Spoiler College of Winterhold - Destruction 101

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

What type of destruction spell do you prefer?

• Total voters
Frost is also useable in the Endgame for the Slow effect, if you have a more effective Damage dealer, usually in the other hand. For instance, a Spellsword can use Ice Storm to Slow multiple foes, (Regardless of Frost Resistance, so it doesn't matter if they're Nords) then Critical Charge in on the slower fatigued enemies. It's also less likely that they will use the side-step Power Attack as a dodge (They've pulled that on me) with the Fatigue effect, but don't depend on it as purely a damage dealer, because it's not powerful enough. Likewise, Icy Spear is a effective to stop, or at least Slow a single target Charging you. I love watching Saber Cats run in slow-mo, right into my waiting Power Atttack. If you're playing a 2H Battlemage, you can often make time for the weapon transition this way.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Psi, you just gave me an idea. Probably not an original idea but certainly brand new to me.

Game play has gotten so stale on my three classes I rotate through, that I've nearly stopped playing at all.
I'm considering a start on the Main Quest again to the exclusion of everything else...then straight to Dragonborn MQ. I can RP this very easily.

Your description makes me want to roll a heavy plate 2H beast who is also an eventual College trained Frost Mage who spends half the battle prepping the enemy and battlefield with Nord resistant AoE as well as movement impairing that allows me to wind up and swing batter, batter, while you float into my crosshairs!

Good God that might be amazing in a dark lair with all my video mods!

Thanks!

Your description makes me want to roll a heavy plate 2H beast who is also an eventual College trained Frost Mage who spends half the battle prepping the enemy and battlefield with Nord resistant AoE as well as movement impairing that allows me to wind up and swing batter, batter, while you float into my crosshairs!
Try Ice Spike, or Ice Storm(If you have the Magicka) with Frost Cloak in your other hand as your starting combo. I hotkeyed the Cloak spells, so I don't have to go into the menu for the transition. Single target, Thap! him to nail him down, then pop Frost Cloak, and switch to your masher. (Drainblood Axe even looks not unlike it's made out of solid glacial Ice, even more than Stahlrim.) When you switch back, it drops into your left hand, and should revert to whatever you had on your right. The Frost Cloak maintains the Slow effect throughout, keeps their Stamina down so they can't Power Attack, and adds DoT all around you on top of your attacks. With multiple foes, you can kite them into a line for Ice Storm, Great Critical Charge the first one, and taake them out one by one. If they do surround you, then everyone gets hit, and you can use Pommel Bashes to keep the heavy hitters off balance. Weenies, like Skeevers, Wolves, and regular Bandits don't last long in the Cloak, so focus on the Thug, or Chief with your axe. Extremely effective combo.

Start with something like this: Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them! Wolf Armor is my preference, or if you have Dragonborn, Bonemold. The Enchanting is to keep the Drainblood Axe (End of the College of Winterhold Arc) topped off as a trainer. The Healing effect lasts for a couple swings, but you don't NEED it all the time, I find it useful for those nasty fights where you'll need it. Like a Draugr Scourge, or higher, they don't really care much about Frost Cloak, except for the Slow effect, and they hit pretty hard along with their Atronach. You might want to run Forelhost for Rahgot, being the only one in the fight with any Stamina is even nicer with an extra 70, +30 from the Gauldur Amulet, you can do just fine with 200 if you keep your armor light [(Wolf) The Drainblood weighs about as much as most Swords, not Greatswords, 1 handed ones!] until you get Conditioned. With the Experience from charging the Axe, you might be able to move up to making enchantments eventually without much grinding to start...

[Edit] Just tried the link, can't get it to work, so here's the Perks the hard way. Jugg(5) FoS, Cushioned, Conditoned, WF, ToS. Barb(5) CS, GCC, LS(3), Sweep. Steel Smithing. Novice-Adept Destruction, Aug Frost(2) Deep Freeze. Soul Squeezer/Syphon Optional. Easy level 30 Starter Build.) Should be fine on Solestheim, I rqan a Dunmer variation with Flame Cloak, but switched to Frost, and the Bloodskal Blade, and he was Light Armor.[/e]

Skulli

Nice!

Now I need to think on a either a race that pleases me or Breton for the resistances.

Nice!

Now I need to think on a either a race that pleases me or Breton for the resistances.
I'd go Nord. If nothing else, Battle Cry is extremely handy, and Frost resist works on the Stamina Damage, if not the Slow effect. Wuld is the best shout until you get Cyclone. (At that point, you're pretty much a Blizzard Knight) and of course FRD, and Dragonrend.

Nice! You might want to add Sweep, if you can pull it off. With the Cloak, and Absorb Health, it gives you incredible AoE capability. Vampire?

OY, {Headslap} Volendrung. How could I forget the Fellhammer? By my rough calculation (especially if you pick Orc) you might be a couple perks short. I'd take Reflect Blows, Matching Set (And possibly even Juggernaut 4-5) last in case you cap out on the skills you're using just in case. With Dragon Armor (Epic) you should reach the Physical Damage cap easy. Also, if you're a Vampire (I noticed Necromage without Illusion/Master of the Mind) Definitely Dunmer, if you're going to be fighting Ash Spawn, Burnt Spriggans...

Skulli

God help 'em if it's a bridge!

Skulli

Here she is! My Ice Queen...

ScreenShot106_zps677166d5.png

ScreenShot105_zpsb3b9ee94.png

Trolls aren't particularly Weak Against Fire, from a damage standpoint, 25 points from Lightning Bolt is just as effective, but the On Fire Status counters their Regeneration, once you stack up enough of it. Frost Trolls are Frost Resistant, but I still use it on them (Usually Wall of Frost/Cloak) because of the Drain Stamina effect. They only have Power Attacks (Use Quick Reflexes on them some time) so if you fatigue them enough, they can't attack, just throw hissy fits. (With the DoT of those two spells, they never recover.) Up to you, Fire will kill them quicker, but they hit pretty hard, especially for a Glass Cannon. I'd rather take my time, knowing I'm in no danger, and earn more XP in the process. Likewise, even Frost Dragons can't take off without any Stamina, so if you want to keep them grounded, Wall of Frost can do it. (You have two hands.)

To me, the First Lesson from Destruction 101 is "It's not just Damage." More often than not, spell selection comes down to how I can use the secondary, and tertiary effects, not which one hurts worst.

Actually, I do believe destruction levels by damage, while you would level more compare to killing a troll with frost than fire, it is not because you casted frost for a longer period of time, but because the troll was able to regenerate more health for you to damage.
And trolls ARE weak to fire damage according to the wiki: Troll (Skyrim) - The Elder Scrolls Wiki
Other than mobs with insane regeneration, it doesn't matter what element you chose to level with.
(I like to to use fire against trolls, seems more appropriate and more efficient, but that is just my preference, some times i use shock just for the fun of it.)
I only use frost spells against enemies that can actually do adequate damage with power attacks, like giants, due to their magicka inefficiency.

Actually, I do believe destruction levels by damage, while you would level more compare to killing a troll with frost than fire, it is not because you casted frost for a longer period of time, but because the troll was able to regenerate more health for you to damage.
And trolls ARE weak to fire damage according to the wiki: Troll (Skyrim) - The Elder Scrolls Wiki
Other than mobs with insane regeneration, it doesn't matter what element you chose to level with.
(I like to to use fire against trolls, seems more appropriate and more efficient, but that is just my preference, some times i use shock just for the fun of it.)
I only use frost spells against enemies that can actually do adequate damage with power attacks, like giants, due to their magicka inefficiency.
True. If you're training up, Frost is better, because it allows them to Regenerate, but prevents them from attacking. Just evade while your Magicka recovers, and they regenerate for another round. Also, the Burning after effect doesn't give you XP, just the damage on the intitial strike. Same for other indirect damage sources like Cloaks, and Walls, so if you're just trying to get it over with, Burn-em, but if you're sparring for XP, you'll get more per cast with another element.

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
The official Zolo-Shea "reply omnibus" is coming. Better find something to hold on to...

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
Fire has pulled up and away from 2nd place, and there's 4 votes for frost now! Some folks might think it obnoxious, but I'm replying to everything that is reply-worthy now that I finally have some time to read the knowledge on this thread (plus it's MY thread, so I get to reply to whatever I damn well please.) Here comes the reply omnibus!
...I feel much the same about Free Destruction. Mages use Magicka, that's why they put it in the game, added all those items, and perks to reduce, and regenerate it. Enchanting so it's no longer an issue isn't playing a mage, it's making your character into a Staff of Fireballs.
Hmm... your words here have sobered my enthusiasm to become a Staff of Fireballs. Like anything else, I very much agree that there's a time and a place for each and every spell. I was forced to realize this on a recent mission, wherein I was supposed to quietly kill an undercover Dawngaurd (the scum!) No destruction spell I had was powerful enough to put him down before he could run over to me and start making noise. Even then, I'd blast all my mana reserves at him and he'd come down to about half his life. The first thing I thought was, "I need a crap-ton more magicka." I ended up going with a Fury spell. "Guards, this Orcish Bard has gone crazy! Please, someone stop him before he kills somebody!" Though it wasn't a destruction spell per se, the point you make here echoes all throughout the College of Winterhold. Also, down with the Dawnguard! Next!
Ok, there are also combos that are not of the Pure Destruction Mage variety which work well with it too. As stated earlier, a Shield mage can stunlock the enemy in the AoE to finish them quickly. This helps a lot with the main problem with Wall Spells, the enemy can walk right out of them. With Augment Flames, the Fear effect can cause them to do it, so I'd avoid that perk if these are used as primary spells, or just not use Fire Spells to get them burning if you do. They also work well with Paralysis Effects, from Paralyzing Strike for a Spellsword, Deep Freeze, Ice Form, or Paralysis Poison. You can also stack the DoT effects from Elemental Cloak spells (Not Whirlwind Cloak, of course) Bleed from a Handaxe, the Targe of the Blooded, or Frostbite Venom.
I started this thread to learn how to do more damage with my lightning spells, and instead, you went and blew my friggin' mind--I now resemble Johnny Blaze after scarfing down a plate of hellforged hotwings. Think of it! As soon as I get into those higher levels (which aren't so terribly far,) I can paralyze folks, then hose down their helpless forms with those sweet, sweet wall spells. Until then I can be thinking about putting points into ice damage--I've really... warmed up to the idea of slowing them down some (Ba-doom-tish!) I now alternate between dual-casting and double-fisting, depending on the circumstances. And when I say "double-fisting," I'm of course talking about a Lightning Bolt fired from each hand instead of the mega beam that recquires both hands. It's also a drinking term. It's got a few meanings, actually. Anyway, you CANNOT deny that dual-casting at least looks awesome. Raise your hand if you've ever said "Hadoken" aloud while dual-casting. Oh yes you have! Nee-yext!
...While I'd like to tell you how to make Runes effective, I tried, and failed. I hate to admit there's anything completely useless in the game, these are damned near. For Apprentice Mages, they can be used as Poor man's Fireball (And frost/shock too, depending on the fight) but that's only until you earn Adept Destruction so you can move on to the real thing (not to mention Cloaks.) Cast them at their feet, if they're standing in the AoE, it will detonate instantly, but this can be tricky...
This is the one piece of information you've spewed that I was already kind of ontrack with (everything else has been pretty mind-blowing.) Runes don't really do anything other than annoy the beer out of me when I'm hunting down enemy spell-casters (for their souls! Bwa-ha-ha-ha!) I've used them a few times, but really, what am I doing wasting the magicka on them? Explosions are cool, but there's better and more effective ways of making explosions. I feel like the Rune Master perk would only be cool if I maid my character around casting runes--and I didn't. Next!
...Surprisingly, the most effective, and efficient way to use [flames] is to double cast, and pulse it, so the Burning efect stacks, and they take multiple instances of DoT before the last one wears off. Try this, hold both down on the Captain ("Forget the list, s/he goes to the Block!") and watch her Health go down. Next, reload, and just pulse one hand. Watch her health go down faster! Now, pulse both hands as fast as you can. Right!? ...One last thing, Draugr are weak against Fire (So are all Undead, Skeletons, Vampires, Dragon Priests, Whisp Mothers, Ice Wraiths, pretty much all of them except Ash Spawn.) so you get more XP for burning them, and there's a lot of Draugr. I mean a lot a lot, more than you need, so if you're trying to power level this, you know where to go...
I feel like I need to lay down, because the Flames lesson has rocked my grip on reality. You get more XP for using fire against Draugr!? Yep, I'm woozy now. That's really cool! May I ask if that goes for other monsters (like shock versus shock-vulnerable and/or frost versus the frost vulnerable?) If so, then we can all officially say that "mages are the plops." In regards to the pulsing technique, I feel like it's just a tiny bit cheap. Does anyone else feel that way? Granted, the next time I'm about to become Ash Spawn meat, it's going to be put into practice! Pulsing, though? Don't you guys/gals feel like more of a mage when you're straight-up hosing? Next!
But it's so clever that they kept it. Not like being a vampire has much other benefits anyway
What!? Being a vampire doesn't have enough benefits for you, Leseras? Well maybe you should just go get yourself a crossbow, then. Or maybe you and ol' Adam Belmont should GET BIT! Molag Bal is shaking his head right now. Next!
I play the game as it was made. Sorry you feel anything that makes someone better a glitch.
From what I've read, it very much sounds to me like you and Psiberzerker have completely different relationships with the word "glitch." Next!
...For more magicka efficiency, and higher Rate of Fire (Or Frost...) you can charge one hand, and release it while the other charges, effectively doubling your Rate of Fire, and Magicka Consumption. This is handy for circle straffing around, and carpet bombing the melee with Fireballs, or machinegunning a single target with Bolt spells. (Very handy on hovering, or grounded Dragons.) Yet another solution is to cast 2 different spells, so that complimentary effects can work together. For instance, the Slow effect of Ice Spike with the Burning of Fire Bolt...
I started out with lightning spells for two reasons: to kill enemy mages (whose souls I endlessly lust for,) and to look cool while doing it. Clearly, I was a fool. There will need to be more perks spent on my destruction tree, there's just no two ways about it. Back in the day, my straight-mage by the name of Quarziban delighted in warming up and cooling down his opponents with Flames and frost--somehow the effectiveness escaped me at the time. Frost and Lightning would look cool together, and I would deplete all three of the enemy's gauges! Oh, how my citadel does rise...

Boosh.

You get more XP for using fire against Draugr!? Yep, I'm woozy now. That's really cool! May I ask if that goes for other monsters (like shock versus shock-vulnerable and/or frost versus the frost vulnerable?) If so, then we can all officially say that "mages are the pl***." In regards to the pulsing technique, I feel like it's just a tiny bit cheap. Does anyone else feel that way? Granted, the next time I'm about to become Ash Spawn meat, it's going to be put into practice!
Any time you have something that's particularly Weak Against something, you do more damage, and earn more experience. This is mostly the undead, because they're Weak Against Fire, and Silver Weapons. Also, there's a whole lot of them, which makes them suitable for training. However, if you use Trollsbane against Trolls, or Wuthraad against Falmer, you will do extra damage, and earn extra experience. Nothing is Particularly weak against Cold, and Lightning like that, but quite a few are Frost Resistant, so using cold based spells works the other way. You do less damage, and earn less Experience.

The Pulsing trick only works on the Flames spell, and also robs you of XP. The Burning status effect is not Direct Damage (The type you get XP from) but by stacking up multiple instances of it, you finish enemies (Especially powerful Draugr) faster because of the Damage over Time...

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
Any time you have something that's particularly Weak Against something, you do more damage, and earn more experience. This is mostly the undead, because they're Weak Against Fire, and Silver Weapons. Also, there's a whole lot of them, which makes them suitable for training. However, if you use Trollsbane against Trolls, or Wuthraad against Falmer, you will do extra damage, and earn extra experience. Nothing is Particularly weak against Cold, and Lightning like that, but quite a few are Frost Resistant, so using cold based spells works the other way. You do less damage, and earn less Experience.

The Pulsing trick only works on the Flames spell, and also robs you of XP. The Burning status effect is not Direct Damage (The type you get XP from) but by stacking up multiple instances of it, you finish enemies (Especially powerful Draugr) faster because of the Damage over Time...

This is still great news. I feel like destruction is one of those skills that takes FOREVER to level, but at the same time I don't want to be one of those scrubs that stand infront of poor Shadowmere and scorch him for an hour. That's dumb. While I don't have any perks in fire damage yet, I can earn them by torching Draugr while I look for more sorely-needed shouts. I would love to have all three words of Drain Vitality, and I'm guessing there's a legion of undead Nords that're saying otherwise. It's time to fry...

I'm approaching level 35 so there might even be some pulsing. Maybe I should try it before I decide how cheap it looks, eh?

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
Speaking of shouts. Marked for death plus flames is amazing. Try it and watch life bars melt away.

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
Looks like Fire and Lightning are deadlocked! I thought of you guys when I was spending perks to get my fire damage up, wouldn't have done that had I not learned the error of my ways. So thanks for the help and advice, ya'll! We are stronger... together [in a Master Splinter voice.]

I have a new question, though. The other night I was putting all kinds of ice spikes into a Draugr Deathlord, and the sumbitch was able to attack through some of my dual-casts! Does impact work during a power attack? There's definitely a timing-issue to stun-locking (which I was totally trying to do.) I've noticed that you have to wait until your opponent is standing again before any stun attempts can be made--but this guy got a few more swings in than I intended to allow. Could it have been the ice? I now know that Draugr hate fire but they don't mind ice so much (was trying to slow 'em down.) Any ideas, fellow archmages?