Companions VS Thieves Guild VS College of Winterhold

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Who would win this war?

• Total voters

Scar

Redneck DragonBorn Nord
We all have our favorites and these clans all have thier ups and downs but let's look at this from a scientific standpoint. If these 3 clans all engaged in a war with eachother, who would realisticly come out on top? This is not a popularity contest.

Xivia4

Well, the fight would ultimately be between the Companions and the Mages. The Thieves Guild would get massacred. :eek:

Depending on the location, whether or not the Circle can transform, and if the Dragonborn picks a side then I'd say it's a toss up. Brute strength versus magic.

blue 468

ah probably the College because of all the magicy stuff:p

Will Olmen

This is one of the more ridiculous concepts out there. But to humor you I'll make it simple.

You're asking who out of a group of socially misaligned thieves that spend their days making it a specific point to rarely EVER work together, a group of STUDENTS with a whopping six or seven actual full on legitimate mages or the single most experienced and capable band of warriors that exists in Skyrim would come out on top?

Well the Thieves would probably strike a few low blows on either side but in the end the Companions would charge into the Flagon and turn the Thieves Guild into a pile of gibby chunks. And the Mages are some bad fire tossing people, no doubt there. Pity the Companions can take a fireball or ten. And once Farkas or Vilkas get within 2-hander range or Aela has a clean shot or any of the non-circle members got to a mage the mage's fight would be pretty much over. I'm not even counting the whole WEREWOLF thing.

Calling this a war is kind of wrong. Wars have two sides with legitimate forces. This is, essentially, a legitimate force murdering a loosely affiliated band of rogues and a SCHOOL. And before you go quoting how powerful a single mage can be and the college has multiples blah de blah de blah just take Vilkas or Farkas out and ATTACK the College in Winterhold. After watching the twins ONE SHOT every mage in the vicinity I am of the mind that the College would be in dire straights against the whole group of Companions.

Diisk

Yea I agree the companions would win,
But if they transformed in mid battle, they would lose because it takes forever to fully transform and by the time their done they would of been burn to a crisp.

But if they went without transforming, or we're pre-transformed, there's no doubt they would win. They would lose a few but come out on top.

Side note here, you might be pumpin up the companions a bit too much, I mean skjor was killed pretty easily and he was a werewolf.

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
The College of Winterhold, because if there is no money to be gained the Companions wouldn't care enough to win.

ShadowGambit

Sadly, the Thieves Guild has a non-killing attitude, so they are already gimped here.

As the Mage, I don't see them bloodthirsty either.

Now if you asked of the Dark Brotherhood against the Companion, that IS a war already: some DB are Vampires and some Companions are Werewolf.

My take is that without Dawnguard, Werewolf (Companion) would win because Vampires pre dawnguard are not that powerful.

Dawnguard, a slight edge goes to the Vampire Lords (DB), if we are considering then that Vampires member of DB can become Vampire Lords.

Last thing: those 2 factions goes on war VERY differently. Companions has a "rush into battle" approach, when DB takes cares of the people BEFORE the battle.

Can the Companion prevent the assassination of their faction even before the Battle begins? That is the question to answer.

Diisk

Sadly, the Thieves Guild has a non-killing attitude, so they are already gimped here.

As the Mage, I don't see them bloodthirsty either.

Now if you asked of the Dark Brotherhood against the Companion, that IS a war already: some DB are Vampires and some Companions are Werewolf.

My take is that without Dawnguard, Werewolf (Companion) would win because Vampires pre dawnguard are not that powerful.

Dawnguard, a slight edge goes to the Vampire Lords (DB), if we are considering then that Vampires member of DB can become Vampire Lords.

Last thing: those 2 factions goes on war VERY differently. Companions has a "rush into battle" approach, when DB takes cares of the people BEFORE the battle.

Can the Companion prevent the assassination of their faction even before the Battle begins? That is the question to answer.
well, stop me if I'm wrong but what I know about werewolves are that even in their human state, they still have heightened senses. So if the dark brotherhood decided to assassinate one of them. They would probably smell them coming.

As for the db, I've never made it to the end of their quest line. But from what I've seen so far, they only have 1 vampire and that's the un-child as the jester calls her. But they do have a werewolf on their side which could give them an advantage, but not enough to defeat their brute force.

I could of course be wrong, the db could have changed later on, remember I've never made it to the end. I've only gotten as far as killing Cicero. I plan on finishing it on my khajiit but keeping him alive.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
I would go with the Mages.

Simply: Quiet Casting + Invisibility + Muffle + Paralysis.

How could anybody possibly counter that? The Companions wouldn't even be able to raise a weapon. Not to mention the Mages could raise their dead as well as the dead of their opponents. Oh... and Dremora + Atronachs. Still think anyone has a legitimate chance?

Docta Corvina

The Thieves Guild may have a non-killing business ethic, for business purposes. But they're not above defending themselves and even pushing back with deadly force when they deem it necessary (see the Summerset Shadows).

Also...have you guys met Mercer Frey? o_O

All in all though, I would have to go with the Winterhold Mages. For the reasons mentioned.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
I would go with the Mages.

Simply: Quiet Casting + Invisibility + Muffle + Paralysis.

How could anybody possibly counter that? The Companions wouldn't even be able to raise a weapon. Not to mention they could raise their dead as well as the dead of their opponents. Oh... and Dremora + Atronachs. Still think anyone has a legitimate chance?
I agree. Just summoning Dremora alone tips the scales in the Mages favor.

College of Winterhold, nothing can beat magic. Mabye except a hoard of giant gummy bears hopped up on soda!

Click the eggs it helps

Will Olmen

Can't help but notice how all the mage supporters are conveniently forgetting that 85~90% of the mages in the college are students still LEARNING to control magic. Sure they have magical abilities but the reason Winterhold dislikes them so much is because they keep ALMOST KILLING everyone or TURNING EACH OTHER INSIDE OUT or SUMMONING EVIL CREATURES THAT DESTROY EVERYTHING IN THEIR PATHS ON ACCIDENT or any number of other bungles. You seriously think a group of people that can't even STUDY magic without almost eradicating themselves is going to be able to put together and win a legitimate conflict? You must be the same team Edwarders that thought the vampires in Twilight were cool. Well they weren't. When I was a kid if there was a mythical creature that ran around the forest and sparkled in the light it was a Gods Damned FAIRY.

The teachers in the college would take a big chunk out of anyone they come across. But their numbers are few and they would be overwhelmed. And I present to you again this little factoid: This doesn't have to be a THEORETICAL idea. You can take Farkas or Vilkas to the college, hit 1 mage and then stand back and watch your partner 1-shot every skirt wearing flaming (pun intended) poodle walker in the building. Then do the same to the Thieves guild. The Thieves guild actually put up WAY more of a fight.

Don't get me wrong. I love mages. Mages are great. But they're not Gods. You're forgetting the most effective school of magic against melee fighters is frost as it damages them, slows them down and wears them out. And kids, most the companions are nords. Frost resistance. All of the sudden you're left with fire and lightning and I've yet to see either stop Farkas from putting his iron claymore up a mage's anus and out his eyeball. God help the poor little conjurers if the circle decided to visit as WEREWOLVES. Last I checked there isn't a spell that conjures up SILVER.

Xivia4

And don't forget that you can enchant armour to resist magic. As for summoning others to help fight, if the Dragonborn chooses a side she can do the same thing.
Transmute spell ^

? All this does is change iron ore to silver and silver to gold. How does this help in battle?

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
You must be the same team Edwarders that thought the vampires in Twilight were cool. Well they weren't. When I was a kid if there was a mythical creature that ran around the forest and sparkled in the light it was a Gods Damned FAIRY.

I'll never understand why Twilight is even mentioned in your argument. Werewolves are not all powerful nor are they the end all to be in Skyrim. You need only a couple of well trained Mages to take on the Companions. By summoning Dremora Lords alone, the Companions would be slaughter. Whether or not the Circle came as wolves.

The thieves' guild are not battlefield rated. They steal, not kill. I think you want the Dark Brotherhood. Companions, that's what they do. Even if the Circle stays in Natural Form. Faralda would rock Socks, Aren too, but the rest of them are fairly squishy. Line it up by matchups:

Kodlac-Aren. goes to Kodlak. While the Archmage can swing an iron battleaxe in Dragonhide with the best of them, I got a feeling the Harbinger isn't even going to break a sweat here.
Skor-Mirabelle Uh, Skor. I've never seen 'belle break out, but I have seen Skor go all dual wildy in Wolf Armor.
Vilkas/Farkas-Faralda Ninya. The Steel Twins. The elves would be too busy bickering between each other, or at least Ninya wouldn't try too hard to have Faralda's Back.
Aela-Tolfdir. Flames, and Stoneflesh verses one of the best archers around, Ancient Nord Armor, sheild and dagger. I like Tolfdir, I do. Toast.
Collette would have no idea what was going on, and probably try to Turn Undead. No offense, regardless, if she got her act together, maybe she could heal the wounded.
Phineas, ok, he's pretty badass. Arniel gane too. I just realized the numbers here. Assuming Drevis ran away invisible, there's more Professors than circle members, and the Apprentices can keep the trainees busy. Even strength, Companions. With numbers, and a wide open battlefield, or home team advantage, CoWH.

KritikalPT

The most likely scenario that I can think of is the following: The Circle members of the Companions would turn into werewolves and just send those squishy mages flying, and while they're on the ground they would claw them until they are but pieces of flesh on the ground.
Meanwhile in the College and Jorrvaskr, the Thieves Guild would go to those places, since they're pretty much empty due to the ongoing war and completely steal everything that isn't nailed down, be it books, potions, the fragments of Wuuthrad, weapons, armor, robes, everything worth selling really.
After the bloody battle, the Companions claim victory and start a long trip back to Jorrvaskr to sing about the defeat of the mages, but once they enter they realize that everything was stolen.
And so the Thieves live happily rich.

Werewolves are squishy too, compared to the tanks they are normally. That seems to be the problem, they have a Ranger, and a whole bunch of tanks. The college has a bunch of wizards, and no appreciable armor/melee. So, it would come down to the battlefield. The borad flat planes of whiterun, CoWH. Aela just can't shoot all of them first, and most of the Wizards will probably drop Flame Atronachs. They already outnumber them.

Close quarters, like Jorvaskr, or even the streets of Whiterun City, the Companions would be at a lot less of a disadvantage.