Do you spend your gold in Skyrim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Xiomn

I rarely spend my money at all in Skyrim. The only time i'll ever spend my money is to buy quest items such as ingredients etc and for role-playing purposes such as buying food and drink at an inn.

I never buy armor as i can find it in other areas like caves and stuff. I never buy health potions unless i really really need them because they're usually lying around in caves anyway as i quest.

I never buy weapons for the same reason as above.

What is there to buy in Skyrim except homes and home upgrades really? :confused: I just have 20k sitting in my pocket doing nothing.

M'aiqaelF

Male, 32 years old, Denver area, CO
I feel the same way....although there is a way to invest in businesses but I don't know how to do it

M'aiqaelF

Male, 32 years old, Denver area, CO
You have to have the last speech perk I think, I haven't bothered doing it yet.

really? IMO speech is really not worth investing perks in

Xiomn

Waiting two days for a merchant to replenish his stock isn't really a big time consumer though. Still nothing to spend money on in this game. :sadface:

Necromis

Hmm, can't see why you don't have reasons to buy things. You can purchase a home to store things, you can buy better weapons than what you find in dungeons/caves, you can buy material to smith or upgrade your armour. Enchanting, and all sorts of things.

Xiomn

Well smithing and enchanting ruins the game and i doubt merchants sell better weapons than dungeon loot.
And it's pretty useless having more than one home.

Necromis

Well smithing and Enchanting only ruin the game if you exploit some of the glitches. Otherwise they are well balanced within the game. I mean don't just sit there and smith iron daggers for an hour, work at it like your other skills, improve your steel dagger, create that elven armour you thought looked so kewl and enchant it to give you +6% on something...etc.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
You have to have the last speech perk I think, I haven't bothered doing it yet.

You only need the 4th perk on the left hand side of the Speech Tree to get Investor ( Required skill is 70 ) & you can invest 500 gold with an merchant to increase his gold permanently. Their gold will raise by 500, but if you do this with the Riverwood Trader his gold will raise to 11,250 permanently.

The top perk on the Speech Tree is Master Trader ( Required skill is 100 ), Every merchant in the world gains 1000 gold for bartering.

Dragon Bourne

Long Live Paarthurnax!
I spent time getting my speech up so I could invest in merchants and sell stuff, but I agree, eventually you end up with more than you can spend. I am almost at the point where I will just stop looting bandits...

One funny story... I was in a merchant store and had the "I want to invest" option available which usually happens once, give them the $500 and thank you, have a ncie day. Well my merchant glitched and I was able to invest 10k in them. Here is the funny/stupid part... I invested all that gold and was THRILLED that I finally had one merchant who could buy ANYTHING from me at ANY price! I sold 10k worth of stuff and saved my game. Came back and they not only didn't have the 10k I invested, they had LESS than when I was there before.

So basically I sold my stuff to myself. Felt pretty dumb at that point.

keh'lin

not sure how smithing and enchanting ruins the game? But I can make WAY better weapons than I find. Between the smithing, enchanting and looting I have a ridiculous amount of money, I just horde it away like a little troll.

Phenom

I rarely spend my money at all in Skyrim. The only time i'll ever spend my money is to buy quest items such as ingredients etc and for role-playing purposes such as buying food and drink at an inn.

I never buy armor as i can find it in other areas like caves and stuff. I never buy health potions unless i really really need them because they're usually lying around in caves anyway as i quest.

I never buy weapons for the same reason as above.

What is there to buy in Skyrim except homes and home upgrades really? :confused: I just have 20k sitting in my pocket doing nothing.
So you don't train your smithing/enchanting?

Dvalin

If my character is big on enchanting, he'll spend a TON on a crap item simply to disenchant.

Rathalos_lord_of_the_sky

-Bnahabra King-
Well I never spent my money until i started playing hardcore. Now i buy tons of Food and i find myself running out of arrows so ive been stocking up when im in a town.. I hardly ever buy armor or wepons I do however buy crafting materials and trianing guides. And unless its a rather good wepon I wont buy it.. I spend a good 75% of my money at the kah-jeet traders.

But a good portion of my money goes towards bail when a job goes bad.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Training. If you want to approach the hardcap for levels (81) use it for skills you don't really intend to use much or at all for general leveling purposes. Use all 5 training sessions every level once you have a large amount of gold.

Once you develop all the skills that are useful for your build to 100 you can't level any further unless you increase the skills that you haven't been focusing on so if you use all your training sessions on those skills you aren't really interested in using you can reduce the amount of time you have to spend actually using the skill to level which will be a relief for you.

AvonleaNord

I stock up on the most useful alchemy ingredients (giants toe, luna wing, vampire dust etc) whenever I can buy them. Alchemy is a ridiculously easy way to make money for any kind of character if you learn the ingredients to a handful of the most valuable potions; you can take three ingredients you bought for 50 gold total and make a potion worth 500+. After a quick alchemy session I have so many 500+ value potions (some over 1000) that it takes weeks in game to sell them all off. I just make them and store them now since I don't need the money any more.

There's a perk on the Speech trail that allows you to sell any kind of item to any kind of merchant as long as they have the $ to buy - that one is awesome since it saves time not having to run around to different stores to sell potions and loot.

The best purchase I made so far was investing in a Necklace of Health very early in the game - helped me take down my first dragons :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts