Review Werewolves vs. Vampires

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Which one are you?

• Total voters

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
I have been a werewolf and the best thing about them is their immunity to disease. They also don't have nearly as many shortcomings as a vampire, suffering only the lack of a resting bonus whereas vampires get dinged pretty hard with weaknesses to fire, needing to feed and so forth. But I think I only used Beast Form twice during the entire time I was one.

However, I can't get around being forced into 3rd person perspective while actively using my Beast Form ability and the lack of being able to use any of my equipment while transformed. Vampires may suffer more penalties, but seem to gain greater benefits, especially if I were to invest in the Necromage perk. I plan to have a future character live as a vampire just to see how it goes.

Pete

For me there is a huge difference between being a werewolf and a vampire.

As a werewolf, the nature of the beast only comes out when you want. When I release that nature, it's for a rampaging burst of murder and mayhem. I've been a werewolf many times. I even went so far as to use mods to change the appearance and stats (to make the wolf playable on master difficulty). The werewolf nature can take a back seat and comes out when I needed it - or for roll playing value - when the moon was full.

As a vampire, the blood-lust nature is always present. It often cannot be ignored. NPCs always notice something about me. I use the mods where you are strong when you first feed and weaken as time goes by. Now part of my daily activity is planning the next meal. The horror of running out of lock picks is a real one: I did the diplomatic immunity quest, but I failed to remember to include lock picks as part of my necessary gear! No easy feeding for a long hike back to Riverwood.

So which is better? My vote is Vampire - since it's impact on game play cannot be ignored.

Zoa Two Tails

Cloak and Dagger Artist
Werewolves all the way bro. Maybe that just because my character is already covered with fur 24/7/365
but still a khajiit werewolf=ownage.

Sparkz

Mysterious Creature
My Vote is Vampire

Ya its a pain in the butt to constantly have the nessesity to feed,but i find that the benifits of being a vampire outweights the need to feed.Especially for my char since some of the vampire benifits compliment my chars build.

I can see where people say its a pain in the but because of needing lockpicks and everything,but if you find the correct places to feed you shouldnt need them at all.

If you feed in a guild's house for example jorrvaskr ( warrior's guild ) you dont need any lockpicks.All ya have to do is just wait till someone falls asleep then feed off them.With fast travel its just an easy travel to whiterun a little jog upto warrior's guild and the wait for someone to fall asleep.(For me it usualy happens 1 hour after i enter the warriors guild.)

Another example would be if u have a house and a housecarl just command them to sleep and feed of them.

Also if your trying to sell items.I recommend wakeing up at 7:00 pm due to the facts that merchants dont close till 8:00 as for street merchants. they tend to walk away at 5:00 pm or 6:00 pm ( Not sure exactly but its within that general time. )

Weakness to fire is a reason why people choose to roll lycanthrope over vampirism ya i get that but if ur a dunmer or have enchanting skill you can pritty much nullify that weakness by quite a lot over the 4 stages of vampirisim.

If your not Dunmer or have Enchanting skill then plan ahead abit to what your char might be doing/gear he might have later in levels then ask yourself what would benifit my char more Vampirisim with more magish effects than tank n spank ones,Or would he/she benifit with lycanthrope and will i still be using it at higher lvls with a tank and spank or chars with mele combat based perks.Then just go from there.

If your trying to play during the daylight hours,Go Reroll lycanthrope.

XbSuper

I like werewolf, but only for the disease resist. Personally I don't find either one much fun to play as. Werewolves die way too easy at higher levels, and I just can't be bothered to feed all the time with a vampire.

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
I became a werewolf but I'm wishing I hadn't. The werewolf form has been incredibly weak and inferior to my normal fighting skills ever since level 25 or so. I get one-shotted by common bandits for christ's sake, whereas I can absorb near-limitless physical punishment normally. I'll probably either do the quest to get rid of the lycanthropy or try a mod to increase the power of the wolf form.

Zoa Two Tails

Cloak and Dagger Artist
Go with the increased power. It is a fun way to roll. Or you could role play a werewolf player that fights unarmed so you dont level

Pete

I became a werewolf but I'm wishing I hadn't. The werewolf form has been incredibly weak and inferior to my normal fighting skills ever since level 25 or so..

I highly recommend the mod:
Werewolf Enhancer by Tryas

your werewolf will kick butt and be useable on master difficulty

having one of each at max level I have to say werewolf, it's not that vampires aren't fun and all, it's just that after a while the whole feeding thing becomes a hassle, (unless you're doing a no fast travel run, I've heard it's easier to manage and more fun to do so if you don't fast travel, not really sure though) and while I never use beast form except for the faster running it does have disease resistance, but vampirism, while nice to have, just doesn't feel like that much of a boost (although arguable it isn't meant to, because it's not a perk, it's a disease) and just hampers my ability to focus on other elements of gameplay.

Gore gro-Gijakudob

Wolves are cool, 100% resistance to disease, able to move very fast while encumbered, total control over transformations vs emo. I choose werewolf. Vampire is probably better suited for the 'softer' races like elves and Bretons but no self respecting Orc would choose skulking in the shadows over the blood of the wolf!

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
I received the Beast Blood power via the Companions questline, but I never use it.

Everytime that I've contracte Vampiris Sanguinaris (or w/e it's called), I've immediately cured it.

So.. I voted "none".

DragonbornMonk

i love being a werewolf awsome animations and stuff trowing people all over the place and easy to control,i tried the vampire thing it whas fun at the beginning but i got tired of feeding on sleepin people(and not killing them or transforming them to)so i quit feeding and at the final stage of vapirisme everyone is just going to attack you and u wont be able to do any quests anymore,to bad tough

epic 2624

i don't even use the werewolf. 100% resistance is good. the only thing that's kinda of bad if u planned on resting bonus is that there is none if you're are a werewolf, but big deal. its not that seirous.

Shadowbane

Premium Member
vampires short coming can be cured with standing stones or hooded armor (confirmed this with Dark brotherhood gear PC) my vote is for vampires because i can always feed on my brother in the Dark Brotherhood, and hooded gear cure most of there short comings , I almost favor the werewolf but I had how i have to Re-equip all my items after the transformation, i would rather have my armor stack with my vampire benefits, but it also depends on what character i use and my build, to see which one would really benefit

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
Once you get the perk Necromage, Vampirism can be become incredibly powerful, more-so than werewolves.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts