Thrall Thread : Living with the dead

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Adam Warlock

I have discovered a wonderful group for Thralling called Spellswords that use staffs , cast magic , and will also use a sword and shield while wearing 3 pieces of armor !!! Look for Southfringe Sanctum at the far southeast corner of Falkreath Hold.
Here is the kit I tested that worked out pretty good for the one I brought back :
Studded Armor with Fortify Health/Fortify Destruction,
Fur Bracers with Fortify Magicka/Fortify 1h ,
Leather Boots with Muffle/Fortify Stamina,
Glass Shield with Resist Magic x2 ,
Glass Sword with Absorb Health/Absorb Stamina,
Magic Staffs of Fire Bolts and Lightning Bolts , and
a summoning Staff of Familiars.
Be ready for a fight because they are tough customers and some may be carrying staffs of their own.
I also have a belief that these Spellswords are stable bodies that won`t respawn on you since they belong to a site like Northwatch Keep, etc. that does not reset. The Keeps like this are also good for permanent storage of your extra stuff.
I`m setting up little branch offices in Mistwatch and Cracked Tusk Keeps because Northwatch is overflowing with so many thralls inside and out it looks like a country junkyard for necromancers.
Interested in a `36 Bandit Chief with low mileage ?
Come on down To Adam Warlock`s Used Body Emporium !

Adam Warlock

Yes , Cracked Tusk Keep is a great setting for a conjurer.
Doesn`t reset so storage in containers and chest is safe , Alchemy lab , full-service smithing station , two big fires going 24/7 , and the birds will sing on sunny days !
There`s even a cellar vault to put your vampires and a smokehouse for all that mammoth meat you`ve been bringing home because it was on special.
Other amenities include a double bed for Dragonborn and a bunch of sleeping rolls for your thralls.
I like the location particularly well since it`s very close to the area around Knifepoint Ridge where I hunt Thalmor .
Northwatch Keep is a little roomier but just too damn cold and dreary and only has a plain forge. I`m still keeping my pure mages there but most others will be moved
I`ve got Ghunzul stationed out in front of my new crib since CTK is his home location . I don`t think I`ve ever seen a happier dead Orc !

Adam Warlock

Newest named NPC thrall to join the Warlock`s team is Mythic Dawn Cultist and destruction mage Silus Vesuius.
I had killed him some time before getting Dead Thrall spell and had lost his body when I Fus`d it off a cliff.
Silus wlll cast lightning , conjure his own familiar , and use a sword if not a shield.
His unique Mythic Dawn robes are the most attractive of any of the mages imho

Adam Warlock

Don`t mistake a safe container for a safe floor ! Just like your owned house if you don`t visit your keep at least every 10 days your generic NPC may respawn or disappear.
I learned this the hard way today at Northwatch. Only 1 out of 6 non-moaning mages remained after all was done.
The named mages were Ok as were the Mistwatch bandits and Northwatch guard but all the rest respawned or vanished.
All containers remain as before
Good thing my vampires are caged in at the bottom of CTK`s vault !

Skyrimosity

Do you think Silus Vesuius is better than a master necromancer? I have two of them but frankly I'm getting tired of not knowing who to thank for raising that dead body and killing everyone.

Adam Warlock

Do you think Silus Vesuius is better than a master necromancer? I have two of them but frankly I'm getting tired of not knowing who to thank for raising that dead body and killing everyone.
I like Silus because with his gloves you get to add twice as many enchants as a generic mage.
I add extra magicka and fortify 1h on them to give him an offensive boost.
that and the fact that silus is a permanent corpse gives him the win.
yes , mages who conjure zombies can give you fits.
Volkihars will leave a trail of ash piles that once were your thralls just as fast as a master necro too.

Skyrimosity

yep, nothing like losing one of your thralls and finding an ash pile where you thought he was standing

perkecet

ive just gotten my first non-destruction-based mage character to 100 conjuration and illusion. just bought the dead thrall spell, and excited to do this kinda stuff.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
I was fooling around with necromancy the other day. Just with the Zombie spell. My god, the zombies i raised (bandits) were so freaking stupid. They'd just stand there most of the time while i was getting my ass kicked! Even then, when id kill them they'd drop their weapon, then when i reanimated them they wouldnt pick their old weapon up or anything, just run in with swinging fists! duuurrrp.

