What was your first Elder Scrolls experience like?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Grogmar Ghrobash

'Tis better to be alone, then of bad company.
For me it was around when I was about 9 and my brother had barrowed a copy of Oblivion from a friend. I hadn't been exposed to too much open world RPGs before this, so when I first started playing I was instantly hooked. I started off with my first ever character as an Orc, despite how ugly they may be I just find myself fascinated by them for some reason. I also always make sure to play Dwarves first whenever they're playable too, I'm just a sucker for warrior type races I guess. Anyways, I also remember how frightened I would be of doing the haunted ship quest in Anvil with the wraithmen, their faces just always freaked me out. Me and my other brother would always have to be in the same room to even attempt to walk in the ship, even then neither of us ever beat it except once I think when we tricked them to follow us outside. It was pretty bad, but were young! :p

Playing Oblivion also helped me expand to even more RPGs like Dragonage, Mass Effect, WoW, Fallout 3 and much more! Oblivion will always hold a special place in my heart as being my first RPG though. (That I can remember atleast)

What was your first experience like?

FullmetalHeart20

I admit it. I'm not from the Morrowind generation. Technically my first experience was reading about Oblivion in Gamepro and thinking it looked epic! My most memorable and oldest, however, was leaving the sewers at night and watching the two moons.

Twiffle

taking the cellophane off the box, , , ;)

Cazimir

I got Morrowind on Xbox for my fourteenth birthday. To be honest, however, I never got very far and found the freedom overwhelming. I don't even remember what my first character was and for the most part I stayed in Balmora and tried to kill random NPCs.

Grogmar Ghrobash

I got Morrowind on Xbox for my fourteenth birthday. To be honest, however, I never got very far and found the freedom overwhelming. I don't even remember what my first character was and for the most part I stayed in Balmora and tried to kill random NPCs.

I remember when I first played Morrowind I had barrowed it from one of my friends. But I never ended up getting very far because I didn't realize how the combat mechanics worked in that game, so when I couldn't hit anyone I thought that the game was broken. Later I found out that your suppose to level up your attack skills though, now I really regret never being able to play it.

Grogmar Ghrobash

I admit it. I'm not from the Morrowind generation. Technically my first experience was reading about Oblivion in Gamepro and thinking it looked epic! My most memorable and oldest, however, was leaving the sewers at night and watching the two moons.

The graphics, despite how sploshy they sometimes looked, were amazing at the time and part of what made me love it so much.

Shadow King

Grand master of the Order of Talos.
I got a p.c then went to game i saw a game called morrowind, i came back and could not beleive the trees and stars moved i was hooked like a junkie on crack, before that game final fantasy 7/8 and 9 were my fav games now it is the Elder Scrolls series.

Eleidon

The Psijic Chimer
I got Morrowind shortly after it came out. The first time I saw it a friend was playing, and he was in Ald'ruhn during a dust storm. Once he got closer to the Manor District, I was pretty impressed by the emperor crab's shell.

ness91

Dovah do faal Brom
I remember my first ES experience was playing Morrowind. I was 12 by the time and that's when I got the Xbox around Sept. 2003. My cousin worked at Target at the time and was a game enthusiast (not anymore, he's marry). When I came home from school, he dropped off about 5 games for me. I remember out of the five it was Splinter Cell, and best of all, MORROWIND. It was first time ever playing an RPG. Mind you, I was 12 and Morrowind was way to confusing with the journal being full of quest, the stats. Pretty much the whole game was. I didn't bother doing quests at all. I did some after awhile but none of the Main Quest ones... I believe. My favorite city that I always visited was Vivec because of it massive size. It wasn't until I got Oblivion that I started to really play.

Played Oblivion and thought it was boring to be honest. It sat on my shelf for almost an entire year before I decided to give it another go and ultimately sunk over 150 hours into it before Skyrim came out. It's still the only game I bothered to go through and get all the achievements for because it's the only game it didn't feel like a chore, I was going to do it all anyway achievements or not.
I've since gone back and played Morrowind too, but Oblivion was my first experience.

I think I learned that it's best not to go too deep in the game mechanics of the Elder Scrolls. They're always a lot deeper at first glance, and if you read too much into it you find out about all these ways to break the game left and right along with skills or perks or stats or weapons or what have you that are in fact worthless. My best advice is to not do much researching in regards to game mechanics and just play the dang thing; ignorance is bliss and all that.

That doesn't have to be said for most games usually, but I think some people feel daunted by these games with huge worlds and possibilities and spend more time on the wiki in the first week than they do in the game. It kind of ruins it, it's like chipping away gold plate just to see some rusted metal. Just enjoy it for what it is and jump in! If you want to be told how to do everything then you're playing the wrong kind of game!

OckhamsFolly

I was 11 years old, and I had read about Daggerfall in my dad's PC Gamer. I showed him the article and how I thought such a massive game world was a really cool idea. He agreed and picked it up. It turned out to be too much time demand- at the time, he was working long hours as a control systems engineer and getting a privately funded labor-of-love website off the ground- but I fell for it as soon as I loaded it up. And then when you got out of the dungeon, and went to the fast travel map and saw all those locations... I was hooked.

It helped that I was 11 and the game totally had pixelated boobs, though.

Anwrise888

A very naughty naughty kinky mage....
Punching the emperor in the face for 30min in Elder Scrolls Oblivion.

doc108

My first ever was being amazed at the graphics and size of the world when first seeing Skyrim. Especially Bleak Falls Barrow.

I'll be honest the first one I ever played was Skyrim. I had never played to many RPGs before, but my old best friend got me interested in Skyrim a bit. So much so that I just went out and bought it at Best Buy soon after. I very quickly found myself immersed in the world before me and my character's creation, choices and development.

Nadaddle

I first played Skyrim last year; so I guess I am still a newbie. At first, I thought it was a game with cool graphic but a bit confusing. My first character play through was a Breton but I immediately started a new game when I thought she looked like Lydia.

Rhubarb&Custard

Skyrim is my first foray into the Elder Scrolls series, I bought it for £24 from a supermarket and played it non-stop for about 4 months. My first day involved trying to climb up the mountains to get to Whiterun, breaking into the Whiterun stables, getting thrown into jail thinking "well, at least I've found whiterun now!" :D It was fantastic.

Belle

Fool of Hearts - Laughter Incarnate
I was about nine, and my dad had Oblivion! My dad isn't a huge player of the Elder Scrolls, but he likes them. I was fascinated by the open world concept, but the thing I loved was the horse ._. I don't even like horses that much, but I spent hours watching my dad ride the horse and fight monsters ^_^ He got the game for me, but I don't think I got very far into it. When Skyrim came out, I got it but barely played it for a while. Then I realized 'OH MY GOD I HAVEN'T PLAYED SKYRIM YET' so I played it. And it was awesome. :D

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
I had Morrowind for the original XBox, but to be totally honest, I barely played it. I tried a few times, but never got into it. I guess it was the game mechanics or something and I wasn't really into RP games yet. That didn't come until I got my hands on Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

I completely missed out on Oblivion and it wasn't until Skyrim came out and I was linked to the trailer on Twitter by a comic book writer I follow that I thought about trying it out again. I still remember watching it and having my mind blown. I think it worked out in the end.

Zyphur

Skyrim's my first. I hated it, lol. I had no idea how to read the map and the story was getting kinda dull. (I only played to the first dragon encounter until I just stopped playing for 6 months) Then one day I decided to give it another chance even though I was unenthusiastic about it and I got fricken hooked!!!

MadHatter

Guy with a cool hat.
Within a couple weeks of moving to America, I was walking through the local mall when I noticed Gamestop... Remembering that there was a xbox at home, I walked inside.. stunned that they actually had USED games for sale. I picked up a random game, which just so happened to be Morrowind. Went home, rolled my first TES character ever, an Argonian Sorcerer named "Malaki"(Totally lore unfriendly now that I know better.. I almost want to slap myself for it.) had hours upon hours upon hours of endless fun and have been hooked on TES ever since.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts