Immortal Words - Saurano Direnni

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BIGwooly

Are all barrels/chests inside buildings safe to store things in? I am always afraid they will disappear unless it is your house or your spouse's house.

The only containers that are safe are those in homes you own as far as I know. BUT .. if you access the container every day or ever couple of days that seems to keep it from resetting. Hope that helps.

BIGwooly

Middas Afternoon / Unknown Cave

I'm making progress. Slowly. Two more days of fighting and two new samples of vampire ash are my reward. I'm trying not to think about how I still need fifteen more.

Today was rough. I ventured further into the cave and found another large room. I didn't have much time to take it in as a thrall spotted me and gave chase. He wielded a large two-handed weapon, and rushed into the tunnel after me as I backpedaled and engulfed him in flame. He managed to land one strike on me before he fell, but it was a solid hit and hurt me badly.

There was no time to recover, though. As the thrall's body hit the floor smoking and smoldering a vampire replaced it. I doused it in flame as the vile abomination used it's magic against me. I kept the flame on it, hoping it would fall quickly. But it didn't, and the vampiress struck me with a sword and left me feeling faint.

I broke my attack and fumbled for a health potion. I was in serious trouble. The vampire had drained all but the last glimmer of health from my body. My fingers felt like they were tied together, but somehow I managed to find the potion and extend my life for a brief moment. I knew I was done. I had three more potions but it wasn't smart to rely on them at this point. It was better to flee. And that's what I did.

There's no shame in retreat if it's for the right reason. Many brave men and women have fallen because they refused to flee. I prefer to stay alive than die for some fleeting moment of honor.

As it happened, I was able to escape. I ran the length of most of the cave before I stopped to catch my breath. I could feel the vampire's evil inside me still, and knew I was infected. I quickly downed another potion, this one to cure the disease. I felt much better after that. There is nothing more sickening than that feeling of the vampire inside you.

Once I had recovered I headed back into the cave. I had a suspicion that the vampire had perished as I fled. I recalled hearing a great cry of pain as I ran away with my back to her. Still, I couldn't be sure, and needed to be very careful. I only had one curing potion left.

But there she was. Just a fledgling but she nearly took my life. Well, I can't give her all the credit. Her thrall gave me quite a wound to start things off.

Either way, I have five samples of ash now. I'm headed back to the village to sell a garnet and a pair of boots. I'll need to purchase another curing potion as well. It's not good to venture into a vampire's lair with only one. Then again, it's not really good to venture into a vampire's lair to start with.

BIGwooly

Turdas Afternoon / Village of Riverwood

Back into the cave this morning. I entered the large room and found another vampire. She raised a dead body to fight against me, which I was able to put down with fire.

The vampire refused to come up and fight me. No doubt she was trying to lure me down into a trap of some kind. But I didn't play along. Instead, I circled from above and found an angle where my flame could reach her. It was my easiest vampire slaying to date.

I collected her ash, as well as her valuable robes and two potions on a desk behind her. Health potions. I'm sure those will come in handy.

I wasn't able to carry any more so I decided to call it a day and come back tomorrow. Slow and steady wins the race they say. No need to rush and get myself killed. If I can return to Morrowind with twenty samples of ash it will do a lot for my name. It might not quite get me the title of legendary vampire hunter, but it will certainly get me more gold for my next assignment.

You should always be careful with expectations. I expected a quiet and quick trip back to Riverwood. It didn't happen. Instead, I came across a bandit with a bow who was taking cover behind a fallen log. His aim was away from me, so at first I thought perhaps he was a local hunter. But as I approached him he turned and drew his dagger.

I readied my axe and my flame, but didn't attack yet. It was possible that I had startled the man and he was just preparing a defense. But he backed away and then drew his bow again. I felt uncomfortable with it aimed at me, and nearly loosed fire on him for that. But I had too much faith. I thought it was still a defensive effort. An arrow piercing my chestplate ruined that notion.

The bandit readied another arrow and I lit him ablaze. He didn't last long enough to loose his second shot. And as he fell I noticed a scuffle to my left. A second bandit was there, but he was already involved in a fight. Ironically he was in a fight with a mage, who was using a flame spell as well.

I waited a moment to see who would prevail, and when I saw it was the mage I wasted no time in delivering my attack. It's possible the mage was an innocent and a victim of the bandits, but I had already relied too much on faith once before. I wasn't doing it again.

We exchanged flame until the mage lost the ability and drew a steel dagger. I backed up and made sure my wounds weren't too severe, and decided to try and finish the fight without the aid of a potion. The mage charged and I resumed my flame attack until he succumbed. He only managed to land a single strike against my armor.

Now I've arrived in Riverwood and had a bit to eat. I've sold the mage's robes and the vampire's robes, and there's a room with a bed with my name on it. I think a day as good as this one deserves a bit of sleeping in.

BIGwooly

Fredas Afternoon / Village of Riverwood

A bit of a waste of a day. I woke up late. No surprise. Then left for the cave and hiked all the way there before I realized I had forgotten to purchase food for the day. Sometimes I'm such a dolt. And I don't even drink.

I decided to explore a bit more of the cave since I had already walked all the way there. I found a side room with a locked chest. No amount of pounding would break the lock. Still, there were some valuable potions on a shelf so I took those.

As I left the room I realized I had forgotten something else. Yesterday, when I killed the vampire I forgot to remove her head. It's practically the only reason I carry an axe. It's very important to remove a vampire's head once they've fallen. Funny, I used to make all symbolic with doing it, but these days I just lop the thing off.

A bit further in the cave I burned up a small spider, and then another vampire thrall that I found wandering around. I would have continued but my stomach was growling. When I had arrived at the cave a few hours earlier I searched every barrel I could find and managed to scrounge up some tomatoes and potatoes. But they had long since left my stomach and I was ready for a proper meal.

I left, but not before shifting around my inventory a bit. I had found another room with a chest. This one was unlocked. Inside was some gold, a jewel and a nice set of enchanted hide armor. I couldn't carry the armor, though. It was too heavy. So I decided to take a chance. I left a good portion of my flasks behind in the chest and took the armor with me. I'm certain it's worth at least a hundred and fifty septims.

On the way back, between Helgen and Riverwood, I was attacked by bandits once again. What was becoming a tiresome hike is now becoming a bit dangerous as well. There were only two bandits, though, and although they landed a few strikes I was able to prevail and tend to my wounds after.

One of the bandits had a very nice necklace. It was enchanted with magic, to give the one wearing it enhanced magicka. I liked it, a lot, but I could never part with my family necklace. Still, it was obviously worth a decent bit of coin, so I left behind a stamina potion and took the necklace with me.

Now I've sold it and the armor and I have just over a thousand in gold. That feels pretty good. Still .. not as good as the food in my stomach.

BIGwooly

Loredas Afternoon / Village of Riverwood

Forgot food again. I'm such a dolt. I was halfway to the cave this time before I remembered. No point in going back. Maybe a stomach in pain will help me remember next time.

Food became the least of my worries today.

I pushed even farther into the cave today, empty stomach and all. And while walking up a narrow passage that led to what appeared to be another open room, I spotted a female vampire. I froze in place but it was too late. She had already heard my last step hit the ground.

She drew her sword and I sent fire to meet her. I never take a vampire lightly. They are all deadly dangerous. But I do take it much more seriously when I encounter a male vampire. These are master vampires. Leaders of clans. And they are infinitely more dangerous than all others.

So as the vampiress ran down the passage toward me, and a male vampire appeared behind her, I knew it was time to leave. I ran as fast as I could, and used several stamina potions to keep me going.

Even so, the female vampire was able to keep up with me. I kept moving backwards while hitting her with a powerful flame spell. She fell, but another female vampire appeared behind her. I quickly took a health potion from my satchel and drank it down. It helped only a little.

Luckily the vampire had to come up a set of stairs to reach me, and I was able to flame her the entire way up. By the time she reached the top and turned towards me, she was finished.

I waited patiently to see if the male would appear. He didn't. So I took the heads of the two vampires and took their ash and robes as well. Then it was back to Riverwood to figure out my next move. I have eight samples of ash, and would like to get my hands on more, but I don't generally get involved with vampire masters. My employer would suggest otherwise I'm sure.

BIGwooly

Sundas Morning / Village of Riverwood

Came up with a plan while laying in bed last night. I'm not fond of hiring swords to help me out with things. It's not the parting with gold, although I'm not fond of that either. It's the idea that a hired sword is unpredictable. They can just as easily foul up a fight as they can be a benefit.

But a vampire master is just simply not a foe I want to approach on my own. I have limited experience with them, but I am well aware of their strength. The two times I've encountered them I was others, and even with several of us the fight was a challenge.

So I laid in bed last night trying to come up with a plan. And then I remembered the elf. The silly elf with the silly infatuation and the silly letter. He hadn't just given me gold to deliver the letter to his sweetheart. He had offered to help me if I ever needed it.

Well. I need it.

Now I could be wrong but I don't have much confidence in the elf's ability to fight. He seems to just wander the village all day and chop wood from time to time. His manner strikes me as one that has seen little or no actual combat. Still, you never know. I've met a few people in my life that were stone killers underneath a soft exterior. I was that way at one time. Not anymore.

BIGwooly

Sundas Midday / Unknown Cave

Well, this is the moment of truth. We're about to head into the cave, and I'm about to find out if this elf has any fight in him or not. I haven't told him what we're up against. I thought it best to leave that to his own discovery. I mostly intend on using the elf as a distraction, which means I need him to at least show up to the fight. I don't know many men that would willingly stand by me to face a master vampire.

In looking this elf over once more I don't think he'll ever see the outside of this cave again. I feel a bit bad about that given the letter and the girl. But then again, you shouldn't go around offering your services if you aren't up to it. And this elf doesn't appear up to it. He's not even wearing any armor.

I think his usefulness as a distraction is going to be short-lived ... so to speak.

BIGwooly

Sundas Evening / Village of Riverwood

Sheer luck. Absolute sheer luck. Anyone else would be claiming divine intervention. But no, it was just sheer luck.

We entered the main room together, the elf and I. In just a few moments he would be dead. I was sure of it. But I didn't force him to come. His blood would not be on me. No more than my blood would be on my employer if this master vampire killed me as well.

We made our way into the room very, very slowly. Every step I took it seemed like my legs grew stiffer. My entire body wanted nothing to do with this place. Aside from the master vampire, there was a large statue in the room. From what I could tell it was a shrine to a daedra. My elven companion took note of it as well.

Right about then the vampire master heard us. I rushed forward and to the right to a small thatched wall. I was hoping to get some flame on him before he could make it up to us. Any amount of weakening would be a good thing.

The master vampire paused briefly as my fire rained down him. He raised up the body of a slain victim to fight us. I hadn't counted on that. The elf had split off to the left, as I hoped he would. This would draw the vampire to him like fish to bait. And while the vampire was busy killing him I could burn the foul monster and hopefully kill him.

But this didn't go according to plan. The vampire master came after me instead, while the raised undead went after the elf. For the briefest of moments I felt panic in my throat. I had never taken on a vampire master on my own. I didn't really think I had it in me. I'm experienced, but not that experienced.

And this is where sheer luck intervened and probably saved my life. The vampire master, wise and skilled and powerful .. and likely hundreds upon hundreds of years old ... managed to get himself stuck on the thatched fencing as he tried to step up a ledge. I kept the flame on him. And I'm sure this hindered his ability to see how to get himself .. unstuck.

He must have been stuck there for nearly a minute. At least it seemed that way. And to my complete and utter shock he died right there, stuck in a fence. A master vampire, undone by some intertwined pieces of wood. And the elf survived.

This sure is one crazy world we live in.

Wildroses

Poor Master Vampire. Imagine him turning up at vampire-Sovngarde and having to say why he died. "I got caught on a fence trying to kill a vampire hunter and burned to death while I was trying to untangle myself."
But at least Ariana survived. Or are you hoping she dies before she finds 20 vampire dust? What are you going to do if she doesn't die before getting all 20? How are you going to keep her in Skyrim and stop her leaving?

BIGwooly

Definitely not hoping she dies. I want each of my characters to survive. As for what happens if she collects 20 samples ... well, consider this. Ariana only came to Skyrim because of the Lloran sisters and knowing that they would lead her to more vampires. Ariana didn't go to Skyrim specifically to collect all 20 samples there. d;-)

BIGwooly

Morndas Morning / City of Whiterun

A new week brings new things. For starters, I purchased a nice enchanted iron axe and sold my steel axe. This new axe carries the power of the sky with it. I look forward to electrocuting the next vampire master I encounter.

This purchase did reduce my coinpurse from nearly thirteen hundred gold to under two hundred coins. It was a risky decision perhaps, but an enchanted weapon can be the advantage that saves your life sometimes. Besides, it was a full pound lighter than my steel axe. That means I'll be able to carry two additional potions if I like. That alone is worthwhile.

The new week also brings a new direction. I'm leaving Skyrim. With the Lloran sisters dead, and the Avani dead as well, I have no new leads for vampires here. The last thing I will do is wander this oppressive land looking for vampires randomly. At least in Morrowind I have contacts that can provide me with leads.

So the plan is to head to Windhelm today and secure a charter on a boat to Khuul or Gnaar Mok. Whichever place I can get to. I have a contact in Gnaar Mok, so hopefully I can find a boat headed that far. Hopefully I can find a boat leaving soon as well. It took me two weeks to land a ride from Sadrith Mora to Gnaar Mok on my way here, and another week to find a captain making the trip from Gnaar Mok to Windhelm.

I'm guessing the cost will be around fifty to perhaps a hundred septims. If things don't work out right I may have to find some work to keep a roof over my head until a boat becomes available.

Mother never said this life would be an easy one.

BIGwooly

Morndas Evening / City of Whiterun

Well this is a new feeling. I have one gold septim to my name. One.

Today's plan took an abrupt turn when I walked out of the Whiterun city gates and spotted the khajiit caravan. I knew I had a long day ahead of me. The trip from Whiterun to Windhelm isn't just a long one. From my limited experience, it's a dangerous one as well. But despite having a long journey ahead I just had to stop and see what the cats were selling. Khajiit always seem to have the best things for sale.

And sure enough one particular item caught my attention. Now if I hadn't just dropped a thousands coins on a new axe this wouldn't be so ironic. But I did. Just last night. Yet right there before my eyes was the very axe I had been seeking for a long time. An axe enchanted with flame magic. Perfect for a vampire hunter such as myself. It was old and iron, but that didn't matter. It would burn it's victims, and that's all I cared about.

The trouble was, the khajiit wanted no less than a thousand and fifty coins for it. I had less than two hundred. I can't express the frustration of having just purchased a new axe only to find the one I really wanted the very next morning ... and because of that purchase not being able to afford the new find. Maddening it was.

But I have a stubborn mind, as many have told me. And I couldn't just walk away from the weapon. I had to have it.

I went through my inventory to determine what I could sell, but there wasn't much. A few stamina potions perhaps. My gauntlets maybe. But in the end I really needed all of it. Even if I sold a few items I still wouldn't be breaking two hundred coins. There had to be another solution.

And then it hit me. On the way out this morning I chatted up the innkeep. I don't usually do this, but I thought maybe I would get lucky and come across some information on vampires. The conversation came up empty, though, and I left immediately after. But there was one thing she had mentioned that now seemed relevant. She had offered me work.

At the time I had no interest in it. My heart was set on getting back to the warmth of Morrowind. But now I was very interested. So I headed back into the city and sought the innkeep at The Bannered Mare. Sure enough she had a contract for some bandits, and I quickly took it. It was a long shot, but perhaps I could carry out the contract, sell some bandit goods, collect the bounty, and then purchase the axe. The only trick was doing it in time. Khajiit caravans move like leaves in the wind. There was every possibility that I would go to this effort and find the caravan had left and taken the axe with them. But I had to try.

Luckily I made good time and found the bandit hideout without trouble. Inside it was very dark, and I proceeded a bit too quickly given the fondness of bandits for traps. Fortunately I didn't discover a trap the hard way. Just a dog.

The dog came out of nowhere and attacked me. And as it did I hear a voice in the darkness ahead and felt an arrow glance off the iron protecting my shoulder. I took a step back and covered the area ahead of me in flames. The dog perished quickly, but I was having a hard time finding the archer. I stepped right and left as quickly as I could, trying to avoid the arrows I couldn't see coming. A few missed, and a few struck home.

Finally I managed to hit the unseen assailant with a burst of flame, and the outline of his body was traced in fire. I focused my efforts on the outline, and within a short time had killed the woman.

I continued into the hideout, admittedly .. quite carelessly. I could hear another bandit ahead and couldn't even see the ground in front of me. I was motivated by the thought of the khajiit leaving with my axe, and foolishly pushed forward without the proper care for traps.

Luckily I didn't trigger any, and instead found myself face to face with a large brute of a man and his equally-sized warhammer. I scrambled backwards and lit him on fire. He kept the chase, and despite the burning flames that licked every inch of his body, he managed to hit me with the massive weapon. I struck back with my lightning axe, and then resumed my flame attack, all while struggling to make my way backwards through the tight passage.

The man finally fell but I heard another coming behind him. My body was already hurting quite a lot from the hammer strike, and now I felt real fear. I had rushed into this far too quickly and with no care or planning. And now I was hurting and running low on magicka, and a very capable-looking fighter appeared in the passage before me.

I turned and ran, but the passage was dark and cramped. I found myself running into it's walls and getting disoriented. My pursuer no doubt knew the passage like the back of her hand, and I was going to become easy prey if I kept my back to her.

Just as the last second I found my way out of the passage and into the previous room. It wasn't lit well at all. Just a small latern on a table and another on a shelf a ways away. But at least I had some room to maneuver now.

I turned and put flame on my enemy as she shrieked and bore down on me with her sword. She struck me and I was surprised and pained to find myself light on fire. Apparently her sword was enchanted with flame. I struck back with lightning, and then got lucky and inadvertently avoided her following swing. I lit her with my flame spell again and backed up into another passage, then took a moment to take a health potion to keep from passing out.

She collected herself and came after me as I downed a second health potion. Then we dueled with flame again. Her with her sword and me with my magic. I felt faint again and backed away. I managed to get another health potion down .. my last.

She came at me with fury in her eyes, lit within an old iron helm by the flame streaming from my fingers. Again she struck me with her sword, and I realized this was it. This was how I was going to die. My mother always said I would die doing something foolish. How could she have known?

But I didn't die. In the last instant, before the final blow could strike me, my flame weakened the bandit just enough. She fell to her knees, dizzy from the pain. I didn't waste a second, and struck her down with my axe.

I was weak from pain, weak from fighting, weak from the fear of nearly dying .. but still I knew what I had to do. All of this would be for nothing if I didn't get back and get that axe.

So I was foolish yet again, and removed my iron armor and my steel gauntlets. I left them behind so I could carry more back to the caravan. But it wasn't enough. I only managed to about five hundred septims. I still need another six hundred. So I made another trip. And another.

On my last trip I searched the hideout for something else to sell. I was still miserably short of coin and had sold everything I could find. But there was a chest in the main room I hadn't seen. It was hidden by the darkness. As fate would have it this one was unlocked, unlike the other I had found in another room. And as fate would have it the chest contained two very nice enchanted items. A necklace and a pair of boots.

One last trip back to the caravan and I nearly had enough. I was still exactly twenty-six coins short, though. I went back through my inventory to see what I could sell. I needed all of it, but I couldn't walk away now. I had to purchase this axe now or the whole day would be a loss. So I broke down and sold one of my two curing potions. I convinced the kahjiit to give me twenty-seven septims for it. The allowed me to purchase the axe, and left me with one coin in my pocket.

Now I just have to walk back to the hideout in the dark with no armor and hope I'm not jumped by a pack of wolves. Or worse.

BIGwooly

Tirdas Morning / Bandit Hideout

I spent the night in the hideout last night. There was a nice battleaxe in the chest I found and I wanted to take that and my old axe back to Whiterun to sell them. But it made no sense to wander back in the dark last night when the shops would be closed anyways. Not to mention wandering around in the dark without your armor is pretty brainless.

But first thing this morning I headed to Whiterun and made my sales, and I've just returned to collect my iron armor. It sure feels good to have it on again. Call me a fool for yesterday's events, but I have all my armor and the perfect axe for hunting vampires now. Sometimes you just have to be a fool to accomplish something.

There was a scrap of paper in the chest I found yesterday. It appears to be a map indicating the location of another chest, high on a mountain. Given my meager supply of gold I think I'll search for this chest before heading to Windhelm. There's no point in showing up to charter a boat if you have no gold for the captain.

BIGwooly

Middas Midday / City of Whiterun

I overslept. Not exactly an uncommon thing for me, but even by my standards waking up at noon is a bit .. late.

Regardless, I'll be on my way to Windhelm today. The treasure map note turned out to be a dead end. Empty chest. I suppose the bandits had set it up as a backup storage point for mugging peasants on the road between Whiterun and Riverwood. They just hand't managed to steal anything for it yet. I suppose I should feel good about that but I don't. I could have done without the hike in the rain yesterday afternoon.

At least the jarl's aide made good on the contract. An extra hundred septims for my efforts the other day. That puts me just over three hundred coins. Although I'm down to less than two hundred fifty as of this morning. The cost of food and and a roof over my head.

Doesn't matter. As long as I make the trip to Windhelm without issue I'll have enough gold to get my boat, even if I have to wait a few days for the opportunity. I hope it goes smoothly. Windhelm is far too cold for my blood. The nords can have it all to themselves.