Spoiler College of Winterhold - Destruction 101

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

What type of destruction spell do you prefer?

• Total voters
Destruction reduction also affects blood magic, vampiric drain, and lets you cast the spells lightning storm, fire storm indefinatly. Lightning storm with shock damage perks does insane amounts of damage, especially when coupled with slow time. You can melt an ancient dragon, before the slow time shout even wears off. One awesome tactic I find quite useful, though requires yout o be a rogue mage, is to sneak into the middle of a group. Cast firestorm, slow time shout, then cast 3x more firestorms.

"They slept in their beds, the entire garrison, unaware of the shadow moving amongst them. A brief sizzling in the air was the only warning as the assassin unleashed a fiery explosion decimating nearly the entire garrison in one blow. With a shout, the assassin began to blur as three more waves of life ending flame swept the room, even the officers were reduced to cinders"

Offensively Destruction has its place in a hybrid rogue build. It is your biggest source of AOE damage, as I said earlier in the thread. I tend to use bow for sniping, daggers when i feel like just being stealthy or need to fill blackstar with guard souls but dont want bounty, swords for melee opponents. Even with the fortify destruction enchants on my gear I can take down pretty much any foe with whichever method I feel like using at the time.
You forgot that it also makes Weapon Enchantments (If they're Fire, Shock, Frost, or Damage/Absorb Stat) cost nothing as well, in case you want to activate the Enchantment on Keeing, for example. That still doesn't make this entire discussion about You and Your build.

I know about Lightning Storm, i used it in one of my Cherry tap the World Eater demonstrations at The Throat of the World. (Wall of Frost/Storms was still faster.) Only, I did it with Spell Absorbtion, and Guardian Circle. Not saying my way is better than yours, but again, It's Not The ONLY Way. Go ahead, keep talking about your Glitch Suit like it's something new, and original. I'm going to keep talking about the entire rest of the Destruction school.

Lethennon

Did I say it was the only method? no...

Did I say it was the only method? no...
I'm asking. What, you can give the advice to craft away magicka, but not tell how? The only Scripted Fortify Destruction I know how to get is in the Thalmor Embassy, for example. So, do you just not use Destruction until Diplomatic Immunity? What happens when you can cast Fireball, but don't have the Augment Flames, and Dual Casting perks yet, because you didn't work Destruction? Or, is there some other source besides Random Loot (or the Console) to get that Effect? What about all the other ones?

My question is, how do you Start with Crafting? Do you savescum shopkeepers until they randomly generate what you need, or am I missing something?

Lethennon

fortify destruction appears on robes, and random pieces and can be bought. You cant play the college questline without getting it a dozen times on rings, necklaces, and armor.

fortify destruction appears on robes, and random pieces and can be bought. You cant play the college questline without getting it a dozen times on rings, necklaces, and armor.
No, Fortify Destruction and Magicka Regeneration (as one effect) comes on Robes of Destruction. You can only put that on the Body peice, so you NEED Fortify Destruction to make the Helmet, Ring, and neclace. I can, and have played the College of Winterhold Questline (Notice the Archmage's Robes, and Morokei, not to mention Drainblood Axe) and it's no guarantee of getting any effect, much less ALL of the effects for the Crafting loop. So, how do you do it? I'm not just asking you, Lethennon, I give more than enough advice here, I honestly want to know. How do you get ALL of the effects you need without Adventuring first?

Lethennon

dude stop calling this a "crafting loop" there is no loop in what i did, no glitch, no hack, no cheating. You keep implying that i have somehow looped, glitched or cheated the game.

I actually completed thief guild, nighitngale, and dark brotherhood as full rogus and only added the magic end in the 40's.

Lethennon

Here is the Wiki link for fortify destruction.

Skyrim:Fortify Destruction - UESPWiki

You must of just been horribly unlucky to have not received an item with it. Other sources actually reference a reported increase in the quantity of fortify <magic school> items when on College of Winterhold quests. Though there isn't enough evidence to consider it guaranteed.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Thread pruned.

Stay on topic and in the spirit of this thread. Stop the personal attacks.

Vaga8ond

Overall I prefer frost although it sux that it's probably the most resistant element of the three. Draining stamina is a huge deal even for mages as it still limits mobility. Fire is cool just because it's fiya. Shock has the Sith sorta coolablity but I just don't like it because it can be very mana inefficient especially early in the game.

Overall I prefer frost although it sux that it's probably the most resistant element of the three. Draining stamina is a huge deal even for mages as it still limits mobility. Fire is cool just because it's fiya. Shock has the Sith sorta coolablity but I just don't like it because it can be very mana inefficient especially early in the game.
What really rocks about Frost is the Slow effect. That guy with the Warhammer? Yeah, a couple Ice Spikes, and now you have twice as long to kill him before he gets close enough to mash you flat.

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
I usually restrict my mages to one element of destruction unless otherwise necessary(Bandit standing in a puddle of oil). But after reading this thread I'm gonna have to experiment a little.

I do like duel casting lightening bolt cause when you one hit some chump their body goes flying half way across the room.

Leseras

Darkness guides me.
I usually restrict my mages to one element of destruction unless otherwise necessary(Bandit standing in a puddle of oil). But after reading this thread I'm gonna have to experiment a little.

I do like duel casting lightening bolt cause when you one hit some chump their body goes flying half way across the room.
Ice spike does the same

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Is fire magic ever good at higher/endgame levels?

I've yet to roll a clothy but I was under the impression fire won't scale well at higher levels, which would be a shame since I really like the fire caster types.

I've yet to roll a clothy but I was under the impression fire won't scale well at higher levels, which would be a shame since I really like the fire caster types.
If you don't level too high, then it doesn't becomes an issue, but yeah, Destruction becomes less effective past about 25.

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
Thread pruned.

Stay on topic and in the spirit of this thread. Stop the personal attacks.

Look at that! So many knowledge bombs were dropped during an epic destruction debate that Rayven herself had to show up to quell the fires. Not to mention my oh-so-welcome PAHAAA homies showing up to weigh in. I still have to find time to go back and read the rest of all your comments (on the clock right now--don't tell anybody!) And let none forget: Psiberzerker brings the knowleadge, but Zolo-Shea throws the parties. Post on, Archmages! Post on!

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
I just noticed that knowledge was misspelled in my last post. Savor it, people.

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
Ice spike does the same
True. But with lightening the might fly straight into the air do some flips and land on a table six feet behind them.

Lethennon

Fire magic is really the only one that holds on into later levels because of the AOE potential.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts