• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Imperials or Stormcloak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Metas

Redguard Battlemage
I swear if I have to hear another pompous ass elf or that rich Imperial farmer guy in Whiterun talk down to me one more time I'm going to stick a f***ing arrow in them and every single one of their guards. That, and "He's not on the list, ma'm' 'Kill him anyway." has, as someone on page 1 has said, had me seeking revenge for the whole game. Honestly, who loses to an army of elves? ELVES?!? Half of them are too "important" to fight! Skyrim may be the only game I despise elves in(WoW-every single character :D) Let me add that I only dislike Elves who are with the imperials.

I went Stormcloaks(Finally chose a side on one of my characters)and finished their questline. I hear a lot of bad things about them, but I still can't get over the wanting to chop of my head for no reason...

^^^ i used the call storm and it somehow struck him...by the beard of zues!!

that one guy

i always go for the stormcloaks for a few things...
1 because of"he's not on the list ma'am... all of you know the rest.
2 the stormcloaks fit me evan tho im a kahjiit.( on most of my playthrues.sorry for the spelling)
3 thay may be a little racist but so are the Imperials.
dont get me wrong i have nothing agenst the Imperials i just...i dont know i guess i just like them but i will make a few of my charecters Imperials and side with them. plus i want ravenge for the beheading.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
The Black Marsh, Elsweyr and Hammerfell have all suceded from the Empire. Valenwood was taken over in a coup by the Thalmor Dominion. High Rock was sacked by Hammerfell. Much of Morrowind has been taken over by the Argonians and Vvardenfell is now uninhabitable.

Skyrim is the last gamble for the Empire. Point being; there is no other province left in the Empire. Other than Cyrodiil obviously.

I hope the Empire survives though. I kinda like them as the 'cops' of TES.

You've forgotten about High Rock.

FenrirofSatan

TheMan TheMyth TheLegend
I disagree with a lot of what you say, unfortunately.

I view a war with the Thalmor in favor of the Nords (If Skyrim successfully revolts)..

It's pretty common knowledge, and phenotypical that the Nords are born and natural warriors, they are primitive, and Conservative in some ways.

I view the Nords as your typical "Rebel" during the American Civil War, fighting for their home, fighting till the death, fighting for their kinsmen, and fighting for their own honor and glory.

I view the Imperials as a simple soldier, not too brave, but prone to giving up more easily versus a Nord in combat.

I think if Ulfric and his Stormcloaks successfully scared away the Empire, he'd immediately take the fight to the Aldmeri Dominion with full force... Also, Ulfric is not powerhungry, and never did murder the king... Ulfric Stormcloak wants the best for his country, and he viewed High King Torygg as weak, and challenged him to combat. However, he used the power of the Thu'um to force Torygg to submission and killed him...

Torygg could have learned the Way of the Voice, as any other Nord can. And according to Ulfric only the dedicated and determined of the Nords will travel to the Greybeards and learn Thu'um.

I also liked what Ulfric said about the High Kings, that most High Kings (Under the Empire), are appointed by the Imperial Emperor... And that the Empire has bought the favor of the Jarls because of the Jarl's greed.

Did you take into account the fact that Ulfric is motivated by lust and greed and his obsession with a Nazi wipeout of all races besides Nord? That didn't bode well with me, at least.

But, then again...there is the side of me that makes me want to destroy the Imperials because they almost killed me in the beginning.

Pretty understandable how its hard to choose a side though...explains how this thread will most likely continue into an endless debate that creates migraines for all of us :D

Skyrimosity

If you play the quest as Stormcloak, Ulfric will give you nicknames and thank you for all your work for the cause. Just the feeling that he actually CARED if my High Elf died in glorious battle turned my conjuration and bow toward those imperials. Plus, as I said, the empire are weak spineless dogs and if Skyrim secedes there army in fact WON'T be much smaller and in fact will have LESS area to defend which actually means a BETTER chance of success against the Thalmor. PLus, Ulfric says he will have peace with the Empire once they're out of Skyrim and will work to restore Skyrim to it's former glory. So in all likelihood, all non-elven controlled provinces will work together against the Thalmor even if they don't all belong to the Empire.

Did you take into account the fact that Ulfric is motivated by lust and greed and his obsession with a Nazi wipeout of all races besides Nord? That didn't bode well with me, at least.

But, then again...there is the side of me that makes me want to destroy the Imperials because they almost killed me in the beginning.

Pretty understandable how its hard to choose a side though...explains how this thread will most likely continue into an endless debate that creates migraines for all of us :D

Give me evidence that Ulfric is motivated by lust and greed.

And not once did he say he wanted to wipe out any races...

He said Skyrim belongs to the Nords, and he isn't wrong, the Nords were there first..

Panthera

Don Gato
When comes to picking sides I must say in my case that depends what race I play. If I would start playing Nord I would go for Stormcloaks, when comes to other races then I would go to Imperial aid. I don't see any reason why would any other race than Nord join to Stormcloaks.

The corruption that's present in the game is well shown as well. I've had a few times where Imperials will demand money from me as I walk down the road, like bandits, and although all government gains corruption to have the soldiers be disobedient enough to force money from people is a huge problem.

Those Imperials actually are bandits in Imperial disguise... You will mostly find next to them 3 naked tied up guys.

Lastly, and most important to myself, when I look at the movement of the Stormcloaks and who they are, I see the American Revolution. Yes, our country would have been stable and have more support if we did not rebel against the British Empire, but we wanted our society to have the rights in which we believed to the core, and to have our country guided by a government that was not even apart of our nation seemed useless. The Stormcloaks represent this well.

I don't see it that way... When you look who colonized Brithish part of America... those were people from Britain (English, Scottish, Irish and so on). You were ruled by your own people, having the same religion (Protestant and Catholic) and same language. While Nords suffer from other race which they have their own opinion about religion and forcing on them. I see it more like when Serbs, Greeks and Bulgarians (Christians) fight for freedom from Ottoman Empire (Muslim).

Drazker

Son of Sithis
There is so much proof that Ulfric is, in fact, just power-hungry. If you ask Elisif about Torygg and Ulfric, she says something along the lines of, "if Ulfric would have asked Torygg to secede, he would have". To me, this is a huge point. Elisif doesn't seem the lying type and really has no reason to stretch the truth.

Torygg didn't secede after the White-Gold Concordant because he knew Skyrim needed the Empire's supplies and economic support. Ulfric simply wanted to be the hero of Skyrim and oust the Empire so he could get his own personal revenge on the elves, having been a participant in the Great War.

swanqueen

First time through I sided with the stormcloacks because of the beheading thing and the no Talos thing... but now that I'm a Dark Elf the Nord racism and the whole Forsworn thing in Markarth.Well if you do that quest there you will hate the nords.

The way I see it is this:
White-Gold Concordat = Treaty of Versailles
Banning of Talos worship = De-militarization of Germany
Promise to reinstate Talos worship = promise to rearm Germany
Nord supremacy = Aryan supremacy
see what I'm getting at?

btw has anyone joined the Stormcloacks playing as an Imperial? is anything different? just curious.

Dvalin

The way I see it is this:
White-Gold Concordat = Treaty of Versailles
Banning of Talos worship = De-militarization of Germany
Promise to reinstate Talos worship = promise to rearm Germany
Nord supremacy = Aryan supremacy
see what I'm getting at?

btw has anyone joined the Stormcloacks playing as an Imperial? is anything different? just curious.

I see where you're going and here's how you're wrong.

-White Gold Concordat = Vichi France (WE GIVE UP! YOU WIN!, Whatever you want Hitl....Thalmor)

-The Banning of Talos worship = next step of the Aldmari Dominion. Dominion (We're better than you ie we shall Dominate you) THAT is where you should be pointing your finger on supremacy.

As for "Nord supremacy", I don't see that anywhere in the game...are you refering to "Skyrim is for the Nords"? Would "Scottland is for the Scotts", "Morrowind is for the Dumner", or "Hammerfell is for the Redguards" be any less applicable? Were there evidence that the Nords wished to spread to the rest of Tamriel and make everyone follow their way then yes, they would be akin to the Nazis, but...wait..Oh yea....The THALMOR did that..

I already hear Gray Quarter arguments heading my way so here is my arguement. Anyone non-Nord in Windhelm is viewed as a spy, not trusted, and are forced to live in specific locations relative to ther race. This is not so different than the mentality of the American Government during WWII toward Japanese citizens when entire families were forced to live in camps. Was it appauling? Of course it was. Does that mean I choose the other side? No. Although Nords distrust mer in general, that perticular situation is more likely a product of the recent conflict.

Consider the Stormcloak situation. The war was faught, the Empire surrendered. They are falling back on the only thing that has not failed them so far, their heritage, as EVERY CULTURE DOES.

The Empire being whole is NOT the best hope of fighting the Thalmor. (SPOILER)That war was already faught, the Empire lost. That's the whole reason there is a civil war.

brandon

as other people have said already. ulfric did not murder the high king. he used his thuum to subdue the gaurds and then challenged the high king to open combat. as for him being power hungry: no he is not. after you win he goes back to windhelm and is waiting for the moot to decide who should be the next high king. i have played both sides of the civil war. a dark elf with the imperials and an argonian with the stormcloaks. ulfric has way more honor then general tullius does. ulfric asked that the dragonborne kills him because it will make for a better song. general tullius gets hit once and tries to surrender. your then givin the chance to let him live. i didnt let him live as a statement to the empire. if you kill them all sooner or later they will stop coming. as far as the rebellion goes. i see it as more along the lines of the american revelution mixed with the other wars the brittish were fighting in at the time. the thalmore do want a weakend skyrim but what kind of skyrim will be weaker? a skyrim under the rule of the empire? or a skyrim under the rule of skyrim? i think skyrim ruling itself will be able to handel the thalmore better being ruled by a strong nord then it would if it was being led by a weak money hungry imperial implaced high king. and the rewards for winning fights are worth around the same amount of gold. but ulfrics rewards have more of a sentimental value to him. theyre weapons and armor hes taken away from fights hes won or presents from other people. so to me thats saying alot more then just good job. and i have played both sides.

brandon

So my character is an Orc. Would it make more sense to be Imperial over Stormcloak?
it doesnt matter what race you play the stormcloaks will love you just the same. yeah you might have one person talk plops to you. but beat him up and hell leave you alone. but play for whichever side you like.

KageTheThief

Alchemist & Stealth Thief
Seems to me that Stormcloaks are the side to side with. As much as I love the empire ruled holds, I think The Stormcloaks have a greater chance of helping Skyrim other then being like the imperial milk drinkers. Imperials basically sit around and let things happen, but if Ulfric were to be in charge, I could see him making the greater good choices for Skyrim, and Talos, a great warrior, would no longer have his worship in vein.

J

Jeremius

seriously? There is a whole thread on this, but I would not recommend reading it.

In the end, Just do a little RP of the choice, establishing an in-character reason for it.

KageTheThief

Alchemist & Stealth Thief
The Imperials abandoned every province but Cyrodil when things went bad.

During the Great War, the Legions didn't leave Hammerfell until the last year of the war. Things went bad during the first year, yet Legions upon Legions went into Hammerfell the same as Cyrodiil.

In regards to Morrowind being abandoned. That was because majority of the Legions were in the provinces. Cyrodiil was the least defended at the time, and suffered the worst of the invasion. Many Legions were recalled to reinforce Cyrodiil. Oblivion Gates opened right in the middle some Imperial forces, wiping many out.

They FORCED Hammerfell to secede from the Empire when Hammerfell refused the White-Gold Concordat and fought the Thalmor.

Hammerfell forced the Empire to release them. They had refused Imperial rule, with the Legions unable to even leave Cyrodiil for two years. The Empire had the choice to either, reject the treaty and the Empire falls apart due to internal problems such as riots and loss of control. Or they could invade and attack the Redguards to comply with the treaty. Better to release them.

Plus, Ulfric treats you like an invaluable GOD, not some lowdown soldier who should bow to the might of the Empire. Not to mention, kinda hypocritical to join the Legion and then kill the Emperor.

Ulfric treats you like a political tool, using you to further himself in his last speech. Tullius treats you like a Legionnaire because that is how they are, they fight as one. What makes your character more special than the Nord/Imperial Legionnaires who stormed the forts with you.

It isn't really hypocritical to join the Legion and kill the Emperor. Talos Cult comes to mind, members of the Legion were planning on assassinating Uriel VII.

Imagine how Hammerfell is, or Blackmarsh...

Hammerfell. Devastated, left with half of their province in ruins?

Black Marsh... well they killed everyone they considered tainted by outsider influence. So I wouldn't use that one as a role model.

seriously? There is a whole thread on this, but I would not recommend reading it.

Yeah, but people like creating new threads. Nothing wrong with it, also gets the topic on track. The other thread mainly derails every seven posts.

You have a great way of looking at this. I mainly prefer Stormcloaks because they seem more likely to shape up skyrim, but your opinion is very unique and I value it.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts