Ysgramor, Hero or Murderous Savage?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Mookie

Obviously, we aren't talking about what they thought was acceptable 4,000 years ago. The Nords were out to claim Skyrim, no matter the cost. Ysgramor is made to look like a hero because he effectively allowed that to happen. The Nords, being who they are, didn't give a damn about anything else. And if it would have been acceptable, why aren't there more genocides in TES lore? Why didn't the Argonians wipe out the Dark Elves, or vice versa?

He left atmora and came to Skyrim to get away from wars and death. He was peacefull and friendly.
Then elves decided to go all Egyptian and kill everyone for fear of Nords breeding too much.
They simply got what was coming.

Blackwhite1223

Really? "Ysgramor and his army hunted the Snow Elves and other Mer alike, and made possible the rise of men, eventually establishing the First Empire[6]. These series of events gained the name of The Return and have since led to a strong hatred and prejudice between the races of Men and Mer." -http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Night_of_Tears

He hunted elves. He could have stopped after re-taking Saarthal, he could have initiated peace talks. Instead, he effectively wiped them out. 'They simply got what was coming' is one of the poorest excuses for genocide. They lost a city, so what? They should have moved on. Not decided to wipe out a race.

Mookie

Really? "Ysgramor and his army hunted the Snow Elves and other Mer alike, and made possible the rise of men, eventually establishing the First Empire[6]. These series of events gained the name of The Return and have since led to a strong hatred and prejudice between the races of Men and Mer." -http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Night_of_Tears

He hunted elves. He could have stopped after re-taking Saarthal, he could have initiated peace talks. Instead, he effectively wiped them out. 'They simply got what was coming' is one of the poorest excuses for genocide. They lost a city, so what? They should have moved on. Not decided to wipe out a race.

When you come peacefully to run away from war, and you befriend someone and they backstab you, the anger you feel is great. Greatest of all if I may add.
He probably went trough breakdown, seeing how stupid he was for trusting them, for believeing that you can go away from war, and not to mention the anger he felt seeing that all that suported him and left atmora for same reasons were dead. So he went back and then returned with 500 pissed of men and women.

Ivory

Let's Player
Look at some conflict points in the world. The Balkans are the best examples of such a conflict.
You have Bosnians and Albanians as descendants of Illyrians who lived there since time before rome and greek states.
(Bosnians are slavicised though so they speak slavic language)
And you have serbs and croats, slavs who came to that area in 8th century. There is a constant state of conflict even during peace. Exactly because there was no clear winner in any of the wars there.
Genocide isn't a clear winner to stop war. That's like saying all Germans should have been wiped out due to both WW's having to mainly focus with them. This logic of "Wipe them out, problem solved" is the most backwards thought I'd ever heard of. It's one thing to say war can cause genocide, but to say its the only real way to win a war? Well then crap, the only 'wars' that have been won in the world were the native americans being forced out..or any instance like it.. Oh wait that was genocide too.

Your example is an almost isolated one. There are many countries that have gone to war with one another and have given peace. Does that mean everyone is friendly 24/7? No but there is peace. Look at the UN, doesn't that prove something? Honestly, Tiber Septim would never have slaughtered an entire race. He brought the entirety of Tamriel into peace through war yes, but it was a war won without one sided genocide. Had he followed Ysgramor's example, he would have failed and there would be no Septim Era at all.

In fact, typing that out now, doesn't that make Ysgramor and Tiber Septim polar opposites?

Mookie

Genocide isn't a clear winner to stop war. That's like saying all Germans should have been wiped out due to both WW's having to mainly focus with them. This logic of "Wipe them out, problem solved" is the most backwards thought I'd ever heard of. It's one thing to say war can cause genocide, but to say its the only real way to win a war? Well then crap, the only 'wars' that have been won in the world were the native americans being forced out..or any instance like it.. Oh wait that was genocide too.

Your example is an almost isolated one. There are many countries that have gone to war with one another and have given peace. Does that mean everyone is friendly 24/7? No but there is peace. Look at the UN, doesn't that prove something? Honestly, Tiber Septim would never have slaughtered an entire race. He brought the entirety of Tamriel into peace through war yes, but it was a war won without one sided genocide. Had he followed Ysgramor's example, he would have failed and there would be no Septim Era at all.

In fact, typing that out now, doesn't that make Ysgramor and Tiber Septim polar opposites?

UN is here how long?
War is a constant. There can never be peace between two people claiming that same place belongs to them

Blackwhite1223

When you come peacefully to run away from war, and you befriend someone and they backstab you, the anger you feel is great. Greatest of all if I may add.
He probably went trough breakdown, seeing how stupid he was for trusting them, for believeing that you can go away from war, and not to mention the anger he felt seeing that all that suported him and left atmora for same reasons were dead. So he went back and then returned with 500 pissed of men and women.

Why not stay in Atmora, or settle somewhere else in Tamriel?There was no need for him to wage war because a few hundred pissed off people.

Ivory

Let's Player

This. This right here. Ysgramor caused the entire hatred between men and mer IN THE FIRST PLACE. Who's to say that both men and mer wouldn't have become allies with one another hadnt Ysgramor hunted mer, apparently not just Snow Elves either. He effectively, indirectly has caused every war between Men and Mer since then.

Ivory

Let's Player
UN is here how long?
War is a constant. There can never be peace between two people claiming that same place belongs to them
Native Americans and the Colonies. Mexico and the US fighting over Texas. Germany and the rest of the world.

Mookie

This. This right here. Ysgramor caused the entire hatred between men and mer IN THE FIRST PLACE. Who's to say that both men and mer wouldn't have become allies with one another hadnt Ysgramor hunted mer, apparently not just Snow Elves either. He effectively, indirectly has caused every war between Men and Mer since then.
I supose you didnt read my post or lore. He was allied with elves. He went away to escape war and find peace.
And then elves decided that men are breeding to much so its time to cut them down.
Little did they know what lay in Atmora

Mookie

Native Americans and the Colonies. Mexico and the US fighting over Texas. Germany and the rest of the world.

Izrael and Palestine?
really peacefull and secure place.
So safe that people need to be separated by 30 foot concrete walls.

Ivory

Let's Player
I supose you didnt read my post or lore. He was allied with elves. He went away to escape war and find peace.
And then elves decided that men are breeding to much so its time to cut them down.

So the effective solution is to slaughter an entire race? Non-sense. One city I seriously doubt equated to the entire human population on Tamriel at the time.

Izrael and Palestine?
really peacefull and secure place.
So safe that people need to be separated by 30 foot concrete walls.

And? My point still outweighs yours. Peace has happened and can happen.

Blackwhite1223

Skyrim originally belonged to the snow elves. Not Ysgramor. He had no need or right to come back looking to eliminate the Snow elves. Peace could have been achieved, if not for him.

Ivory

Let's Player
Also, where is your proof of this "Lore" that Ysgramor had an alliance with the Elves? Peace and an Alliance are two different things.

Mookie

Also, where is your proof of this "Lore" that Ysgramor had an alliance with the Elves? Peace and an Alliance are two different things.

The Atmorans were among the first human settlers on Tamriel and had been emigrating from Atmora for many years prior.[1] They called the land Mereth, in recognition of the vast number of Mer that lived there, and befriended the local Elves.[2]
They built the great city of Saarthal which became one of the first major Nord settlements, one of the first cities of men in Skyrim and the earliest known capital of their civilization.[3]
Sack of SaarthalEdit

One night, an invading force of Elves descended upon Saarthal and slaughtered the inhabitants. The city itself was burned to the ground. These events became known as the Night of Tears.[3]
MotiveEdit

Originally, it was believed that the Elves motive was to exterminate the Atmorans as they realized the rate at which Man's population was growing. If left unchecked, these settlers would become a great threat to Elvish civilization on Tamriel. Another theory, proposed by Imperial scholars, is that the Snow Elves' motives for attacking Saarthal was that they feared that the Atmorans' culture would surpass their own, and thus sought to drive the men from their lands.[2]
It has been speculated however that when the city was originally built, the Atmorans found a source of great powerlocated underneath Saarthal and attempted to keep it buried. The elves learned of this and coveted it for themselves.[3]
Some reports suggest that the initial attack on Saarthal was very focused, and did not appear to correlate to any locations that were established as points of defense or importance. Not only did the elves know the apparent layout of the city, but that their assault was based on a specific directive and perhaps a singular goal [4].

Here you go sir.

Ivory

Let's Player
Again. Peace between Mer and Men does not mean alliance. This idea that Ysgramor was 'betrayed' is speculated non-sense. There isn't enough evidence to say that there was some kind of human elven alliance.

Mookie

Again. Peace between Mer and Men does not mean alliance. This idea that Ysgramor was 'betrayed' is speculated non-sense. There isn't enough evidence to say that there was some kind of human elven alliance.

Read what I posted from wiki.
Please READ and then come back

Ivory

Let's Player
I did. No where does it state there was an alliance. Friendly terms for years? Yes. In fact your post helps me make another deduction.

It has been speculated however that when the city was originally built, the Atmorans found a source of great powerlocated underneath Saarthal and attempted to keep it buried. The elves learned of this and coveted it for themselves.[3]
Some reports suggest that the initial attack on Saarthal was very focused, and did not appear to correlate to any locations that were established as points of defense or importance. Not only did the elves know the apparent layout of the city, but that their assault was based on a specific directive and perhaps a singular goal [4].

This is proven in Skyrim's game that it wasnt about a hatred for the Atmorans or trying to wipe them out. This was about a power, not about Land. The Atmorans made it about Land.

Mookie

I did. No where does it state there was an alliance. Friendly terms for years? Yes. In fact your post helps me make another deduction.

This is proven in Skyrim's game that it wasnt about a hatred for the Atmorans or trying to wipe them out. This was about a power, not about Land. The Atmorans made it about Land.

A power which shouldnt be wielded by anyone, a power they burried deep down and didnt use even as they were getting slaughtered.
Actualy I just think you will keep ignoring what is said just to keep the discussion going

Ivory

Let's Player
A power which shouldnt be wielded by anyone, a power they burried deep down and didnt use even as they were getting slaughtered.
Actualy I just think you will keep ignoring what is said just to keep the discussion going
Not at all. This is all open ended questions. I'm simply questioning, granted there just isn't enough evidence for a lot of information, but you still have not acknowledged what I said. I'm waiting for that. It's been my response several times now and you have ignored it.

Mookie

Not at all. This is all open ended questions. I'm simply questioning, granted there just isn't enough evidence for a lot of information, but you still have not acknowledged what I said. I'm waiting for that. It's been my response several times now and you have ignored it.
If you are expecting some stone tablet saying what exactly hapened it aint gonna happen.
It is left, like everything else to personal interpretation