Thrall Thread : Living with the dead

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

iMACobra

Experienced Necromancer
The noise can be a problem for some necromancers.
Dawnguard and Dragonborn DLC do help a bit by supplying some non-moaning Vampires , Reavers , and Cultists for the conjurer who likes it on the quiet side.
Thralled Dremora are also silent unless taunting mortals in combat.
Always been my issue with thralling, the moaning. Now that I know the cultists don't moan, that's pretty cool. They me a bit wimpy, but it might be nice to give 'em some payback for being such jerks.
just dont bother with any nord cultists u may find.
only the dunmer ones r quiet

The moaning doesn't really bother me because the benefits of using them against their will outweigh the annoyance of their moaning (Would you really not use a powerful thrall just because of their moaning?). Even Dunmer cultists moan sometimes but they do speak also. Also, I actually had 2 Master Cultists track me down (the ones with the Cultist Orders). One was male and female, both Dunmers. The female is able to summon a Seeker which is really awesome even though they're not that great against NPCs. You can actually somewhat choose the level of the cultists that attack you, its just entirely random. Just spawn to a city or town (I used Karthwasten) and check their names. I would aim for 2 Master Cultists but if u only want 1 then ok, it's also preferable if they can summon something. If they are not what you want then reload and fast-travel to a city or town. It's also a huge bonus that these 2 particular cultists are permanent. These Master Cultists also had over 900hp.

Adam Warlock

Report on Served Cold quest.
Spoilers warning !

All thralls listed will level scale with the Dragonborn and are currently level 31 in Sonja`s Skyrim.
All corpses are anchored with permanent items.
For the record , Sonya has been level frozen for quite some time and if she were to level up now she would jump to level 76.

Mirri Severin----
It`s important that you find a way NOT to kill Mirri and her "mother" when you first enter Severin Manor looking for evidence of the plot.
I successfully sneaked in and out but had a table knife coated with a paralyzing potion handy just in case I was detected.
This allows both women to relocate to Ashfallow Citadel where they will then be equipped in full sets of Morag Tong armor instead of clothing !
Mirri is Bandit class with a level 50 cap.
Perks and skills are suitable for her MT armor and 1H/shield melee.
She moans.

Tilisu Severin-
Basically the same as Mirri except for different sounding moan and a level 60 cap.

Vendil Severin-
Dremora class with level 60 cap.
Wears 3 pieces of Heavy Chitin(no helm) of which the chest armor and gauntlets are already enchanted.
His Light Armor perks are mismatched to his gear but he has some fabulous buffs for a dual-wielding combat style.
Vendil does not moan !

Quick question: which is the 'best' version of Drelas, PyroDrelas or ElectroDrelas?

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
I like the pyro version a little better.

Adam Warlock

Quick question: which is the 'best' version of Drelas, PyroDrelas or ElectroDrelas?
Drelas(if thrallable) can cast each type of destruction magic depending on circumstances.
Sometimes his selections aren`t what you would have chosen
At level 36(....mancer equivalent) , he will cast more shock spells but i think that`s mainly because of a deeper magicka pool.
I like the lightning , particularly in fights against mages and dragons.

Drelas(if thrallable) can cast each type of destruction magic depending on circumstances.
Sometimes his selections aren`t what you would have chosen
At level 36(....mancer equivalent) , he will cast more shock spells but i think that`s mainly because of a deeper magicka pool.
I like the lightning , particularly in fights against mages and dragons.
I see... Thought He was an elemental based Mage, just like Illia. Thanks for clarifying it :]

Thralled Drelas while Velavyn was level 28. If I recall correctly that's the limit level for thralling him, am I right?

Sorry for the rushed posts guys, it's hard having to type on a smartphone while paying attention to the game lol.
Just give me some time and I'll write a proper rundown of what I've been doing with my new character :]

AJK

I haven't read the whole thread, but is it possible to Thrall Ulfric Stormcloak?
Under normal circumstances , you must complete the Imperial side of the Civil War and thrall the then non-essential Ulfric before your character passes level 34.
The rebellious jarl scales at 1.2 times the Dragonborn up to a cap of 50.

So 34 is the level cap? I'm pretty sure I was past that level when he was killed. But those other chaps iMACobra mentioned are intriguing. It was mainly the capability for shouting that I was interested in.

AJK

I haven't read the whole thread, but is it possible to Thrall Ulfric Stormcloak?

Yes, up until lv. 34. Once you pass lv. 34, he is unthrallable Honestly, if ur only reason to use Ulfric as a thrall is for his unique ability to shout, then u might as well look at Hakon One-Eye and/or Gormlaith Golden-Hilt. They can do everything Ulfric can with some extra tidbits that make them even bttr than the Jarl. Even though they have a lower level cap (30) than Ulfric (50; you wouldn't be able to thrall him at that level anyway), they can use Unrelenting Force and Disarm (which only works on lv. 30 and below). Now here's where they are better than him. Unlike Ulfric who only has his 6 Armor Rating bracers, The Sovngarde heroes have a set of Ancient Nord/Steel Plate armor minus the helmet which can be further improved for more defense, unlike the bracers, and they can enchanted as well! The most special part about them is their inability to be ragdolled by Fus Ro Dah where Ulfric can easily fly away. They just get pushed back. They also have unique voices so that means no moaning! So you'll hear things like "Feel the bite of my axe!" or "My sword will taste of your blood!". And they glow too, almost like Wyndelius Gatharian, another awesome unique thrall. The worst thing about them is they need to be anchored, unlike Ulfric. All these things IMHO make them way bttr than Ulfric if u wanted a shouting thrall. If it's for roleplay.... fine, be my guest....

Now, if ur other reason for getting Ulfric was for Colonel Cambell... I mean Galmar Stone-Fist, who has a unique voice, Legate Rikke is way bttr in all respects, except for maybe the moaning. Now if you were choosing which side to join based purely on thrall potential, Rikke would be the way to go. Take note that if you want her to thrall her with a helmet on, you must first join up with the Imperials to Korvanjund and THEN defect to the Stormcloaks during The Jagged Crown quest, as in give the crown to Ulfric. Although there arent many enchantments thralls can utilize on headpieces, the extra armor rating still really helps. Now, on to specifics, Galmar is skilled in HEAVY ARMOR, he wears LIGHT ARMOR. He is more skilled in ONE-HANDED but you can just switch out his TWO-HANDED weapon. Give him Bow and arrows because he is skilled in Archery and a shield. Now Rikke is a different story. I would have considered her the best warrior thrall if it wasnt for Umana's awesome perks. Let's see what Rikke is skilled in 1H, 2H, Archery, Block, Heavy Armor and Light Armor.... WOW, if she were a follower you could make her wear anything! If a Draugr Deathlord disarms her and she picks up a 2H weapon, no problem! She's skilled in 2H! She also has a whopping 700 something hp at lv. 30, Glamor only has over 300hp. The worst thing about Rikke is her moaning voice but that doesnt outweigh the benefits of using her. She is also not permanent like Galmar but can be grave-robbed to be permanent so a big plus for her! All in all, it generally is bttr to thrall Tullius and RIkke for gameplay reasons but arent necromancers ultimate goals to go after the strongest thralls like Volkihar Vampires (lv.48; need Necromage perk), the strongest thralls in the game with over 800hp?!?! If ur reason for thralling Ulfric and Galmar are for roleplay reasons... be my guest...

I also heard you can thrall the Spectral Assassin but I've never been able to pull it off, he just turns into ectoplasm before I can fast-travel... Plus, he levels past 40 and wears clothes only... skilled in Heavy Armor...

Those 2 you mentioned are in Sovngarde and are essential. How am I supposed to thrall them?

Adam Warlock

Yes, up until lv. 34. Once you pass lv. 34, he is unthrallable Honestly, if ur only reason to use Ulfric as a thrall is for his unique ability to shout, then u might as well look at Hakon One-Eye and/or Gormlaith Golden-Hilt. They can do everything Ulfric can with some extra tidbits that make them even bttr than the Jarl. Even though they have a lower level cap (30) than Ulfric (50; you wouldn't be able to thrall him at that level anyway), they can use Unrelenting Force and Disarm (which only works on lv. 30 and below). Now here's where they are better than him. Unlike Ulfric who only has his 6 Armor Rating bracers, The Sovngarde heroes have a set of Ancient Nord/Steel Plate armor minus the helmet which can be further improved for more defense, unlike the bracers, and they can enchanted as well! The most special part about them is their inability to be ragdolled by Fus Ro Dah where Ulfric can easily fly away. They just get pushed back. They also have unique voices so that means no moaning! So you'll hear things like "Feel the bite of my axe!" or "My sword will taste of your blood!". And they glow too, almost like Wyndelius Gatharian, another awesome unique thrall. The worst thing about them is they need to be anchored, unlike Ulfric. All these things IMHO make them way bttr than Ulfric if u wanted a shouting thrall. If it's for roleplay.... fine, be my guest....

Now, if ur other reason for getting Ulfric was for Colonel Cambell... I mean Galmar Stone-Fist, who has a unique voice, Legate Rikke is way bttr in all respects, except for maybe the moaning. Now if you were choosing which side to join based purely on thrall potential, Rikke would be the way to go. Take note that if you want her to thrall her with a helmet on, you must first join up with the Imperials to Korvanjund and THEN defect to the Stormcloaks during The Jagged Crown quest, as in give the crown to Ulfric. Although there arent many enchantments thralls can utilize on headpieces, the extra armor rating still really helps. Now, on to specifics, Galmar is skilled in HEAVY ARMOR, he wears LIGHT ARMOR. He is more skilled in ONE-HANDED but you can just switch out his TWO-HANDED weapon. Give him Bow and arrows because he is skilled in Archery and a shield. Now Rikke is a different story. I would have considered her the best warrior thrall if it wasnt for Umana's awesome perks. Let's see what Rikke is skilled in 1H, 2H, Archery, Block, Heavy Armor and Light Armor.... WOW, if she were a follower you could make her wear anything! If a Draugr Deathlord disarms her and she picks up a 2H weapon, no problem! She's skilled in 2H! She also has a whopping 700 something hp at lv. 30, Glamor only has over 300hp. The worst thing about Rikke is her moaning voice but that doesnt outweigh the benefits of using her. She is also not permanent like Galmar but can be grave-robbed to be permanent so a big plus for her! All in all, it generally is bttr to thrall Tullius and RIkke for gameplay reasons but arent necromancers ultimate goals to go after the strongest thralls like Volkihar Vampires (lv.48; need Necromage perk), the strongest thralls in the game with over 800hp?!?! If ur reason for thralling Ulfric and Galmar are for roleplay reasons... be my guest...

I also heard you can thrall the Spectral Assassin but I've never been able to pull it off, he just turns into ectoplasm before I can fast-travel... Plus, he levels past 40 and wears clothes only... skilled in Heavy Armor...

Those 2 you mentioned are in Sovngarde and are essential. How am I supposed to thrall them?
Complete the main quest to receive the Call of Valor shout.
Upon return to Skyrim , use shout to summons hero of choice.
Deactivate this summons by usual method , and then QUICKLY enter loading screen by fast-travel or door BEFORE the dying animation has completed.
Return to where you left the hero and there should be a thrallable body waiting for you.
It may appear ghostly at first but will usually solidify after a transition

Adam Warlock

Minor spoiler

Report on Dead Thrall from Old Friends quest--
Ildari Sarothril(anchored)

Currently Level 31(scales with Dragonborn up to 70)
Powerful mage thrall with unique Telvanni Robes and Heart Stone imbedded in her chest.
Loads of useful perks.
No footwear.
Moans.
Uses Ice Storm primarily with shock spells as back-up.
She will often summons a Storm Atronach.
Wards and Mage Armor for defense.

Adam Warlock

Report on thralls from Bujold`s Retreat(sided with Riekling Chief).

All five Nords will level to 60 (currently 31) and are anchored with Alva`s Journal and Arondil`s Journals(i-iv).
All moan.
None should be thought of as outstanding aside from role-play aspects.
4 are Dremora class and make decent to good 1h or 2h warriors considering total health is probably below 400 at this point.
However Kuvar is Blacksmith class with limited combat skills and must be considered the runt of the litter

Most of the Necromancers around here may already have been warned about this, however some extra precaution never hurts:
If you plan on going to Solstheim for the first time, board the ship without your thralls, otherwise they will be gone forever!

iMACobra

Experienced Necromancer
A
Most of the Necromancers around here may already have been warned about this, however some extra precaution never hurts:
If you plan on going to Solstheim for the first time, board the ship without your thralls, otherwise they will be gone forever!
Actually, the 1st time you sail with thralls to Solsteim, they die and appear under the boat, in the water. Figured this out thru Detect Dead. Beware with Dremora, they can't be seen with Detect Dead or Life.

Actually, the 1st time you sail with thralls to Solsteim, they die and appear under the boat, in the water. Figured this out thru Detect Dead. Beware with Dremora, they can't be seen with Detect Dead or Life.
Poor Drelas might Have been left sleeping with the fishes for too long then.

Thanks for correcting me Cobra. You taught me not one, but two very important lessons:
To never wander around without detect dead, as well as to never post things on red unless I am dead sure about it lol. Feels like my whole Cultist data went down the sink, since it was mostly impirical :sadface:

iMACobra

Experienced Necromancer
Poor Drelas might Have been left sleeping with the fishes for too long then.

Thanks for correcting me Cobra. You taught me not one, but two very important lessons:
To never wander around without detect dead, and never post things on red unless im dead sure about it lol.
Now im not sure if my cultist research is worthwhile posting :sadface:
No problem! I've been reading this particular board and managed to read thru the whole thread! I'm just very fascinated with the Dead Thrall concept, although I'm not a necrophile mind you. Go ahead and post anything you you like. I always like to help others and give my own input. Drelas is not such a bad loss. He would never be able to spawn at the lv.40 cap anyway. If you want a shock mage replacement, go with Kornalus. Fire mage? Sild the Warlock. Both are permanent and can be lv. 40 but can also be a lower level like in Adam's Sonja's playthrough but that's probably because Adam's level locking Sonja at lv. 31.

iMACobra

Experienced Necromancer

Complete the main quest to receive the Call of Valor shout.
Upon return to Skyrim , use shout to summons hero of choice.
Deactivate this summons by usual method , and then QUICKLY enter loading screen by fast-travel or door BEFORE the dying animation has completed.
Return to where you left the hero and there should be a thrallable body waiting for you.
It may appear ghostly at first but will usually solidify after a transition
They actually keep their ghostly form after a transition. If you leave them alone in another cell, they will appear dead again, like Wyndelius, but when thralling them and going through another cell (long loading screen), they gain their ghostly look again.

Another question: How can one confirm his Lokil (lvl 14-65) is set at Volkihar Vampire cap (lvl 48), besides checking his thrallability, hp poll and or spell selection? I know it sounds crazy but hypothetically he could be thralled at that level, couldn't he?

Also, which of the many followers would you suggest for boetiah's sacrifice? I was thinking about taking Aeola but gave up after realising her sneaking skill is at 70, seeing how most of the available followers suck at it. Names that come to mind are Marcurio, Aeola and Uthgerd the Unbroken...

iMACobra

Experienced Necromancer
Another question: How can one confirm his Lokil (lvl 14-65) is set at Volkihar Vampire cap (lvl 48), besides checking his thrallability, hp poll and or spell selection? I know it sounds crazy but hypothetically he could be thralled at that level, couldn't he?

Also, which of the many followers would you suggest for boetiah's sacrifice? I was thinking about taking Aeola but gave up after realising her sneaking skill is at 70, seeing how most of the available followers suck at it. Names that come to mind are Marcurio, Aeola and Uthgerd the Unbroken...
Well, without PC, you won't really know what level he is. The best you can do to have an idea what level he is... if you want the strongest thrallable vampire you would use Dread Zombie with the Necromage perk to see if he is unthrallable and then use Dead Thrall. If it works, he is either a Master Vampire (lv.42) or Volkihar Vampire (lv.48). One of those two variations has long black hair I think.

For Boethiah's sacrifice, I used Illia from Darklight Tower because of a common bug with her to never give the "Follow me" option after a save and reload. She caps at lv.40. I made her join the Blades 1st and then sacrificed her so that I could have more enchantable slots on her. But beware, her inventory respawns after a while. She has a sneak level of 44 but you can put Muffle on her boots to help mitigate that but she'd be wearing heavy armor if you made her join the Blades so nevermind.

Adam Warlock

Ordinary Volkihars from interiors are always female in my experience.
I believe Lokil goes directly from Master Vamp to Volk MasterV since he is boss class(just like Morvath and Vighar do)
A 42 lvl MV is plenty powerful

Roggi Knot-Head (lol) the most worthless follower imo and you can get him cheap with no risk.
He also lives fairly close to the Sacellum for your convenience.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts