• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Imperials or Stormcloak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mabe

I went Imperial. I am playing an Orc and the Orcs have strong ties to the legion historically. I too hate the Thalmor and have hated fighting more or less on their side. Overall I don't think it matters much of the Imperials or Thalmor control skyrim. The Notes are so battle ready and tough as nails that any occupation would be very hard to maintain for long.

jam

I went Imperial, because of the pure racism I saw in the stormcloaks. I honestly don't think anyone, except for maybe a nord, should be a stormcloak.

I also like to walk around in Ulfric's clothing.

Daggers

Imperials: Signed the White-Gold Concordat which banned worship of Talos, not racist. Believes that Skyrim should be a part of the Empire's beliefs and customs. I believe you get armor as quest rewards during the chain quests. Solitude blacksmith gives you a choice (Light, Medium or Heavy) Light is Light Armor+light shield. Not sure about Medium. Heavy is Heavy Armor+Heavy Shield. Medium is probably a variant between the two.

Stormcloaks: Racist (Gray-Quarter, Gray-Skins, "We should have a big hole, throw all the Elves and the Argonians in it then let them fight to the death"). Believes that Skyrim is for the Nords and they feel that their Nord way of life is threatened. I believe you get weapons as quest rewards during the chain quests. I don't think you get a heavy armor Stormcloak armor. Regular Stormcloak (Fur boots, Fur Gauntlets, Hide helmet and Stormcloak Cuirass), Stormcloak Officer (Stormcloak Officer helm, gauntlets, armor and boots).

Quests are similar for both sides with the exception of a few (Siding with Imperials means you defend Whiterun while siding with Stormcloaks mean you attack Whiterun).

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
They are Impudents and Stormdorks in my eyes. I wish yes-man was in this game haha

Zaknafein

I'm at a complete loss as to which faction to join, and I don't think I know enough about either one to make a decision. What did you choose and what are the pros and cons of joining the Imperials or the Stormcloaks?

I have played though all of the imperial and just started the Stormcloaks.
My advice... Go Stormcloaks. If you have ever watched Brave Heart I think you can get a character vibe off of the Stormcloaks. If you hang out around the Jarls you begin to find they are money hungry people who are unsettled by the Imperial situation. They all speak somewhat to both sides yet they do nothing to support a movement to empower Skyrim as an independent state (which usual means they were made too comfortable by the imperials to risk rebellion). Also, you are Dragonborn. A title that holds great value to traditional Nords and the imperials seem to see it as more of a weapon and less of a honorable legend. I did speak to Ulfric and asked him about other races, figuring since he was the leader and all I could get the idea from the man himself. He said he was against anyone who would support the empire and keep freedom away from the people, nothing about Nords being the only important race.

Just a warning though, Lidia wont join you in the battle for Windhelm. Pi$$ed me off. I guess being a Thane wasn't good enough. She showed up at the end like (Oh here I am, honored to serve you my Thane, Blah blah blah) Yeah you wouldn't fight with me on the battle lines and not that your home team lost you're all honored to be my House Carl!!! the next time a Dragon comes she's toast! lol

RangerChad

I've had the same problem, but I recently joined the Stormcloaks. My overall outlook on the situation shows that both have their positives and negatives. At first, I was think to join the Imperials because looking at the extreme revolt at first seemed idiotic, especially with the current situation an order and strong, striving government was needed. The other part I liked about the Imperials was after meeting Elisif (Jarl and future Empress in Solitude), she seemed like she understood the negatives that were seen by those who supported the Stormcloaks and was a very orderly and respectful person.

I ended up siding with the Stormcloaks for a few main reasons. The Imperials seemed to be collapsing already, they have surrendered to the elves (I forget the name of that army) and agreed to remove Talos, a god that was the most famous of Dragonborns. Yes, I can understand some of the terms that would be dealt, but also not having much knowledge of the previous war, I don't see a reason to why the Imperials would have to surrender or give up the name? The failure in that war makes me think that the Imperials are already starting to dissolve. The corruption that's present in the game is well shown as well. I've had a few times where Imperials will demand money from me as I walk down the road, like bandits, and although all government gains corruption to have the soldiers be disobedient enough to force money from people is a huge problem. Lastly, and most important to myself, when I look at the movement of the Stormcloaks and who they are, I see the American Revolution. Yes, our country would have been stable and have more support if we did not rebel against the British Empire, but we wanted our society to have the rights in which we believed to the core, and to have our country guided by a government that was not even apart of our nation seemed useless. The Stormcloaks represent this well. Yes they're a bit racist, though they will accept others after they trust them, and the Stormcloaks bringing order back to Skyrim will be a difficult one, but I side with them because they know that the way their nation is being abused by the Imperials is not the way they wish to live, the Jarls are tyrants with too much power and the Stormcloaks are there to finally bring some equality to the people's needs and wants in their society.

The True question I have, is what will come after this? In the end other nations around Skyrim will see this, and just like the American Revolution will other nations realize that if another nation can do it, so can we?

The Imperials that are asking for money, are not really Imperials. I have had this happen to me a number of times, I refused and killed them. I checked their inventory and it does not match up with a typical arrangement of most Imperials. Upon exploring the area I found a few dead real Imperial soldiers that had been looted.

The True question I have, is what will come after this? In the end other nations around Skyrim will see this, and just like the American Revolution will other nations realize that if another nation can do it, so can we?

The Black Marsh, Elsweyr and Hammerfell have all suceded from the Empire. Valenwood was taken over in a coup by the Thalmor Dominion. High Rock was sacked by Hammerfell. Much of Morrowind has been taken over by the Argonians and Vvardenfell is now uninhabitable.

Skyrim is the last gamble for the Empire. Point being; there is no other province left in the Empire. Other than Cyrodiil obviously.

I hope the Empire survives though. I kinda like them as the 'cops' of TES.

Sometimes i forgot about the political sensiblities of ppl, sorry bout that.

And yeah, imperials aren`t capitalist in the political way, but in the economic and motivational one, waging war wherever is a conflict to gain lands, laborpower and resources.

And Stormcloacks ARE racists, the only thing they miss is a KKK pointy hat lol.

As much as I hate to discuss politics..

Capitalism isn't about waging war to grab land...

Capitalism is a form of economics in which you succeed through an "Economic Survival of the Fittest"

The Stormcloaks aren't racist... They are pro-Nordic.

Let me ask you this: If I am proud to be White, and want to live in an only white nation, is that racist?

Or is this racist: I am White, but I hate all other races and stereotype against them..

Your ignorance is unsettling.

Static

Let me ask you this: If I am proud to be White, and want to live in an only white nation, is that racist?

Or is this racist: I am White, but I hate all other races and stereotype against them..

Your ignorance is unsettling.

Actually, that is racist. Racism is a process of thought by which you label people due to their race or cultural background and as such view them differently to yourself: your first statement is merely passively racist whilst your second one is active.

Semantics aside, I chose to side with the Empire for a plethora of reasons. Firstly, the Empire really are the only hope Skyrim has of defending itself against the Thalmor. Currently, the majority of the holds of Skyrim are under Imperial dominion; the only Stormcloak owned cities being Riften, Winterhold and Windhelm to my knowledge. If the Stormcloaks were to attempt to take Skyrim then it would destabilise the region - making it susceptible to Thalmor attack. The Stormcloak ideal also seems to have no real long term plans. Assuming Ulfric was successful, where would Skyrim progress from there? Politic in the region would be massively tumultuous for a period, trade would be massively reduced, and given the Stormcloak disposition to Elves and Argonians, their dislike of Khajit and their distrust of Imperial humans, it is likely that the majority of these races would be oppressed under Stormcloak rule. In fact, the only real allies they would potential have would be the Redguard, and it is unlikely the Redguard would rush to the Nord's aid if the Thalmor launched a full out attack on the weakened region - as their own borders are of far more concern.

The Empire is not perfect, not at all, but it's Skyrim's best hope for longevity, and really Tamriel's best hope for breaking the Aldmeri Dominion.

Skyrimosity

The Jarl of Whiterun has a book in his upstairs room, the Great War, read it. I wanted to make one player and be a stormcloak, and another one be an Imperial, yet I could not FORCE myself to side with the Imperials. The Imperials abandoned every province but Cyrodil when things went bad. They FORCED Hammerfell to secede from the Empire when Hammerfell refused the White-Gold Concordat and fought the Thalmor. Plus, Ulfric treats you like an invaluable GOD, not some lowdown soldier who should bow to the might of the Empire. Not to mention, kinda hypocritical to join the Legion and then kill the Emperor.

Actually, that is racist. Racism is a process of thought by which you label people due to their race or cultural background and as such view them differently to yourself: your first statement is merely passively racist whilst your second one is active.

Semantics aside, I chose to side with the Empire for a plethora of reasons. Firstly, the Empire really are the only hope Skyrim has of defending itself against the Thalmor. Currently, the majority of the holds of Skyrim are under Imperial dominion; the only Stormcloak owned cities being Riften, Winterhold and Windhelm to my knowledge. If the Stormcloaks were to attempt to take Skyrim then it would destabilise the region - making it susceptible to Thalmor attack. The Stormcloak ideal also seems to have no real long term plans. Assuming Ulfric was successful, where would Skyrim progress from there? Politic in the region would be massively tumultuous for a period, trade would be massively reduced, and given the Stormcloak disposition to Elves and Argonians, their dislike of Khajit and their distrust of Imperial humans, it is likely that the majority of these races would be oppressed under Stormcloak rule. In fact, the only real allies they would potential have would be the Redguard, and it is unlikely the Redguard would rush to the Nord's aid if the Thalmor launched a full out attack on the weakened region - as their own borders are of far more concern.

The Empire is not perfect, not at all, but it's Skyrim's best hope for longevity, and really Tamriel's best hope for breaking the Aldmeri Dominion.

No...

Racism:

A belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human
races
determine cultural or individualachievement, usually involving the idea that one's own
race
is superior and has the right to rule others.

Now please, stop pulling the race card.

Seriously, I hate when people seem to think that anything is racist if it is unicultural...

Is it racist if the city of Boston decides to try to meet a quota of Black firefighters because there are too many White ones?

Yes: The City of Boston, is then in turn discriminating against the hiring of White firefighters based on their skin color.

See where I am coming from?

The Jarl of Whiterun has a book in his upstairs room, the Great War, read it. I wanted to make one player and be a stormcloak, and another one be an Imperial, yet I could not FORCE myself to side with the Imperials. The Imperials abandoned every province but Cyrodil when things went bad. They FORCED Hammerfell to secede from the Empire when Hammerfell refused the White-Gold Concordat and fought the Thalmor. Plus, Ulfric treats you like an invaluable GOD, not some lowdown soldier who should bow to the might of the Empire. Not to mention, kinda hypocritical to join the Legion and then kill the Emperor.

Finally, someone with some sense.

Only Authoritarian Figures prefer the Imperial Legion.

Pendles

Initially planned to join the stormcloaks, but all this "Skyrim is for the Nords" rubbish ruined them for me. They are basically nativists. You get the feeling life in Skyrim will be hell for any non-nords if they win, and since I'm playing as a redguard, I can't have that.

Imperials are pretty bad in their own way, but it's really a lesser of 2 evils thing. Plus I found it funny to be an imperial soldier, and still kill the emperor on the sly.

Metas

Redguard Battlemage
there are 2 things about my decisions with this quest...1- i did the quest way to early in the game 2-i joined the imperials... i thought the stormcloaks would be great and shouldve joined them. i did the imperials and i feel like i joined the SS in the 40's if i had to do it again i wouldve joined the stormcloaks...

on a side note: i have seen where my buddy joined one side and did some quests and went to the other side and acted almost as a spy for each side.. sabotaging each side and really brought a new dimension to the quest that i had never heard or thought about. So for those who havent done the quest i would recommend trying this?

Attachments

• large_1325189398.jpg
    large_1325189398.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 2

woodenmasklost

after an imperial asked if I lost my sweet roll I knew I'd rather be in the stormcloaks
and also after wachting them behead people so many times well two times...

Metas

Redguard Battlemage
after an imperial asked if I lost my sweet roll I knew I'd rather be in the stormcloaks
and also after wachting them behead people so many times well two times...

i hated that because somebody really did take my sweetroll... I NEEDED HELP DAMMIT!

wizkid1696

The visit to The Grey Quarter and speaking with one of Ulfric's advisors changed me to the Legion.

ActOfGod

Let's kill someone!
I swear if I have to hear another pompous ass elf or that rich Imperial farmer guy in Whiterun talk down to me one more time I'm going to stick a fluffing arrow in them and every single one of their guards. That, and "He's not on the list, ma'm' 'Kill him anyway." has, as someone on page 1 has said, had me seeking revenge for the whole game. Honestly, who loses to an army of elves? ELVES?!? Half of them are too "important" to fight! Skyrim may be the only game I despise elves in(WoW-every single character :D) Let me add that I only dislike Elves who are with the imperials.

I went Stormcloaks(Finally chose a side on one of my characters)and finished their questline. I hear a lot of bad things about them, but I still can't get over the wanting to chop of my head for no reason...

iLouis

Psst...I know who you are. Hail Sithis!
In my last playthrough of Skyrim, I rolled a Breton, who fought with the Imperials. I really began to like General Tullius and Legate Rikke. I saw alot of racism whilst deciding whether to side with the Stormcloaks or Imperials, like many above me have said. Only thing I have against the Imperials is their banning worship of Talos...and my execution!

I am now playing a Nord, and plan to join the Stormcloaks. I just want to experience the other side I suppose. Also trying to immerse myself in the game- Nord=Stormcloaks? I would also love to wear General Tullius's armor!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts