• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Let’s talk about this new feature. What do you think?

For me its success will depend on whether it is a meaningful addition to the experience or just some little gimmick. Will it change the game? Will other characters treat me differently? Will this relationship play a role in quests? These sort of things. I believe that it has potential but to which degree that potential will be tapped remains to be seen. I’ll be optimistic.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I see it as a nice way of diversifying the ways you can interact with NPCs. I guess there's like 4 types of NPCs in the game: the quest giver, merchant, dummy, and companions.

It's just another form of companions and I think it's nice that they put another form of interacting with NPCs, this time being more intimate. I don't count on Bethesda to make it one of the best features in the game but I think it's pretty nice. Mods can explore this feature and make it even more interesting. I know there's a lot of people who thinks marriage in-game is weird, if not creepy, and that's understandable. But I think people should be more open to this new way of interaction.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Yep. It would be great if Bethesda could achieve the kind of deep experience between NPC and player like games such as “Mass Effect” did. That’s one of the greatest things a developer can get: Players appreciating their companions and actually feeling for them.

MellowGuy

I think it adds to the immersion and more to your character's story. I enjoyed Fable series for having that family feature. I also don't think it will change the game and should only have minimal effects (if any) on the main quests. I personally don't think its weird or creepy and would look forward to that feature.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Glad you guys think marriage is a great feature. Of course there will be limitation but I think it's go pretty well with Elder Scroll games. To be fair, there's a lot of people out there who takes in-game marriage a bit further than necessary 0_0 And mods will exploit marriage a lot. Should be interesting what they come up with

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Seeing how there will be children in the game (immortal ones but whatever ;p) we might be able to found a family. Or, at the very least, this is something that would become one of the first mods.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Seeing how there will be children in the game (immortal ones but whatever ;p) we might be able to found a family. Or, at the very least, this is something that would become one of the first mods.
oh that's just plain silly in my opinion. It takes years to raise a baby. Also, who's going to take care of that baby while you're out fighting dragons? You'll have it taken away from you for child neglect and have to pay child support too ;]

but it would be interesting implementing the offspring based on the parents. In the lore, the child would be the race of its mother. It's unknown whether Argonians and Khajiit can breed with other races though.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Huh, good point. How about adopting an older child then? That could work out. Although, admittedly, it wouldn’t be of much “use”, I suppose.

Oh and while we don’t know whether Argonians can produce offspring with other races we do know that they don’t mind trying xD

MellowGuy

It looks like they'll also add some humorous complications to the marriage system. Here's a quote from Todd Howard from the skyrimguilds site, on some of the things that can happen:

"Todd Howard explains “When you get married, you can decide where you live – if you own a house, your spouse can move in with you, or you can move in with them,” – each decision you make in your marriage has a consequence. Howard continues with “So I had owned a house in the city of Whiterun, and asked her, ‘OK we should live there.’ I went there, and she hadn’t arrived yet, so I decided to wait – I slept.” As he woke he noticed someone else in the house with him and his wife, her secret admirer had just walked out of the bedroom with her.

That is pretty hilarious. I'd kill that guy instantly.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
It looks like that was just an error though that resulted from a missing notification of this NPC that the woman was now married to the player. It’s not like they included infidelity in the game. Although that might be interesting ...

MellowGuy

Infidelity in games aren't that uncommon. From what I remember in Fable 2, your married character can lead a new lover from a distant land right back to your home. Your wife and the new woman would follow you around etc..

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Interesting thing is that NPC interaction is interpreted by players even when there's no explicit programming while designing the game. That's what's so great about TES. They give an open world with NPCs set out to do their own thing. In Oblivion, the NPCs didn't do much but stand around, move, talk to random NPCs and sleep. That's still a lot though. Even though they do get into weird and boring conversation, their presence really made the game pretty great. It's nice to know that NPCs will be doing more things this time. It has a lot of possibilities and who knows what kind of story you'll write every time you play the game.

Jeruhmi

I think it's benefits should be things like maybe being able to do events and stuff together, aswell as gaining their income/bank balance.
I found it kind of weird to be married in Fable 2 (I know, I keep referring to Fable 2) but it was funny at best.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Interesting thing is that NPC interaction is interpreted by players even when there's no explicit programming while designing the game.
Yep and this incident is a pretty good example for that. The male NPC in question didn’t think that he was committing infidelity since he wasn’t aware of this concept of marriage. But the player (who only saw that another man got close to his wife) obviously interpreted it as such. I’m sure there will be a lot of other situations in the game where “neutral” (as in: unintended) NPC behavior will be construed as something else by the player.

N3w_2_$kyr1min

Can't wait for Skyrim
They could really make such a thing so much more than a gimmick, such as being able to cheat/be cheated on/caught etc. or pick fights with guys who try to hit on your wife. xD Actually share your money with her, so you two may have a house together (you should lol!) and sometimes she'll use small amounts of your money for house decorations/food/drinks etc. or perhaps she could have a job somewhere and actually have an income as well as you. Being able to have kids as well would be cool.. and also having a proper wedding ceremony as well etc. having to buy her a ring to propose. xD

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Oh man, if they did all that, it would be like Sims. I don't think a lot of people would buy into that but I know there will be mods similar to what you described, N3w. I don't think Dovakin would have time to be a family man when there's save-the-world to do.

Jeruhmi

Well if it does happen then I am assuming the wife will always stay at home, which would suck.
I hope they make it so she does stuff.

N3w_2_$kyr1min

Can't wait for Skyrim
Oh man, if they did all that, it would be like Sims. I don't think a lot of people would buy into that but I know there will be mods similar to what you described, N3w. I don't think Dovakin would have time to be a family man when there's save-the-world to do.

The game obviously wouldn't be centred on it like the sims is, just another awesome feature lol. xD

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts