• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Ten Foot Bunny

I ♥ Harry Nilsson
I was wondering what you all feel about exploiting glitches in the game. For the very first time, I'm not playing an Elder Scrolls game on the PC since I currently don't have anything more than a three-year-old laptop and not enough money for a new rig. That means I'm playing without mods and the ability to use console commands for anything.

For that reason, I'm using a glitch to get what I want - namely, the restoration glitch for the purpose of blacksmithing upgrades. Since I can't fulfill my desires via the console or the construction set, the game experience is lacking in my opinion. I REALLY want the armor and weapons that I want rather than what works for my level! And without the ability to download mods or mod the game myself (I used to mod Morrowind and Oblivion back in their days) exploiting the glitch is my only option.

That said, I'm not exploiting it to craft über-gear but specifically to upgrade the forsworn armor set to the armor rating to which I can upgrade glass armor. In other words, I'm not giving this light armor set the same stats as, say, daedric armor. However, I promised myself that I would play this game as the devs intended for the first time in Elder Scrolls history, and my exploitation of the glitch kind of bucks that intention.

Would you think of this as cheating in a sense, considering I'm merely giving a lowly armor set the same stats as an advanced armor set? One more item of note: I AM of-level to find glass armor drops in the world and so I'm not jumping the gun.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
Personally I think so. I don't like most glitches and exploits, but can tolerate them and use a few of them admitedly(oh how I love keeping the Jagged crown). The rrestoration glitch is one of the game breaking ones that I despise however. I like playing the game the way it was set up so my opinion is obviously biased, but ANY armor set in the game can hit armor cap and be insanely overpowered through the use of alchemy/enchanting/smithing. I just don't see the point and makes me feel like the game is broken and not enough of a challenge. Just my 2 cents

xsneakyxsimx

I personally don't use glitches anymore, but that being said, I don't see an issue with using them to compensate for lower-tier equipment. If someone wants to keep an armour set that they like the look of, that is fine to me. If however, someone was glitching for the sake of becoming a sort of Demi-God, it's kind of missing the point of the game (but, personal opinion here). I would at least say that everyone who plays any game should at least try and finish it the first time without glitching it. :)

Clau

The Fateless One
To each his / her own. Tried that restoration loop and my eyes almost popped at what it can do to pallid gear.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
i reward myself after getting 100 in alch/ench/smith, by using the restoration glitch to make one-item-100%-magicreduction-gear. Bcause after awile you can smith nearly every type of armour to reach the armour cap, although it does take a little while to build the skills up, so theres no point in using that particular glitch in my stage of the game.

i use the duplicate item glitch sometimes on items such as the jarrin root and sanguine rose, but that glitch is so picky and fiddly at times that i give up really quickly.

the mannequin glitch drives me insane and annoys me because it never works on the stuff that i want it to work on but iv got about 20penitus oculatus helmets form the mannequin in my basement that i really didnt want.

Liger

I run 2 accounts. 1 role playing where I can not use glitches and one where I can. Needless to say My Tank-Elf that knows where the hidden chests and all are is idle and my roleplay were-cat is happy just staying around Whiterun ATM

TJ0331

Nords forever
I don't really like exploits but now that there is no level cap and it isn't online it doesn't really matter. The only exploit I try to use is the dawnstar chest.

Chadonraz

The only glitch I use is the Dawnstar chest, and even with that I'll only take something if it's something with a really rare enchantment OR if it's called "Necklace of Poison Immunity" (I will find that thing some day...).

I did glitch my way through the rubble (and back) in Korvanjund to get the Word of Power once, because it's a useful Shout and my character had no intention of doing the CW.
Oh, and the same character made her way back to the Thalmor Embassy twice, but couldn't figure out how to get to her target (Elenwen). That's a somewhat common thing to do, I believe. :D

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Is the Dawnstar chest really a glitch or does everyone assume it is because it's so awesome? I mean, you can find an exact same chest just outside of Markarth with the same kind of stuff in it. It's not like they haven't had a chance to patch it. How hard would that be? It's not like the miles of coding that would probably be involved in patching the Restoration glitch. The stuff isn't even marked stolen after you take it.

On topic, glitch all you want and damn the rest. Those are your entertainment dollars at work and nobody else's. *steps off soapbox*

TJ0331

Nords forever
I never knew about the markarth one

LotusEater

I never knew about the markarth one

Yup, you gotta go to the cat-camp. It's along the backside of that stone wall they are camped by in a clearing close to the wall.

TJ0331

Nords forever
I will have to check that out

LotusEater

I will have to check that out

It's down the wall from the camp on the other side of the wood pile iirc. Little tricky to locate as it is in a clearing, unlike Dawnstar, but it's there... and I love it. :)

TJ0331

Nords forever
^^^
Whats with these chests?
Ive never hear anything about them...

Idk if you are serious but they are invisible chests that have really valuable loot in them. You can get them straight out of helgen so you can 700 gold even before going to whiterun if you want, as well as potions, lockpicks, weapons and armors.

LotusEater

^^^
Whats with these chests?

Idk if you are serious but they are invisible chests that have really valuable loot in them. You can get them straight out of helgen so you can 700 gold even before going to whiterun if you want, as well as potions, lockpicks, weapons and armors.

... soul gems, animal hides, ebony ingots, moon sugar, house building materials...

:)

TJ0331

Nords forever
^^^
Whats with these chests?

... soul gems, animal hides, ebony ingots, moon sugar, house building materials...

:)

Yep and its a great way to get your enchanting up because of all of the soul gems and random gear.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts