Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

shongo3258

Vampire of Skyrim
Just saw this. I actually have run into several daedric quests, but passed on all of them because that's Hrisskar's nature. I wrote about one or two of them I think.
What about the companions I would like to see what he would do when he learns there secret (trying to not give spoilers)

BIGwooly

Has anyone played the rule that when you die, you don't technically die, you've just been KTFO or collapsed from fatigue/blood loss. However you awake completely stripped of all your items? Except maybe for your coins which are kept hidden or in your house? I think I recall it being mentioned before on this. I might give it a go. Certainly a good deterrent for recklessness, and I think a very realistic way of dealing with loss.

Ooh, just thought, it could be enemy specific, so mages loot your magical items, warriors your weapons, and bears just rape you.

Someone mentioned it on here. I think it could work. I didn't go that direction with Hrisskar because I do eventually want to finish the main quest and if you lost everything every time you died I'd be playing this for years, lol.

BIGwooly

What about the companions I would like to see what he would do when he learns there secret (trying to not give spoilers)

Maybe. I'm not for or against it. All depends on how the game plays out. d;-)

osheao

you have freed me from my perfectionististism,lol.

this nord will not open locked chests.

thank you...

but, i will mark those chests...

i swear, i will... not...open
that
chest.

I have an idea for the dieing rule you have. If you die in a dungeon, set the difficulty down to adept, kill the people you killed before, take what you took before, then fast-travel to the nearest known inn. From there, you can spend that 300 gold.

TamrielsSavior

The Dark Nord of Helgen
I have an idea for the dieing rule you have. If you die in a dungeon, set the difficulty down to adept, kill the people you killed before, take what you took before, then fast-travel to the nearest known inn. From there, you can spend that 300 gold.
Wouldn't that just make it easier if you die since now there are fewer people to kill, and your loot pays for most of the 7 day healing spa treatment?

Dying is supposed to suck. It makes you play the game more thoughtfully. If you are in a bad spot and might not make it, run away and live to fight another day or pay the price for.your foolishness.

However, that breaks the imersion for me. If are already playing master with these restrictions, you don't have much cash. If I killed them before, shouldn't they be dead later? It's more of a buffer if anything. But aren't these restrictions supposed to instill fear and realism? I think that my idea enhances the realism. It's what I do, you don't have to if you don't want to.

BIGwooly

I recently revised my rules (you may not have noticed) so that on the event of a death I load the previous save (can be a manual save at an inn or an auto-save, whatever is the most recent) and then head straight to an inn for the rest period and 300 gold expenditure. I felt this was more realistic and I've been trying it this way for the past week or so. I'm liking it so far.

The key is to just play the game and not look for ways to abuse the system.

osheao

i hear what you are saying civ5.

how to deal with dying/reloading in rpg's is tuff. many don't deal with it at all and that's fine, as well. but, for me to redo the same stuff over and over again isn't realistic, either.

that's why i think penalties is the answer. you have to have a high enough penalty, yet, not go overboard.

i think that's why i lean towards the "lose all inventory" solution, as a minimum. it's most likely going to be harsh, unless, one regularly travels with their non-best gear, lol.

the gold amount is the particular i'm trying to work out. 300 is fine, but, i don't know bwooly's reasoning so i'm in the process of rationalizing my own figure.

BIGwooly

i hear what you are saying civ5.

how to deal with dying/reloading in rpg's is tuff. many don't deal with it at all and that's fine, as well. but, for me to redo the same stuff over and over again isn't realistic, either.

that's why i think penalties is the answer. you have to have a high enough penalty, yet, not go overboard.

i think that's why i lean towards the "lose all inventory" solution, as a minimum. it's most likely going to be harsh, unless, one regularly travels with their non-best gear, lol.

the gold amount is the particular i'm trying to work out. 300 is fine, but, i don't know bwooly's reasoning so i'm in the process of rationalizing my own figure.

I think the lose all inventory AND gold option is the best punishment other than dead-is-dead. If I hadn't already decided to go dead-is-dead for my next project I would totally do this. I think it's brilliant.

FYI, my reasoning on the 300 gold is that is about the amount it would cost me for food (3 meals) and a room for 7 days. Right now that amount is not a big deal for my character, but many other times during this playthrough 300 gold was a critical amount for me to lose.

I think the lose all inventory AND gold option is the best punishment other than dead-is-dead. If I hadn't already decided to go dead-is-dead for my next project I would totally do this. I think it's brilliant.

FYI, my reasoning on the 300 gold is that is about the amount it would cost me for food (3 meals) and a room for 7 days. Right now that amount is not a big deal for my character, but many other times during this playthrough 300 gold was a critical amount for me to lose.
If you have a follower when you die, do spend extra, or does the follower leave? Or somthing else?

osheao

@bwooly

ah, gotcha. i keep forgetting that 3rd meal rule you have, lol.

yep, inventory loss and gold is a great alternative to DiD.

DiD is a great way to play! lol! looking forward to your rules and writing.

osheao

If you have a follower when you die, do spend extra, or does the follower leave? Or somthing else?

i think xtra payment would be reasonable and expected, tbh.

at early levels, this would make a big difference. at later levels, the convenience of the companion/merc is a good penalty.

TamrielsSavior

The Dark Nord of Helgen
However, that breaks the imersion for me. If are already playing master with these restrictions, you don't have much cash. If I killed them before, shouldn't they be dead later? It's more of a buffer if anything. But aren't these restrictions supposed to instill fear and realism? I think that my idea enhances the realism. It's what I do, you don't have to if you don't want to.
You bring up a really good point with regards to realism and possible immersion breaking, although we are pretending we aren't dying in the first place! LOL

BIGwooly

Excellent question. With my new rule that paying for a merc is only good for 1 day, if I died while with a merc I would do this. I would assume the merc brought me back to the inn, but then left me to their care for the next week. Now, after that week of rest if I wanted to go back out and take the merc, I would have to hire them again.

osheao

Excellent question. With my new rule that paying for a merc is only good for 1 day, if I died while with a merc I would do this. I would assume the merc brought me back to the inn, but then left me to their care for the next week. Now, after that week of rest if I wanted to go back out and take the merc, I would have to hire them again.

and, pay em double, lol!
they deserved it, bless them.

i've restarted my nord loyalist with so many of bwooly's rules and my own and the game is unbelievably better!

BIGwooly

@bwooly

ah, gotcha. i keep forgetting that 3rd meal rule you have, lol.

yep, inventory loss and gold is a great alternative to DiD.

DiD is a great way to play! lol! looking forward to your rules and writing.

I love DiD. I've played it in Morrowind and Oblivion and can't wait to implement it again in Skyrim.

osheao

morrowind Did is insane.

since, it's already built into the game, lol.

skyrim is THE game that lead me to DiD. for all that i hate about skyrim (i expected the masterpiece of all-time) it lead me to DiD because of all of its weaknesses, lol.

i'm surmising and would guess that skyrim is the most accessible roleplaying game (consoles) ever.