What do ppl from other countries think of the U.S.?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

KattSand

Premium Member
Well, my first meeting with an actual American didn't go so well. His name was Steve, he was around 45 years old, and he had a fancy job at Boeing that he wouldn't stop talking about. It was summer and me and a friend were out drinking when we ran into this guy, who was in Sweden on a business trip. For the next 2 hours he talked about how much money he had, how many cars he owned, and how big his house was.

I especially remember when he said "It great that everyone here in Sweden speaks English, because in some other countries I travel to, no one understands what I'm saying so I sure ain't gonna try to understand them" yep, that's what he said. Sure it was sort of a compliment towards Sweden, but at the same time, kinda rude towards other countries, because why should they adapt so that Steve can understand them?

Well to keep this short, he was going on about being rich, and the American dream and all that for the entire time we spoke, I didn't really have much say in anything during the whole conversation :p

Now everyone's gonna think I'm hating on Americans, which is not true, because fortunately that's just one guy and I know not everyone is like that. As a matter of fact, I'm sorta...involved with an American guy so I'm definitely not hating on the entire U.S :D

But sure, there are a lot of 'non-americans' that do think that you're all stupid/fat/lazy, whatever, because a lot of countries are influenced by American pop-culture, and tv-shows just like the ones mentioned in the first post, are the reason for that since those shows really emphasize on stupidity and such.

Like I said, I'm not hating on the people in the U.S but I can certainly understand why some people do.

Irish

Thane of Solitude
I'm all for immigrants learning English or at least making an effort to - how else are they going to really integrate themselves into society? English is the common language (not the official language, but one a majority of the population speaks) in this country. I know if I immigrated to a country of which English is not the native tongue, there would be a level of expectation that I learn the language so I can integrate better into their society. So what's the difference? None.

Cylos - I agree with you about the GOP in general, but find liberals and Democrats to be just as self-righteous and insulting to anyone whose views differ from theirs, as well. There is no Party that is truly open-minded because they both like to shove their views down everyone's throat and bash those who actually have a reasonable explanation as to why they beg to differ.

Cylos

The Last Dragonborn
I agree with you about the GOP in general, but find liberals and Democrats to be just as self-righteous and insulting to anyone whose views differ from theirs, as well. There is no Party that is truly open-minded because they both like to shove their views down everyone's throat and bash those who actually have a reasonable explanation as to why they beg to differ.
I'm not saying the Democrats are any better, its just the GOP come across as the extreme. The political system is just the Republicans and Democrats trying to outdo each other, the USA doesn't need that. It needs cross-party consensus to help recover, if it did you wouldn't have had the 'fiscal cliff' story coming up to the end of last year

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts