Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BIGwooly

- 15th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 202 -

After a fitful night's sleep I awoke this morning to head into the cave above the ruins. My morning meal was bread and apples. Not exactly a favorite of mine, but considering my location it was a pretty decent breakfast.

Within the hour I had entered the cave and already ran into trouble. Inside the cave I spotted a frost troll, and sneaking past him could be risky if I ran into trouble further ahead in the cave. If that happened, and this troll her the commotion and came running, I could end up in a very bad situation. So I decided to take care of him.

I started off with arrows. My bow transfers flame magic to my arrows, and trolls are notorious for their dislike of fire. The first arrow was a direct hit, and as the troll tried to figure out where it had come from I landed a second. After that he was on the move, and headed towards me. I waited until he was fairly close and then delivered a might shout of fire, which I'm sure the troll hated even more than my burning arrows.

He roared angrily and charged me as I raised my shield and absorbed his first attack. I struck back with my mace, now very glad I had a mace with magical flame enchanted into it. The troll bellowed again and swiped at me with both of his massive claws. I cushioned the blows with my shield again, and struck back with deadly intent.

We sparred for a bit like this, with me sometimes using my shield to preemptively disrupt the troll's attacks. I was beginning to become concerned for my health, since the troll was taking a lot of damage but didn't seem to be anywhere close to defeated. I switched up my tactic and began trying to avoid his nasty claws completely. I also stepped to the side to try and land strikes against the troll where he was more exposed on his sides and back. It worked .. and the heartless creature fell dead at my feet.

I moved on through the cave only to discover it was very small. I stepped out and realized I was now on the other side of the mountain range. I was on the Morthal side. It was good to know there was such a passage to slip through the mountains if I ever needed it.

For a moment I considered turning around and heading back to Whiterun. It was still early in the day and I would have plenty of time to sell some things and down some ale. But the trail ahead of me, that led away from the cave, would not let my attention go.

I began to wonder if it led to the top of the mountain I had just cut through. If so, I needed to know. Although I had found a word wall yesterday, I don't think it was the one I set out to find on Eldersblood Peak. I hadn't actually seen the summit of this mountain yet.

So I took to the trail and soon found myself heading up the mountain as I had hoped. But my good mood turned when I saw another frost troll on the trail ahead. I could have used the same strategy I had just used, but I suddenly had a better idea.

I snuck a bit closer and the readied my mace and shield as I stood up. The troll spotted me and came running. They are very base creatures, not dumb, but not exactly intelligent either. They cater to the rage inside them, and that was just what I was counting on.

The troll came crashing down on me with a roar and a giant swing of his arm. I was ready, and took the blow on my shield. Then, in a single beautiful move I stepped to the side of the narrow trail, putting my back to the mountain side and my front to the troll and the cliff behind him. I smashed him with my shield to stun him and buy a split second of time. And in that moment I parted my lips and shouted the violent monster right over the edge of the cliff.

I peeked over in time to see him bounce hard off of some rocks below, freefall another thirty yards, and bounce off of some more rocks ... only to continue his descent and disappear into the flurrying snow that was swarming across the mountain.

With the troll out of my way I continued up the trail and eventually reached the top of the mountain. Edlersblood Peak. And I saw a beautiful sight.

eldersbloodpeakwall.jpg

The word wall was completely out in the open, and I was positive that something evil and nasty was going to fall on me the moment I got too close to the wall. But there was nothing but peaceful quiet and soft flurries of snow to assault me. There were plenty of bones and burnt and bloodied bodies of men and mer around, but I decided those were probably all victims of the dragon I had killed the other day. After all, he had descended down from this very peak.

The word I learned was 'hand' in the dragon tongue, and it carried the power to help me disarm my foes .. especially when used with the other word I had learned recently .. 'weapon'.

With the wall found and the word learned, I headed back down the mountain to return to Whiterun. I was nearly to the cave that splits the mountain when I spotted something just below me that made me chuckle.

trollfall.jpg

TamrielsSavior

The Dark Nord of Helgen
I can't... quite tell... what that picture is?
I am pretty sure that's the crumpled remains of the frost troll he Fus Ro Dah'd off of the side of them mountain.

Pretty awesome that you were able to get a pic of it!

I am pretty sure that's the crumpled remains of the frost troll he Fus Ro Dah'd off of the side of them mountain.

Pretty awesome that you were able to get a pic of it!
Thats what I thought. I'm just not seeing it. Black and White are not the colors to use when photographing a white Frost Troll up against a white with snow mountain.

BIGwooly

Thats what I thought. I'm just not seeing it. Black and White are not the colors to use when photographing a white Frost Troll up against a white with snow mountain.

You can't see it? It's right there. ... points

BIGwooly

Just added a new rule. If I set off a trap and it injures me, then I have died and must go through that routine. My reasoning is that many of the traps are pretty damn deadly looking and in reality they barely scratch your health .. and with regenerating health it's like traps are pointless.

Not anymore.

TamrielsSavior

The Dark Nord of Helgen
Hey all you loyal Hrisskar III fans, if you are interested, please check out my new character and journal linked in my signature.

I would love some feedback and suggestions, and yes, there is plenty of time for me to follow Hrisskar, the vampire journal and the morag tong!

shongo3258

Vampire of Skyrim
(REPLY TO TAMRIELSSAVIOR)
lol glad your doing one and thanks for mentioning my journal but sadly I have to slow up on it a little bit, check out my post on the thread for more details as I am too lazy to write it all again.

BIGwooly

- 25th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 202 -

Once again Jenassa and I part ways. As usual, her assistance proved invaluable. I owe her my life several times over.

It was about two weeks ago that I first visited the ruins of Volunruud. Just getting there was a trial. It's not all that far to the north of Whiterun, but when you're chased by a sabre cat, a bear, some wolves and a dragon .. well, the journey feels a bit more lengthy.

Initially I fared well. I killed a skeleton just inside the ruins, and then proceeded to a large room where I immediately spotted a trap. It was a large spiked door rigged to slam the life out of anyone that triggered it. I noted that and the three draugr present at various levels inside the room.

My bow easily took care of the first. The second was stronger, so I was careful to fire my arrows from the concealment of the dark hallway. The room had a first floor, where the trap was, and a second floor on both sides, which a third floor above and accessed by a walkway. The draugr and I were on opposite sides but on the same floor. With every arrow that hit him he would walk back through the halls and down to the first floor, triggering the trap, and then come up to where the hallway was. Unfortunately the trap wasn't actually catching him as he was too fast, but he wasn't finding me either, so I counted my blessings.

Then, during one of his investigations, he found me. We clashed with melee weapons. The fight was short-lived, though. A smash of my shield sent him flying off of the second floor and to the floor below. I expected him to come back up the stairs to attack me but he decided on a new tactic and drew his bow. So I backed myself into the hallway again, ruining his angle. He backed up too, trying to improve his angle, and I continued backing up as well.

And then the most surprising, and frankly quite humorous, event transpired. As we were both backing up he managed to trip the trap again. This time he was moving slowly, his eyes fixated on the hall where I was hiding. The giant iron wall of spikes sprung into action and he had no chance to dodge it. It drove a dozen rusting spikes right into the draugr's face and sent him flying backwards .. dead as can be.

Despite the fact that another draugr was nearby I let out a hearty chuckle. Sometimes a good laugh is worth more than a chest of gold.

As if the gods were pleased with my laughter they blessed with more. The third draugr took several of my arrows before he figured out where I was and came to confront me. By some miracle of comedy he managed to trigger the trap wall on his way and a moment later he too flew backwards and landed lifeless across the other draugr. I laughed again.

My laughter dissipated as I ventured further and found another room with a very nasty draugr that chased me out of the room with my life in his fingertips. Somehow I got away, but I was sprinting through the darkness and lost my way. I ended up in a circular room that looked like the bottom of an old well. I hugged myself against the wall in the dark and prayed to Mara that the draugr wouldn't find me. My life was nearly gone, so I frantically searched my satchel for the vigorous potion of healing I had been saving. It brought me back a bit, but only just as the draugr showed up. He had found me, and before I could react he shouted me off of my feet.

I don't remember much except trying to get back on my feet. My head was ringing and the room was spinning. I could barely breathe. The shout had knocked the air right out of me, and my heavy armor wasn't helping. But I got to my feet in between the draugr's strkes. My vision was blurring, and it wasn't from the shout. I was about to die. I threw up my shield to block the attack that might have killed me. And then I tried to shout him off his feet and return the favor. But my voice wasn't back yet. I was in real trouble now.

He swung at me again and I just barely dodged it. Another strike came at me and I disrupted it with my shield. I was purposely not counter-attacking him. My new mace wouldn't leech any of the draugr's health for me, and attacking was only going to leave me open for counter-counters. My immediate goal was retreat. I knew without a doubt that I was in over my head.

With frantic efforts I bashed and blocked with my shield. I had barely a thread of life left in me when I found my voice finally. The draugr flipped over and slammed into the wall, but I didn't see it. I was already gone. I was trying to run back to the entrance of the ruins, but I was totally out of breath from blocking and bashing with my shield. I felt like I was crawling. It was like a nightmare .. the kind where you are running but barely moving.

But I did manage to escape, and just barely. I nearly passed out before I reached the old door.

After recovering I was able to go back inside and take care of the draugr with some better tactics and a bit of good fortune. I kept pushing further into the ruins until I reached a very large room with a throne and a chest on the opposite side. Aside from a draugr wandering the room, I could also see the ghost of another draugr sitting on the throne. That he was a ghost was enough of a threat, but that he was sitting on the throne told me he was an especially powerful ghost. I wouldn't consider taking him alone, much less with another capable foe in the room.

So I decided to head back to Whiterun to see if I could hire a mercenary to assist me. But more on that in the morning. The barmaid just served my dinner and I like my cooked beef while it's hot and my ale while it's cold.

BIGwooly

- 26th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 202 -

So as I was writing last night, I hired a mercenary from Whiterun and returned to the ruins. I've hired this particular mercenary before. Her name is Jenassa and she's quite a capable warrior. Her ability to wield two blades at once is impressive.

Our first trip to the ruins together was relatively short and unsuccessful. We snuck into the edge of the room with the ghost, I shot an arrow at him, and all hell broke loose. Before I knew it we had been shouted and a massive frost atronach was lumbering around in the room with us. The battle was mass confusion. The room was dark, and there was magic flying and too many combatants in close combat. I actually managed to slam Jenassa with my shield at one point. It was nearly impossible to employ any sort of tactic.

Needless to say I found myself in a bed a few hours later. Jenassa had managed to get me out of there and back to Whiterun so I could recover instead of become another victim of the powerful ghost draugr.

It took a full week for me to be back on my feet again. I had to re-hire Jenassa, and I decided to take a look inside the local alchemist's shop to see if she had anything useful. As luck would have it, she had a potion for a warrior that helps you do more damage with your weapon. A very useful potion, indeed.

We left once again for the ruins and it wasn't long before we found trouble. We managed to skirt around a sabre cat, but then a dragon came from out of nowhere and we were in the thick of it. Not to make light of killing a dragon, as it's not a simple matter, but we did take care of the distraction and finally get on our way and back to the ruins.

My plan was to use arrows to kill the less powerful draugr first. I was pretty sure he had summoned the frost atronach the last time, and killing him would mean we would be fighting two versus one instead of two versus three.

But I had made a critical error. I had only brought a third of my arrows. I had forgotten to purchase more. Now I was faced with going back to Whiterun or taking care of business right here and now. I chose the latter, and soon found out that my ten arrows were not enough to kill the draugr. It was going to be two versus three.

Jenassa and I burst into the room with a shout from me that reduced the draugr's armor and health. As expected he immediately conjured a frost atronach, while the ghost draugr took the opportunity to shout at us. Once again the fight was chaotic, but I was focused, and found my way straight to the magic-wielding draugr. If he died his summoned atronach would die with him. So I concentrated my efforts on him while Jenassa confronted the ghost draugr.

The plan worked out, although the apparition was much harder to kill, even with two against him, than I would have ever expected. He nearly killed both of us.

But he didn't, and just around the corner we found a word wall. It was what I had hoped to find all along. Jenassa wasn't surprised this time around when I absorbed the power and meaning from the stone. I learned a shout .. well .. a whisper, really ... to help me detect the living, which could definitely be useful in the future.

And with good timing my breakfast has arrived in the barmaid's hands. As you know, I like my food hot.

TheDovahkiin

The Fabled Stealer Of Sweetrolls
I see you favor the mace! VERY nice weapon, but I made the switch to swords.

shongo3258

Vampire of Skyrim
hmm a day and a half since someone posted? what is going on here?

BIGwooly

- 25th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 202 -

This morning I set out to investigate an old tomb I discovered a while back. Given it's nordic design I figured there could be a word wall buried deep inside.

Upon entering the tomb I met a nord named Golldir. He was babbling quite a bit, but I made out that a dirty mage had entered the tomb to defile the bodies of Golldir's ancestors. I also ascertained that his brave aunt had gone in to stop the mage, but she hadn't been heard from since. Golldir wanted to go in and find her, and wanted me to accompany him if I didn't mind. His courage was ... lacking.

I agreed, of course, as I had already planned on entering. Now I had some additional protection.

We made our way inside and began encountering draugr. If it was at all difficult for Golldir to put down his ancestor's corpses, I couldn't tell. I did refrain from taking a single coin or valuable as we progressed through the catacombs. It just didn't feel right to take from Golldir's deceased relatives while he was standing there with me. In fact, I think I've decided to stop taking valuables from ruins and tombs. It's not really okay, as these nords were buried with their valuables for a purpose. Taking them makes me nothing more than a common looter .. and that I am not.

So we pressed on, and killed draugr after draugr after draugr.

Eventually we came to a large room with large sets of steps leading up to a door ... where I could see the mage standing plain as day. I took my bow from my back and notched an arrow. It was going to be a very long shot, so I had to aim it perfectly. And then, at the last moment, I released my breath and let the bowstring slowly relax.

The ceiling had caught my attention. It was covered in spiderweb, and there were four large openings in the ceiling. It was possible that there were one or more large spiders hiding above us, waiting to ambush their next meal.

And if not spiders, then something still wasn't right. All around the room I could see burial casks, and my sixth sense was screaming that the mage was the tip of the iceberg of the danger in here. So I had an idea. I had just learned a shout to detect the living and the undead. Well again, it was a whisper really. But it was perfect for a situation like this.

So with a whisper barely audible to my own ears, but one that sounded like a muffled shout, I called into action the power to detect my enemies. My stomach sank into my boots as the room lit up with faint red glows. The mage was lit, as I knew he would be. But I could see at least a dozen additional marks, likely all draugr. I barely breathed as I took in our situation. Had I let that arrow fly we could have been swarmed and overwhelmed by all the draugr.

As it was I decided we needed backup for this situation. So we retreated back to the entrance of the tomb and I left for Whiterun to see if Jenassa was up for another payment.

TamrielsSavior

The Dark Nord of Helgen
Work brotha .. work.
Doesn't it suck having work get in the way of our wonderful pastime?!

I know you are busy and don't have much time to read other people's journals, but I was hoping you could take a look at my restrictions and backstory and let me know what you think.

Always great to see what kind of trouble Hrisskar III has gotten himself into!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts