Imperials or Stormcloaks, what one?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Imperials are known to quit. General Tullius hides behind a Nord woman when the pressure becomes unbearable, and begs to his arch enemy to spare his life by surrendering like the dog that he is.

No he doesn't. He jumps up to defend Rikke if she is attacked, nor does he ever once beg for his life. Tullius doesn't surrender, he asks if he was to surrender. Which was a question that had to be asked. Doesn't make him weak or cowardly, he knew when he was beaten. Best he could hope for was to secure terms for the men under his command, as any General or Military Officer would.

He faces death very well, last words are "So be it".

If Tullius is a dog for asking about surrendering, what does that make Ulfric who did surrender with barely a fight to Tullius near Darkwater Crossing?

Edit: Imperials are known to quit? Then I guess Nords are famous for betraying their oaths. How quick they were to betray their Breton allies and bend the knee to General Talos and his Colovian army after a single battle. No race in Tamriel could top that. The "prissy" Breton's word is worth more than "True Nords" it would seem.

I'd take the dog who dies keeping their sworn oath, than the rat who jumps ship anytime the going is hard.

Last edited:

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
No he doesn't. He jumps up to defend Rikke if she is attacked, nor does he ever once beg for his life. Tullius doesn't surrender, he asks if he was to surrender. Which was a question that had to be asked. Doesn't make him weak or cowardly, he knew when he was beaten. Best he could hope for was to secure terms for the men under his command, as any General or Military Officer would.

He faces death very well, last words are "So be it".

I believe that was all game play, nothing more than that.

Ulfric: "This is it for you. Any last words before I send you to Oblivion?"
Tullius: "You realize this is exactly what they wanted."
Galmar: "What who wanted?"
Tullius: "The Thalmor. They stirred up trouble here. Forced us to divert needed resources and throw away good soldiers quelling this rebellion."
Ulfric: "It's a little more than a rebellion, don't you think?"
Galmar: "Heh."
Tullius: "We aren't the bad guys you know."
Ulfric: "Maybe not, but you certainly aren't the good guys."
Tullius: "Perhaps you're right. But then what does that make you?"
Ulfric: "You just said it yourself."
Galmar: "It makes us right."
Tullius: "And if I surrender?"
Ulfric: "The Empire I remember never surrendered."
Galmar: "That Empire is dead. And so are you."
Tullius: "So be it."

Oh he did far worst. Not only did he tried weaseling himself out by waving the white surrender flag, but he also had information indicating that this is what the Thalmor had wanted... for this rebellion to go on as long as it can. He played right into the Thalmor's plan, and didn't even think twice about it. He was so afraid of being recalled that he kept on obeying his Thalmor overlords desire.

If Tullius is a dog for asking about surrendering, what does that make Ulfric who did surrender with barely a fight to Tullius near Darkwater Crossing?

It was an ambush. Ulfric probably wanted to use the opportunity to preach to the public (In cryrodill mind you) prior to being killed on how much of a failure the Empire has become, and among other things. Had he realize that they were going to take him to helgan to be executed I think he would of fought.

Edit: Imperials are known to quit? Then I guess Nords are famous for betraying their oaths. How quick they were to betray their Breton allies and bend the knee to General Talos and his Colovian army after a single battle. No race in Tamriel could top that. The "prissy" Breton's word is worth more than "True Nords" it would seem.

I'd take the dog who dies keeping their sworn oath, than the rat who jumps ship anytime the going is hard.

White-Gold Concordat my friend..... White-Gold Concordat. A sworn oath is meaningless if your heritage and religion is taken away from you.

Ozan

the Magnificent Bastard
I see a lot of twisting my argument around, fair enough. Two can play.

Twisting your words implies you lack bias. I'm just saying it how I see it. ;)

Show me the examples of the Empire being Totalitarian. Where they seek to control all aspects of private and public life. Oh, right you can't because the Totalitarian argument stems from politicians trying to put Communists and Facists into one group.

I don't know, I always thought banning Talos was part of controlling someone's life. But, if that doesn't count then persecution of the Jews don't count either. >:C

Actually, mainly because they were largely against the Nine Divines and found Imperials to be uptight pricks because all they did was work and visit the chapel of Talos.

Hitting things with an axe doesn't count? Hairy cows? Drinking, singing, and fighting (not always in that order)? The Nords haven't been this Nordly in AGES.

So the Stormcloaks aren't disciplined? They don't get any form of training? Tullius is using Militia, so why is it only an excuse for Ulfric?

Who said anything about Ulfric? I was talking about that Colovian Warlord Emperor of yours, but yeah, I get your point. Ulfric also has former Legionnaires. Tullius also trains his troops, too (even if they are local). If I remember, you don't go through the same stuff the regular recruit does in the Imperial go through. And the Stormcloaks make sure you can actually go kill something. They're looking for less than the common rabble, and the common rabble will get wrecked to a mudcrab. They also have dedication and fervor on their side, not fighting for a throne (except Ulfric) they're fighting for their homes and gods. And when God is on your side, how can you lose?

Yes, he wrecked the boy King. Too cowardly to face Istlod, aye?

Right, the only thing more dangerous than a boy is an old, weak, and feeble man. Noted.

Just because Ulfric is a good warrior, doesn't mean he's a good King. Tiber Septim was an effective ruler, Titus also.

What has Ulfric done besides the Civil War? His city requires segregation, mark of a good ruler?

Franklin D. Roosevelt sent the Japanese to concentration camps, and you see people fanboy all over him. Point?

That being said, Ulfric hasn't spent any time being High King. Torygg spent more time at it than him and he was exploded. What has Titus done beside give in to Aldmeri demands and get assassinated like a champ? What did Tiber Septim do beside become a god after butchering half the continent?

Well... Becoming a god is pretty metal, but still. We don't know him for his medical reforms, just his conquest. Warriors tend to be Tamriel's Rock Stars. ;)

I'm sure, getting captured and outsmarted must always be a fluke. Maybe the Aldmeri Dominion nearly destroying the Empire was a fluke too.

Good theory. Maybe the war was a fluke. And you just judged Ulfric over a smaller fluke than losing an entire war and accepting the Elven demands that they provided at the start?

I don't know, Ulfric doesn't seem as much a fluff up as Emperor Mede.

He didn't expect a Military General to know what he was doing? Or didn't expect Tullius to know what Ulfric was doing?

Ambushes aren't easy to do when the Thalmor are alerting the Stormcloaks to it, and they slip away. Setting up an ambush requires knowledge of enemy movements, and when you're capturing the enemy leader? Is that really easy to do?

If you don't mind, I'd like a link to that. The Thalmor haven't been able to contact Ulfric directly for some time, if they try telling him I doubt he'd believe them... but before I make any theories, links or it never happened.

Tullius is using locals, Rikke calls them Militia. So when Tullius uses militia they're soldiers, but when Ulfric uses them it is a rabble. Are you telling me Ulfric is that pl***? He'd have knowledge of legionary tactics, fighting style and ability. His has ex Legionaries also, shouldn't he have the upper hand?

So when he created the Stormcloaks years ago. Did they all just sit around wanking instead of training? Yeah, I can see them smashing the Aldmeri Dominion when they decide to invade.

They knew they were going to die. The punishment for treason is death.

You seem to forget, Tullius is part of a nation. He should have funding of the Empire, even if they don't have the support. Everything is official to their lists, the Stormcloaks are just an uprising. The fact that you're saying they're more is a sign. You view them more than what Tullius does, you see them as a rising power.

There is hope for you, Mage.

Or not, as you did say you were going to try to twist my words around. Doesn't seem like its working, eh? Amateur Hour at the Tops tonight. ;)

Of course it is biased. The Empire surrenders for the first time in two Eras. It is weak, cowardly and should be destroyed. Ulfric Stormcloak surrenders without barely a fight to General Tullius, god damn hero trying to save lives. (Even though they would be killed, either in Skyrim or Cyrodiil)

Right, but Ulfric has a history of being captured. He knows what he's doing, he's a professional unlike your God King Midas. Or Mede, I forget. He probably should have... you know. Tried bargaining a little with the treaty, saying "Sorry, I can't do this, but I can do the rest of it!" or something. No, he lies down and takes it like a bitch (which became the Empire's new policy, it seems like when Tullius tries to surrender while hiding behind a woman. A large, hairy woman, but a woman nonetheless.)

Alright, he was captured twice. By his enemies.

Yes it was a good achievement, Nordic militia filled with ex legion soldiers vs Reachmen with no military training, zero tactics and being sent flying by the Thu'um. Yeah, I can see it was a close match indeed.

They were able to take the city and were defending. Sieges are a pain in the ass for the attacker, and a lot of time the defenders can hold their own (ie Thermopylae, Candia, Waterloo, Puebla etc). If I remember correctly, its also referred to a "Handful of Nord Militia" or something, so they were probably outnumbered. And, of course, the Thu'um is great too.

If you want a fair fight, avoid conflict. Just saying.

No. But Ulfric and his soldiers don't seem to care about him threatening them in the streets. They must not have any control, because apparently Nords can't be forced to do things according to another Stormcloak supporter in this thread.

I'm sure of it. Though, I doubt Ulfric actually knows. Understand, there is a war going on. There was a killer on the streets and they had a hard time handling that as it is. Not everyone can have the funding of the Empire, Gaaaawd!

But, more seriously, does he ACTUALLY kidnap any Elves? No, he's all hat and no cattle, why you getting your jimmies in a knot over something like this and not the persecution of the Empire's citizens? Your priorities need reworking.

Stormcloaks are not so bright, wearing Imperial armor makes them call you a spy. Guess the EETC Mercenaries are our secret agents.

If you're talking about that one bitch up North and her armored manservant, then you're right that the Stormcloaks shouldn't call them spies. But I will call them stupid for wearing the uniform of the enemy in broad daylight. You would have been lynched in WWII if you were an SS uniform in Brooklyn, they're lucky that the Nords in Skyrim are more tolerant and less warlike.

Forgive me, I didn't mean to grasp. How mistaken I was to believe that the brother of Ulfric's best friend, housecarl and brother in arms... Would have any sort of pull with Jarl Ulfric.

I forgive you. Don't do it again.

The next war would most likely start after Mede's death.

Then what we waiting for? Invade already, everyone is thinking there ain't no cotton up them manskirts of yers!

And the heir of Tiber Septim died, praying in the temple. Surrounded by Blades, surrounded by an entire city of soldiers. Being Emperor is rarely safe.

Weeeeeeell, the last assassination was a while back... Just saying, so it used to be kinda safe. ;)

How is Falkreath a port city? Do you require a map? Stormcloak logic at it's finest.

I may have been thinking of the guy in the pale, same voice actor. Sue me if you're bitter about it, but the point still stands that there is still a chance they crossed paths. Don't QQ all over this thread about it. ;)

How many Grand Marshall's of the Imperial Legion can you name? How many Jarls of Solitude can you directly name? How many High Kings in the Third and Fourth Era could you name?

Just because we're not informed, doesn't mean they're peasants unworthy of any thought.

Maybe to you, but I tend to be more apathetic about what a man sits in. Let him say something interesting, then we can talk about who is who.

Stormcloaks =/= Nords of Skyrim. There are Nords standing against Ulfric Stormcloak.

That's like calling people the Borg have taken "Trusted Humans"

Not at all. It has nothing to do with supporting Elisif, she isn't promised to be High Queen. Ulfric isn't allowing the Moot to meet until he controls all of Skyrim, so yeah easy win for Ulfric.

So Ulfric refusing to allow the Moot to meet, is that showing his true political weakness? He can't take a chance? He can't risk to lose becoming High King?

If she isn't promised to be High Queen, then how come someone who isn't Ulfric hasn't decided to claim it for themselves? Right, because the Empire practically promises it for her, I forgot about this Nepotism. What would happen if Balgruuf decided to claim it? The Empire would invade him too? Is nothing sacred to the Empire?

Guess not, after forsaken precious Talos... Pity.

His Court are opposed to the Stormcloaks. His citizens also believe he'll go Imperial.

"I don't think he likes either Ulfric or Elisif much. Who can blame him? But I've no doubt he'll prove loyal to the Empire in the end. He's no traitor." - Alvor

"He's been trying to stay out of the war, but it can't last. He's going to have to pick a side. I'm afraid he's going to make the wrong choice." - Gerdur

Not by choice. He put it off for the longest time, and both choices sound bad to him (which is smart, don't get me wrong). However, if it was Ulfric against Elisif and not the Empire and their Puppet, then Ulfric wouldn't need that Bush strategy of "You're with or against us" because he probably would have beaten Solitude already. So, Balgruuf may have stayed Neutral the entire time? Why conquer something you don't need to? Combine that with the fact that half his citizens go Imperial, they probably wouldn't lest the Empire were there.

Just saying, Balgruuf didn't need to get an axe delivered to him. He made his choice to go Imperial, now he has to sleep in the bed he made.

Learn why Titus Mede stepped up. Then comment. Torygg isn't anything like Emperor Thules the Gibbering.

I take it Emperor Thules didn't explode. Well, he has a one up on Torygg. :D

No. I won't even bother with this one.

Pleeeeeeeease, I can't sleep at night unless you're thoroughly annoyed and bothered! :C

The Aldmeri are not looking for war? Of all the things posted in this thread, that ranks up next to that Stormcloak supporter who was here ages ago and said the Imperials were hiding lore.

Show me where the Aldmeri aren't looking for a war?

"It is more like the calm between storms. And the next storm, I think, will be far deadlier than the last." - Ondolemar

Background: Ulfric first came to our attention during the First War Against the Empire, when he was taken as a prisoner of war during the campaign for the White-Gold Tower. - Thalmor Dossier: Ulfric Stormcloak

"There's no worse enemy to humankind in Tamriel. The Empire barely survived the last war. The Thalmor don't intend to lose the next one." - Delphine

There can be no doubt that the current peace cannot last forever. The Thalmor take the long view, as is proved by the sequence of events leading up to the Great War. All those who value freedom over tyranny can only hope that before it is too late, Hammerfell and the Empire will be reconciled and stand united against the Thalmor threat. Otherwise, any hope to stem the tide of Thalmor rule over all of Tamriel is dimmed. - The Great War (Book)

GRRMartin.jpg

The Thalmor want to create a new Merethic Era. Where elves had ruled Tamriel.

Sworn enemies of the Empire and everything it stands for.

The Thalmor are good, they're not going to do anything. They're happy and fine. Heard it from Ozan himself, which destroys every single Stormcloak support in this thread. Thalmor are peaceful and will only attack from Imperial Aggression.

... Lol. Yeah, Ulfric kills High King Torygg declares war against the Western Holds, seeks to kick out the Empire. Legion steps in to end the rebellion, obvious Imperial aggression.

Wait, so the Thalmor are bad and they want to enslave all humanity and you're letting them into your country so they can kill your subjects?! What the hell were you thinking?! Why don't you fight back?!

Oh, right, you won't because the Empire is too busy being useless. Sounds like the Stormcloaks will have to do it for you (and for just Skyrim, unfortunately).

What of it? There isn't a welfare system in Tamriel. Some people become soldiers to earn money for their family.

When a poor man exploits the system, he is called a criminal. When a rich man exploits the system, he is called an efficient businessman. Gee, I wonder why!

What are you even on about? You're talking out of your ass now. If the Stormcloaks are so good, why is their poverty under their rule too? Should they be fl*ffing Communists, because everyone should be equal earning the same, living the same?

When little ole Windhelm has the tax rate of the remaining bits of the Empire, then lets take a moment to talk about this. Until then, maybe the Empire should consider communism. I mean, they're already red and their people are being dragged out of their houses in the middle of the night. Emperor Josef Mede, at your service, Comrade!

Ooooh, Commissar Tullius sound far more interesting than boring ole Legate...

Name me the number of wars fought by Cyrodiil, then name me the number fought by Skyrim and the Nords.

Do death dealing weapons of mass destruction count as wars?

"What I fear, is that the Thalmor will see our victory here and turn greater attention to our shores." - Ulfric Stormcloak

Guess Ulfric and the Stormcloaks are no better than them lying Imperials.

Wait, didn't you always say he was an agent for the Thalmor? Why the hell would he care about the Thalmor invading if they were in cahoots?

Ah, well. That being said, if the Elves invade Skyrim, then Cyrodiil invades them while they're busy. Then you get to win that precious "SECOND GREAT WAR!!!" business the Imperials are always on about.

Though, that'd be unlikely. After all, they're interested in not just Skyrim but fluffing EVERYWHERE in Tamriel. So, I'm pretty sure they'll still invade Cyrodiil first. So, its not too bad if you think about it (unless you decided to go Imperial. Just saying)

Ozan

the Magnificent Bastard
I just wanted to talk about this. The problem is that Ulfric knew he was at war with the Empire, he likely knew that the Empire would just kill all the rebels they capture. if he didn't, he is not smart enough to be the leader of the rebellion.

When in a war, and you capture the leader of the enemy force, would you just lock him up under severe/almost entire guard (as in all soldiers in Skyrim just guard Ulfric) until his death? Not likely, you would seek to end the war by executing the enemy leader

Well, you could also ransom them. Or keeping them prisoner isn't too uncommon, I mean you liberate a lot of prisoners in one Civil War quest, its not like you go around murdering everyone because you can unless you're a sick asshat. Which Tullius may be.

J

Jeremius

I just wanted to talk about this. The problem is that Ulfric knew he was at war with the Empire, he likely knew that the Empire would just kill all the rebels they capture. if he didn't, he is not smart enough to be the leader of the rebellion.

When in a war, and you capture the leader of the enemy force, would you just lock him up under severe/almost entire guard (as in all soldiers in Skyrim just guard Ulfric) until his death? Not likely, you would seek to end the war by executing the enemy leader

Well, you could also ransom them. Or keeping them prisoner isn't too uncommon, I mean you liberate a lot of prisoners in one Civil War quest, its not like you go around murdering everyone because you can unless you're a sick asshat. Which Tullius may be.

Ulfric is a major difference, however. With Ulfric at the helm of the Rebellion, the Thalmor have an asset keeping the Empire busy, and Ulfric being a leader of the rebellion, makes him 10 times more likely to have a squad to rescue then a bunch of regular soldiers.

Ozan

the Magnificent Bastard

Ulfric is a major difference, however. With Ulfric at the helm of the Rebellion, the Thalmor have an asset keeping the Empire busy, and Ulfric being a leader of the rebellion, makes him 10 times more likely to have a squad to rescue then a bunch of regular soldiers.

Then you still don't need to execute the regular soldiers. Ulfric is the reason of worry. The Thalmor (who were with the Imperials at Helgen, mind you) were planning to bust Ulfric out anyway. Take Ulfric to the Imperial City and lessen the likelihood that the Thalmor interfere with his execution.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I believe that was all game play, nothing more than that.

Oh he did far worst. Not only did he tried weaseling himself out by waving the white surrender flag, but he also had information indicating that this is what the Thalmor had wanted... for this rebellion to go on as long as it can. He played right into the Thalmor's plan, and didn't even think twice about it. He was so afraid of being recalled that he kept on obeying his Thalmor overlords desire.

He seemed to give Elenwen the finger during Helgen. He had this information? It is fairly obvious information, have to be completely ignorant to not see the Thalmor behind the uprising stirring up trouble. The Legion can see it, but it is their fault the Stormcloaks can't?

It was an ambush. Ulfric probably wanted to use the opportunity to preach to the public (In cryrodill mind you) prior to being killed on how much of a failure the Empire has become, and among other things. Had he realize that they were going to take him to helgan to be executed I think he would of fought.

He is rumored to have killed the High King by shouting him apart. I doubt the Imperials are going to let him have a chat near the Emperor.

Ulfric probably wanted? Without any evidence or anything to at least hint towards that?

White-Gold Concordat my friend..... White-Gold Concordat. A sworn oath is meaningless if your heritage and religion is taken away from you.

Way I see it, Imperials can do whatever they like with their religion. They created it, and they spread it.

Twisting your words implies you lack bias. I'm just saying it how I see it. ;)

You must over read it, or just have a complete lack of understanding.

I don't know, I always thought banning Talos was part of controlling someone's life. But, if that doesn't count then persecution of the Jews don't count either. >:C

Arresting people for murder, isn't that controlling someone's life? Guess every country in the world are totalitarian. Banning the worship of Talos and turning a blind eye to people who still worship? Real oppressive. Nords have Imperials beat, they used to burn the priests of the Divines at the stake.

Hitting things with an axe doesn't count? Hairy cows? Drinking, singing, and fighting (not always in that order)? The Nords haven't been this Nordly in AGES.

They've turned their back on most of the Nordic religion, so they're less Nordly.

Who said anything about Ulfric? I was talking about that Colovian Warlord Emperor of yours, but yeah, I get your point. Ulfric also has former Legionnaires. Tullius also trains his troops, too (even if they are local). If I remember, you don't go through the same stuff the regular recruit does in the Imperial go through. And the Stormcloaks make sure you can actually go kill something. They're looking for less than the common rabble, and the common rabble will get wrecked to a mudcrab. They also have dedication and fervor on their side, not fighting for a throne (except Ulfric) they're fighting for their homes and gods. And when God is on your side, how can you lose?

So do the Imperial Legion, many of them are fighting for their homes, and the belief of keeping the Empire united.

Right, the only thing more dangerous than a boy is an old, weak, and feeble man. Noted

Istlod is an old, weak and feeble man? Do you have a source for that? Kodlak is old, Ulfric is getting up in his age too. Istlod was perhaps a true High King according to Ulfric Stormcloak. So he must have been a warrior to be called a "True High King of Skyrim"

Franklin D. Roosevelt sent the Japanese to concentration camps, and you see people fanboy all over him. Point?

You see people fanboy all over Hitler still.

That being said, Ulfric hasn't spent any time being High King.

He's been ruler of his Hold for many years.

Torygg spent more time at it than him and he was exploded.

Torygg was killed very shortly in his reign, he had less time as Jarl than Ulfric did. Being High King doesn't mean you handhold the province, the eight other Holds are largely independent.

What has Titus done beside give in to Aldmeri demands and get assassinated like a champ?

Titus has the power of veto within Imperial politics. What is he going to do? Elder Council handle the rest. But, I would say he's rebuilt the Imperial army to a strength enough to threaten the Aldmeri Dominion, established calm and peace within Cyrodiil after brigands and criminals had caused problems in the aftermath of the war. For the first three years of his reign the Empire was prosperous and doing very well.

What did Tiber Septim do beside become a god after butchering half the continent?

Changed the entire landscape of Cyrodiil from dense jungle to nice forests with his mind as a thank you to his subjects. Some people would say that is impressive.

Good theory. Maybe the war was a fluke. And you just judged Ulfric over a smaller fluke than losing an entire war and accepting the Elven demands that they provided at the start?

I don't know, Ulfric doesn't seem as much a fluff up as Emperor Mede.

Mede dies, so we just need to kill Ulfric and we'd be good.

If you don't mind, I'd like a link to that. The Thalmor haven't been able to contact Ulfric directly for some time, if they try telling him I doubt he'd believe them... but before I make any theories, links or it never happened.

They don't need to contact him directly, they have assets and can warn other Stormcloaks.

"A masterstroke by General Tullius! He's only been in charge here for a few months, but he's turned things around for the Empire. We've been trying to catch Ulfric since the war started, but he always seemed to slip through our fingers... like he knew we were coming. This time, the General turned the tables on him. Ulfric rode right into our ambush with only a few bodyguards. He surrendered pretty meekly, too. So much for his death-or-glory reputation." - Hadvar

Operational Notes: Direct contact remains a possibility (under extreme circumstances), but in general the asset should be considered dormant. As long as the civil war proceeds in its current indecisive fashion, we should remain hands-off. The incident at Helgen is an example where an exception had to be made - obviously Ulfric's death would have dramatically increased the chance of an Imperial victory and thus harmed our overall position in Skyrim. (NOTE: The coincidental intervention of the dragon at Helgen is still under scrutiny. The obvious conclusion is that whoever is behind the dragons also has an interest in the continuation of the war, but we should not assume therefore that their goals align with our own.) A Stormcloak victory is also to be avoided, however, so even indirect aid to the Stormcloaks must be carefully managed. - Thalmor Dossier.

As we can gather, the Thalmor remain hands off unless it affects their plans. Imperials trying to capture Ulfric, he's suddenly tipped off and escapes.

You seem to forget, Tullius is part of a nation. He should have funding of the Empire, even if they don't have the support. Everything is official to their lists, the Stormcloaks are just an uprising. The fact that you're saying they're more is a sign.

Tullius is using local means, he isn't getting anything from Cyrodiil. With the Pass Blocked, he's also lost solid communication with Cyrodiil. I thought you said the Stormcloaks fought for their homes and has a God on their side. Is Talos really beaten by a few more coins?

Tullius views them as a threat to the Empire.

You view them more than what Tullius does, you see them as a rising power.

I see them as a very short term solution to a problem that will be gone within months.

Right, but Ulfric has a history of being captured. He knows what he's doing, he's a professional unlike your God King Midas. Or Mede, I forget. He probably should have... you know. Tried bargaining a little with the treaty, saying "Sorry, I can't do this, but I can do the rest of it!" or something. No, he lies down and takes it like a bitch

Yes, with the Legion barely able to maintain law and order in the aftermath of the war. With Aldmeri possibly still within Cyrodiil after Red Ring. He hardly lies down, he fought a war for four years because the Empire would not accept such terms at the mere threat of war.

Empire wasn't going to win the first round, but it wasn't going to simply lay down without a bloody nose.

(which became the Empire's new policy, it seems like when Tullius tries to surrender while hiding behind a woman. A large, hairy woman, but a woman nonetheless.)

He asks about if he surrenders after Rikke is dead. He also fights with her when the Stormcloaks attack... Hiding behind a woman? She's a Nord woman, they're no different than Nord men.

They were able to take the city and were defending.

Were able to take the city when the Legions left...

Sieges are a pain in the ass for the attacker, and a lot of time the defenders can hold their own (ie Thermopylae, Candia, Waterloo, Puebla etc).

They're hardly a pain in the ass when you can shout a gate open.

If I remember correctly, its also referred to a "Handful of Nord Militia" or something, so they were probably outnumbered. And, of course, the Thu'um is great too.

Source?

I'm sure of it. Though, I doubt Ulfric actually knows. Understand, there is a war going on. There was a killer on the streets and they had a hard time handling that as it is. Not everyone can have the funding of the Empire, Gaaaawd!

90% of supporters are racist, xenophobic and near hostile towards Non-nords. Every Stormcloak guard and Galmar using racial slurs like lizard and cat. Also slightly threatening elves...

Ulfric doesn't know. His head must be far up his ass to not see it. Funding of the Empire again, so Skyrim is better off with the Empire. Since the funds can be used to rebuild Skyrim much quicker.

But, more seriously, does he ACTUALLY kidnap any Elves? No, he's all hat and no cattle, why you getting your jimmies in a knot over something like this and not the persecution of the Empire's citizens? Your priorities need reworking.

Not yet, but who knows what his supporters would do. Why are you Stormcloaks getting your jimmies in a knot? Person screaming about Talos gets arrested, 99% of Talos worship being ignored. Few people getting taken by the Thalmor and killed...

Solution? An uprising which takes more lives than the Thalmor Justiciars do. Creates a large bandit problem where they're able to raid farms and do as they please without worry. Killing even more citizens, regardless of race or religion.

"I tell you this province is losing its grip. The bandits become more brazen every day." - Skjor/Vilkas

If you're talking about that one bitch up North and her armored manservant, then you're right that the Stormcloaks shouldn't call them spies.

Talking about the boat filled with EETC Mercenaries.

But I will call them stupid for wearing the uniform of the enemy in broad daylight.

No. The armor is mass produced, and is used by many people. Thing is found is caves at times. But, yeah. The EETC are stupid for not changing their armor to suit retarded Nords who think spies walk around in Legion armor. They'd be pretty plops spies.

You would have been lynched in WWII if you were an SS uniform in Brooklyn, they're lucky that the Nords in Skyrim are more tolerant and less warlike.

Imperial armor isn't an SS Uniform. It is found all over Tamriel, even those who aren't part of the Legion.

Then what we waiting for? Invade already, everyone is thinking there ain't no cotton up them manskirts of yers!

Skyrim doesn't pass in time. War is right around the corner.

Weeeeeeell, the last assassination was a while back... Just saying, so it used to be kinda safe. ;)

No it isn't. The last successful assassination, there would be many attempts.

I may have been thinking of the guy in the pale, same voice actor. Sue me if you're bitter about it, but the point still stands that there is still a chance they crossed paths. Don't QQ all over this thread about it. ;)

Yeah, Skald... I'm sure he is a great ally for Ulfric. True Stormcloak, he is.

Maybe to you, but I tend to be more apathetic about what a man sits in. Let him say something interesting, then we can talk about who is who.

Maybe to everyone who actually understands we don't get every single bit of information due to it being a game. No, you're using absence of evidence as evidence of absence.

That's like calling people the Borg have taken "Trusted Humans"

No. Ulfric and the Stormcloaks are not all the Nords of Skyrim.

If she isn't promised to be High Queen, then how come someone who isn't Ulfric hasn't decided to claim it for themselves?

That generally happens in the Moot itself, unless you have an army and decide you'd rather make your claim now.

Right, because the Empire practically promises it for her, I forgot about this Nepotism. What would happen if Balgruuf decided to claim it? The Empire would invade him too? Is nothing sacred to the Empire?

The Empire doesn't control who becomes High King/Queen of Skyrim. The Nords Jarls do, and the way the Nords elect their High King hasn't changed since the pact of Chieftains which predates all three Imperial Empires.

So show me your source the Empire is deciding? You have nothing to even back up your claim here. Stick to something you can back up, instead of the bullplops you go on about.

What would happen if a Jarl goes against Ulfric and decides to reject his claim? Would Ulfric kill them too? Is he unable to ever take no for an answer?

Not by choice. He put it off for the longest time, and both choices sound bad to him (which is smart, don't get me wrong). However, if it was Ulfric against Elisif and not the Empire and their Puppet, then Ulfric wouldn't need that Bush strategy of "You're with or against us" because he probably would have beaten Solitude already. So, Balgruuf may have stayed Neutral the entire time? Why conquer something you don't need to? Combine that with the fact that half his citizens go Imperial, they probably wouldn't lest the Empire were there.

Empire didn't force him. However, it isn't Ulfric against Elisif. It is Ulfric against the Empire, so there is no point saying "Well if the Empire wasn't there, Ulfric would be winning" if Ulfric wasn't there, things would be normal.

I forgot, expecting some lore backing from you is few and far between.

Wait, so the Thalmor are bad and they want to enslave all humanity and you're letting them into your country so they can kill your subjects?! What the hell were you thinking?! Why don't you fight back?!

Thalmor have been inside the Empire's lands for over a hundred and fifty years. There isn't this "letting them" clearly you have no knowledge of the Thalmor.

Oh, right, you won't because the Empire is too busy being useless. Sounds like the Stormcloaks will have to do it for you (and for just Skyrim, unfortunately).

Doubtful, the Thalmor don't rely on brute strength. They excel as espionage, which the Stormcloaks lack any ability to counter. They fund bandits, cause uprisings, assassinate, manipulate etc.

When a poor man exploits the system, he is called a criminal. When a rich man exploits the system, he is called an efficient businessman. Gee, I wonder why!

Gee, another comment that has absolutely nothing to do with the argument.

In Soviet Russia, deer shoots you!

Wait, didn't you always say he was an agent for the Thalmor? Why the hell would he care about the Thalmor invading if they were in cahoots?

No. If I did, then it was when I didn't know much about the lore. I say he's a puppet who is twenty steps behind the Thalmor, trying to wage a rebellion they planned and indirectly aid.

Both sides are getting played by the Thalmor, but the Imperials are figuring it out and are in a position to combat the Aldmeri Dominion and counter some of the Thalmor espionage.

Ah, well. That being said, if the Elves invade Skyrim, then Cyrodiil invades them while they're busy. Then you get to win that precious "SECOND GREAT WAR!!!" business the Imperials are always on about.

Though, that'd be unlikely. After all, they're interested in not just Skyrim but fluffing EVERYWHERE in Tamriel. So, I'm pretty sure they'll still invade Cyrodiil first. So, its not too bad if you think about it (unless you decided to go Imperial. Just saying)

The Civil War could probably last for years, Tullius and Ulfric dying. Skyrim falls into further infighting between the Holds and various claims for the title of High King. Aldmeri Dominion whoop both our asses, until Tamriel is saved by Khajiit.

Tamriel goes from Elven dominance, to mankind, to Khajiit... Then maybe the Argonians.

Raijin

He seemed to give Elenwen the finger during Helgen. He had this information? It is fairly obvious information, have to be completely ignorant to not see the Thalmor behind the uprising stirring up trouble. The Legion can see it, but it is their fault the Stormcloaks can't?

We don't truly know what was going on between Tullius and Elenwen up in Helgan when it was cut out from the game. Yes theirs audio but Bethesda decided to remove it from the game. We can only assume, base on the audio that was left over, that their was a big argument between Tullius and Elenwen regarding to the prisoners.

Ulfric did not have such information that Tullius had. He had information that the Thalmor was encouraging this war to weaken Skyrim's Legions and the Stormcloaks by wasting much resources. It was only brought up when Tullius was in a situation where his life was in danger. Instead he tried weaseling himself out from facing death by openly giving Ulfric and Galmar information about the Thalmor.

To think that Colovians are known well for their skills of diplomacy... Tullius is complete opposite.

He is rumored to have killed the High King by shouting him apart. I doubt the Imperials are going to let him have a chat near the Emperor.

Ulfric probably wanted? Without any evidence or anything to at least hint towards that?

Rumors and actual events are complete opposite. If the Empire operates solely out of rumors being spread around then the Empire is beyond saving at this point. It's best to let it die out and let the next generation determine if it could be salvageable or not.

This was probably what Ulfric was banking on after being captured:
http://cs.uesp.net/index.php?game=sr&formid=0x00056aa9

Way I see it, Imperials can do whatever they like with their religion. They created it, and they spread it.

What kind of logic is that, DrunkenMage? Talos is not their religion. They don't own it. They didn't create it either. It was brought to them.

Ivory

Let's Player
I think everyone here needs a good laugh. First, a Nordic racist based one, in good faith. Then random snippets. Enjoy.

KaJ9OXJ.jpg

DahUZGZ.jpg

KIpsjnL.jpg

1z7wo0.jpg

DFAc5JJ.jpg

Lewsean

What a typical, ignorant imperialistic way to look at something...

LegateFasendil

Imperial Legate

We don't truly know what was going on between Tullius and Elenwen up in Helgan when it was cut out from the game. Yes theirs audio but Bethesda decided to remove it from the game. We can only assume, base on the audio that was left over, that their was a big argument between Tullius and Elenwen regarding to the prisoners.

Like hell we don't.

Looks like Gen Tully put Elenwen in her place. Either way, it can very reasonably be inferred Gen Tully denied the Thalmor what they wanted at Helgen.

Which pokes all kinds of holes in your sides' argument(s). :eek:

Raijin

Like hell we don't.

Looks like Gen Tully put Elenwen in her place. Either way, it can very reasonably be inferred Gen Tully denied the Thalmor what they wanted at Helgen.

Didn't really happen in the game, but if that is what you want to believe so be it. Let your mind truly think that General Tullius put Elenwen in her place. That is your prerogative. I'm just stating the facts.

Lewsean

Don't be hatin' ;)

He has a point you know... esp when you consider IC as the 'Holy City'. Hehehe
No he doesn't.. Not one group of people have any right whatsoever to change/dictate what people believe in. Also the "Eight Divines" is a variation of the Divines that the original Aldmeri worshipped, you didn't create anything.. Besides, it wasn't you who changed it, it was the Thalmor.

J

Jeremius

No he doesn't.. Not one group of people have any right whatsoever to change/dictate what people believe in. Also the "Eight Divines" is a variation of the Divines that the original Aldmeri worshipped, you didn't create anything.. Besides, it wasn't you who changed it, it was the Thalmor.
I think what was meant was that the Empire changed it BACK.Talos did not exist as a god until the CHIM thing happened and the Imperials put Talos on the pantheon in the first place. There was originally eight divines until Talos came into being.

Lewsean

I think what was meant was that the Empire changed it BACK.Talos did not exist as a god until the CHIM thing happened and the Imperials put Talos on the pantheon in the first place. There was originally eight divines until Talos came into being.
And where did you get this notion that the Imperials are the only ones who are allowed to say who's a Divine and who isn't? More superiority complex.. It's the Nords who revere him as a God, which is why his name is Talos, not Tiber Septim.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage

She would be demanding the prisoners, or at least the release of Ulfric Stormcloak into her charge. The dossier at least confirms this, even without the dialogue.

Ulfric did not have such information that Tullius had. He had information that the Thalmor was encouraging this war to weaken Skyrim's Legions and the Stormcloaks by wasting much resources. It was only brought up when Tullius was in a situation where his life was in danger. Instead he tried weaseling himself out from facing death by openly giving Ulfric and Galmar information about the Thalmor.

Ulfric and Galmar are hardly going to believe their cause is being played by the Thalmor. You believe this information would make Ulfric do a complete 180 on his actions, yet even when he is told he still kills Tullius, and gets you to still kill all Legionaries you find.

"As always, the Empire's fine words are worth nothing!" - Ulfric Stormcloak

To think that Colovians are known well for their skills of diplomacy... Tullius is complete opposite.

No they're not. Colovia is an austere, martial culture... They are the warrior half of Cyrodiil.

The Colovian region has traditionally contributed its sons to the Imperial Legion, making up the bulk of its ranks in native legions. - Lore Colovia

The Colovian nobility, all officers of the Imperial Legions or its West Navy, do not allow themselves the great expenditure of courtly life as is seen in the capital city. They prefer immaculate uniforms and stark standards hanging from the ceiling of their austere cliff-fortresses - PGE, Cyrodiil/First Ed.

"Colovian officers have traditionally been appointed as provincial governors to the human regions of the Empire, as these often need the most forthright of the Emperor's men." - PGE, Cyrodiil/First Ed.

Saying Colovians are well known for their diplomacy is saying Nords are famous for making peace with elves.

Don't confuse Colovians and Nibenese.

Rumors and actual events are complete opposite. If the Empire operates solely out of rumors being spread around then the Empire is beyond saving at this point. It's best to let it die out and let the next generation determine if it could be salvageable or not.

It is a rumor that has merit, Ulfric used the Thu'um. The Imperials gagged him, they're not underestimating it.

This was probably what Ulfric was banking on after being captured:
http://cs.uesp.net/index.php?game=sr&formid=0x00056aa9

Being paraded doesn't mean they would get to speak, and Ralof only assumes that. They were always going to be killed, either by the order of Tullius or Mede.

If he gave up for that reason, he's an idiot.

What kind of logic is that, DrunkenMage? Talos is not their religion. They don't own it. They didn't create it either. It was brought to them.

Talos isn't a religion. The Eight/Nine Divines are, which is the pantheon of the Imperial Empire since the First Era. The Empire making changes to the religion they established is within their rights, even if you don't believe it is a good right.

"I'm here to show Bruma's errant Nords the path to the true faith. They must put aside their heathen gods and worship the Nine." - Arentus Falvius

Religions change, and they established the Eight/Nine Divines as the official religion of the Cyrodiil Empire.

Typical way, yes. Ignorant, no? You would be ignorant if you believed those who controlled religions never made changes, either good or bad.

Ancestors* the Aldmeri didn't worship Divines. "Aedra" roughly translates to "ancestor spirit", they believe themselves descendants of the Aedra.

The Divines were established by the Imperials as a compromise, which watered down the Nordic Gods to shadows of their original purpose.

The Imperial Cult has been dictating Nords should worship the Divines for an Era. Guess that is fine, it is alright to force a religious view onto the Nords, we're just not allowed to change it... again.

It was changed for the sake of peace, exactly how the Eight Divines came to be.

Last edited:

LegateFasendil

Imperial Legate
Like hell we don't.

Didn't really happen in the game, but if that is what you want to believe so be it. Let your mind truly think that General Tullius put Elenwen in her place. That is your prerogative. I'm just stating the facts.

This is, of course, according to Elenwen's dialogue.

Ok smart guy. Can you disprove Gen Tully didn't put her in her place?

Last edited:

LegateFasendil

Imperial Legate
And where did you get this notion that the Imperials are the only ones who are allowed to say who's a Divine and who isn't? More superiority complex.. It's the Nords who revere him as a God, which is why his name is Talos, not Tiber Septim.

Rather than drone on about Religion and skew off into some dark discussion on Religious oppression...

Ah, question for you Lewsean.

So... you hate the Empire. Ok, I understand that.

Why worship the Imperial's God?

Why not worship Shor or Lokki or so forth? Septim was an Imperial, he spread Imperialism.

Really, Ysgramor (ysg) is your 'God'. Yes, yes it is. Because all he ever cared about was Skyrim and getting even with the world, taking back everything he 'deserved'. Ysg's only concern ~ ever ~ was for the Kingdom of Skyrim. That's it. Talos was the sugar daddy that broke Ysg legacy / tradition.

So seriously. Talos is an Imperial who somehow became a God too... Why worship him if you hate Imperialism? Ever wonder why Ulfric doesn't wear a Talos amulet. :eek: Or Galmar.

Yet Emperor Mede still does... strange how he of all people has not given up hope. Pfff.

Last edited:

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
It's the Nords who revere him as a God, which is why his name is Talos, not Tiber Septim.

He would be Ysmir, in that case. Since Ysmir was the Nordic version of Talos, but it would appear the Imperial Cult has had an impact in the last hundreds of years on the Nords. You don't see any shrines to Ysmir, which is a disappointment that Bethesda went for a more general religious view for Skyrim.

I was hoping to see the Eight/Nine Divines being a minority in Skyrim, after being so huge within Cyrodiil and High Rock. The Greybeards calling Kyne, "Kynareth" wasn't something I ever expected. I would have thought their detatchment from the world would have preserved the Old Ways.

J

Jeremius

PANTHEON, not divine. Talos is still a god, just not a part of the official pantheon of "RECOGNIZED" gods.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts