Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BIGwooly

YAYMYOPINIONMADEADIFFERENCEYAAAAAAY

Really though, it's really cool to know that the community has some effect over how things play out.

As long as it's not a spoiler I'm open to anything. And depending on the information, if I feel I can incorporate it without breaking continuity or immersion or realism then I'm usually going to be all for it. Love you all for following and contributing.

TamrielsSavior

The Dark Nord of Helgen
As long as it's not a spoiler I'm open to anything. And depending on the information, if I feel I can incorporate it without breaking continuity or immersion or realism then I'm usually going to be all for it. Love you all for following and contributing.
Congrats on reaching message count 1000! Unbelievable and not done yet! Love it.

BIGwooly

Hey, I have been reading your journal since the start and love it! i just recently made an account on here so i could write one like yours. I know you get a lot of people doing the same (which is awesome), but I'd seriously appreciate it if you would check out my first entry and give me some feedback. Thanks for the great writing!;)
Kione - Child of Sithis (Character Diary) | Skyrim Forums

Thanks for the post. I appreciate it. I will try and check out your journal but as I've posted before I have a really busy work schedule (run my own business) so I barely get time to play and write this journal as it is. I'll try, though. If I can't swing it, there are several others on here that are awesome and will probably give you great feedback. Good luck!

osheao

Thanks for the post. I appreciate it. I will try and check out your journal but as I've posted before I have a really busy work schedule (run my own business) so I barely get time to play and write this journal as it is. I'll try, though. If I can't swing it, there are several others on here that are awesome and will probably give you great feedback. Good luck!

how do you deal with encumbrance?

TamrielsSavior

The Dark Nord of Helgen
how to you deal with encubrance?
I can't speak for Wooly, but for my character it is always a littlbe bit of these 2:

Being very selective with what you carry back, and LOTS of trips back and forth if you need the money for something. Remember, though, this is about what makes the game fun for you. Just do what feels right for your character/style, that is what's important.

BIGwooly

Wow, this is just amazing! I'm only up to about page thirty, but if you're okay with it I've been so inspired by you to start an account and make my own diary! I'll keep reading for now, you really know how to engage the reader!

I'm really honored. Thank you. And by all means start your own journal. As much as all of the play restrictions increase the immersion, the journal adds another level of immersion I think. Glad you enjoy the it and best of luck with yours!

BIGwooly

how to you deal with encubrance?

Well, first off I can only carry 30% of what the game allows. So right now that comes out to 106 (game allows 355 and I round down on the math).

So as TamrielsSavior mentioned, you just have to be very selective. Hrisskar never received any sort of formal combat training. He's learning as he goes. So for him it's essential that he is fully armored, and he wears heavy armor only so that really takes up a lot of his carry capacity.

Beyond his armor, mace and bow he carries a set of clothing, a few important potions, a few filled soul gems and a torch. And that's about it.

Once I've cleared out a place I can carry an extra 10% back to my horse to load onto my horse. So that's an extra 35 I can carry. But while carrying this extra amount I cannot sneak and I cannot have a shield or weapon out. It is assumed that I've got both hands full hauling things the 'loot' out. Because of this rule it's very important that I clear a place out completely or else I could get caught in a fight without the ability to actually fight. Obviously I would drop everything so that I could get into the fight, but still, it's a risky situation.

As for making multiple trips to bring back valuables, I don't really do that anymore. Earlier in the journal I did, because I was flat broke all the time. Now I have a decent amount of gold so I don't usually make multiple trips unless the location is fairly close to a city.

Now, I have been toying with the idea of carry around bricks of iron to enforce the carry capacity. In other words, if my carry ability is rated at 106, but the game allows 355, then that's 249 that the game would still allow. So if I was carrying 249 bricks of iron then I would have no choice but to carry 106 of anything else. Now, I wouldn't do this to make sure I don't cheat, because that's not an issue. BUT .. what this does do is slow me down more realistically. So if I was carrying my max weight of 106 then my character would actually be pretty slow, which is realistic.

I like the idea, but then it gets complicated if I want to carry anything back to my horse. I would have to leave iron bricks behind, and then buy more .. like 35 more. Not easy to find that many plus to have to pay for them.

Anyways, if you have any other specific questions about it just let me know.

TamrielsSavior

The Dark Nord of Helgen
Now, I have been toying with the idea of carry around bricks of iron to enforce the carry capacity. In other words, if my carry ability is rated at 106, but the game allows 355, then that's 249 that the game would still allow. So if I was carrying 249 bricks of iron then I would have no choice but to carry 106 of anything else. Now, I wouldn't do this to make sure I don't cheat, because that's not an issue. BUT .. what this does do is slow me down more realistically. So if I was carrying my max weight of 106 then my character would actually be pretty slow, which is realistic.

I like the idea, but then it gets complicated if I want to carry anything back to my horse. I would have to leave iron bricks behind, and then buy more .. like 35 more. Not easy to find that many plus to have to pay for them.
You could always use all sorts of random junk, like ruined books, ancient nord weapons, especially 2-handed. That way there is a lot less to dump or rebuy and you wouldn't ever use it either.

BIGwooly

- 3rd of Evening Star, 4E 202 -

This morning I set out to locate the ruins I set out to find nearly a week ago. Once again I rode deep into the mountains above Solitude. I reached the ruins I had just gone through recently, checked my map, and headed out. The other set of ruins was close by.

But after being chased by forsworn and skeevers, and then full on attacked by a crazed mage, I was lost in the mountains and hadn't found the ruins. I knew how to get back to the other ruins, so I headed that direction. This time I avoided the forsworn and the skeevers.

No sooner had I done so when the earth shook beneath my horse and I. I tightened my grip on the reigns and turned the horse around to see that we were face to face with an enormous frost dragon. A blast of icy breath confirmed for me that it was a frost dragon.

Not in the mood to tackle a dragon by myself deep in the mountains, I turned my horse back around and kicked his sides. He bolted forward as another blast of icy breath enveloped us. I kept my heels dug in tightly and headed us for some nearby trees. Another burst of frost magic surround us and this time I noticed that we had slowed down. The ice was taking it toll on my horse and pretty soon it would be completely immobilized.

With no choice I jumped from the horse and turned back toward the dragon. I sprinted toward it, and as it spoke another magic attack at me I blocked it with my shield. I could feel the power of the dragon's words buffeting off the metal of my shield, and I knew in that moment this was going to be a difficult fight.

For the rest of the day I fought the dragon. Across grassy meadows, through pockets of trees, in and around clusters of boulders. The dragon was powerful, and hurt me severely on more than one occasion. I did what I could to use my voice and my shield and my mace to end the fight, but the dragon kept coming.

It wasn't until evening was settling in, while I was behind a large rock trying to recover some of my health while the dragon bore down one me, that my luck finally turned. Suddenly the dragon spun around and lumbered off in the opposite direction. I peered around the rock, trying to figure out what had gotten it's attention.

Forsworn. I could see several of them clamoring down some old stone steps to meet the dragon. Arrows and magic filled the air between them. I smiled inside my helmet, happy to let the forsworn do my dirty work for me. But as the fight continued I noticed a horse had ended up right in the middle of it. My horse.

I sprinted across the meadow with every ounce of speed I had. The screeches of the dragon mixed with the screams of my horse and assaulted my ears. I felt like I was in a dream, watching everything happen in front of me but unable to get there.

But it wasn't a dream and I finally made it. I immediately struck the dragon's back as another forsworn fell dead to his breath. The dragon turned and bit at me with it's vicious jaws, but I just barely managed to block him. I struck him again, and then saw an opening to use my shout of force against him. The shout knocked the dragon down, and I went after him with double the effort.

With blood in my eyes I landed a final blow on the beast, and it fell dead at my feet. As it's scales burned away and it's soul swirled around me, a forsworn woman appeared out of nowhere and struck me with an axe. I recovered in time to block the next blow, and then we went at each other with heavy-handed weaponry. But the woman was already injured and I was able to overpower her after a few minutes.

Thoroughly exhausted, I made my way up the old stone steps to see where they led, and I arrived at a large iron door with a familiar symbol molded into it. I had found the ruins .. purely by accident.

But it was late now, so I gathered up what I could and got back on my horse. I had spent most of the day fighting a dragon and wasn't in any shape to take on the draugr that surely awaited me behind the old nord door. As darkness and bitter cold settled over me I made my way back to Solitude .. and to a warm meal .. a cold drink .. and a soft bed.

BIGwooly

You could always use all sorts of random junk, like ruined books, ancient nord weapons, especially 2-handed. That way there is a lot less to dump or rebuy and you wouldn't ever use it either.

Yeah, I've considered that too. Still thinking it through. Probably a better idea than ingots of iron, lol.

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
My suggestion: Dwemer ruins.

Things like Dwemer cogs and gears are heavy, cheap (so no resale value), easy to distinguish from non-Dwemer stuff that you might actually be gathering to sell at market, and has no real uses other than smelting into dwarven metal ingots. That's actually a rather clever idea, deliberately loading yourself down with junk so that you can enforce the carrying capacity.

Sjadbek: "Hrisskar, you just keep losing horses, don't you? Here, have a mug of mead on me."

BIGwooly

My suggestion: Dwemer ruins.

Things like Dwemer cogs and gears are heavy, cheap (so no resale value), easy to distinguish from non-Dwemer stuff that you might actually be gathering to sell at market, and has no real uses other than smelting into dwarven metal ingots. That's actually a rather clever idea, deliberately loading yourself down with junk so that you can enforce the carrying capacity.

Sjadbek: "Hrisskar, you just keep losing horses, don't you? Here, have a mug of mead on me."

Yeah, what I like about it is not so much enforcing the carrying capacity, but having the weight actually slow my character down. Sometimes I feel like it's too easy to run away from enemies in the game. Anyways, it's just an idea at the moment, but we'll see how it goes.

lmao at Sjadbek! Mead accepted.

BIGwooly

- 5th of Evening Star, 4E 202 -

It is dawn.

The soft warm breath of the morning sun kisses my skin and paints light across the carnage in front of me.

redoubtbodies.jpg

Yesterday I spent the day riding back out to the ruins and fighting my way through the forsworn I found inside. I noticed the thin piece of twine on the equipment chest and avoided the spears that would have skewered me. I spotted the giant spiked wall before I saw the pressure plate just ahead of my foot. I snuck up on the forsworn mage and struck her down as she awoke to the sound of my boots approaching her bed. And after many hours I found a door that I knew would lead back outside. I could feel the cold air sneaking in underneath the door.

As expected, the door led outside. I halfway expected it to lead to nothing, and for a moment I wasn't disappointed. I was in a circular courtyard, not very large in size. And there was nothing of interest. But then I noticed what looked like an opening in the wall .. just barely spotted it. And as I stepped through the opening I laid my eyes on a large nordic ruin nestled within the mountains themselves.

redoubtruins.jpg

It was only late afternoon. I had plenty of time to continue. So I stepped forward .. and then froze. I had seen movement, and as my eyes adjusted to the brightness of the outside world I realized the ruins were now a stronghold for the forsworn. I could see at least a half dozen of them patrolling the ruins. And I was sure there were more I couldn't see.

With the shadow of a tree concealing me I studied the patterns of the forsworn warriors, and considered my options. After some time I came to the conclusion that I would need to wait for darkness to make my move. So I waited .. and waited .. and waited, as the sun took what seemed like an eternity to bid the world goodnight.

But eventually it did, and the darkness gave me comfort and courage. A swift river crossed in front of the ruins, and a single bridge ran across it. I could see no other way to reach the ruins than with a direct approach. So I took to the bridge and kept my eyes on the men on the walls.

But it wasn't dark enough. The heavens were alive with light, and it foiled my infiltration. The men on the walls shouted out and men inside unsheathed their weapons. I was in for a fight, and it would not be a fair one.

Throughout the night we fought, me against a constant onslaught of forsworn. Our shields rang out as the stars passed overhead and the shadows slowly shifted. Our weapons spilled blood as the hours ached by. And now, as the dawn's light warms my soul I can't take my eyes from my handiwork. More than a dozen forsworn threw themselves during the dark hours, and yet I still stand .. just barely.

osheao

Well, first off I can only carry 30% of what the game allows. So right now that comes out to 106 (game allows 355 and I round down on the math).

So as TamrielsSavior mentioned, you just have to be very selective. Hrisskar never received any sort of formal combat training. He's learning as he goes. So for him it's essential that he is fully armored, and he wears heavy armor only so that really takes up a lot of his carry capacity.

Beyond his armor, mace and bow he carries a set of clothing, a few important potions, a few filled soul gems and a torch. And that's about it.

Once I've cleared out a place I can carry an extra 10% back to my horse to load onto my horse. So that's an extra 35 I can carry. But while carrying this extra amount I cannot sneak and I cannot have a shield or weapon out. It is assumed that I've got both hands full hauling things the 'loot' out. Because of this rule it's very important that I clear a place out completely or else I could get caught in a fight without the ability to actually fight. Obviously I would drop everything so that I could get into the fight, but still, it's a risky situation.

As for making multiple trips to bring back valuables, I don't really do that anymore. Earlier in the journal I did, because I was flat broke all the time. Now I have a decent amount of gold so I don't usually make multiple trips unless the location is fairly close to a city.

Anyways, if you have any other specific questions about it just let me know.

very nice forced encumbrance. forced encumbrance is something i need, lol. otherwise, it becomes a chore and not a regular part of the game. very nice.

if i could only fix the freakin h.u.d., lol

BIGwooly

very nice forced encumbrance. forced encumbrance is something i need, lol. otherwise, it becomes a chore and not a regular part of the game. very nice.

if i could only fix the freakin h.u.d., lol

Just turn it off .. 0%. At first it can seem like too much of a challenge, but if you give it time you'll never want to play with it on again. It's awesome without it. d;-)