I don't.
There was a slaughter at Kynesgrove orchestrated by Ulfric (at least I think it was Kynesgrove, but the location doesn't really matter) during the war before the game begins. It can be mentioned by Tullius during the meeting at High Hrothgar.
This event only happens if you follow certain dialogue paths during the peace negotiations in Season Unending. The location is radiant. More importantly, if you follow another path of dialogues it's the Imperial Legion that has killed non-combatants. The overall concept we can take from available dialogues during the peace negotiations is that neither side has clean hands in the war.

"The first casualty of war is innocence." Platoon - 1986

Panthera

Don Gato
LOL I couldn't bring my self to side with stormcloaks even as Nord! I mean the emperor abolished Talos for the empire sake. And at the end what can independent Skyrim possible achieve? They can only get crushed by Akavir. They have better chances united within empire!

Ru;indil

Mage Lord of Skywatch
LOL I couldn't bring my self to side with stormcloaks even as Nord! I mean the emperor abolished Talos for the empire sake. And at the end what can independent Skyrim possible achieve? They can only get crushed by Akavir. They have better chances united within empire!

Lolwut. Its Summerset Isles , Valenwood and Elsweyr form the Dominion. Not Akavir. Anyways I pretty much use that reason for the civil war and siding with the Empire.
Skyrim alone will be crushed by the Dominion. If Stormcloak supporters read the dossier of Ulfric Stormcloak in the Thalmor Embassy , then they will realize that what the Thalmor want is for the Stormcloaks to win so they can crush the lone Skyrim and then the weakened Empire which will only have two provinces at that , High Rock and Cyrodiil (Not Morrowind since it is still damaged due to the eruption of Red Mountain). I hope Stormcloak supporters understand this...

Panthera

Don Gato
Lolwut. Its Summerset Isles , Valenwood and Elsweyr form the Dominion. Not Akavir.

I know that, what I wanted to point out Akavir could occupy Skyrim and that would be problem for whole Tamriel if Akavir get foothold on Tamriel land.

Gunnbjorn

Formerly known as Arillious
The Empire is very open to all races, which is quite nice.

However, I do think there is reasoning as to why the Stormcloaks, well, Nords in general hate all the races right now.

It's pretty simple: People are coming into their land, and they are threatened by it. The Empire has come in in hopes to take it over, and the Thalmor are casually just wandering Skyrim with the ability to do anything they damn well please.

They don't know who to trust, so they trust nobody but their own race - because they know that the Nords will want to respect and defend their land and their traditions.

It isn't as if the Nords are planning to take over the world. They are trying to defend their land and fight back everyone who is trying to change it. Now, if or when they do repel the Empire, they will most likely go after the Thalmor out of hate, but that's the only race I could see that should have a permanent hate in every Nords heart.

Here's a terrible analogy: If a bunch of people were trying to come in and take over your house, deed and laws aside, would you trust anyone other than your family going near your property? :D NO.

I know Ulfric is kind of an a-hole, and he may still discriminate even after he becomes High-King, but that's what I'll argue with for now.

I didn't do any research for this post, I kind of just thought about it just now, there's probably some holes in it that need correcting, so correct me if anything is wrong, just don't think I'm being serious, because it was just my initial thoughts and predictions.

Ru;indil

Mage Lord of Skywatch
I know that, what I wanted to point out Akavir could occupy Skyrim and that would be problem for whole Tamriel if Akavir get foothold on Tamriel land.

Oh , I see. But still , that would happen rarely. And Akavir wouldn't even know of the Tamrielic Empire's disintegration since they are a distant land.

Panthera

Don Gato
Oh , I see. But still , that would happen rarely. And Akavir wouldn't even know of the Tamrielic Empire's disintegration since they are a distant land.
Well Akavir did invade Tamriel few times alredy and now would be pretty good time if they did it again. :)

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
The Empire is very open to all races, which is quite nice.

However, I do think there is reasoning as to why the Stormcloaks, well, Nords in general hate all the races right now.

It's pretty simple: People are coming into their land, and they are threatened by it. The Empire has come in in hopes to take it over, and the Thalmor are casually just wandering Skyrim with the ability to do anything they damn well please.

They don't know who to trust, so they trust nobody but their own race - because they know that the Nords will want to respect and defend their land and their traditions.

It isn't as if the Nords are planning to take over the world. They are trying to defend their land and fight back everyone who is trying to change it. Now, if or when they do repel the Empire, they will most likely go after the Thalmor out of hate, but that's the only race I could see that should have a permanent hate in every Nords heart.

Here's a terrible analogy: If a bunch of people were trying to come in and take over your house, deed and laws aside, would you trust anyone other than your family going near your property? :D NO.

I know Ulfric is kind of an a-hole, and he may still discriminate even after he becomes High-King, but that's what I'll argue with for now.

I didn't do any research for this post, I kind of just thought about it just now, there's probably some holes in it that need correcting, so correct me if anything is wrong, just don't think I'm being serious, because it was just my initial thoughts and predictions.

What do you mean the Empire has come in, in hopes to take it over?

Gunnbjorn

What do you mean the Empire has come in, in hopes to take it over?

They are trying to come in and take control from the Stormcloaks in order for Jarl Elisif, who is an unspoken supporter of the Empire, to take the throne.

One could argue if this were to be accomplished, the Empire could have control of Skyrim as well, since it would be there doing if Elisif were to become High-Queen. She would be eternally grateful.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
They are trying to come in and take control from the Stormcloaks in order for Jarl Elisif, who is an unspoken supporter of the Empire, to take the throne.

One could argue if this were to be accomplished, the Empire could have control of Skyrim as well, since it would be there doing if Elisif were to become High-Queen. She would be eternally grateful.

Have control in Skyrim? Skyrim has been apart of the Empire for like a thousand years. Why would they need to come in now and steal control of it. Legion in Skyrim has always been there so it isn't a new thing for Skyrim to see Legionnaires.

Gunnbjorn

Have control in Skyrim? Skyrim has been apart of the Empire for like a thousand years. Why would they need to come in now and steal control of it. Legion in Skyrim has always been there so it isn't a new thing for Skyrim to see Legionnaires.

So the Stormcloak Rebellion is a non factor, and the Empire still has complete control in Skyrim?

Again, that post was something I came up with out of the blue - I just wanted somebody to correct my thought process, not argue with it. :) I said I did no research.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
So the Stormcloak Rebellion is a non factor, and the Empire still has complete control in Skyrim?

Again, that post was something I came up with out of the blue - I just wanted somebody to correct my thought process, not argue with it. :) I said I did no research.

I see what you mean, well The Empire doesn't have a direct say in who is to become High King, since the Moot decides. So Ulfric actually would of had to vote Torygg in. The Empire backs Elisif because by all rights High Queen would be hers since she was married to Torygg and Ulfric is wanted for High Treason so they wouldn't exactly back him.

Though it isn't just the Empire who disagrees with Ulfric, since half of Skyrim don't believe the challenge was honorable, I don't either mainly because Ulfric used the voice. Be like me challenging you to a knife fight but pulling out a shotgun. If I shot you with that then killed you with the knife while you were on the floor, then by all technical rights I finished you with the knife. So it must be fair right?

Moris

This is exactly what we need. A necro'd thread on the topic of Imp v SC.

Good. I can play.

I think I may be just one point away from Talking Points Bingo already.

Svarnor

Shadowcloak of Nocturnal
I still have trouble with accepting Ulfric's challenge as legit.

I mean, once upon a time, it was perfectly okay for two dudes to settle their personal issues with a duel to the death. There was a whole ceremony, witnesses, the whole nine yards. But today, that's murder. You can explain to the judge all you want about how it was all done by the book, you're still going to jail for killing somebody.

Yeah.... I get that. I think what It really comes down to is whether or not Torygg accepted Ulfric's challenge, or if he was murdered.

The Iron Raven xvx

Ebony armor, by Ysmir, 'tis a wondrous sight...
I joined the Imperials. More disciplined, coordinated, and militaristic. You get to capture a fort as an initiation to auxiliary while in the Stormcloaks, you get to fight some Ice Wraith a long ways away.

Also, if Ulfric really had wanted Talos worship to return, they should have stood against the Thalmor. If he as much as tried to negotiate with the Empire, though his army isn't as impressive as the Imperial Legion in my opinion, it still represents a strong force in Skyrim. I'd say the Emperor'd be more than happy to join with Ulfric and take out the Aldmeri Dominion (the source of all this anti-Talos crap) who almost handed their @sses to them on the previous Great War.

The moment he said that, I let Tullius finish him off.
A friend of mine gave Ulfric his song. The song that he deserved, but not the song that he needed.
Lol I ALMOST let Tullius finish him off for me but then I changed my mind and hacked him countless times. I also wore his clothes and jumped around Windhelm and Solitude. (His almost naked body is still slumped on the throne of the new Jarl a few months after the Civil War is over).