• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Are you a vegetarian, vegan, or meat eater?

• Meat

Votes: 33 97.1%
  • Vegetarian

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Vegan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FullmetalHeart20

You know what? I believe it would be best if I simplified my arguments. Here are some of the benefits of eating vegan.
1. We don't need to slaughter, gut and cook an animal. Even if one found this morally acceptable, I'm sure no one wants to deal with disembowled intestines filled with half digested stool.
2. It provides more energy. If energy is always lost in a system, than meat is just an unnecessary step between plant and human. With all of the metabolizing and movement livestock does, we get less out of them than we put in.
3. No cholesterol. We don't have to live with the increased risk of heart attack or clogged arteries.
4. It can taste pretty damn good. There's even a book called The Meat Lovers Meatless Cook Book.
5. It's easier to raise a garden than it is to raise meat. That means access to a personal food source.
If anyone could disprove these points, please do. I hate giving false information. If anyone would like to provide points for eating meat, remember that 'Because it tastes good', and 'It's what we've always done' might not cut it. Decisions based on pleasure and tradition can often be rather...well, just think of all the ways we've hurt each other for those things. They look like bad ideas in hindsight, don't they?

Karen

boop.
Why isn't "because it tastes good" a valid argument, though? You even used it as one of your points. Eating for nutrition is a necessity, of course, but it's also become a luxury for many nowadays. We eat a lot of things purely because they taste good. I can't speak for everyone else, but it's why I eat meat. I'm not a calorie-counter nor do I measure my protein intake, I just eat what I enjoy (and what sustains my life, of course). As Uthy pointed out a few pages back, I thought the point of this thread was just to vote on whether we eat meat or not, don't know why we're even justifying our choices.

I'm on my iPod right now and it's kinda hard to type or do research, but I can refute 4 and 5, since 4 is mainly opinion based. I tried 'vegetarian meat' before, thought it was pretty gross. And 5, it's even easier to buy produce from the supermarket, meat or otherwise, which is what a lot of people do as opposed to growing and raising their own food.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
You know what? I believe it would be best if I simplified my arguments. Here are some of the benefits of eating vegan.
1. We don't need to slaughter, gut and cook an animal. Even if one found this morally acceptable, I'm sure no one wants to deal with disembowled intestines filled with half digested stool.
2. It provides more energy. If energy is always lost in a system, than meat is just an unnecessary step between plant and human. With all of the metabolizing and movement livestock does, we get less out of them than we put in.
3. No cholesterol. We don't have to live with the increased risk of heart attack or clogged arteries.
4. It can taste pretty damn good. There's even a book called The Meat Lovers Meatless Cook Book.
5. It's easier to raise a garden than it is to raise meat. That means access to a personal food source.
If anyone could disprove these points, please do. I hate giving false information. If anyone would like to provide points for eating meat, remember that 'Because it tastes good', and 'It's what we've always done' might not cut it. Decisions based on pleasure and tradition can often be rather...well, just think of all the ways we've hurt each other for those things. They look like bad ideas in hindsight, don't they?

tumblr_mjjyc5JRSd1r5wodgo1_500.jpg

Come at me bro. Sorry, you are trying to force your eating habits down any people's throats. So for everytime you make a post in this thread, I shall post a picture of glorious delicious meat. I could care less what you shove in your self righteous mouth, don't tell me what I can NOM on.

kyleekay

Flawed points put me in a bad mood.

There shouldn't be anything that you consider "flawed" in this thread, FullmetalHeart20. Essentially all of the previous posts are members expressing their opinions and their preferences. If someone chooses to explain why they feel a certain way, they should be able to do so without fear of being told their opinions are flawed. You have an affinity for posting controversial threads (which I enjoy participating in, don't get me wrong) but you occasionally lack the ability to remain fully civil. Just woo-sa when you disagree with someone. :)

As for the original post, I eat meat. Meat tastes good. I'm not big into vegetables, so I wouldn't be able to get all the necessary proteins, etc, from being a vegetarian. If other people prefer to live a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle, kudos to them. That's something I'd personally not be able to do and I find it fascinating that others can lead a healthy lifestyle that way. It just won't ever be my lifestyle. *shrug*

FullmetalHeart20

There shouldn't be anything that you consider "flawed" in this thread, FullmetalHeart20. Essentially all of the previous posts are members expressing their opinions and their preferences. If someone chooses to explain why they feel a certain way, they should be able to do so without fear of being told their opinions are flawed. You have an affinity for posting controversial threads (which I enjoy participating in, don't get me wrong) but you occasionally lack the ability to remain fully civil. Just woo-sa when you disagree with someone. :)

As for the original post, I eat meat. Meat tastes good. I'm not big into vegetables, so I wouldn't be able to get all the necessary proteins, etc, from being a vegetarian. If other people prefer to live a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle, kudos to them. That's something I'd personally not be able to do and I find it fascinating that others can lead a healthy lifestyle that way. It just won't ever be my lifestyle. *shrug*
I suppose you're right. It's just tasting good seems like a poor reason to kill a mammal. And assuming there's actually something to that whole 'not killing animals is good' thing, then it's not so much being self righteous as pushing a valid point. There are many conventional norms that people were irritated to have challenged, and now we look back on them with disgust.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
I suppose you're right. It's just tasting good seems like a poor reason to kill a mammal. And assuming there's actually something to that whole 'not killing animals is good' thing, then it's not so much being self righteous as pushing a valid point. There are many conventional norms that people were irritated to have challenged, and now we look back on them with disgust.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365450761.410501.jpg

kyleekay

I know that scientists are currently working on "fake" meat, I think someone posted it earlier in this thread as well, so who knows? Maybe that will become the norm in 50 years. However if that were the case, animal population control would become a very big issue.

FullmetalHeart20

I know that scientists are currently working on "fake" meat, I think someone posted it earlier in this thread as well, so who knows? Maybe that will become the norm in 50 years. However if that were the case, animal population control would become a very big issue.
Why would it be a problem? There are plenty of omnivores and carnivores that would feast if livestock was freed, and then the populations would stabilize.

Panthera

Don Gato
Why would it be a problem? There are plenty of omnivores and carnivores that would feast if livestock was freed, and then the populations would stabilize.
To me it's hard to imagine livestock in freedom... Never saw sheep in the wild nor cow...

kyleekay

Possibly. Humans have been helping to regulate animal population for so long, it makes me wonder how badly it would get messed up (at least initially) if we were to stop eating meat altogether, you know?

kyleekay

Yes I am aware that a lot of things have animal products. I'm also aware that they can be avoided. People don't need piano keys made of ivory or building materials made with fat. How much of this is even fact? It's a cartoon.

Why does it matter if it's an illustration? It seems accurate to me. I think the point was that it's nearly impossible to be a "true" Vegan. If there are animal products in paint, for instance, you could be contradicting your life philosophy without knowing it. And what about medicine? Would you suffer a debilitating disease simply because you didn't want to use a certain medication because it wouldn't be Vegan?

(I don't care either way about how people choose to live their life, as I stated before. Just clarifying what I thought the reason behind the post was.)

scarey

Possibly. Humans have been helping to regulate animal population for so long, it makes me wonder how badly it would get messed up (at least initially) if we were to stop eating meat altogether, you know?

It's actually quite simple. There would be a few left in the odd zoo and that's it.

FullmetalHeart20

Why does it matter if it's an illustration? It seems accurate to me. I think the point was that it's nearly impossible to be a "true" Vegan. If there are animal products in paint, for instance, you could be contradicting your life philosophy without knowing it. And what about medicine? Would you suffer a debilitating disease simply because you didn't want to use a certain medication because it wouldn't be Vegan?

(I don't care either way about how people choose to live their life, as I stated before. Just clarifying what I thought the reason behind the post was.)
Well what about the ingredients actual purpose? Is bone used in glass for the calcium or some other unique feature, or simply for the materials consistency. There could be plenty of things that can replace it, but people just have all these bones from the livestock.

scarey

Well what about the ingredients actual purpose? Is bone used in glass for the calcium or some other unique feature, or simply for the materials consistency. There could be plenty of things that can replace it, but people just have all these bones from the livestock.

I assume you do not drive, or take any form of transport that uses a fossil-based fuel?

kyleekay

Sure, some things could be replaced. But all? Not likely.

It's actually quite simple. There would be a few left in the odd zoo and that's it.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If animals were left to their own devices, I'm wondering if the populations would grow too large due to the fact that humans would not be using them for food. Basically it's a question of whether there are enough natural predators to keep the population down.

I assume you do not drive, or take any form of transport that uses a fossil-based fuel?

^^^ This is another good example of what I was trying to illustrate regarding the cow cartoon, FullmetalHeart20.