Who is not going to play TESO?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Wildroses

I once had a lot of trouble persuading someone who knew I was a huge Skyrim fan I had no desire or intention of playing the Elder Scrolls online. I had to tell him three times in as many minutes that to me gaming was my alone time, my me time, a time for me to relax and be free of all social expectations and demands and he still didn't get it. He just kept looking blankly at me and saying: "But it's Skyrim online. A new Elder Scrolls game. Why are you so sure you won't like it?" In the end I was driven to saying: "Because I hate people."

One aspect of MMOs which hasn't been bought up yet that really turned me off was other people being polite and friendly. Yes, that bothered me. When I logged on, it was because I had my own goals and plans for my play session, and the last thing I wanted was someone walking up to me saying "Hello. Could you please give me a hand with this boss/quest?" But every single time I said: "Yes," because politeness should be rewarded and I didn't want become what I hated in MMOs, and had to run around after the other person being helpful and nice while not letting my inner resentment at doing this instead of what I wanted rise to the surface.

I'm just not the MMO type, so I won't be playing Elder Scrolls Online.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I most likely won't be, MMO's aren't my thing, I can barely put up with myself when playing TES.

Thousands of other people? Yeah, no.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
I just want them to make TES:VI for all of us commoners who don't play on pc.

Isn't TESO on all systems? PC, Xbox One & PS4?

I don't really know that much about it to be honest as I am not interested in playing it. But my Xbox360 is barely 6 months old so I am not going to be getting an Xbox one in the near future, nor do I have gold. From what I have read it seems like a hell of a lot of money to outlay just to play with other people. Not my bag baby :p

Adam Warlock

So eventually the new Fallout first , THEN maybe ES VI ?

What are we talking here , about four years ?

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I just want them to make TES:VI for all of us commoners who don't play on pc.

Isn't TESO on all systems? PC, Xbox One & PS4?

but what about those who can't/won't get one of those?

I don't see the connection to what I was replying to. She said who don't play on PC, I saw ads and even ads on our site showing it on the next gen consoles.

If people can't get a next gen console they can't play TESO. But I'm sure over the next couple years, many will have most likely bought one. If people won't get one, well that is too bad and you can't play. Times change, consoles get outdated.

Gaming Companies can now do a lot more on the next generations, and they will be mainly doing games for the next generations or PC's. So if people won't get next gen and don't have PC. They can forget about TES VI also?

Just because you can't get a next gen this second, doesn't mean you can suddenly forget about TESO. It'll be around for awhile, I'm sure people can still give it a go when they do decide to get the next generation. There isn't a time limit going on.

JClarke1953

I won't be playing TESO for several reason's.

One is the monthly fee. Too some, $15.00 per month to play is okay. I used to play WoW, and played for 4-5 year's. I quit 4 or so year's ago when gas went up, and the $15.00 was needed for our household.

The XBox I play on was/is our son's, it's the slim black XBox, and he bought it when it first came out. So I've no idea how much longer it will last. I do have it raised 1/2" from the surface it's on to help with heat exchange. And buying a new one at this time is out of the question.

And as far as multiplayer? Doing that is like driving during rush hour. You cannot control what some idiot is doing or not doing. People will play on a team and just mess the whole thing up, on purpose, just because they can. And know very little can be done about it.

Then there's also a very strong probability of hacking, such as happened in the past, and still does. Many out there don't know that there are people who invest in the software and hardware to hack. And that is all they do. Look at what's happened to retailer's, and now several major hotel's, and the many other hacks into our systems.

Finally, for me personally, it will be probable language problems. I'm no Saint by any means. Thing is, there are word's I do not say, or quit saying. And I just, well, cannot handle hearing F-this or that, MF this or that, CS this or that.

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
I will not be playing.

Aside from the already mentioned items (being able to do what you want, subscription fee, etc), there is also a loss of uniqueness.

You want to be the ultimate warrior in the land? Too bad, 50,000 other people already beat you there. The ultimate sneak-thief? Sorry, you were just pick-pocketed 5 times while you were creating your character. You want to do the quest you were just given to help protect the NPC inhabitants of the land? Ignore the 20 other characters gathered around the same NPC getting the same quest, or killing (i.e. grinding) the same 10 enemies, or exiting the dungeon you are about to go clear. You want unique armor that NPCs look upon with envy? Yeah. . .no. 18,000 other characters are sporting the same exact look as you (only they had it 4 months before you did because they don't have a real job and live in their parent's basement playing the game non-stop).

In Skyrim, I am the only one the NPC's look to for help (since the guards are too busy shaking down the locals to go take care of bandits). If I want to wear fancy armor or attempt to blend in it is entirely up to me and no one is doing the same thing (in my game at least). I can pause the game to take care of real-life issues happening around me and I can save and quit in the middle of a battle (not generally recommended as getting hit during reload is a high possibility). I don't spend an hour in town doing nothing waiting for a team to form so I can go on a quest that is impossible to solo. The world of Skyrim revolves around me and I alone determine the fate of it. (hmmm, that sounds kinda creepy...)

