What is the greatest game you ever played?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Luft

Currently, Skyrim hands down.

Top 5 other than Skyrim

1) Operation darkness (One of the most satisfying games I've ever played. Highly underrated imo, absoluetly loved this game. There's vampires, werewolfs, nazi's to kill, FF tactics style gameplay, great storyline, historic characters such as Frankenstein/Wolf man/Jack the ripper/Van helsing) If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it. Probably less than $15 at this point.
2) FF6, 7 & 8 (Three games, but the same series. Point in time when the series was actually interesting....lost me as a fan after FFX)
3) Ring of Red (underrated as well, imo)
4) Fallout (Any)
5) Romance of the three kingdoms (Any)

If you haven't tried Ring of Red or Operation darkness, you should. Not everyone has the same taste, but something really stuck with me on these two titles. I pray for a sequel to either.

Metallipath

Premium Member
Well, the first game I was really drawn into was Final Fantasy Tactics. I have my old Playstation memory card with a 200 hour save file on it, so I guess I can't deny how much I love that game. The strategic gameplay and the soundtrack were perfect for me at the time.

After that I would have to say the Final Fantasy franchise has really held my appreciation and I've gone back to play most of the titles from the original to 13.

Outside of the RPG genre, I've had many a party during College where everyone played Mortal Kombat Armageddon, so I fondly look back on that game too. =)

Rigsn

Anno 1404, i love the Anno Series, it is so relaxing!
i have previously played Anno 1404 (PAST) and Fallout 3 (FUTURE),
now i play Anno 2070 (FUTURE) and Skyrim (PAST).

dragonborn---

"They Call Me, Dragonborn"
Shadow of the Colossus.

While I have enjoyed many other games. Shadow of the Colossus evoked deep emotions within me that I didn't think possible. For a game with a vague storyline and barely any dialogue, the characters were still extremely real and tangible.

I still play this game today and marvel at it's beauty and sadness. It's an experience, it's art.

Oh man, I remember those days! I WANTED A SEQUEL TO IT!
-Oh lets not forget, Okami. Any one remember how beauty that game was?
-Lets not also forget, the KH series :D

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
There will be a sequel to Shadow of the Colossus, though might not be direct. It's been delayed a lot, but the title is The Last Guardian. Hopefully with the Collection pack of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus being released this year, the third installment will be out next year.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Ultima IV was my first experience with an RPG style world. We had 1 guy in our dorm who had an actual color computer and a bunch of us would sit around and take turns at the keyboard playing Ultima. It saddens me that the franchise got so messed up. I played several other Ultimas but they never grabbed me like IV did.

Morrowind completely dominated my attention for a long time too. When we first got Oblivion, my machine couldn't run it so my husband got Morrowind for me. I had a fantastic time. More fun than Oblivion to be honest.

dragonborn---

"They Call Me, Dragonborn"
Morrowind does have a slight advantaged over Oblivion.

Chezzy

I used to play FPS games once...
Seen as i'm new to RPG's my favourite games were definatley BF2 for PC (way too many hours spent on that) and ofc TimeSplitters 2 for PS2, the fact you could run around as a gingerbread man shooting a chef is awesome!!! (+monkey)

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
The greatest game I ever played was Chrono Cross. Yes, I did play Chrono Trigger but I still prefer cross. I loved the story, the way you could get tons of characters and they were all scenario and timing dependent, the battles, the music, and pretty much just everything about the game. I haven't actually played another game where i've loved everything about it.

I still play the game at least once a year. I can easily get past the graphics because I enjoy the game so much. I honestly don't know why people prefer Chrono Trigger. It's a great game, but I really think it doesn't come close to Chrono Cross.

For me, the best game I've ever played, and continue to play is The Sims (1,2,&3). I love this game because it's an endless game. You are forever continuing to play and continue the family. Plus new sims with different traits always add spice to the mix. You never get the same sim twice, even with the same traits. Plus I love all the quirky stuff that they do. The decision they make to extinguish a fire is grand, or when they stand there and scream at it, it's entertaining. I could sit there for hours and hours and watch all the little things that they do and how they interact with other sims. Not to mention, the hours that I've spent (and on occasion, it's been Days!) to build a house and get it decorated for them. I love that game and can never tire of it.

skindog

Ocarina of Time. It's amazing in every single way, there's no competition in my mind for the title of best game.

BlackRat

Almost impossible to answer for me. So many possibilites, plus the ever-changing game industry means there's always a new "bar" to reach.

So, i'm going to limit my choices to those games from which I simply couldn't tear myself;

Fallout 1&2
Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. (PC)
Ultima IV (PC)
Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
Morrowind (PC/XBOX)
Slayer (3DO)
Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Baldur's Gate (PC)
Gladius (XBOX)
Metroid Prime (GC)

Gaaah. So many. So many more that I just can't list right now.

Counter-Strike: Source, Perfect Dark (N64), Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Bioshock 1/2, COD:1/2. Fallout 3, Fallout: NV, Top Gear (SNES), Gran Turisimo 3: A-spec, Timesplitters 2 (PS2), Revolt (N64)), Gauntlet Legends (N64)

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
Well, listing a ton of games is great and all but I can't sit by and say that one game didn't shine above all the rest for me.

PaperTulip

For me there's a few :) (in no particular order)
The sims 1,2,3
Pokemon
RDD
Fable 2 (hated 3)
Skyrim
Harvest Moon Tree of Tranquility
Red Alert 2
Red Alert Generals
Skyrim

Metallipath

Premium Member
Almost impossible to answer for me. So many possibilites, plus the ever-changing game industry means there's always a new "bar" to reach.

So, i'm going to limit my choices to those games from which I simply couldn't tear myself;

Fallout 1&2
Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. (PC)
Ultima IV (PC)
Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
Morrowind (PC/XBOX)
Slayer (3DO)
Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Baldur's Gate (PC)
Gladius (XBOX)
Metroid Prime (GC)

Gaaah. So many. So many more that I just can't list right now.

Gladius was incredible, I bought that again last year.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts