Thrall Thread : Living with the dead

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
You might ask - But Denvald, why is the cultist gear so important for you?
Simple, my friends. Excluding the dagger, a default cultist set provides your thrall three enchantable equips, while the warlock set (enchanted robe + boots) provides a single enchantable item. It is also worth noting that cultist items provide heavy and light armor defense :] pretty neat if you ask me.

These two videos led me to especulate that summoner cultists STILL keep their default gear after reaching master status:
Yes, I am well aware that both of these videos feature mods... But honestly, what is the point in putting thrall candidates to fight each other without their original gear?

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
Necromancer has been rebuilt. And so far I am about knee deep into the Civil War. The Battle of Whiterun was a bust for thralls. They wouldn't spawn outside the front gate. So I reloaded a previous save and decided to test my newly discovered Summon Dremora Lord spell. Which was great with maybe a total of tree pairs of Demoras those Stormmies barely made it past the first barricades.

Shortly after the battle I found my self in a fist fight in Morthal. Somehow Thonnir got a little to close and everyone present attacked and killed him and the brawl just ended.

Remembering the suggestion to get some vamp thralls I decided to start "Laid to Rest". My first test subject was Laelette the Vampire. I decided she could help me clear out Movarths Lair since he was my intended target. She was pretty much useless, however when fighting a spider she yelled out "Leave her alone, Shes mine"

Despite being a fairly stout enemy Movarth was a complete disappointment. He wouldnt fight at all. Drelas and Lydia killed a dragon that practically landed right on top of him and he just stood there with his arms crossed. I turned him into a pile of ash and decided to go to Dimhollow Crypt.

For some reason when I activated the dais in Dimhollow my thralled Lokil decided to attack me while I was still attached to it. So on my previous save I activated it first and then reanimated him.

I now have a thralled Lokil and Eisa Blackthorne (Frostmere Crypt) to take to the next battle.

Well... According to UESP wiki, Cultists can be divided into two types:
Standart and Summoner. They also share the same level variants, as shown here: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Dragonborn:Cultist
Standart cultists are like normal mages, casting flesh spells before engaging in combat and healing when their hitpoints get low. On the other hand, Summoner cultists can do what I mentioned above plus summoning a seeker. Yes, a seeker! This Lovecraftian bastard was quite a headache for my characters even at lower difficulties lol. The only downside about summoners is that their default armor set will get swapped by enchanted robes plus boots once their level get past 36.

In the worst scenario -if the wiki is right-, warlock outfit will be their armor by default and there will be nothing to done, except dealing with it. :/

This is great Im going to have to make a trip to Solsthiem once I'm done with my current project.

AS88

Staff member
For some reason when I activated the dais in Dimhollow my thralled Lokil decided to attack me while I was still attached to it. So on my previous save I activated it first and then reanimated him.

Yeah this happened to me, too. But like you said, doing ritual first fixed it.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
This thread has awakened an interest in actually trying out a Necromancer. I skimmed some and skipped some so I apologize if this has been covered but while I saw a couple of references to the Restoration Potion Glitch I'm surprised nobody considered using OP gear to enhance a particular thrall which is largely worthless otherwise, such as burnt Astrid. Used judiciously, the Glitch can create powerful, yet non game breaking items to keep your thralls alive or allow lower level thralls to go toe-to-toe with the heavy hitters at higher levels. So if you like a particular thrall this would make them more viable to keep around.

Also, could someone please (re)explain what anchoring is, who it's for, and what items or processes are needed to accomplish it?

Adam Warlock

This thread has awakened an interest in actually trying out a Necromancer. I skimmed some and skipped some so I apologize if this has been covered but while I saw a couple of references to the Restoration Potion Glitch I'm surprised nobody considered using OP gear to enhance a particular thrall which is largely worthless otherwise, such as burnt Astrid. Used judiciously, the Glitch can create powerful, yet non game breaking items to keep your thralls alive or allow lower level thralls to go toe-to-toe with the heavy hitters at higher levels. So if you like a particular thrall this would make them more viable to keep around.

Also, could someone please (re)explain what anchoring is, who it's for, and what items or processes are needed to accomplish it?

Anchoring-

While there is a wide range and number of NON-RESPAWNING NAMED NPC who have naturally permanent corpses , the bodies of most such NPC will disappear from the game sometime after they have died.

Anchoring is a method to preserve the corpse of a named non-respawning NPC without having to keep that thrall continuously active or inside your current cell.
Placing a permanent or persistent item in the inventory of the corpse achieves this end in most cases.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim_talk:Permanent_And_Persistent_Items
read bottom of discussion page as well

Treasure Maps(I-X) are the easiest to obtain , but there are lots of journals, notes , and other items that work.(not silver weapons tho)

Items may be tested by selling to a vendor and checking to see if items remain after store inventory has reset.
Advised never to drop on ground or put in bookshelf/dummy but keep in personal/vendor`s inventory or a container since some items can lose permanency by being placed into the world.

Adam Warlock

As for the Resto Glitch to empower lesser minions , it`s certainly doable though unnecessary given all your options.
If you want to roleplay Narri as an undead giant-slayer in Tavern Clothes , why not?
I must admit to being tempted to use it with Velehk Sain who is an incredibly cool but terribly puny thrall.

Finally I'm going to create my Dunmer, Velavyn Volhalen, after being miles away from my ps3!
Oh no, I'm not that creative with names lol. A name generator came up with 10 alternatives, but the one I choosed was by far the best one.
Velavyn Volhalen... Sounds nice, doesn't it?

If anyone is interested in the name generator, here follows the link. It also can create names for other races too.
http://fantasynamegenerators.com/dunmer_names.php

Let the necromancy begin!

Side note: Guys if I'm not asking for much, mind providing me a brief list of thralls that I shouldn't miss, like Drelas and Lokil?

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Question: Doesn't the moaning get on your nerves? That's why I stopped doing necromancy. It took too long to find Khajit to raise & thrall. At least they have an accent when they moan. :)

I haven't read the whole thread, but is it possible to Thrall Ulfric Stormcloak?

Well so long as he is essential, he's not dead...
after that, it would go back to his level... maybe with some console commands... hmm you can change an NPCs level.... I wonder...

AJK

I haven't read the whole thread, but is it possible to Thrall Ulfric Stormcloak?

Well so long as he is essential, he's not dead...
after that, it would go back to his level... maybe with some console commands... hmm you can change an NPCs level.... I wonder...

I've completed the Civil War questline. He's dead. His corpse is still in the hall of the Palace of the Kings where he fell. What's the maximum thrallable level?

Types of Thralls

• Unique NPCs and Followers
    • Unique NPCs will retain their unique abilities when reanimated, such as Orchendor's teleportation or Ulfric Stormcloak's shouts.
    • Some unique NPCs are leveled so care should be taken when enthralling them, as they might cross the level cap.
  • Generic NPCs (bandits, vampires, etc.)
  • Dremora
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Dead_Thrall
Any humanoid level 40 or below may be raised again to become a permanent minion. However, there are some considerations which might guide your decision in choosing your minion since the thrall is permanent and can be raised again if killed in combat
Looks like it might be able to...interesting (Edit fontcolor)

iMACobra

Experienced Necromancer
As for the Resto Glitch to empower lesser minions , it`s certainly doable though unnecessary given all your options.
If you want to roleplay Narri as an undead giant-slayer in Tavern Clothes , why not?
I must admit to being tempted to use it with Velehk Sain who is an incredibly cool but terribly puny thrall.

You know I've actually tried buffing up Velehk Sain the best I could without using restoglitch. I had to use helmet stacking glitches from Youtube to make like 38% enchanting and 237% smithing potions. With these I put fortify helth and stamina on the Hamerfell Garb and resist fire and frost on the boots. To make Velehk survive the best he could, I gve him the OP Windshear and a Forsworn sword with absorb health and paralyze for 1sec. The weird thing with is not that he cant dual wield just because he has 2schimitars (I dont know why ppl say he can dual wield shimitars, dumb dumbs) but that with all dremora, the off hamd weapon is invisible so u wont be seeing a forsworn sword. The other problem with him is that he doesnt engage in battle, all he does is cower in fear, running away. the only way i can get him to fite back is courage/rally/call to arms spells (although it is is benificial to him giving extra health anyway). Oh yeah i also funnily gave him the sanguine rose to summon his own kind (how ironic). For ranged combat i gave him a daedric bow with absorb health and damage magicka but i think it would be bttr giving him staves instead.

Adam Warlock

Under normal circumstances , you must complete the Imperial side of the Civil War and thrall the then non-essential Ulfric before your character passes level 34.
The rebellious jarl scales at 1.2 times the Dragonborn up to a cap of 50.

iMACobra

Experienced Necromancer

Yes, up until lv. 34. Once you pass lv. 34, he is unthrallable Honestly, if ur only reason to use Ulfric as a thrall is for his unique ability to shout, then u might as well look at Hakon One-Eye and/or Gormlaith Golden-Hilt. They can do everything Ulfric can with some extra tidbits that make them even bttr than the Jarl. Even though they have a lower level cap (30) than Ulfric (50; you wouldn't be able to thrall him at that level anyway), they can use Unrelenting Force and Disarm (which only works on lv. 30 and below). Now here's where they are better than him. Unlike Ulfric who only has his 6 Armor Rating bracers, The Sovngarde heroes have a set of Ancient Nord/Steel Plate armor minus the helmet which can be further improved for more defense, unlike the bracers, and they can enchanted as well! The most special part about them is their inability to be ragdolled by Fus Ro Dah where Ulfric can easily fly away. They just get pushed back. They also have unique voices so that means no moaning! So you'll hear things like "Feel the bite of my axe!" or "My sword will taste of your blood!". And they glow too, almost like Wyndelius Gatharian, another awesome unique thrall. The worst thing about them is they need to be anchored, unlike Ulfric. All these things IMHO make them way bttr than Ulfric if u wanted a shouting thrall. If it's for roleplay.... fine, be my guest....

Now, if ur other reason for getting Ulfric was for Colonel Cambell... I mean Galmar Stone-Fist, who has a unique voice, Legate Rikke is way bttr in all respects, except for maybe the moaning. Now if you were choosing which side to join based purely on thrall potential, Rikke would be the way to go. Take note that if you want her to thrall her with a helmet on, you must first join up with the Imperials to Korvanjund and THEN defect to the Stormcloaks during The Jagged Crown quest, as in give the crown to Ulfric. Although there arent many enchantments thralls can utilize on headpieces, the extra armor rating still really helps. Now, on to specifics, Galmar is skilled in HEAVY ARMOR, he wears LIGHT ARMOR. He is more skilled in ONE-HANDED but you can just switch out his TWO-HANDED weapon. Give him Bow and arrows because he is skilled in Archery and a shield. Now Rikke is a different story. I would have considered her the best warrior thrall if it wasnt for Umana's awesome perks. Let's see what Rikke is skilled in 1H, 2H, Archery, Block, Heavy Armor and Light Armor.... WOW, if she were a follower you could make her wear anything! If a Draugr Deathlord disarms her and she picks up a 2H weapon, no problem! She's skilled in 2H! She also has a whopping 700 something hp at lv. 30, Glamor only has over 300hp. The worst thing about Rikke is her moaning voice but that doesnt outweigh the benefits of using her. She is also not permanent like Galmar but can be grave-robbed to be permanent so a big plus for her! All in all, it generally is bttr to thrall Tullius and RIkke for gameplay reasons but arent necromancers ultimate goals to go after the strongest thralls like Volkihar Vampires (lv.48; need Necromage perk), the strongest thralls in the game with over 800hp?!?! If ur reason for thralling Ulfric and Galmar are for roleplay reasons... be my guest...

I also heard you can thrall the Spectral Assassin but I've never been able to pull it off, he just turns into ectoplasm before I can fast-travel... Plus, he levels past 40 and wears clothes only... skilled in Heavy Armor...

Adam Warlock

Question: Doesn't the moaning get on your nerves? That's why I stopped doing necromancy. It took too long to find Khajit to raise & thrall. At least they have an accent when they moan. :)
The noise can be a problem for some necromancers.
Dawnguard and Dragonborn DLC do help a bit by supplying some non-moaning Vampires , Reavers , and Cultists for the conjurer who likes it on the quiet side.
Thralled Dremora are also silent unless taunting mortals in combat.

Daelon DuLac

Dawnguard and Dragonborn DLC do help a bit by supplying some non-moaning Vampires , Reavers , and Cultists for the conjurer who likes it on the quiet side.
Always been my issue with thralling, the moaning. Now that I know the cultists don't moan, that's pretty cool. They me a bit wimpy, but it might be nice to give 'em some payback for being such jerks.

Adam Warlock

Always been my issue with thralling, the moaning. Now that I know the cultists don't moan, that's pretty cool. They me a bit wimpy, but it might be nice to give 'em some payback for being such jerks.
just dont bother with any nord cultists u may find.
only the dunmer ones r quiet

Daelon DuLac

just dont bother with any nord cultists u may find.
only the dunmer ones r quiet
Well... you know us Nords, we're a rowdy and complaining bunch... :) Besides, most of the cultists I run in to in Skyrim are either Dunmer or Nord so maybe I won't bother. Not much in to followers, thralls and conjured beings. They just get in my way when I'm spamming Blizzards, Thunderbolts or Firestorms. :)