Immortal Words - Saurano Direnni

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BIGwooly

Morndas Night / Open Water

These drunken idiots. They are going to sail us right up onto a rock.

They tried to get me to drink with them tonight. And they seemed genuinely irritated that I wouldn't. Irritated and shocked. After that came the insults. Nothing too harmful. Mostly just the product of their drinking and their irritation. Still, the remarks about my gender left me wanting to turn them all into walking .. drinking .. stupid .. torches.

The captain is awake with me, though he doesn't know I'm awake. I'm keeping an eye on him to make sure he doesn't fall asleep at the helm. I won't have this fool shipwreck me just as I'm getting back to Morrowind. That would be a travesty.

The others are all completely passed out. They were drinking like reasonable men as the day gave way to night. But the moment they realized they weren't going to get me to drink they lost their minds and gorged themselves on cheap mead and ale. I'd rather drink kwama blood.

I just keep reminding myself that in another day or so I'll be able to bid farewell to these drunken curs.

BIGwooly

Tirdas Midday / Open Water

The air is changing. I can feel it. It's getting warmer. Heavier.

We should make landfall in Morrowind this evening, and Gnaar Mok by this time tomorrow, assuming this captain knows anything about Morrowind's coasts. They aren't exactly safe to navigate at night, not even on a clear night. The entire coast around Vvardenfell is littered with rocks hungry for the hulls of ships.

So my guess is we'll pick up the coast by sunset, anchor somewhere safe, then continue south first thing in the morning for a few hours and make Gnaar Mok. I have no idea where the other two men are headed. They haven't offered up that information and honestly, I don't care. As long as I get my feet back on solid ground in a land where nords are the minority, I'll be happy.

BIGwooly

Middas Morning / Unknown Coast

Those back-stabbing swine. You can't trust anyone in this world. No one.

I awoke in the dead of night with all four of the men on top of me. The captain had anchored off an island at sunset so I let myself fall asleep. There was no sense staying awake if the captain was being smart and staying put during the night. At least that's what I thought. I was wrong.

So I woke with the weight of these men pressing down on me, pinning my arms and legs. I struggled against them, but there's not much one can do in a situation like that. They had me mostly imobilized, and one of them was working a rope around me.

My first thought was wondering why they hadn't just killed me in my sleep if they intended me harm. Obviously they were going to rob me. I had no doubt they planned to kill me as well. So why not just do it without the hassle? Any one of them could have run a dagger through my throat while I dreamed.

It wasn't until I saw the look in one of their eyes, and the faintest grin on his face, that I realized why they had kept me alive. One female on a boat full of males.

I struggled harder, and the man who's eyes I had locked onto seemed to understand that I knew. His evil smile grew a bit. He liked that I knew. And despite my struggling the rope continued to snake around my body. I didn't have much time. I needed to focus and come up with a plan.

Physically overpowering the men was out of the question. All of my struggling was only serving to tire me out and give them more enjoyment. I needed to reserve my strength and use my intelligence. These men were brawny, but not exactly the brightest.

As I relaxed my body a bit and stared upward into the stars the plan came to me. Truth be told, it was a single prominent star that gave me inspiration. As if in a dream I fixated on it and noted it's sparkling brilliance ... just like the jewel in the amulet I wore. My amulet.

My body was relaxed now and I opened my lips to speak the words that would set me free. Or so I hoped. To the captain, who was taking great care with the binding of the rope, I spoke my words directly. He paused and gauged my honesty. I had told him I wore an amulet of great power. That I was willing to teach him how to use it if he promised to just drop me off on land at first light.

Of course, I knew even if he agreed to those terms I would never set foot on land. But I wasn't bargaining on that. I just needed him to believe I was.

He dropped the rope and reached inside my blouse, taking his time to locate the amulet. It took every ounce of willpower to remain calm and not resist. Finally, he took the amulet from my neck with a toothy grin. He was excited, yet impatient, to hear how it worked.

For show I made him promise and give his word that he would not bring me harm and would allow me to go free in the morning. He agreed, and I could see his confidence was brimming now. Good.

I told him he needed to be wearing the amulet, and that he would need to mentally connect with it to access it's power. The brainless sod never even asked what the power was. It's a good thing he didn't. I hadn't thought of what the power should be, and any hesitation to a question like that could have been the end of my ruse.

Instead the old sea dog put the necklace over his head and closed his eyes as I instructed him to. I told him he needed to repeat the words I spoke, and that his eyes needed to be closed so that he could concentrate on the words. The captain did this, certain that his three accomplices could keep me pinned down without any issues.

So I had him repeat a series of meaningless words. I had to be careful not to make it too complicated, lest I forget what I had told him to say. After the first chant I told him he wasn't concentrating hard enough, and that he needed to speak the words more softly. And I repeated the phrases again.

This time I noticed that the eyes of my captors were now all on the captain, and that their grips on me had lessened just a bit. I had the captain repeat the phrases again, encouraging him to feel the energy building up in his chest. The gullible fool actually said he could feel something, like a warmth growing behind the amulet, and happily repeated my words again. The other three men were mesmerized now, watching and waiting to see what power their leader would gain .. listening intently to every word he spoke. And their grips on me loosened just a bit more.

I was playing a dangerous game. If I waited too long then I risked them disbelieving my claim, and then I was going to be dead .. and worse. If I acted too early their grips on me would still be too tight, and I would fail to escape.

To my surprise the captain was helping me sell the whole charade. He actually believed the amulet was enchanted with power, and as I had him repeat the words one more time I knew it was time to make my move. The man on my right had relaxed his grip significantly. His full attention was on the captain now. Perfect.

With the captain still stupidly chanting the meaningless words, I tore my right arm loose and rolled violently to my left. While not an expert in hand-to-hand fighting techniques by any measure, my blow to the first mate's jaw was unexpected enough to rock him backwards, allowing me to free my left arm as well.

The captain's eyes were open now and I could read the shock on his face. He was processing everything at a snail's pace, thanks in part to the copious amount of ale he drinks on a nightly basis. I could see he was still trying to determine if I had lied about the amulet or not. At any moment it wasn't going to matter either way, and he was going to join his crew in trying to secure me again.

My hands were free, though, and I already had my flame ready to go. I let loose a burst right at the captain, who fell back in shock and pain. Then I quickly brought my hands down to loose another burst at the man on my legs. He shrieked and stumbled to his feet.

With my legs now free too I brought them up and kicked the man backwards. He collided with the captain and both fell to the deck together. The man who had been on my right was grabbing my back now, and the first mate regained himself and pulled a dagger that glistened with poison. My hands were still free so I let another burst of fire loose at the first mate, then thrust my body backwards against the ship's mast. This knocked the wind from the lungs of the man on my back, and allowed me to break free.

The moment that followed was like when I saw the star in the sky. It was like a painting, frozen in time. Like a memory from a dream. The scene was lit only by a mast lantern and by the fires I had started on the deck of the ship. The light flickered oddly across the bodies of the four men strewn about the deck. My armor, my axe and my satchel were still resting next to my makeshift bedroll. I only had this moment to make a decision before the men would be recovered.

I decided I had no choice. To stay and try to fight the four men would be certain suicide. There was no time to put my armor back on, and without it I would never survive against four opponents. These men, while not the smartest, were plenty strong.

So I did the only thing I could. I sprinted for my satchel and snagged it with a free hand. The latch popped on the side and contents spilled forth. The men were mostly on their feet now and drawing weapons of all varieties. I was out of time.

I launched one more fireball into the deck of the ship and then ... jumped overboard.

Anyone who has spent any amount of time in the province of Morrowind can tell you one thing for certain. The waters are deadly. No one in their right mind goes swimming in Morrowind. A half-dozen slaughterfish will be on you before you can swim forty paces. It's a horrible way to die.

But I jumped into the cool water anyways. I knew that to stay on the boat was certain death. The water was my only escape from that.

I swam away from the boat as quickly as I could. The men on the boat quickly turned their attention away from me. They knew I was dead now that I was in the water. Their only concern now was to make sure they didn't end up in the water, and the fire I had left on deck was testing that.

So I swam hard, until my lungs were ready to burst and I was sucking in more water than air. I had yet to feel the sting of a slaughterfish's teeth, and it was perplexing. Still I expected a frenzy of them around me at any moment, and it kept me swimming even with no energy left in my muscles.

And then my hand struck rock. And my knee as well. I had managed to find land, and I scampered ashore as quickly as I could. I was shivering, not so much from being cold, but from the shock of the past few minutes. My worst fear has always been to end up in the water with slaughterfish ripping the flesh from my bones. To have survived a swim like I just did left me wondering once again if I should take up religion.

But it wasn't divine intervention. I realized as I watched the small dance of fire on the boat in the distance that the slaughterfish who were in the waters here had probably been drawn to the light of the fire, and had missed me. They do seem to operate more on sight than sound anyways. An amazing coincidence of luck.

Eventually the flickering fire in the distance dimmed and disappeared. The lack of screams from men in the water told me the crew had gotten the fire under control, and that the boat hadn't sunk. A pity. It would have been a fitting end to those vermin.

I crawled further up onto the land and found a nook in some rocks to use as cover. Within an hour or two I had fallen asleep, exhausted from my trials.

LordofMethuselah

Vampiric Illusionary Necromage of Destruction
I assume its the opening to morrowwind?

BIGwooly

Middas Mid-day / Unknown Island

I have had a chance to gather my thoughts and have a look around. I had no idea where I was when I wrote earlier this morning. I'm really not even sure why I wrote. I just do. This strange book compels me.

Strange also that it survived my midnight swim to shore. The paper is still fresh, and the words are all still present. It's quite a marvel. I've never seen a book quite like this one before.

As for the rest of my belongings, I'm in a bad state. I had to leave my armor and my enchanted axe behind. It was all far to heavy to take into the water with me. Things wouldn't have been quite so bad if my satchel hadn't come open when I grabbed it. I lost a number of items right there on the deck, and surely must have lost more during my frantic swim to shore.

Of my nine samples of vampire ash, I now only have three. I saw several fall out on the boat, and it pained me to no end to jump overboard without them. I endured a lot to collect those. I also only have a fraction of the gold I had previously. I had more than a thousand septims, and now I have just one hundred and sixty-six coins. Also a painful reminder of last night.

Most of my potions made the journey, most notably some health potions and a magicka potion. I predict these will save my life in the days to come, provided I actually survive. I don't even have shoes on my feet right now.

Despite all of this I took a survey of the land around me. It took about half an hour to discover I'm on an island. That was disheartening. I was hoping I'd reached mainland. Being on an island in Morrowind is the next best thing to a death sentence. With no boat in sight, I'll have to test the waters if I want to leave, and I've already mentioned once what my greatest fear is.

I'm sitting on the highest point of the island right now. From here I can see most of the island. It's not very large. I won't be able to stay here long or I'll starve to death. Would be nice if I could just wait around for a passing ship, but I have no idea where this island is, and it's possible that a ship might not pass here for another hundred years.

I've already had my first run in with the local fauna. A cliff racer spotted me as I was climbing the mountain. I forgot how utterly frustrating these creatures are, hovering above you and attacking with a nasty barbed tail. With no armor and no axe it was a tricky moment, but my magicka held out and I managed to kill the thing.

Now I'm debating my next move. As it happens, there is a shack below me. I've been watching it for an hour, but I haven't seen any movement. It's possible .. even probable .. that the shack is abandoned. This would be a great fortune for me, to have a roof over my head tonight and a place to seek refuge from the predators that are sure to come for me.

But it's also entirely possible that someone lives in the shack, and given this island's seemingly remote location they are probably insane and murderous. But I can't just sit here on the top of a mountain fighting cliff racers for the next few days while I slowly starve to death.

So it's either the shack and the murderous hermit, or the water and the ravenous slaughterfish.

Welcome to Morrowind I suppose.

MORROWIND SPECIFIC RESTRICTIONS
------------------------------------------
Ariana
- must apply level points to strength/intelligence/willpower and then agility/speed/endurance
- major skills (heavy armor, axe, destruction, armorer, mercantile)
- minor skills (unarmored, block, speechcraft, medium armor, hand-to-hand)
- may only carry 40% of carry ability (comparable with differences in Morrowind weights)
- normal difficulty (Morrowind is inherently more challenging, and DEAD IS DEAD is still in effect)
- must eat 3 meals a day via ingredients (no real 'food' supply in Morrowind)
- not allowed to use the in-game maps
- must start with the following:
--- common shirt
--- common pants
--- 6 cheap restore health potions
--- 1 standard restore magicka potion
--- 1 potion of cure common disease
--- 1 bargain potion of fatigue
--- 3 samples of vampire dust
--- 166 gold

BIGwooly

Turdas Afternoon / Unknown Island

I chose to investigate the shack. It wasn't abandoned.

Inside I met an old dunmer woman who immediately instructed me to leave. Desperate for food and some shred of assistance, I gave her a hundred septims to try and improve her attitude. It didn't work. She didn't offer me any help and insisted that I leave. Apparently she thought it fair to keep my offering of gold.

Well, that was far from fair. For a hundred septims I expected some form of help. Even a morsel of food. Something. But she offered nothing, and I wasn't about to walk out the door and leave my coins behind with this eccentric old hag.

I demanded my gold back, and she demanded I leave. We were at an impasse. I had no choice. I hit her with flame and she responded with her fists. I continued to burn her with magic until I had no more available. Then it was my fists against hers. It's was almost funny. Here we were, two women in some remote shack trying kill each other with bare knuckles.

To my surprise the woman was quite tough. We grappled for hours. Literally. We were exhausted and I began to think the fight would never end. The afternoon and evening came and passed and we fought into the night. We rained down blow after blow on each other, and still neither of us would yield.

Finally I managed to knock her down, and she was nearly unconscious. We had been fighting for so long that some of my magicka had regenerated. I took that brief moment to cast flame on her, and then again. With a great exhausted cry she felt backwards on the floor ... dead.

I searched her shack, hoping to find food and a weapon or armor or potions. I found food, but nothing else. I searched the old woman's body and retrieved my gold. I felt bad for what had happened. I never wanted to kill the woman. But she had no right to keep my gold if she wasn't going to help me. She should have just given it back.

Now I'm sitting outside staring at a bit of land that isn't too far from the island. In the right conditions I'm sure I could make the swim. But the water is clear today and I can see a dreugh swimming around. They are deadly creatures, and it would surely spot me if I entered the water. I may have to wait a few hours or try again tomorrow. At least I have enough food to last me a few days now.

BIGwooly

Fredas Afternoon / Unknown

I decided to try and leave the island today. There is no sustainable food source and thus no point in staying. So I found the spot where the distance between the island and the other coast was smallest. This was critical. I wanted to be in the water for the least time possible. Slaughterfish work quickly.

I was barely in the water for a few moments before I felt the first bite. I barely had time to wince from the pain before I felt the second, from a second fish. A third fish joined the frenzy and I felt panic setting in. But I kept my strokes as consistent as I could and did my best to ignore the painful bites.

By some stroke of luck I made it to the other side, bleeding but alive. The water behind me was teeming with slaughterfish. I amazed I made it across.

After some recovery time I set out to explore the new land. I hiked to the top of a mountain and quickly determined I was not on an island. There was land ahead of me for as far as I could see. So I guess I'm going to start following the coast to the south. If nothing else, eventually I'll end up in Vivec itself.

BIGwooly

Loredas Early Morning / Unknown

It's dark and I'm feeling very vulnerable. I've spent hours upon hours following the coast south, as well as running from all variety of threats. Mostly I've had to avoid cliff racers and rats, but I had a large beetle chase me at one point as well. While trying to evade the beetle I slipped on a steep hillside slid down into the sea. The rock was too steep for me to get back out, so once again I was swimming for my life.

By the time I managed to get back out of the water I was half dead and twice as tired. I really .. really ... really hate slaughterfish. I love this land, but if the dark elves could just find a way to clean up their waters I'd love it more.

I rested for a few hours to recover, but I felt the need to press on even though it was now dark. There was no way I was going to be able to sleep outside. From every direction I could hear the various noises of deadly creatures of the night. It was like a symphony of death.

I kept along the coast and moved slowly. With no armor and no weapon I knew how exposed I was. Morrowind is not a land for the faint of heart, and especially not a land to wander without a weapon and without armor.

Early in the night I found a boarded up door to an old cave. I briefly considered going inside. If nothing else, then just to get away from the noises of the night. But I had no idea what was behind that door. I was just as well off outside where I could see a bit better and make progress toward civilization.

Shortly after that, while walking very slowly in the dark, I spotted a creature running towards me. It took me a second to realize it was an imp! A daedric monster! I was barely in any condition to deal with mud crabs, much less something like this. So once again I ran, and once again I lost my footing and found myself underwater. This time I managed to get out before the jaws of any slaughterfish found me.

Now I'm sitting on a bank resting, and drying, and as the faintest light of dawn approaches I can see the outline of strange shapes. The odd angles and curves of a daedric shrine. I was lucky to have run into that and survived.

As much as I would like to sit here and wait for the full glory of daylight, I feel very uncomfortable with the sight of the ruin so close. I'm moving on.

BIGwooly

Loredas Mid-Morning / Sanctus Shrine

Finally! A landmark. And for once, something living that doesn't want to eat me.

Just a bit ago I came across a tiny shack, and out front I noticed a small garden and a shrine. I'm not the religious type so I bypassed the shrine and entered the shack. The monk inside was pleasant and we had a good conversation on the shrine and on Morrowind in general. He urged me to avoid the daedric ruins, which I do plan to do.

Thankfully my tattered old map of Morrowind has the Sanctus Shrine marked on it. It is far to the north in sea of rocks. Far to my south is mainland Vvardenfell, and the Ashlands. To my east is the large island where Dagon Fel is located.

As much as I want to reach the mainland, I think Dagon Fel is my best bet. If I headed south there is a lot of water to cross, and I'm certain it's overrun with slaughterfish. I'd never make it. If I head east I only have to cross a small expanse of water to reach the larger island. In fact, I think I already crossed it in the night by accident. So I'll be testing my blood against the fish again today.

Dagon Fel is still a lengthy hike even if I make it back across the water. But there is a port in Dagon Fel, and a shop. I don't have much gold left, but maybe I can at least get some shoes for my poor feet. I thought my iron boots were uncomfortable ...

BIGwooly

Loredas Evening / Sanctus Shrine

I spent the day examining the possible routes across the water. I was able to get up fairly high and have a clear view into the water. The distance is short enough that slaughterfish might not come into play. I only saw a few of them. The real trouble is that the opposing bank is very steep all around. I'm now realizing this must have been one of the places where I slipped into the water.

Even if the distance is short and there aren't many slaughterfish around, if I can't get back out of the water then that will be a major problem. It is steep on my side as well, so I could potentially find myself in the water with no way out on either side.

While I pondered my fate a cliff racer soared overhead from the other island and interrupted my thoughts. By the time I had killed it and recovered from the fight it was late, and I don't intend on crossing over now only to be wandering around in the night. I'll sleep at the shrine and cross in the morning.

BIGwooly

Sundas Night / Dagon Fel

I'm beat. I spent an entire day fleeing from and fighting beasts in the air, on land and in the sea. I had to use a health potion and my only magicka potion, just to stay alive. And on top of everything I was lost constantly, and running out of patience.

And the beetles. The beetles who are resistant to my magic. I have no way to kill them. I can't exactly pound my way through their shells with my bare fists. Yet they pursue me everywhere. And so I do everything I can to lose them in the rocks, or among the giant mushrooms. And just as I do, a cliff racer or a rat attacks me.

Why did I come back to Morrowind? Better to freeze my nose off in Skyrim with idiot nords perhaps.

And what an end to my night. Being chased over hills and through canyons by another infernal beetle, and while doing my best to flee a pair of cliff racers spot me and both come to finish me off. I don't have another magicka potion, and I don't know that I have enough magicka to kill them. Not to mention this beetle is still on my heels.

But I have to do something. The racers are fast and I can't outrun them. I'm being struck and with each strike they stagger me and the beetle gets closer. So I turn and face them and shuffle my feet backwards while sending flame spells up at them. This eventually kills one of them, and then with my last remaining magicka I manage to kill the second. But the beetle has caught up with me and I have to turn and run.

A minute later I see a sight that fills me with joy. Civilization. A town. Dag Fel.

As I run into town a city guard runs out and puts an end to the beetle. A fitting end to a day I nearly didn't survive.

Chuck_

I signed up just to say how much I have been enjoying both this journal and Hrisskar. You have given me an entirely new outlook on Skyrim and are making me want to do another play through, though I doubt I could handle something as intense as you have gone through.

makoman8

Talk about suspense....If you pop in Morrowind and keep going from that game...
Ha! Very awesome, BIGwooly! Did you do anything to try and get skills/spells back to where they were in Skyrim, or are you just starting at level 1 and ignoring the lost abilities?

BIGwooly

Ha! Very awesome, BIGwooly! Did you do anything to try and get skills/spells back to where they were in Skyrim, or are you just starting at level 1 and ignoring the lost abilities?

No, I definitely didn't start at level 1. My Skyrim character was level 7, so I played the character to level 7 and applied attributes to make the characters as similar as possible. Magic is a lot less effective in Morrowind, especially without magicka regen, so that has been one of the biggest challenges so far for this character build.