Who is your Favorite"Jarl"?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
I agree , she is not a real leader , she is like a princes . actually the rule of solitude is in Tullius hands .
but she is my fav jarl cuz she is beautiful :p

I agreed. She is more of a princess with fragile nails then anything else. If she was more like Legate Rikke, and actually fighting against the Stormcloaks as a legionnaire then I would most likely have a different opinion towards her. I would actually agreed of her rightful status of High Queen of Skyrim.

Elisif Reminds me of Princess Vespa from Spaceballs

Now if she took this approach and became aggressive then perhaps Skyrim may have a chance with her being High Queen.
I suppose If the stormcloaks chopped off some of her hair with their swords then maybe we can get something out of this woman.

Docta Corvina

As I said before I do give Elisif some slack because shes grieving over the loss of her husband... however that's not an excuse for the inexperience in politics. If she did became High Queen of Skyrim shes going to be needing A LOT of counseling on proper politics. Does Skyrim really need to have a Queen to come at pace or does Skyrim needs experience? That's why Ulfric is the suitable for the title of High King. He knows how to lead base on past experience. He already showed his leadership when he help Igmund retake back the reach from the forsworn. Experience matter. If the dominion came barging to Skyrim what is Elisif going to do? Throw brooms at them? She has no battle experience. Ulfric is right in respect that she will hand over skyrim to the elves on a silver plate.

As far as Balgruuf... Little to no information is given to us about him, and with his piss poor attitude about “Oh I don't care who the imperials want to execute” shows me how little he cares for his people. If the imperials were executing babies this man wouldn't have a care in the world.

I don't think I actually said mourning her husband had anything to do with political experience? o_O I agree that she's inexperienced militarily, but I don't think that makes her a bad person or a totally unfit Jarl/Queen. I don't see any immediate examples of any horrific incompetence on her part. Some in Solitude may say she's easily lead, but all I can actually see is a poised and somewhat reserved leader who's having to deal with quite a bit at the current moment. Given Solitude's long-standing connections to the Empire, I hardly see how it's at all surprising that Tullius and the military portion of the government would be closely associated. Again, I don't think that means she's a hapless puppet.

Comparing her to Ulfric is dangerous territory. As I alluded to earlier in my Lost in Space post, it's a hare's breath away from reigniting the Civil War debate, which I do not wish to do here given the plethora of threads for that madness. I will say that what I have seen of Ulfric and Elisif's rules comparatively, Elisif will win every time, because for one thing, at least she's not openly apathetic toward a portion of her constituency. There's no comparable Gray Quarter situation in Solitude. The overall social climate there is hardly the same. You can argue (as I know people will) til the cows come home that Ulfric is justified, yadda yadda, but the fact remains that that is essentially shrugging off mandated segregation and a shirking of a Jarl's full duties to all in his Hold. And I'm not just speaking of the Dark Elf situation. There's also the issue of lack of aid to those outside of the city but within Eastmarch as well - those who aren't Nords. But anyway, I'm doing my best not to retread those paths in this thread for now. All I'll say is that experience in a leader is one thing, but if it's co-opted for less than admirable/positive ends, it counts for naught.

As for dismissing Balgruuf out of hand like that, I seriously have to wonder why and how anyone could do that. Please tell me when he said, "I don't care who the Imperials want to execute" and all of that. Because the Balgruuf in the game I played was very, very keen and serious about coming to the aid of his people on more than one occasion.

Torok

Elisif gets my vote for best Jarl.

Kulaasvokul

Do you mind? I'm busy doing the fish stick!
I like Elisif too. Shes adorable. :D

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
Outside of Maven, I like all the Imperial replacement Jarls more than any of the original ones (even Balgruuf). All of them are focused on equality and making things better for the people of their hold.

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
That's why Ulfric is the suitable for the title of High King. He knows how to lead base on past experience. He already showed his leadership when he help Igmund retake back the reach from the forsworn. Experience matter. If the dominion came barging to Skyrim what is Elisif going to do? Throw brooms at them? She has no battle experience. Ulfric is right in respect that she will hand over skyrim to the elves on a silver plate.
For what it's worth, what does battle prowess have to do with a persons ability to rule? Have you played Dragon Age Origins? Queen Anora is a fantastic leader and I'm pretty sure she's never set foot on a battlefield. Or have you read/watched a Game of Thrones? Robert Baratheon was one of the greatest warriors ever but made a crappy king. Physical strength and war experience has very little to do with how good of a leader someone is.

ReaperHemingway

Balgruuf definitely gets this one for me. Even as a Stormcloak, I wished there was some way I could just beat some sense into him and make him switch sides, since he's a much better option than Vignar, who is just a grumpy old man who seems to hate everything.

Balgruuf knows I'm the Dragonborn, and he still has the balls to draw his weapon and take me on himself. Then he has to good sense to realize he's beaten, and surrenders for the sake of Whiterun.
Now that is a true leader.

It sucks, because with my current character, I don't even really want to finish the whole Stormcloak storyline... I just want that jerk Siddgeir gone from Falkreath, since I plan on building my home in Falkreath hold when Hearthfire is released for PC.

Only good thing about Balgruuf getting kicked from Whiterun is that it's bad news for Adrianne, who I personally find to be one of the most annoying characters in the game.

andrew9300

Jarl Balgruuf is by far my favorite Jarl. I might have sided with the Stormcloaks, but I give my respect to the man. I see the other former Jarls' complaining and how much they hate me. However, I never heard a bad word come out of his mouth. I have my respect for him, and if I ever do another play through I will send Ulfric's ass to Sovngarde

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
Only good thing about Balgruuf getting kicked from Whiterun is that it's bad news for Adrianne, who I personally find to be one of the most annoying characters in the game.

What??! The Blacksmith Girl? Why hate her? She's Always trying to show you her "Nice Pieces!" :D
Don't you like Girls with Nice pieces?

ReaperHemingway

What??! The Blacksmith Girl? Why hate her? She's Always trying to show you her "Nice Pieces!" :D
Don't you like Girls with Nice pieces?
Haha, I get the feeling that her "nice pieces" are only for her father...who she "helps in more ways than one." That phrase, the way she says it, just sounds disgusting.
Also, if she wants to help her business, she should probably stop constantly telling everyone how much better Eorland Gray-Mane is.

ReaperHemingway

*sigh* .. See Docta, we were just talking about Weapons and Armor. Your Such a Sick-O!:vomit:
Haha, right just weapons and armour, as evidenced by your 'nice pieces' comment.
Whatever, try not to take things too seriously.

Would I be less of a sicko if I talked about how fun it is to murder people?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts