• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

khazan99

Semi-professional cabbage collector
Y'all talk about hidden and invisible chests. I have no idea what you're talking about. I'll occassionally run across a chest someplace I never expected it, but I wouldn't even know where to start looking for something that's invisible. :)

The "invisible" chests are what all the NPC merchants use for inventory; the chests need to be in-game objects, holding the actual items that the merchants have to sell. There are ways to clip through the environment and see them below ground level.

In this case, it seems that when building the game, 3 of the chests that belong specifically to the Khajiit caravan merchants were placed by the designers close enough to ground level that your character can access them (and happily loot everything in them if you so desire). Note that anything looted does NOT count as theft, nor are the items marked "Stolen".

Video, if you'd like a bit more info (not the greatest in terms of narration, but, you get the basic idea....):

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Y'all talk about hidden and invisible chests. I have no idea what you're talking about. I'll occassionally run across a chest someplace I never expected it, but I wouldn't even know where to start looking for something that's invisible. :)

The "invisible" chests are what all the NPC merchants use for inventory; the chests need to be in-game objects, holding the actual items that the merchants have to sell. There are ways to clip through the environment and see them below ground level.

In this case, it seems that when building the game, 3 of the chests that belong specifically to the Khajiit caravan merchants were placed by the designers close enough to ground level that your character can access them (and happily loot everything in them if you so desire). Note that anything looted does NOT count as theft, nor are the items marked "Stolen".

Video, if you'd like a bit more info (not the greatest in terms of narration, but, you get the basic idea....):

OH! Okay. That makes sense. No wonder I didn't know anything about them. I never steal. I realize that they would never list as stolen, but, as I said on another post - just because you can take it doesn't mean you have the right to take it. Just not in my makeup to do it to the vendors and to the Khajit in particular. No way. Oh well... I guess I'll have to miss out on them. Thanks for the info though. An interesting tidbit.

Of course, if I simply murdered them then I would feel free to do it since, apparently my morality thinks murder and looting is okay but not thievery. Weird. If I did that though, I wouldn't have anybody to sell to and, since I must have all the septims I can get my hands on, that would be counterproductive.

khazan99

It is interesting, yes. As I said earlier, it always struck me as odd that, despite all the patches to the game, these chests were never "lowered" a little bit to put them out of a character's reach. Maybe the designers left them as intentional easter eggs or free loot, I dunno.

Also, totally understand about the 'no stealing' RP, it just wouldn't make sense to bother with them with that specific character of yours. :)

Daelon DuLac

It is interesting, yes. As I said earlier, it always struck me as odd that, despite all the patches to the game, these chests were never "lowered" a little bit to put them out of a character's reach. Maybe the designers left them as intentional easter eggs or free loot, I dunno.

Also, totally understand about the 'no stealing' RP, it just wouldn't make sense to bother with them with that specific character of yours. :)
Who said anything about that specific character! It's a real problem for me! I can't play a theif! If I play the TG, I can't steal anything (well except for the book of Ulfich's, but I hate Ulfrich) unless I kill the owner and the TG hates that. Sure I can make it to the Nightingale armour since you can do it through bullying, arson and murder, but I can't do any of the radiant quest!

I think I need help. It's just a game for goodness sake, I should be able to get over it. :sadface:

khazan99

Ohhhhh! I thought you were referring to the character, my mistake. :)

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Those chests aren't stealing. I also believe that it is the full intention of the developers for us to have access to those. There are tons of other chests in the game than you can use plates and crap to get to by glitching the game. All the items in those chests are marked as stolen, which implies that there are two different grades of hidden chests. Ones the developers do not want you to have access to and the ones they do. Markarth, Solitude and Dawnstar chests are not game breaking by any means and are a great way for veteran players who have done it all to do it all again with less bricks in the briefcase.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth Daelon... :)

Daelon DuLac

Those chests aren't stealing. I also believe that it is the full intention of the developers for us to have access to those. There are tons of other chests in the game than you can use plates and crap to get to by glitching the game. All the items in those chests are marked as stolen, which implies that there are two different grades of hidden chests. Ones the developers do not want you to have access to and the ones they do. Markarth, Solitude and Dawnstar chests are not game breaking by any means and are a great way for veteran players who have done it all to do it all again with less bricks in the briefcase.

I know, I know. I just can't! I'm such a freak. I shouldn't look at it as stealing if the game says it isn't, but I just feel like I'm betraying people I actually like if I do. Like I said. Now, if I could murder them and then take their stuff, maybe, but I just can't without it. :sadface:

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation

I know, I know. I just can't! I'm such a freak. I shouldn't look at it as stealing if the game says it isn't, but I just feel like I'm betraying people I actually like if I do. Like I said. Now, if I could murder them and then take their stuff, maybe, but I just can't without it. :sadface:
so its no prob to murder innocent kahjitte caravens but a total no no to steal from them? lmfao!! you're hillarious m8..

Daelon DuLac

so its no prob to murder innocent kahjitte caravens but a total no no to steal from them? lmfao!! you're hillarious m8..
Apparently. :) Like I said, I need help. :)

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
Apparently. :) Like I said, I need help. :)
nah, don't feel bad m8, i have ocd as well.. mine is just kinda the opposite. lol

victorv

Hands, i mean, paws down the funniest i have seen in a while

Sent from my GT-S7562L using Tapatalk

victorv

In my opinion, once i play the game (main quests and guild quests + other relevant quests) i see it as a treat. How uber can my character be? First do the hard work then go and have some fun.

Sent from my GT-S7562L using Tapatalk

berzum

Why is the alto wine always gone?
the alchemy/enchanting/smithing/restoration "glitch" isn't a good example of a the term glitch. now a good example of the terms glitch is the one in white run where you fall through floor, the devs didnt intend for us to be able to get into the area, IMO. now as far as crafting potions and all that jazz, yeah it can be game breaking but so can playing on novice with deadric armor fully refined (without using the exploit). it's a personal call in the end just think people need to be carefulh when throwing out terms like glitching or bugs and not knowing the actual meaning. Glitch means using an exploit to obtain something that the dev's didnt want you to have or obtain access too, if they didnt want us to have god like gear then they wouldn't let us make potion to boost enchanting and then make gear that increase alchemy to make uber potions, but some people lack knowledge, so b4 you call something a glitch, look up the term and do some research instead of making Res Tardo statements.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
Personally, I would never use glitches to make myself insanely powerful in Skyrim. I don't like it when a game loses all of it's challenge, and glitching in this game makes it far too easy. You get almost too powerful anyway, regardless of any glitching in this game, once you get past level 50 or so and you start to get the really good perks for your particular build.

That being said, it doesn't really bother me if someone else likes to glitch in Skyrim, because it's not a multiplayer game. It won't affect the balance in your own game at all, so there is no point in trying to convince anyone else to play legit.