Thrall Thread : Living with the dead

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Adam Warlock

The Soldiers at Northwatch may use conjured weapons or flames but the only wizard there is the Northwatch Interrogator who may possibly be perm if anchored since he does not respawn.

The problem with him is that his level is radiant 14-50 which means a narrow chance of a thrallable but also powerful minion.
Suggest a save before starting Northwatch in event he can`t be thralled first try.
You don`t have to be on the rescue quest from Whiterun to kill the Interrogator btw.

AS88

Staff member
The Soldiers at Northwatch may use conjured weapons or flames but the only wizard there is the Northwatch Interrogator who may possibly be perm if anchored since he does not respawn.

The problem with him is that his level is radiant 14-50 which means a narrow chance of a thrallable but also powerful minion.
Suggest a save before starting Northwatch in event he can`t be thralled first try.
You don`t have to be on the rescue quest from Whiterun to kill the Interrogator btw.

Didn't think so, thanks for confirming. :)

AS88

Staff member
I've just picked up Lokil as a thrall from the first Dawnguard quest. I've done some research and found out that he speaks more than moans. He wasn't what I was initially going for but I'm willing to try him before I go after my Altmer that I'm waiting for. I didn't have time to do anything after raising him and freeing Serana, though.

Thoughts?

I'm level 34

Adam Warlock

I've just picked up Lokil as a thrall from the first Dawnguard quest. I've done some research and found out that he speaks more than moans. He wasn't what I was initially going for but I'm willing to try him before I go after my Altmer that I'm waiting for. I didn't have time to do anything after raising him and freeing Serana, though.

Thoughts?

I'm level 34
Great thrall !

Anchor Lokil with an appropriate item(like a Treasure Map) for a permanent corpse and store him if he is someone you want to use. There is a significant stretch of the upcoming Dawnguard storyline where dead thralls won`t go(Volkihar Ruins/Soul Cairn,etc.)
He`s an NPC whose level is set radiantly all the way up to 65 so you are lucky he could be thralled. He should remain at his current level for the remainder of the game.
He does indeed talk rather than moan and can be very entertaining.
Benefits him most if you add Resist Fire to his boots and Fortify Health to his armor(#2 enchants Muffle or Resist Shock/ForifyLA, Magic Regen ,or Stamina)
Temper his gear as best you can(Advanced Smithing perk for max #s)
Although his sneak skills are pretty high , he is highly aggressive and will often break a stealthy approach.
I tend to give vampires a single blade with absorb stamina at the least.
They will then cast magic from range and use drain health spell with power attacks up close.

Be sure to find the Necromantic Healing Spell Tome in the crypt where you found Serana if you haven`t already done so.(or purchase from Ronthil if you are Volkihar)

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
WTF! why havent I been getting notifications from this thread :confused: ?

Thoughts?

I'm level 34

Bassically what Adam said, Lokil is a fantastic Thrall and easily my number one preference.

My Lokil is between Lv38-50 (tested via reanimation spells WITH necromage perk), and due to comparing him to Lv42 Master Vamps and Lv48 Volkihors Im pretty sure he is the Lv42 version (same spells and battle style). Thats assuming he spawns in the same increments as other vampire enemies...

fyi, I like Arondil as a thrall, im a sucker for named thralls though and there really is limited named Altmers that are able to be thralled...

Adam Warlock

Since Sonja is at level 31 , I decided to raid Northwatch without the rescue quest to see what`s there.
There were indeed 2 unnamed Thalmor Wizards inside , the first could be raised by Revenant , the second one by Dread Zombie.
But the Northwatch Interrogator resisted Dread Zombie and was thrallable !
The entire remainder of the Keep`s Thalmor were all under lvl 30 and were turned to Ash Piles.

I loaded all the Glass/Elven weapons and Elven armor into the Interrogator and went To Whiterun to sell my loot.
After leaving the Skyforge , I realized Sonja had never visited Jorvassgr and stopped by to see what the Companions were doing.
Upon entering the longhouse , an obviously scripted fist-fight was happening between Athis and Njada .
I watched them for a bit until Athis took a knee.
Njada hit him a couple of more times , stopped , and sat down at table.
Athis then took out his sword and slew her !
No one in the room reacted to this and Njada didn`t even have time to draw her blade.
So I got a lvl 25 thrall for merely entering the place !

In the necromancy trade , we call this " Buy one , get one free "

AS88

Staff member

Since Sonja is at level 31 , I decided to raid Northwatch without the rescue quest to see what`s there.
There were indeed 2 unnamed Thalmor Wizards inside , the first could be raised by Revenant , the second one by Dread Zombie.
But the Northwatch Interrogator resisted Dread Zombie and was thrallable !
The entire remainder of the Keep`s Thalmor were all under lvl 30 and were turned to Ash Piles.

I loaded all the Glass/Elven weapons and Elven armor into the Interrogator and went To Whiterun to sell my loot.
After leaving the Skyforge , I realized Sonja had never visited Jorvassgr and stopped by to see what the Companions were doing.
Upon entering the longhouse , a fist fight was happening between Athis and Njada .
I watched them for a bit until Athis took a knee.
Njada hit him a couple of more times , stopped , and sat down at table.
Athis then took out his sword and slew her !
No one in the room reacted to this and Njada didn`t draw her blade.
So I got a lvl 25 thrall for merely entering the place !

In the necromancy trade , we call this " Buy one , get one free "

Well, after I thralled Lokil at level 34, he got killed three times in half an hour. I headed to Northwatch and came out with a thralled female Northwatch Mage. She then died about twenty minutes later, but the bandits she'd faced were really tough, so I'll see what happens when she next dies and I enchant some stuff for her.

Adam Warlock

Research reveals that the Grand Interrogator`s level is derived from a boss template for Thalmor Wizards so he`s either level 32(579hp) or level 40(651hp) in my game now.(next and highest lvl is 50)
Already have observed shock spells , ward , mage armor , and storm atronach .
Also seen using shield/dagger or bow when magicka runs out.
Tends to back-pedal during fights if given room.

Fairly powerful because of the buffed health , he`s still squishy like most unarmored mages and lost a bout vs a Master Vampire and Vampire`s Thrall who had backed him up against a wall inside Moldering Ruins. He did drink one of my custom healing potions(+212 health) during this battle.

I`ve named my version "Escolano" after the 2nd Grand Inquisitor of Aragon

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
I had an issue with my thralls not being able to fast travel or even leave a city. So I decided to start from scratch. I think my first goal after I get my cunjuration maxed is going to be testing thralls in civil war battles.

Adam Warlock

I had an issue with my thralls not being able to fast travel or even leave a city. So I decided to start from scratch. I think my first goal after I get my cunjuration maxed is going to be testing thralls in civil war battles.
Thralls found during random encounters , along the roads, or during some particular quests are highly unstable and rarely fast-travel.
Get thralls from established camps, etc. and they will stick with you better

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
Thralls found during random encounters , along the roads, or during some particular quests are highly unstable and rarely fast-travel.
Get thralls from established camps, etc. and they will stick with you better

Also thralls prefer not to fast travel through loading gates

eg. Fast travelling from inside Whitrun to Solitudes Blue Palace, it goes

Whitrun-Outside, Outside-Solitude City

They usual dont mind fast travelling through one gate, eg. City centre-outside. But it is safer just to fast travel from outside location-outside location.

The Phoenician

No this was an issue of all thralls disappearing. Even ones that never had issues on a previous build.

Adam Warlock

No this was an issue of all thralls disappearing. Eben ones that never had issues on a previous build.
good luck.
I used a couple of Volkihar Vampires when taking some forts in the civil war.
They eat soldiers for breakfast !

The Phoenician

No this was an issue of all thralls disappearing. Eben ones that never had issues on a previous build.
good luck.
I used a couple of Volkihar Vampires when taking some forts in the civil war.
They eat soldiers for breakfast !
That's not a bad idea. I plan using disposable thralls during the battles so I can see what kind of mayhem I can cause with the Ritual Stone.

Adam my friend, needless to say, your thread is pure gold!

This is the greatest source of info regarding thralls one can found, and trust me, I've been looking for something like this for a very, very long time!
In fact, this discussion page is so interesting I just decided to create a forum account, so I can help too with some thrall research!

Hope I'm not necroing anything besides my thralls, though :]

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
Adam my friend, needless to say, your thread is pure gold!

This is the greatest source of info regarding thralls one can found, and trust me, I've been looking for something like this for a very, very long time!
In fact, this discussion page is so interesting I just decided to create a forum account, so I can help too with some thrall research!

Hope I'm not necroing anything besides my thralls, though :]

This thread was a big reason for me joining these forums as well. Unfortunately (for me) Adam and Co. have done such a fantastic job in their thrall reporting that it is very difficult to post something that has not already been experienced or tried.

Welcome to the forums and good luck in your necromantic experimentations :)

Thanks for the warm welcomes Irishman! Wasn't expecting to be replied so soon :]

As for the research, (I hope) there will be something new to add , like some minor npcs worth mentioning, or perhaps, an unique item that might go well with a thrall.
If not, i could use the gathered info to update the wikia, seeing how that site has poor data about thralls.

Can't wait until I arrive home and create a new character -probably a dunmer- for the testing thursday. Until then, I'll share some of my machinations with y'all.

Adam Warlock

Thanks for the warm welcomes Irishman! Wasn't expecting to be replied so soon :]

As for the research, (I hope) there will be something new to add , like some minor npcs worth mentioning, or perhaps, an unique item that might go well with a thrall.
If not, i could use the gathered info to update the wikia, seeing how that site has poor data about thralls.

Can't wait until I arrive home and create a new character -probably a dunmer- for the testing thursday. Until then, I'll share some of my machinations with y'all.
Quite a few of the Dragonborn NPC have not been fully reported on.
I am assuming this is because they will scale above the limit of Dead Thrall and must be tested before the player exceeds level 40.
The Severins from Raven Rock and the people at Thirsk are of particular interest.

Quite a few of the Dragonborn NPC have not been fully reported on.
I am assuming this is because they will scale above the limit of Dead Thrall and must be tested before the player exceeds level 40.
The Severins from Raven Rock and the people at Thirsk are of particular interest.
By Ismir, Adam! You are quite a mind reader! In fact, that is one of the main reasons to create a Dunmer, as I was planning to held some experiments on soltsheim. Some other nps that may be added to the list are: General Falx Carius, the Mad Man, Ildari Sarothril and the Ascending Wizard. Werebears may not be worth bothering but they will be tested too.

First things first, though. Before setting foot on Solstheim, I spent some time last night gathering information about cultists. Yes cultists. The very first ones our adventurers meet are labelled as permanent corpses, which let me to wonder: What if one face them at level 36? Will they spawn in their master variant? Having two perma master cultists would be a awesome for any Thraller, I bet.

Next post will be about the controversies I found about them yesterday. Stay tuned folks!

Well... According to UESP wiki, Cultists can be divided into two types:
Standart and Summoner. They also share the same level variants, as shown here: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Dragonborn:Cultist
Standart cultists are like normal mages, casting flesh spells before engaging in combat and healing when their hitpoints get low. On the other hand, Summoner cultists can do what I mentioned above plus summoning a seeker. Yes, a seeker! This Lovecraftian bastard was quite a headache for my characters even at lower difficulties lol. The only downside about summoners is that their default armor set will get swapped by enchanted robes plus boots once their level get past 36.

In the worst scenario -if the wiki is right-, warlock outfit will be their armor by default and there will be nothing to done, except dealing with it. :/