Companions VS Thieves Guild VS College of Winterhold

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Who would win this war?

• Total voters

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Companions. Thieves Guild, though good people, don't have a leg to stand on here. And the College has some powerful folks, but the Companions are like, the best of the best.

Maybe I'm underestimating mages, but they seem to be felled by an ax rather easily.

Valyn

There is actually a video that holds all of the Guilds/factions fighting each other, and the College wins. And besides, the college has magic that renders the armor useless, and they also cast a flesh spell for a decent amount of protection. PLUS they can raise their fallen foes to fight for them.
Heres the link of the video:

KritikalPT

One thing everyone seems to be forgetting is the Thieves Guild's support. Sure, they steal, not kill, unless with a good enough reason for it. But remember that Maven is their biggest supporter. Sure, she probably doesn't give a damn about the Companions or the Mages Guild, but assuming she does, she does have the support of the Dark Brotherhood and the Thieves Guild can also go in and attack, and that's quite a powerful force right there. Plus, you'll never know when they strike, and when they do, well, dead bodies as far as the eye can see. If they do get caught however they'll die easily, either by the mages or by the Companions.

I will point out that the Companions don't have any Magic Resistance, and destruction ignores armor. So the fighter's suits would only slow them down. And again, they're outnumbered.

Aren Kodlac
Skor Mirabelle
Vilkas Faralda
Farkas Ninya
Aela Tolfdir
Ria Brelyana
Athis J'zargo
Torvar Orthorn
Collette, Arniel, Phinias, Drevis, Sergius, all of them full blown wizards. that's 13-8, or more than a 3-2 advantage with magic that goes right through their armor, the ability to summon reinforcements from Oblivion, Healing, and Range advantage on all but 1 of the Companions. That's to start, as you progress through the questlines, they lose Aren, Skor, Kodlac...

It's just not an even match. Not even close.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
Can't help but notice how all the mage supporters are conveniently forgetting that 85~90% of the mages in the college are students still LEARNING to control magic.

The only students are J'Zargo, Onmund, Brelyna, and Nirya (though she attends no lessons). 4 students out of 15 total = 26.66%, a far cry from 85-90%.

Teachers - Collette, Drevis, Faralda, Tolfdir, Sergius, Phinis.

ArchMage - Savos Aren
Master Wizard - Mirabelle

Others - Arniel Gane, Urag Gro-Shub, Enthir.

To really know how this would turn out, you would have to figure out the abilities of each member of the College. Are they all on equal footing? Do they possess equal strengths in every school? If you assume that they do, or at least the teachers and higher are Expert/Master proficiency in all schools, then hands down the College wins.

Taking only the 6 teachers plus Savos and Mirabelle, if they can all use Silent Casting + Muffle + Invisibility + Mass Paralysis, what hope does anyone have? All spells can be started while invisible, you only become visible once the spell is cast, too late for any opponent. What if they also have Twin Souls, adding an additional 16 combatants to the College? What if you factored in Master level Illusion spells like Mayhem? Or Expert level Illusion spells like Pacify?

The only hope the Companions would have is if the battle took place in a very confined space. Even then, crowd control skills can be spammed.

Not much any warrior can do as they lay powerless on the ground.

Others - Arniel Gane, Urag Gro-Shub, Enthir.
asrniel is a Researcher (and powerful Mage in his own right.) Urag is a librarian, I don't know if he can fight, or use magic, but he threatens to have you torn apart by "Angry Atronachs." I don't think he charges late fees. Enthir it the TG fense for Winterhold. I don't know what he actually does there, or is supposed to be doing when he's not working shady deals out of his room.

To really know how this would turn out, you would have to figure out the abilities of each member of the College. Are they all on equal footing? Do they possess equal strengths in every school? If you assume that they do, or at least the teachers and higher are Expert/Master proficiency in all schools, then hands down the College wins.

Taking only the 6 teachers plus Savos and Mirabelle, if they can all use Silent Casting + Muffle + Invisibility + Mass Paralysis, what hope does anyone have? All spells can be started while invisible, you only become visible once the spell is cast, too late for any opponent. What if they also have Twin Souls, adding an additional 16 combatants to the College? What if you factored in Master level Illusion spells like Mayhem? Or Expert level Illusion spells like Pacify?

I've seen most of them in action, and not just watching the tube above. None of them use anything even close to this OP combo. Drevis probably could, but whenever a Dragon shows up, he's gone. (I'm pretty sure he has both Quiet Casting, and Whirlwind Sprint!) I pretty much count him out of every fight, because he just doesn't. In other words, just not gonna happen.

Tolfdir uses mostly Falmes, and I think Stoneflesh, but I've seen him Ward, and drop a FA. Aren apparently favors an Iron battleaxe, don't ask me why. I've also seen him dual cast Ebonyflesh, which is pretty damned good protection as his assumed level. I bet he could stnd toe to toe with Vilkas, and at least let him know he'd been in a fight. He usually drops Frost Atronachs, I've seen him throw a Stormy, and he's gos a staff full of them. Faralda is a Desruction Mage, at least the equal of Festus Krex, those are Master Robes she's wearing. Leave her alone.

Mirabelle uses basic Destruction, (Flames, and Shock, usually) Somethingflesh, and Wards. Collette wanders around all night randomly casting wards Flesh Spells, turn undead, and other things. She's a cloud cukoo lander, I have no idea what she'd do. Ninya is a baby Faralda, for all I know, she's her jealous daughter, or kid sister. Expert. Arniel Gane is a badass, even after death. He could probably take on the Circle by himself in the right battlefield.

J'zargo is Destruction, ranging from Apprentice to beyond Master, depending on the Dragonborn's level. (He can reach 81, but only under specific situations, nearly nothing but destruction magic.) He also favors Heavy Armor. Brelyana is a pretty effective all around Adept. Surprisingly ballanced, and probably the best follower of the three. (Not to mention Fire resistance.) Orthorn is a mediocre mage, Alteration, and Destruction, frost mostly. I'd rate him Apprentice.

Will Olmen

The only students are J'Zargo, Onmund, Brelyna, and Nirya (though she attends no lessons). 4 students out of 15 total = 26.66%, a far cry from 85-90%.

This is limited thinking. You have to imagine that the world presented to us is not the ENTIRE world. If that were the case Skyrim is populated by, what, a couple hundred people? Come see Whiterun! The center of trade and the bread basket of Skyrim! The largest hold with well trained soldiers and relative safety! Meet our twenty-some odd citizens!

Think hard about that.

Your argument is that the ENTIRE college is put into place to pay ELEVEN people to TEACH only FOUR people. And in the event of a conflict between them and the Companions the Companions would NOT start reaching out and recruiting able bodied warriors that want to join up. Limited thinking provides limited and inaccurate results. Expand yourself.

nacman99

companions. most of you said that the mages could summon dremoras. let me break up to you, theirs only one conjurer in the college and hi doesnt no the spell. their are also useless npcs likethe restoration teacher.
plus that four of them are students. all the companions are skilled warriors and some are even werewolfs.

p.s: the thieves wouldnt even bother fight.

nacman99

companions. most of you said that the mages could summon dremoras. let me break up to you, theirs only one conjurer in the college and hi doesnt no the spell. their are also useless npcs likethe restoration teacher.
plus that four of them are students. all the companions are skilled warriors and some are even werewolfs.

p.s: the thieves wouldnt even bother fight.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
This is limited thinking. You have to imagine that the world presented to us is not the ENTIRE world.

Thought we were working with what we know.

The Thieves Guild is no doubt the odd man out of the three. As they would be no match in large open battles.

However I have to give the College the edge over the Companions. Magic can do what blades simply can not.

KritikalPT

Assuming that everyone would fight at their full potential without restrictions from the AI, I would say that the Archmage would probably be their biggest threat due to his knowledge of spells.
Initially he could drop Mayhem on the Companions, which would cause them to attack each other, and after a few are dead he could cast Dead Thrall.

ShadowGambit

Thought we were working with what we know.

You forget that most mage in Skyrim are or were part of the College. Calcelmo, Fallion, Farengar etc... may come to the college rescue as they still have tie with them.

I'm not sure there are many companions outside of the one in Whiterun though. Never see it mentioned.

Valyn

I will point out that the Companions don't have any Magic Resistance, and destruction ignores armor. So the fighter's suits would only slow them down. And again, they're outnumbered.

Aren Kodlac
Skor Mirabelle
Vilkas Faralda
Farkas Ninya
Aela Tolfdir
Ria Brelyana
Athis J'zargo
Torvar Orthorn
Collette, Arniel, Phinias, Drevis, Sergius, all of them full blown wizards. that's 13-8, or more than a 3-2 advantage with magic that goes right through their armor, the ability to summon reinforcements from Oblivion, Healing, and Range advantage on all but 1 of the Companions. That's to start, as you progress through the questlines, they lose Aren, Skor, Kodlac...

It's just not an even match. Not even close.
In this video, all of the guilds have the same amount of people, and the college still wins:

i K33L n0085

Destroyer Devour Master
Why is the Dark Brotherhood not in this list? So what if they have been brought to there knees and have barely any numbers? You can't fight what you can't see. They would assassinate each member of the other guilds one by one while the rest are wondering what the heck happened to all their teammates.

HAIL SITHIS!!!

Valyn

Why is the Dark Brotherhood not in this list? So what if they have been brought to there knees and have barely any numbers? You can't fight what you can't see. They would assassinate each member of the other guilds one by one while the rest are wondering what the heck happened to all their teammates.

HAIL SITHIS!!!
I would like to see you use a petty knife against my POWERFUL ARCANE FIRE!!!

i K33L n0085

Destroyer Devour Master
You wouldn't have a chance, you would be distracted while reading a spell tome and then next thing you know there's a dagger on your neck doing 60 times regular damage. (power attack + assassin's blade perk + shrouded gloves)

Valyn

You wouldn't have a chance, you would be distracted while reading a spell tome and then next thing you know there's a dagger on your neck doing 60 times regular damage. (power attack + assassin's blade perk + shrouded gloves)
Just...no. If we were pitted against each other, don't think i wouldn't be able to see you just by crouching. And besides, admit it, if skyrim had a pvp option, assassin build would be the worst.
Anyways i already know all the spells so dont try that on me/

i K33L n0085

Destroyer Devour Master
If you won't read a spell tome, I'll wait till you fall asleep. If you don't sleep, I'll wait till your distracted by another enemy, or accepting a quest from an NPC, or crafting something.
The DB knows patience.

Valyn

If you won't read a spell tome, I'll wait till you fall asleep. If you don't sleep, I'll wait till your distracted by another enemy, or accepting a quest from an NPC, or crafting something.
The DB knows patience.
I would use detect life/dead and see you, then since i see you, your dagger will do like 20 damage, then i use incinerate to kill you in one hit because you have low hp and high stamina.