It's why I couldn't play any of the superhero MMOs (or any other MMO for that matter) for more than two weeks. I was not a unique superhero. I was one of thousands. I was not needed.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
The thing that draws people to multiplayer is the chance to play with other people. After all, that's the whole point of MULTIplayer. But it's such a mixed bag unless you know lots of people who can all play at the same time you want to play. I haven't been interested in multiplayer since Halo 2. I got soured on it quickly because of immature (figuratively and literally) players. They're everywhere, in every game.

I know the future of gaming is online and it saddens me a bit because I'm pretty sure single player will suffer as companies direct most of their time and resources to the online portion. Many games (especially RPG types such as Skyrim) play better as single player, in my opinion. I don't begrudge those that like to play with/against others but I hope there is always a strong enough market for those of us that just want to play by ourselves.

JClarke1953

Time was a huge problem for me, as I used to play with a Clan (Jett Clan) on WoW. I live on the East Coast, and the people I played lived in the Midwest or the West Coast. So I'd be at a dungeon perhaps at 0100, then some of us would have to wait for those who didn't show up with potion's, gear or whatever.

Then we might hit the dungeon at 0200, and maybe finish at 0400. Then there was also timing to get into an arena or dungeon, as many other Clan's or group's would be at the same place, waiting their turn. Which could be up to an hour or more.

Twiffle

I wont be playing online, , will cost me about £600 to be able to play, not including purchasing the game, i would need a new xbox one and an xbox gold subscription, and they have been so narrow minded in not making it compatible with PS3 or xbox360 to be honest they have lost me now, i aint bothered anymore, if my xbox blows up ill go outside and play something else instead of sitting inside on a machine, so Microsoft, Bethesda and all the others involved you have lost my money, and i imagine many many 1000's more who would like to have played but will keep there hard earned cash and use it elsewhere, , IMO.

thats my 2 bob, dont shout its just an opinion,

AS88

Staff member
I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here and contrast some points in the interest of balance. I am hoping to play ESO, either on PC or PS4, but currently don't have the funds.

In response to those arguing against the monthly subscription:
Some of you make valid points in that to pay for a game and then pay a subscription is too much. I assume I am right in saying that the most successful MMO in the USA and Europe is World of Warcraft, which did the same. TES players are obviously used to paying one price for the game, another for the DLC, and that's it, which is great for a single-player game that's not an MMO. The thing is, how do you expect that Zenimax will continue to develop new content and update (or finish, in my opinion) the game with things like the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood and a justice system, as well as the fact that they plan to release 'DLC-style' content every six weeks or so, if players pay once and then never again? A monthly subscription is the only way to ensure continued development and improvement in an MMO, rightly or wrongly. The free to play argument just makes no sense to me.

However, I really hope that the paid exclusives and pre-order bonuses aren't a sign of things to come as far as a 'pay to win' system goes. If that is the case, my interest would wane significantly.

In response to those mentioning hardware:
This is 2014. A few years ago when PS2s and the original Xbox was phased out, did you say that it was unfair? If you want new games making the most of newer technology and advancements, this is the way it is. It would be simply impossible to play ESO on a 'past-gen' console. If you can't afford it, I echo DrunkenMage in pretty much saying it's tough. This is the way it's always been and the way it always will be. I don't think it's Zenimax's fault for making the game on the best new systems, that's common sense. I'll buy it when I can afford it, and that's my choice when the time comes.

In response to those saying that they don't like the idea of an MMO:
IT'S THE ELDER SCROLLS, YOU HAVE TO GET IT! :p Nahh, just kidding, but still. There will be so many books to read, places to find, interesting new weapons and armour, people to speak to, monsters to fight, etc, but all with other people! I've seen so many people on this website over the year and a half I've been here saying how much they want a 'Skyrim multiplayer.' I think this is as close as we're going to get, unless TES:VI really pulls something out of the bag.

In truth, despite all the news and build-up for TESO, I'm more intrigued about the future of the TES series with VI.

Tryn

Premium Member
I will be watching on the sidelines to see whether it will be worth while for me to purchase an Xbox One, and whether the monthly fee is worth it. But really, from experience, my biggest concern is that the game will get taken over by those whose main interest is exploiting flaws and turning it into a game of gang warfare.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Will not pay a subscription fee for a game. Period. Too many options available for non-subscription type gaming entertainment. Elder Scrolls is great... but not $15.00 a month great. No game is worth diving into a pool full of pre-teen whiners and squeakers. Been there, done that... never again.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?