Why do the Dawnguard use Huskies?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

AS88

Staff member
You need to change your avatar to the penultimate one :p One of the cutest dog pics I have ever seen

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
It can differ in the way people bring them up and train them, they are one of the oldest dog breeds which can account for being in this game. They are very fast and can hunt large game, AND "Guard villages in the northern region" (Of alaska) They are very good in fights, Especially with wolves (Real life).

The other breed of dog resembles that of the irish wolfhound which can also account for being in skyrim and cold regions.

Cyrodiil dogs resemble some-what of the german sheperd.

I really dont know what to say about the blood-hounds, Some ill bred mutation of a rot weiler?

RY14NCE

Dragonborn
I also have a husky, called Aysha. There is no way on earth i would be scared of one if i was a vampire, they are basically the worst guard dogs in the history of ever. Their loyalties lie with whoever they think is most likely to give them food, and if there is no food they will just lie down. ( like the third picture down in the post a few above this one, i have no idea why they lie like that )

She was actually on TV here in the UK, they did like a drag race where they had to pull a bone over a set distance. Kind of biased towards Huskies, but anyway, she won.

Aysha snow_c001.jpg

higgi07

From experience I would say they would be useless guard dogs, they are far too friendly to hurt a human being compared to some other breeds. I know people will look at them and think because they sort of look like wolves, they would rip someone to shreds but thats not true. They are the perfect dogs for active families and are one of the best breeds to be around young children.

Saint Vicious

Still sober
Not a husky expert here, but I recall a book I had to read back in like, grade school which I think was written by the guy who wrote Hatchet. Pretty much this Inuit kid gets lost in the arctic with a pack of huskies or something and later in the book the pack of dogs gangs up on and kills a polar bear.

Not sure how authentic it is, but the guy who wrote these books seemed to know what he was talking about. Maybe it just depends on how and where the dog is being raised up. :D

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

That's Gary Paulsen. He does know a bit about the outdoors and survival. But, he's also trying to write an entertaining book for children. So some facts may be stretched, such as the dogs killing a bear. I'm not the one to say if they can of if they can't. But, I have never heard of it happening before. Only in a book.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
That's Gary Paulsen. He does know a bit about the outdoors and survival. But, he's also trying to write an entertaining book for children. So some facts may be stretched, such as the dogs killing a bear. I'm not the one to say if they can of if they can't. But, I have never heard of it happening before. Only in a book.
A pack of wolves can take down a small bear, it's true. However, wolves are not dogs, no matter how wolf-like Huskies are. That being said, a dog sled team is a tightly knit pack and that includes the human. If an outside threat did attack, it would absolutely be plausible that the pack would fight together to defend themselves. It's nowhere near as surgical and lethal as a wild pack of wolves, but it would be a collective fight for their lives.

I don't think that has much to do with the Dawnguard using Huskies, though. I think Huskies are just cute and often go hand-in-hand with snowy climates. :D

Moonwort

Really? No one for Nanook? What other vampire killing dog (a husky) has there ever been? Or maybe it is just because huskies are cool...

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
Just a very old dogbreed. Also fit to live in Skyrim climate ;)
I have to admit I'm glad with the introductions of this breed in Skyrim. I was never a fan of the Irish Wolfhound breed...

MrDSL

Why would huskies in skyrim be like huskies in our world? Its not like chihuahuas are running around in human clothes in Paris Hiltons hand bag.

The Laoch

He is the Prince of Order. Or was it biscuits?
They should use Irish Wolfhounds. they were breed to kill wolves. I always wanted to buy one.

Edit: My bad I was just reading and apparently normal dogs in skyrim are modeled after Irish Woldhounds. I guess I never made the connection. The only thing is they got their size wrong.

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
People are being ignorant, huskies can make very good guard dogs with the right training, perhaps all of you have house dogs. Back in the day they made excellent guard dogs, no one obviosuly red what I said earlier.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Be careful when the little one grows up. Two huskies will sing to each other, the howling will go on for hours.

HAH! Oh my gods, I have a Husky/German Shepherd mix and he does that all the time. Well, him and I do it and we can seriously go on for quite awhile (much to the dismay of the poor souls within earshot). I had absolutely no idea that this was something Huskies did, I just assumed he was being quirky. We kind of sound like the second video, to be honest.

LOL, I love my dog. :DI guess for me to sit there and do this with him for any length of time, I would have to love him...and him me.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
HAH! Oh my gods, I have a Husky/German Shepherd mix and he does that all the time. Well, him and I do it and we can seriously go on for quite awhile (much to the dismay of the poor souls within earshot). I had absolutely no idea that this was something Huskies did, I just assumed he was being quirky. We kind of sound like the second video, to be honest.

LOL, I love my dog. :DI guess for me to sit there and do this with him for any length of time, I would have to love him...and him me.

I do it to my Husky also and she'll go on for ages.

Karen

boop.
ITT cuteness overload. <3

I've always wondered why huskies are so "talkative" - out of all the dog breeds I've encountered, they just seem to make the most funny noises and respond in howls when you talk to them. I mean, my dog kind of 'learned' to whine and howl in the past year or so, but only to get out of taking a bath or begging for food. Is it 'cause huskies are pack dogs?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts