Why do the Dawnguard use Huskies?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

higgi07

I always wordered this, personally I own a husky called Kody and I know quite a bit about them and they would make the worst guard dog in the planet. They are not aggressive even to someone breaking into your house. I reckon the chose them because of their wolf-like look and the climate of skyrim. Anyway here's s a pic of the said rascal...
uploadfromtaptalk1359575629627.jpg

Pete

A German Shepard seems like a good replacement. I suspect they were chosen its due to Skyrims northern climate.

higgi07

A German Shepard seems like a good replacement. I suspect they were chosen its due to Skyrims northern climate.
Due to change them to German Shepherds so i don't feel as bad about killing them on my vampire character lol

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Yeah I own a husky also, she is rather amusing. She would talk back (howl) if she got in trouble by someone she didn't see as dominant. Though like any animal they can be made aggressive. If they're brought up right by a loving family then yeah they will be loving. Though will defend their food to the death, which is why you don't want to move their food away while they're eating.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Yup mines is the same, the noises they make are hilarious. I want Dawnguard armour for him for Halloween :p

I like making my growl when playing tug of war with her, you touch the side of her face and she'll make this growl noise. But she'd never bite because she is a wuss. She'd lick you to death before biting.

Escape artists though, I've had to go and find her so many times.

Shadow King

Grand master of the Order of Talos.
My Mum and dad have 2 Rootweilers and 1 doberman, maybe they would have been better for the Dawnguard, but bearing in mind ure husky is a loving family dog, other huskies could be trained to be vicious guard dogs, but I know what ya mean bro. Btw Beautiful dog ya got there

higgi07

I like making my growl when playing tug of war with her, you touch the side of her face and she'll make this growl noise. But she'd never bite because she is a wuss. She'd lick you to death before biting.

Escape artists though, I've had to go and find her so many times.
Mines goes bonkers if you cover his eyes with your hand lol. Yeah they are very licky dogs, and mines went a random trip about my town one day when he jumped my 5' fence lol. Luckily I found him at my local Tesco playing with another dog.

Gunnbjorn

Formerly known as Arillious
I always wordered this, personally I own a husky called Kody and I know quite a bit about them and they would make the worst guard dog in the planet. They are not aggressive even to someone breaking into your house. I reckon the chose them because of their wolf-like look and the climate of skyrim. Anyway here's s a pic of the said rascal...
View attachment 3864

Awesome looking dog, his eyes look really cool.

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
I would say that it was due to the climate, I myself used to have a male german shepherd and I think they would be much better suited. They are incredibly territorial and protective yet at the same time they are affectionate and good with young children and other animals.
My dog could hear anything from a mile away and when he was mad all of his fur on his back would stand up straight, he must've scared people to death at times, they certainly look intimidating and he was incredibly strong.

higgi07

Awesome looking dog, his eyes look really cool.
Yeah he's bi-eyed. One ice blue the other is dark brown. I like to think of it as his alter ego like Sheogorath. Damn that would have been a good name! Doesn't quite roll of the tongue though

AS88

Staff member
I would say that it was due to the climate, I myself used to have a male german shepherd and I think they would be much better suited. They are incredibly territorial and protective yet at the same time they are affectionate and good with young children and other animals.
My dog could hear anything from a mile away and when he was mad all of his fur on his back would stand up straight, he must've scared people to death at times, they certainly look intimidating and he was incredibly strong.

I've had 2 German Shepherds, and they've both been amazing. We had one when I was no more than 5 or 6, best guard dog you could hope for (she could hear when someone stepped from the sidewalk/pavement into our driveway, from around the back of the house), but was so affectionate and trustworthy. I would've loved to have seen some in Dawnguard. Maybe there's a mod somewhere, or will be?

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
Not a husky expert here, but I recall a book I had to read back in like, grade school which I think was written by the guy who wrote Hatchet. Pretty much this Inuit kid gets lost in the arctic with a pack of huskies or something and later in the book the pack of dogs gangs up on and kills a polar bear.

Not sure how authentic it is, but the guy who wrote these books seemed to know what he was talking about. Maybe it just depends on how and where the dog is being raised up. :D

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Medea

The Shadow Queen
I hate it when I have to kill dogs, or any mundane animal really, in any video game. Usually I'll let my follower do it or I'll cast a calm spell on the dog and run away from it.

I wish there was a Cesar Millan command or something. You could just hold the dog down until it gave up and then it would see you as it's dominant alpha. Or you could point your finger at it and go "SSSST!" and it would not attack you.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
I own a Husky/German Shepherd mix and I agree, he's not a very good watch dog. To be fair, he's a the best dog I've ever owned. Loyal, obedient, and just a pleasure in every sense of the word. Such a good dog.

I think they went with the Husky (or Norwegian Elkhound, which is a good suggestion) purely for the looks, more than anything. I actually don't use them in the game because I feel like they look kind of out of place.

For you Husky lovers, Google the dog: vallhund. It's a Swedish dog that's basically a Corgi and a Husky mixed. Awesome looking dogs and if they share personality traits of either the Corgi or Husky, I bet they're great dogs to own.

Ilrita

The Imperial Storm
If you teach a Husky to be aggressive, he/she will be so. The same can be said for most dogs.

shadowqueenMedea; me too. I hate it. I usually just run away from wolves or any wild animal trying to eat me.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts