What was your first Elder Scrolls experience like?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

UnLonged

True to the Name
The first thing I ever did after I got out of the sewers under the Imperial City is that I went straight to the Ayleid ruins at the opposite side of the lake. The enemies there were too hard for my sneaky Dunmer. I got frustrated for dying too many times, I found the stables just by the bridge and killed the owners. I was surprised to get the alert that my killings have been observed. I was all "What? But I was sneaking!!"

After endless waiting, nothing happened. I slept one day but got awoken immediately as the air grows chilly and this hooded man talked to me. I found my calling in life then and there.

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
Morrowind was my first, and it was good, if only I had a good pc at that time, So Oblivion was my first true experience "Yeeeeeeeeeessssss a game where you can attack people for no apparent reason and wear anything you want" That was what I said.

I cant stand games that go by there own direction and writers story and cant change anything except weapons.

Only game I can stray away from games like skyrim is Competitive Gun games like COD and Battlefield.

Clau

The Fateless One
I was frustrated with TES: Daggerfall back in 96. I was like six or seven years old back then. Could not grasp the point and click panels of the gameplay as it was very different from the games that I have been playing; namely Doom, Quake and Castle Wolfenstein.

Darth Brogan

Sith Lord
I was always a sci-fi guy, so I never really wanted to try out TES. Before Skyrim came out I heard some friends talking about how awesome it was going to be, so I decided to check it out on youtube. I was instantly amazed, and got it in December. It has been my all-time favorite game ever since. I recently bought Oblivion and the DLC, but I only played like 5-10 hours so far. I plan on getting Morrowind soon.

higgi07

First time I played a TES game was Oblivion around 5 years ago. I became hooked on it on xbox 360 for hundreds of hours, then the dlc came out and I was in there like a dog eating beans. I then got rid of my 360 for a ps3 and had to buy it all over again lol. Then I bought it on pc when I built my first gaming pc and got addicted all over again. Have been playing it ever since as its my all time favourite game, followed closely by the Metal Gear Solid Series. I then pre-ordered skyrim for pc and I remember the midnight release on steam very well cause it took about 20 mins before the game would even open haha. In short, TES games have this charm that makes them absorbing and engaging which I haven't found in any other game. Right now I am just over 600 hours of skyrim playtime which equals around £0.06 per hour for value for money. You can't beat that for value!

Skyrim was my first RPG game and I somwehow started with the HUD turned off and difficult on Master. To say I was lost is an understatement. Luckily, I found this site, and learned enough to reset the controls.

Daedra'Mc'Bitch

My first Elder Scrolls game was actually Skyrim, and I played it for the first time back in January 2012. Hell, I'd barely understood what "Elder Scrolls" was, so as opposed to believing Skyrim had many prequels, I thought it was just some game that stood on its own.

I already have a strong sense of nostalgia regarding my first playthrough, despite the fact that I've owned the game for only a year. The leveling, the size of the map, the freedom of choice, and the ability to mold my character, left me speechless at the time. It feels like I've owned the game forever.

That said, I wouldn't mind rewriting my past and having a shot at the earlier games when they were actually new.

OckhamsFolly

I was frustrated with TES: Daggerfall back in 96. I was like six or seven years old back then. Could not grasp the point and click panels of the gameplay as it was very different from the games that I have been playing; namely Doom, Quake and Castle Wolfenstein.

Was it really 96? Could of sworn it was 98. Must have been 10, not 11, then.

Props for being the only other person to start before Morrowind so far.

Soloquendi

Pastor of Muppets
Morrowind. I remember how clunky the movement controls were and how unfriendly all the NPC's were. I liked the detail, especially seeing everyday objects like cups and clothes irons. I did not like the main city. Too much wasted space. Very unrealistic. Oblivion was a big improvement.

I had heard of Daggerfall, but I spent most of the 90's overseas and never had time to play it.

jonathan90

well known member
For me it was around when I was about 9 and my brother had barrowed a copy of Oblivion from a friend. I hadn't been exposed to too much open world RPGs before this, so when I first started playing I was instantly hooked. I started off with my first ever character as an Orc, despite how ugly they may be I just find myself fascinated by them for some reason. I also always make sure to play Dwarves first whenever they're playable too, I'm just a sucker for warrior type races I guess. Anyways, I also remember how frightened I would be of doing the haunted ship quest in Anvil with the wraithmen, their faces just always freaked me out. Me and my other brother would always have to be in the same room to even attempt to walk in the ship, even then neither of us ever beat it except once I think when we tricked them to follow us outside. It was pretty bad, but were young! :p

Playing Oblivion also helped me expand to even more RPGs like Dragonage, Mass Effect, WoW, Fallout 3 and much more! Oblivion will always hold a special place in my heart as being my first RPG though. (That I can remember atleast)

What was your first experience like?
the first time I played skyrim...let me think,it was the start of 2012, and I had no idea on how to play the game. I started off with being an imperial,and I found myself in the most open world where anything could possibly happen. first I was in riverwood, and then I was in whiterun.

I first played the skyrim on the ps3 version afterwards I got an xbox 360 version!!!!and I love the DLC content. you are better off with the xbox 360 version. its so much cooler then ps3 version.just my opinion.

Ilrita

The Imperial Storm
I remember playing Morrowind for about fifteen minutes back in the day on the (first) Xbox, and Daggerfall for like a few minutes before that on my computer, a long time ago. I wasn't into games too much back then, with the exception of Zelda, so I put it down right after and never looked back. But then I got Skyrim for the PS3 when it came out and at first, I was overwhelmed by how different the game was from anything else I ever played and how hard it was—yes, I thought it was hard. I stopped playing a day after, not because I didn't like it, but because I didn't know how to play.

Two days later, I picked it up again after my friends instructed me on some things. I finally left Riverwood then and wandered the great open spaces for nearly three hours and learned how to play—at least how to attack, heal, move, run and equip things, as well as level up. I returned to Riverwood, by accident, and started getting back the Dragon Claw. Since then, I have really fallen for this type of game and the Elder Scrolls' world. I could sit on some ledge and look out into the world for hours, and I don't think I'll ever get bored with my bow or magic casting!

The Elder Scrolls opened me up to a whole different genre of gaming that I am finding out to have heavily influenced my tastes. Now it is hard for me to find a game I want to buy. I always think "No, I'm looking for something like The Elder Scrolls!". It is what made me get Dragon's Dogma, which has some massive potential.

But really I can't describe how my first experiance felt. The best adjective I could find was "overwhelming". lol

When I was 11, I had a friend up the street who had gotten Oblivion on release day for his Xbox. A few weeks later, he invited me to come try it...

He was such an asshole. He wouldn't let me be a Khajiit mage because "the tigers are sneaky not magic," and every time I had a problem with the combat he would just grab the controller and finish whatever I was doing for me.

Needless to say, I stopped being his friend after that. It wasn't until this year that I finally got a console of my own (ps3) and am enjoying Skyrim.

kyleekay

My first experience was watching one of my friends play Oblivion. As I watched him play, he told me that Skyrim would be coming out pretty soon. He chatted me up constantly, telling me to look into it, so I did. I'm definitely glad he urged me to purchase it, even though I'd never played any of the previous games. :)

Panda Rawrlord

Herald of Panda-Monium
My first TES game was Skyrim. When it was released that was all my friends would talk about. Heck even my 12th grade math teacher would talk about it during free time. I picked the game up with the mindset, 'This game cannot possibly be that good.' I've never been proven so wrong in my entire life.

Papzt

Started with Morrowind. Tbh I'm very happy with that. Would I've had started with Oblivion i wouldn't play tes anymore i guess. After Morrowind it was a big failure imho

Sent from my GT-I9300

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
My first experience was Oblivion, loved that game. All my friends had it so we'd compare with each other. I loved how I can do what I wanted in it, the experience for me was pretty cool I enjoyed it so much that I would just spend hours exploring. I had soon discovered the Gold Road was a dangerous road to travel on at low levels. When I first saw a gate of Oblivion was crazy and enemies coming out of it. I fell in love with the Elder scrolls because I love the romance of the times, swords and honor.

Zaan

Dunmer Enthusiast
Oblivion. I was unnaturally hooked on that game for the longest time... ended up clocking about 600 hours on it across three characters. I've always like fantasy games, but had never really given western RPGs much of a chance. I had Morrowind on the xbox, but it felt incredibly clunky to me and the much-maligned navigation system meant I never got in to it. I remember coming out of the dungeon for the first time, looking at the map, and knowing I was in for one hell of a ride.
Oblivion will always hold remain special to me, because apart from it being awesome, the time I spent on it reminds me of a much happier, simpler time in my life.

Mi-Ilu Yahaz

My first Elder Scrolls game was Morrowind. I was around maybe... ten years old when my uncle got this game, and every time we went to his house to visit, I would want to play it. Granted I was horrible at the time considering I had no idea what I was doing, but I think that little exposure to it made me prefer RPGs (even table-tops) over any other game genre. It wasn't until after I played Oblivion that I went back to Morrowind and actually beat it (I finally got over the level 1 bump lol). So out of all the games I played in the series, Morrowind will always be my favorite simply because it started me on a spiraling path to insanity- I mean awesome gaming... That and the game actually made you work for everything lol.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts