• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Imperials or Stormcloak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Erasmus

Grand Moff
I'm at a complete loss as to which faction to join, and I don't think I know enough about either one to make a decision. What did you choose and what are the pros and cons of joining the Imperials or the Stormcloaks?

I've had the same problem, but I recently joined the Stormcloaks. My overall outlook on the situation shows that both have their positives and negatives. At first, I was think to join the Imperials because looking at the extreme revolt at first seemed idiotic, especially with the current situation an order and strong, striving government was needed. The other part I liked about the Imperials was after meeting Elisif (Jarl and future Empress in Solitude), she seemed like she understood the negatives that were seen by those who supported the Stormcloaks and was a very orderly and respectful person.

I ended up siding with the Stormcloaks for a few main reasons. The Imperials seemed to be collapsing already, they have surrendered to the elves (I forget the name of that army) and agreed to remove Talos, a god that was the most famous of Dragonborns. Yes, I can understand some of the terms that would be dealt, but also not having much knowledge of the previous war, I don't see a reason to why the Imperials would have to surrender or give up the name? The failure in that war makes me think that the Imperials are already starting to dissolve. The corruption that's present in the game is well shown as well. I've had a few times where Imperials will demand money from me as I walk down the road, like bandits, and although all government gains corruption to have the soldiers be disobedient enough to force money from people is a huge problem. Lastly, and most important to myself, when I look at the movement of the Stormcloaks and who they are, I see the American Revolution. Yes, our country would have been stable and have more support if we did not rebel against the British Empire, but we wanted our society to have the rights in which we believed to the core, and to have our country guided by a government that was not even apart of our nation seemed useless. The Stormcloaks represent this well. Yes they're a bit racist, though they will accept others after they trust them, and the Stormcloaks bringing order back to Skyrim will be a difficult one, but I side with them because they know that the way their nation is being abused by the Imperials is not the way they wish to live, the Jarls are tyrants with too much power and the Stormcloaks are there to finally bring some equality to the people's needs and wants in their society.

The True question I have, is what will come after this? In the end other nations around Skyrim will see this, and just like the American Revolution will other nations realize that if another nation can do it, so can we?

Erasmus

Grand Moff
Very good points. I was leaning more towards the Imperials at first. I thought that it would be best to remain unified against the Aldmeri Dominion, but you've brought up some great and valid ideas that I hadn't considered.

Tactikul

Hardcore Button Masher
I can only speak for the Imperial Pros/Cons as I have not completed the Stormcloak quests.. (Spoilers) I know for sure that you can get two different enchanted Ebony swords by the end of the quest line for your troubles. I'm sure there is a Stormcloak equivalent. Another neat thing is your ability to climb through ranks (Auxiliary, Quaestor, Preafect, and Leget). The quest lines are very similar and you should choose based on your roleplay preferences.

Couthful

Tamriel Adventurer
Game started with Empire almost lopping off my head, haven't stopped seeking revenge for this.

Jeff31

Premium Member
i sided with the storm cloaks i also wanted to play on the good side on my first play through

wizkid1696

Imperials all the way.

To sum up my views on this, I HATE the thalmor. I can't stand them. So I chose the Imperials, because a Unified, more powerful government has the best chance to drive off the Aldmeri Dominion. Plus, I don't like the prejudice, especially in Windhelm. Also, Ulfric is powerhungry, and murdering your king is not the right way to make a point.

Jaeger

Play both.

One, a Nord, who has had a Need to come home (parents are nord bards somewhere). That need is the dragon power. Dragon born quest, storm cloak quest, become Thane of the storm cloak's Holds, maybe Companion.

Then play a Legionaire Imperial warrior, a high elf spellsword agent, etc. Imperial, Mage college.

I've made three characters. The first being my main that I wanted to keep independent of the civil war conflict and focus on the problem of the dragon invasion. My other two characters were created to experience both sides of the civil war. From my personal opinion I feel the Imperials are the way to go. Although the rebellion seems only fair because the Imperials took away Talos worship, I felt that Ulfric was exploiting the people of Skyrim in order to gain wealth and power. I also don't agree with the cleansing of Skyrim of non-nord races. I think the Nord people deserve a strong willed nord leader that has the good of the people in mind, and Ulfric just doesn't come off as that to me. I chose the Imperials because they are trying to maintain order and peace, which is key if they're going to defeat the Thalmor. I love the idea of being a revolutionary, but i just can't bring myself to support Ulfric in this fight. So for now I stay loyal to the empire!

Imperials all the way.

To sum up my views on this, I HATE the thalmor. I can't stand them. So I chose the Imperials, because a Unified, more powerful government has the best chance to drive off the Aldmeri Dominion. Plus, I don't like the prejudice, especially in Windhelm. Also, Ulfric is powerhungry, and murdering your king is not the right way to make a point.

I disagree with a lot of what you say, unfortunately.

I view a war with the Thalmor in favor of the Nords (If Skyrim successfully revolts)..

It's pretty common knowledge, and phenotypical that the Nords are born and natural warriors, they are primitive, and Conservative in some ways.

I view the Nords as your typical "Rebel" during the American Civil War, fighting for their home, fighting till the death, fighting for their kinsmen, and fighting for their own honor and glory.

I view the Imperials as a simple soldier, not too brave, but prone to giving up more easily versus a Nord in combat.

I think if Ulfric and his Stormcloaks successfully scared away the Empire, he'd immediately take the fight to the Aldmeri Dominion with full force... Also, Ulfric is not powerhungry, and never did murder the king... Ulfric Stormcloak wants the best for his country, and he viewed High King Torygg as weak, and challenged him to combat. However, he used the power of the Thu'um to force Torygg to submission and killed him...

Torygg could have learned the Way of the Voice, as any other Nord can. And according to Ulfric only the dedicated and determined of the Nords will travel to the Greybeards and learn Thu'um.

I also liked what Ulfric said about the High Kings, that most High Kings (Under the Empire), are appointed by the Imperial Emperor... And that the Empire has bought the favor of the Jarls because of the Jarl's greed.

Icy Seeker

If the Imperials are united with Skyrim They have more of a chance to hold their own. But if Skyrim Is by it self Thalmor would sweep in and take them. I can not trust Ulfric's defense and believe the Thalmor must be eliminated.

I've made three characters. The first being my main that I wanted to keep independent of the civil war conflict and focus on the problem of the dragon invasion. My other two characters were created to experience both sides of the civil war. From my personal opinion I feel the Imperials are the way to go. Although the rebellion seems only fair because the Imperials took away Talos worship, I felt that Ulfric was exploiting the people of Skyrim in order to gain wealth and power. I also don't agree with the cleansing of Skyrim of non-nord races. I think the Nord people deserve a strong willed nord leader that has the good of the people in mind, and Ulfric just doesn't come off as that to me. I chose the Imperials because they are trying to maintain order and peace, which is key if they're going to defeat the Thalmor. I love the idea of being a revolutionary, but i just can't bring myself to support Ulfric in this fight. So for now I stay loyal to the empire!

There is no cleansing of Non-Nordic races... But I agree with that issue..

Keep in mind, Ulfric wants a Nordic-dominant Skyrim...

Imagine how Hammerfell is, or Blackmarsh...

They are Redguard and Argonian dominant...

How do you think they treat the Nords in those nations? Probably not as well..

Ulfric Stormcloak is strong-willed... You just need to speak to him and listen to him speak to his Lieutenant when you are in his palace..

Ulfric looks out for his own people, and that is a trait that I see as quality for leadership.

iWalkDead

I love the imperial cities so i decided to go imperial. Although my first character did join the stormcloaks because I felt like I needed to be a rebel.

If the Imperials are united with Skyrim They have more of a chance to hold their own. But if Skyrim Is by it self Thalmor would sweep in and take them. I can not trust Ulfric's defense and believe the Thalmor must be eliminated.

Why would they be stronger if they were united?

Keep in mind, half of Skyrim is in league with the Stormcloaks..

Just because the Imperials may or may not crush the rebellion does not mean it will change the views of those who once supported the Stormcloaks.

Dragonfang

"Alas Negras en la Helada."
The capitalist dogs or the racist bastards, dont know whats worse...

Tactikul

Hardcore Button Masher
The capitalist dogs or the racist bastards, dont know whats worse...
I wouldn't necessarily classify the rigid, regulatory, monarchical government as "Capitalist Dogs" but god forbid we talk about politics on a gaming forum.

DeadStatix

Character Creations Expert
50-50 aye

I did both sides but overall the true nord way was a lot more fun, Imperials take over everything and over tax the land cause of there Roman inspired nature.

Kinda reminded me of some kind of freedom from them whilst doing the StormCloaks.

But each to there own really I am very historic as much as I like the romans I always wanted to see how things would be on the other side.

Dragonfang

"Alas Negras en la Helada."
I wouldn't necessarily classify the rigid, regulatory, monarchical government as "Capitalist Dogs" but god forbid we talk about politics on a gaming forum.

Sometimes i forgot about the political sensiblities of ppl, sorry bout that.

And yeah, imperials aren`t capitalist in the political way, but in the economic and motivational one, waging war wherever is a conflict to gain lands, laborpower and resources.

And Stormcloacks ARE racists, the only thing they miss is a KKK pointy hat lol.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts