Why do the Dawnguard use Huskies?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Moris

I used to have an Irish Wolfhound. She was a rescue and had been found tied up in a crack house after a police raid. Drug dealers were fond of expensive and "exotic" pure breeds back then, and wolfhounds are big animals.

At home, she was a complete wuss with people. If you got mad at something she did and you yelled at her, she'd curl up into the tightest little ball you can imagine and lie down in a corner like you'd just broken her heart, and she'd lie like that for ages. Away from home, she was a big friendly lug. But if she felt threatened, she was terrifying. Something about her size. It was nothing for her to stand on her hind legs and slouch with her elbows on the shoulders of a full grown man. If she got excited, her tail would knock plates off the dinner table. She was that tall.

I had a couple of pitbull/husky mixes (we thought, but were never sure) that were rescues, found in the woods abandoned as pups. I don't know if it was seriously abusive early life experiences or some other factor, but they were very difficult to socialize and had to wear muzzles whenever we took them to the vet. They never hurt anyone, but they certainly threatened to. Walking them down the street was often an exercise in control, and they would growl, hackles raised, at people on the other side of the street. Some people thought they might actually have been partly hybrid rather than husky, since that was all the rage at the time in Texas.

So, yeah. Our vets told us that some breeds did have a more energetic and/or aggressive nature that made them less tolerant of sudden or unpredictable behaviour from humans, making them less suitable as companions for children. Border collies and Chow-Chows were considered the most dangerous to kids for this reason. I myself think the pitbull, rottweiler, shepherd, dobie issues have more to do with them being the dogs of choice for people who want guard dogs. They make them into the sort of dangerous animal they want by keeping them tied up all day, or completely alone in an enclosure.

To make a dog aggressive all you have to do is mistreat it. Even if you treat it very well, we found out, if you fail to socialize it, it could well be quite aggressive to strangers. Of course, maybe our two hyper aggressive dogs really were part wolf. We'll never know.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
ITT cuteness overload. <3

I've always wondered why huskies are so "talkative" - out of all the dog breeds I've encountered, they just seem to make the most funny noises and respond in howls when you talk to them. I mean, my dog kind of 'learned' to whine and howl in the past year or so, but only to get out of taking a bath or begging for food. Is it 'cause huskies are pack dogs?

Howling is their communication, since they're pack dogs it is like genetic to speak to another for them. They will howl and stand their ground if they get in trouble by you and don't see you as the alpha of the pack. Which is rather amusing to see because it is like they're back chatting.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I used to have an Irish Wolfhound. She was a rescue and had been found tied up in a crack house after a police raid. Drug dealers were found of expensive and "exotic" pure breeds back then, and wolfhounds are big animals.

At home, she was a complete wuss with people. If you got mad at something she did and you yelled at her, she'd curl up into the tightest little ball you can imagine and lie down in a corner like you'd just broken her heart, and she'd lie like that for ages. Away from home, she was a big friendly lug. But if she felt threatened, she was terrifying. Something about her size. It was nothing for her to stand on her hind legs and slouch with her elbows on the shoulders of a full grown man. If she got excited, her tail would knock plates off the dinner table. She was that tall.

I had a couple of pitbull/husky mixes (we thought, but were never sure) that were rescues, found in the woods abandoned as pups. I don't know if it was seriously abusive early life experiences or some other factor, but they were very difficult to socialize and had to wear muzzles whenever we took them to the vet. They never hurt anyone, but they certainly threatened to. Walking them down the street was often an exercise in control, and they would growl, hackles raised, at people on the other side of the street. Some people thought they might actually have been partly hybrid rather than husky, since that was all the rage at the time in Texas.

So, yeah. Our vets told us that some breeds did have a more energetic and/or aggressive nature that made them less tolerant of sudden or unpredictable behaviour from humans, making them less suitable as companions for children. Border collies and Chow-Chows were considered the most dangerous to kids for this reason. I myself think the pitbull, rottweiler, shepherd, dobie issues have more to do with them being the dogs of choice for people who want guard dogs. They make them into the sort of dangerous animal they want by keeping them tied up all day, or completely alone in an enclosure.

To make a dog aggressive all you have to do is mistreat it. Even if you treat it very well, we found out, if you fail to socialize it, it could well be quite aggressive to strangers. Of course, maybe our two hyper aggressive dogs really were part wolf. We'll never know.

My god, she lives. :p

Moris

Moris

Haha. The thread of doom.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. LOL.

ETA: Well.... unless the subject of Irish Wolfhounds comes up there, that is.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I was thinking exactly the same thing. LOL.

ETA: Well.... unless the subject of Irish Wolfhounds comes up there, that is.

Lol, you missed all the fun. Awhile back it was Imperials defending Kodlak because the Stormcloak supporters didn't believe him to be a true Nord. Them crazy Stormcloaks at times haha.

Sounds like a cute dog, do you have any new pets now?

Moris

Lol, you missed all the fun. Awhile back it was Imperials defending Kodlak because the Stormcloak supporters didn't believe him to be a true Nord. Them crazy Stormcloaks at times haha.

Sounds like a cute dog, do you have any new pets now?

I read part of the thread. But I think it's probably more entertaining if you're actively participating. From a spectator's view, it's pure chaos. Heh.

We can't have pets in this building, alas. Not even a cat or a bird. The vacancy rates in this city are very low and it's hard to find a place at all. So few tolerate animals. Well, animals of the furry variety. For reasons which are beyond my comprehension, the drunken break the glass on the front door and puke in the elevator type of animal is never adequately screened out just because they only walk on all fours when they've had too much to drink.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I read part of the thread. But I think it's probably more entertaining if you're actively participating. From a spectator's view, it's pure chaos. Heh.

We can't have pets in this building, alas. Not even a cat or a bird. The vacancy rates in this city are very low and it's hard to find a place at all. So few tolerate animals. Well, animals of the furry variety. For reasons which are beyond my comprehension, the drunken break the glass on the front door and puke in the elevator type of animal is never adequately screened out just because they only walk on all fours when they've had too much to drink.

Hahahahaha, I'll get you a pet rock.

Moris

Hahahahaha, I'll get you a pet rock.

LOL! Great idea! I think they'd let me have one of those. I could take it outside and take it for rolls. Or for kicks.

Moris

Would be really funny because it is always 'stoned' :p

Well, that'd really fit in around here. I live downtown in a BC city. I smell the rich aroma of our number one export coming from my neighbours (and from people just walking down the street smoking) every day.

ETA: But we'd better get back to dogs, or else we are seriously derailing the thread. :)

higgi07

People are being ignorant, huskies can make very good guard dogs with the right training, perhaps all of you have house dogs. Back in the day they made excellent guard dogs, no one obviosuly red what I said earlier.
What you said earlier was quoted from wikipedia which is not exactly accurate information. I'm going on from personal experience and from other husky owners. And breeders warn potential buyers that they are not guard dogs. They have strong predatory insticts so they would go for small animals/rodents but thats it. If you want a guard dog, go for a Rottweiler or German Shepherd

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Saint Vicious

Still sober
Ive had a many of dog. And liked every one of them. But the most faithful and reliable pet ive ever had was a hog. I caught it a few years ago after the sow was killed by a truck. It was a roughly two to three week old, black boar hog. I named em Charlie. As long as you clip them while their young, and spend ALOT of time with them, wild hogs are very, very smart and tamable.

He knew his name and would come when you called him. He would give (piggy back?) rides to my younger niece, always extremely careful not to knock her off. He'd scare the hell out of folks when they pulled up in the yard. He'd run up squealing hair raised and fearsome. But, he just wanted a biscuit. I always fed him left over fast food biscuits.

He got along well with chickens, even ride them around sometimes. But hated a rattle snake, he killed three that I know of when we where walking though fields. He died after getting into a cotton field treated with temik (the strongest pesticide you can get). The man leasing the land was not allowed to use temik for these reasons. So I cut his lease off real quick, I was mighty pissed.

Point is, if you want a good pet, get a pig.

higgi07

Ive had a many of dog. And liked every one of them. But the most faithful and reliable pet ive ever had was a hog. I caught it a few years ago after the sow was killed by a truck. It was a roughly two to three week old, black boar hog. I named em Charlie. As long as you clip them while their young, and spend ALOT of time with them, wild hogs are very, very smart and tamable.

He knew his name and would come when you called him. He would give (piggy back?) rides to my younger niece, always extremely careful not to knock her off. He'd scare the hell out of folks when the pulled up in the yard. He'd run up squealing hair raised and fearsome. But, he just wanted a biscuit. I always fed him left over fast food biscuits.

He got along well with chickens, even ride them around sometimes. But hated a rattle snake, he killed three that I know of when we where walking though fields. He died after getting into a cotton field treated with temik (the strongest pesticide you can get). The man leasing the land was not allowed to use temik for these reasons. So I cut his lease off real quick, I was mighty pissed.

Point is, if you want a good pet, get a pig.
That's awesome!

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
What you said earlier was quoted from wikipedia which is not exactly accurate information. I'm going on from personal experience and from other husky owners. And breeders warn potential buyers that they are not guard dogs. They have strong predatory insticts so they would go for small animals/rodents but thats it. If you want a guard dog, go for a Rottweiler or German Shepherd

I've had to get a Husky put down after I took it in from these people because they were moving away and couldn't have him anymore and he needed a home. I later found out it was mistreated by it's previous owner and was very aggressive. Would try to bite, growl at anyone coming near it and would attack my husky that I've had since she was a puppy, which was so sad because they're such lovely dogs and this one just snapped under animal cruelty.

It was a beautiful dog who more than likely once had a beautiful nature. He just became so scared of people to the point of thinking it needed to defend itself always, it'd cower from men and attack women.

Ritterkreuz

Can I get a husky as a pet or a follower in the game now that I have Dawngaurd?

Finnsson

Prince of Denmark
I have a Scottish Terrier, a very reliable watchdog and a decent guard dog considering his breed's teeth grow to German Shepherd proportions. If only he would start listening to my commands instead of barking at squirrels... then he'd be a Dawnguard recruit. Scotties + Skyrim = a hostile environment, just cuter.

And who said huskies can't be good guard dogs?

imagesCAIW6HSL.jpg

Say it to his face.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts