Immortal Words - Saurano Direnni

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BIGwooly

Middas Evening / Old Sawmill

What are the odds? I'm spending the night at the very place where Velyna Lloran was trying to break into when the drunkards spotted her. Well, I'm not quite spending the night. The woman who runs the mill wasn't comfortable with me sleeping here overnight. But she was understanding of my predicament and has allowed me to stay inside her home overnight. We just won't be sleeping. She's not much for conversation either. So I guess we won't be talking. She didn't even offer me any food.

Still she's letting me stay until dawn, which is good. I was headed down the road past her place .. in the dark .. in fact, just as dark as the night I killed the Lloran sister. But the sky clung to just enough light to allow me to see the profile of a large beast on the road ahead. I don't know if it was a bear or a sabre cat or a troll. Whatever it was, it was large, and I wasn't going to try and find my way around it in the dark.

So I'll sit here and stare at the fireplace tonight instead. Come first light I'll finish the trek to Windhelm, hopefully without having to tangle with another of Skyrim's horrible creatures.

BIGwooly

Turdas Morning / City of Windhelm

I'm starving.

I left at first light this morning. Gladly. I appreciated that the woman at the mill gave me a place to stay, but it's incredibly awkward to sit with someone in their house overnight and not have any conversation. I thought about mentioning how I killed the vampire that surely would have killed her only so many nights ago. But it seemed in poor taste to bring it up. Especially in the dead of night. No sense making the awkwardness even more so.

I left as dawn broke. Down the road I found the beast still poking around on the road. I suspect it's a good place for it to hunt. I was only to lucky to have spotted it last night before it spotted me.

It wasn't a bear or a troll, but it was a sabre cat. Just as deadly as the other two as far as I know. Morrowind doesn't have bears or sabre cats. All the more reason to love that land. I know people complain about the cliff racers and the poor attitudes of the dark elves, but it beats running into giant bears and cats.

I spent an hour or so climbing up the mountain to get around the sabre cat. Then killed a wolf just down the road from there. From there it was clear all the way to Windhelm. Not too bad. I expected a full day trip and I got a bit more than that, and killed a good half dozen wolves and a crazy argonian assassin on the way.

I'm grabbing a bite at the inn and securing a room for later. I have to eat before I take a taste of my own clothes. I need some sleep too, but I want to check down at the docks first for a boat. With any luck there will be one leaving today or tomorrow with the tides.

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
I'm grabbing a bite at the inn and securing a room for later. I have to eat before I take a taste of my own clothes. I need some sleep too, but I want to check down at the docks first for a boat. With any luck there will be one leaving today or tomorrow with the tides.

Wait. If she's returning to Morrowind, what does that mean for the journal?

BIGwooly

Turdas Evening / City of Windhelm

I feel better after a few hours of sleep. I must have been pretty tired to sleep right through the bard's awful set of songs. I'm not feeling as good about my travel situation, though.

Before I hit the mattress I took a stroll down to the docks. I found a ship and a captain but he wasn't interested in taking gold for a fare. It seems he's having some trouble with a former sailor of his, who ran off and started a gang with some other sailors. The captain wants him taught a lesson, which pretty much means one thing. He has to die.

This isn't normally my thing, but I need to get back to Morrowind, and this captain was my ticket. So in lieu of the year's salary he has agreed to transport me to Gnaar Mok in the event I teach his form lesson a lesson.

Easy enough. I hope.

BIGwooly

This isn't normally my thing, but I need to get back to Morrowind, and this captain was my ticket. So in lieu of the year's salary he has agreed to transport me to Gnaar Mok in the event I teach his form lesson a lesson.

And this is why I love these games. I literally walked my character down to the dock with no idea how I was going to determine or negotiate a seat on a ship. And what do you know, the game provided one. Amazing.

Wildroses

Maybe as Ariana leaves Skyrim she'll be able to throw away the journal, or there will be some mystical binding on the journal which makes it stay in Skyrim. I wouldn't mind Ariana going back to Morrowind and leaving the journal to be picked up by some random mook. It would mean Ariana lives.

BIGwooly

Fredas Night / Old Sawmill

I can honestly say I never expected to be here again. I'm sitting in a shack, writing in a book .. a book who's previous owner sat in this very shack and wrote in this very book ... the very night that I killed her. It's enough to make one find religion.

I got a late start this morning. Not really surprised. I would have slept longer but for the damned bard. Some beleaguered traveler is going to slit that bard's throat one day. Mark my words.

Around mid-afternoon I found the hideout of this gang of thugs, after hiking through mountains to avoid the sabre cat of course. It would be nice if the local guard went out once in a while to clear the roads. I guess they're needed back in town to push around the dark elves, though.

The cave where the gang has holed up is huge. I was expecting a small cave with a handful unskilled and unkempt rogues. But right near the entrance I immediately spotted a pair of the gang. Not only were they well-equipped .. there were targets set up for archery practice. My guard raised.

As with most caves, it was very dark and seeing the ground in front of me was nearly impossible. Well, unless I wanted to light up my path with flame. But doing that would also alert my enemies before I was ready. I was certain there were traps in this place. Any thugs that take the time to practice their combat skills will also take the time to rig traps for the unsuspecting. I was suspecting. I just couldn't see a damn thing.

But there was a stream to the side of the path so I stepped into it. As long as I moved slow and didn't splash a lot I figured I could get close and avoid any traps on the unlit path.

I was still about thirty or forty paces away when they caught wind of me. No matter. I readied my flame and my axe and went to work. One of the thugs charged me with a sword while the other hung back to provide cover with his bow. A sound strategy for certain situations, but not this one. They would have been much better off charging me together with blades drawn.

I killed the swordsman and then took down the archer. I found a pair of potions on a barrel nearby, both of which could come in handy down the road. I'll keep them at the top of my satchel.

Further into the cave I found an enormous room. It had a natural pillar of sorts in the middle, with water all around. A rock bridge led to the pillar, where I could see two more men on patrol. High above I could see various man-made wooden bridges and platforms, with more men patrolling. This wasn't going to be easy. Especially since it was still infernally dark. With every step I took I could feel a bear trap closing over my leg. It was agonizing to make any progress.

I was halfway across the rock bridge when one of the men ahead of me spotted me. Another archer and swordsman combination. If anything at least these fellows were showing some predictability. I can take advantage of that.

Except the swordsman who charged me actually had very large hammer in his hands, not a sword. I had to be careful not to panic and fall from the rock bridge. I had no idea what was in the water below. Not that it mattered much. If I fell in wearing my iron armor I'd drown for sure. So I kept my footing solid and cast my flame across the brute. When he reached me and struck me I struck back, and thankfully the flame spell had gravely injured him. My attack split his face open like an over-ripe gourd.

I was fairly certain that the path ahead was clear, even if I couldn't see it. The brute with the hammer had just run up it to meet me. He would have set off any traps hopefully. So I wasted no time in running down the bridge and put flame on the archer. He was above me on a platform, so I used it to my advantage, taking cover underneath it periodically. And soon enough he was dead.

Next to his body I found a book on swordplay. Quite interesting and full of useful information. Although I probably should have picked a better time and place to thumb through it. As I finished the book I heard footsteps behind me and turned to see another large brute with a similarly large hammer just ten paces away and closing.

I shot a single burst of flame and then wisely vaulted over the edge of the platform. I landed below and quickly turned to my attacker. He was heading back off the platform, and I took the opportunity to drench him in fire the entire way. By the time he reached me he didn't have the strength to lift his weapon, and fell dead at my feet.

I caught my breath and gathered my senses, taking a moment to remove the few coins from each of their bodies. Then I carefully crossed over another rock bridge, assuming it was also clear since that is where the last assailant had to have come from.

But as I reached the other side my heart sank. Nothing ahead but a very dim passage that led upward. And I still couldn't see a thing. I needed a torch. Well, I've needed one for a while now. I just keep forgetting to purchase one.

I had no choice but to use my flame spell to light up the path in front of me. It was so dark, though, that I could only see a few paces in front of my boots, so my progress was very slow. I also had to be careful not to expend too much magicka at once. It wouldn't do well for me to get caught with my magicka extinguished.

It had been less than a minute, and I had gone maybe ten paces, when suddenly there was a loud rumbled and the ground under my very feet shook with anger. I froze, in near complete darkness. I had no idea what had just happened and what it meant for me. My imagination conjured up images of some ancient beast bursting forth from the cave to devour me.

Instead, in the faint light of the passage ahead, I saw a man. Several men. All running towards me. To kill me. Not an ancient beast, but certainly trouble.

The next few moments are still a bit of a blur for me. I remember using my flame spell, and feeling the dull pain of swords crashing against my armor. I remember striking back with my axe and watching one man fall to the darkness at my feet, and then the other. And the archer, standing about ten or fifteen paces away. I burned him alive, without mercy.

It was after this intense minute of combat that I discovered the source of the noise. A trap. By sheer chance my flame that I was using to light my way had burned through a rope laid across the floor. This rope had been connected to a wagon contraption loaded with heavy boulders. Rocks large enough to have crushed me instantly had I not inadvertently set off the trap.

So I decided it was time to leave the cave and return to Windhelm. It was time to buy a torch. My mother always use to shake her head at me over things like this. "Child," she used to say, "why do you insist on doing things the hard way?" At least I'm consistent, mother.

When I stepped from the cave I realized it was later than I thought. It was late evening, and I was going to be hard-pressed to make it back to Windhelm before dark. I knew that sabre cat was probably somewhere on the road as well. I had seen it earlier today.

I made the best time I could. With the light fading I tried to sprint here and there in small sections. I couldn't risk an all-out sprint and end up with my lungs burning and empty. I needed to be prepared for anything I might come across.

Sure enough, as I approached the old sawmill on the river I heard a rustle in the brush to my right. The light was nearly gone but I saw the flash of the thief's two blades as he stepped onto the road and struck at me. Our fight lasted for a while. The thief was smart. Every time I had him close to death he would disappear into the bushes and trees, and then reappear when he had recovered somewhat. In the end I was able to finish him with a pair of quick strikes. I'm liking this new axe. A lot.

And this is where I found myself in the middle of the night. Standing on the road next to a dead thief, just upstream from the old sawmill. The same mill where I had stayed a night before. There was no way I could impose and ask to stay again. It was awkward enough the first time around.

But then I remembered Velyna's words in this book. She had mentioned a shack at the mill. It was abandoned and had several beds available. If it was still in this condition I might have a place to stay for the night. There was no way I was walking all the way back to Windhelm in the dark. That much I knew for sure.

So I'm going to catch some sleep in this old shack. And hopefully no vampires will come knocking in the night.

BIGwooly

Loredas Midday / City of Windhelm

All the way back to inglorious Windhelm for a torch. And yet .. no one in Windhelm has a torch for sale. Unbelievable.

I suppose it's back to the cave. Maybe I'll figure something out on the way.

Neriad13

Premium Member
Around mid-afternoon I found the hideout of this gang of thugs, after hiking through mountains to avoid the sabre cat of course. It would be nice if the local guard went out once in a while to clear the roads. I guess they're needed back in town to push around the dark elves, though.

Haha, yes.

Wildroses

Fredas Night / Old Sawmill

I can honestly say I never expected to be here again. I'm sitting in a shack, writing in a book .. a book who's previous owner sat in this very shack and wrote in this very book ... the very night that I killed her. It's enough to make one find religion.

You nearly gave me a heart attack! I thought Ariana had died trying to get her passage back to Morrowind.

BIGwooly

Loredas Afternoon / Abandoned Fort

I just killed several bandits at an old fort. I spotted the fort off in the distance while doing my usual detour around the sabre cat on the road near the mill. I decided to check it out and see if I could maybe find an old torch there. So far all I've found are the three bandits who were lurking outside.

Odd though. Two of them had silver swords.

Makes me a bit nervous to poke my head inside the fort. Silver weapons are usually used against ghosts.

BIGwooly

Sundas Night / Unknown Cave

It's done. This cave was vast, and it took me most of the night to kill all of the brigands in here. Often they came at me two or three at a time. My flame spell saved me over and over. I can't imagine coming in here with only a sword. A good way to get yourself killed quick I bet.

It seems there was a mutiny within the gang. Either that or the leader just went crazy. I overheard some of the men talking about it, but couldn't quite make out the details. All I knew for sure is that the sailor I needed to kill was being held in some sort of a pit, and was likely by himself.

So I fought my way there, burning men alive and splitting heads open when necessary. I even came across one thug asleep on a bedroll, and I lit him up while he slept. I can't imagine what it would be like to wake up engulfed in flames. It makes me shudder.

In the end the leader was a minimal challenge. At first, I was at liberty to flame him in the pit where he was trapped. He had a lot of attitude and seemed intent on proving his strength to me. I happily allowed him to flex his muscle while I lit him on fire.

But eventually he got smart and kept his distance. So I had no choice but to open the cage door and set him free. But first I came up with a plan.

The leader held a large warhammer, and I knew that two blows from it would probably kill me. So I needed a plan that would let me finish this battle without getting caught up in a close-quarters fight. I decided to open the gate and then sprint over to path that would let me jump onto the top of one of the many cages in the room. From there I could hopefully keep the barbarian at a distance and burn him up.

It worked. Quite well in fact. He was dead within minutes.

And now I'm hanging out just inside the cave waiting for dawn to break. I've just spent the night fighting for hour upon hour. I won't be walking back to Windhelm in the dark.

BIGwooly

Sundas Morning / City of Windhelm

I just finished meeting with the ship's captain. He was happy to hear of my success, and even happier to see it. Gruesome as it was, bringing him the head of the former sailor was the only proof I could think to take with me. It satisfied the captain.

Our deal is set. The tide has already gone this morning, so we'll be waiting until tomorrow morning to set sail. Once we do it should only take two to three days to reach Gnaar Mok, depending on the currents, winds and weather. I'm looking forward to the warm, moist air of Vvardenfell.

I'm not looking forward to waking up early tomorrow, though.

AS88

Staff member
Ohh maan I'm curious!

BIGwooly

Morndas Midday / Open Water

I managed to get out of bed early this morning. Sometimes I surprise myself. I barely tasted my breakfast so I'm guessing my tongue was still asleep. Good for it.

The bitter-cold early morning air woke me up on my walk down to the docks. By the time I got there I was cold to the bone and I had frost on my armor. I don't know why people live here.

The captain and his mate were prepping the boat for our trip. They both seemed to like the early morning hour and the cold as well. These things are real mystery to me. Seems like laying in bed for a few more hours while the world warms up is a more appealing lifestyle.

It would bother me more except I'm leaving anyways. In a few days time I won't have to sleep in to let the world warm up. I'll have the heavy warm air of the Bitter Coast swamps to keep me warm at night. Of course, I'll still wake up late. I just don't see the point of getting out of bed before mid-morning. What is there to miss? The sunrise? I've seen sunrises. I'd rather sleep through them.

The weather seems to be holding out. We had to push through a heavy fog on the way down the river this morning, but once we reached the coast it opened up and the sun eventually burned through. It's quite breezy right now, and that's stirring up a good chop on the water. Not exactly a smooth sail, but manageable.

We took on two additional passengers right before we sailed. They approached the mate as he was tossing off the lines. It was a short discussion, and then they quickly jumped onboard. They must not be going far, as they didn't have but one small bag each. Probably headed to Morrowind as well.

I suppose there might be a few nords with brains after all.

Drewski

Relaxing on Revis Island, with Revis and Holmes :(
Still producing an addictive read Wooly !

I too am highly intrigued.............