Adam Warlock

Found a non-moaning Master Necromancer(lvl36) at the respawned Hobb`s Fall Cave last night
He was quite feisty and primarily used Ice Storm for his attacks as there were no bodies nearby for him to use a conjuration spell on.
I`ve named him Raizer and he now joins survivor Ice Wizard Darryl#2 and Velehk Sain as my current silent thralls.
Note to self not to take take thralls I don`t want to lose when going on missions with him unless they are high enough level to be immune to his Revenant raising spell .
To be equal to his level , mages would have to be a ____mancer or Master Conjurer . I haven`t tested this yet but hopefully these can`t be turned into ash piles

Adam Warlock

Just a note that the Northwatch respawn event created the first instance in 75 levels where I was victim to a theft instead of the other way around !
When I came thru the Northwatch door all my generic mages had respawned and were fighting in the 2nd room where I had stored them(they were hostile to each other because from different sites I suppose).
One of the newly created mages , an Arch Cryomancer , was found to have looted one of the cupboards in the room of 5 Staffs of Paralysis that were stored there !
Sure glad I killed him before he could get away !
yes , these guys can also use doors and leave the cell where you`ve placed them upon revival!
I had suspected as much from an incident in Solitude with a Bandit Marauder but it has been confirmed as I witnessed a respawned mage escape from Ysolda`s Shack in Whiterun and caught him outside between Breezehome and the General Goods shop .

Adam Warlock

My next thrall bomb effort is now in the planning stages and nicely fits with my basically good guy character and story line.
I had helped out a Redguard woman who was hiding from Alik`r warriors in an earlier side quest "In My Time of Need" and thought it was over.
But there are still Alik`r out on the roads hassling women in search of her and 2 Alik`r Warriors just inside the Plains District gate at Whiterun near where she works as a barmaid.
Even though I had killed off the earlier group of Alik`r , these new ones aren`t hostile toward me so I can`t kill them directly without incurring murder charges and bounty.
Tentative plan is to seed a couple of Bandit Chief bodies just inside the Whiterun gate and behind the 2 Alik`r there , wait 10 days , and then come back by way of the stables.
I can activate the BCs by entering and quickly leaving the gate(or perhaps fast-travel to gates of Dragonreach?) and the living respawned BCs will hopefully kill the Alik`r for me with no liability to attach.
I will do this late at night so the streets will be mostly empty and the shops will be closed.
The city guards can mop things up without much problem I think since their barracks is right there.
What do you think ?

Adam Warlock

My next thrall bomb effort is now in the planning stages and nicely fits with my basically good guy character and story line.
I had helped out a Redguard woman who was hiding from Alik`r warriors in an earlier side quest "In My Time of Need" and thought it was over.
But there are still Alik`r out on the roads hassling women in search of her and 2 Alik`r Warriors just inside the Plains District gate at Whiterun near where she works as a barmaid.
Even though I had killed off the earlier group of Alik`r , these new ones aren`t hostile toward me so I can`t kill them directly without incurring murder charges and bounty.
Tentative plan is to seed a couple of Bandit Chief bodies just inside the Whiterun gate and behind the 2 Alik`r there , wait 10 days , and then come back by way of the stables.
I can activate the BCs by entering and quickly leaving the gate(or perhaps fast-travel to gates of Dragonreach?) and the living respawned BCs will hopefully kill the Alik`r for me with no liability to attach.
I will do this late at night so the streets will be mostly empty and the shops will be closed.
The city guards can mop things up without much problem I think since their barracks is right there.
What do you think ?
It`s the 17th of Sun`s Dawn and the stage is set.
Around the feet of the Alik`r are 2 Bandits, 2 Thugs , 2 Highwaymen , and a Marauder !
It was totally bizarre when I came to the Whiterun stables with my last thrall to seed , when I run into that bastard Louis Letrush there.
I`d been looking for him in Riften ever since he sent a Thug after me because I had kept a horse he wanted. Louis acted like he didn`t know me but I still hold a grudge big time.
I got him to attack me first by getting caught pickpocketing him but apparently he won`t die now and I ended up having to pay a $25 bounty.(I put off the guards outside by persuasion on this until I could pay a guard inside the walls to avoid a respawn of my thrall and follower). It was worth the gold to see him on his knees after Illia put an Ice Spike through him though !
Just for the record , I hate invulnerable enemies and I`m going to find a way to torment Letrush if it can be done without hurting innocents(guards don`t count)

Adam Warlock

None of my thralls or followers will use any of the staves or armor I give them.
I've seen followers use things before on some of my other saves.. But the thralls never did use anything I give them. I got one now with about 5 staves of conjure storm atronac and he still refuses lol.

Anyway this seems to be a stupid glitch or something do I guess I cant do much about it atm.
I just came in to say that "The Caller" from fell glow keep is a pretty strong thrall using huge fire blasts and flame cloak, just got it a while ago. She splashed fire on every one in white run killing them all in seconds with only a few blasts of fire :)
sorry that you`re having a problem .
Mine(vanilla xbox) is that I can`t use any fire/frost/storm atronach summoning staves now as my character because of a glitch attached to the Elemental Potency perk (good thing my spells and sanguine rose still work!) .
My follower and thralls have had no difficulty with using staves except for a few exotic ones like soul trapping.
Thralls must have the armor they were wearing when killed or armor they respawn after you strip them and take them through a door. You can enchant and smith it but it must be from them (sometimes armor from same type thrall will do but not always) .
I think that the recent patch changes indicate that Bethesda intends for conjurers to focus on using the named or otherwise permanent NPC s they`ve chosen rather than the hordes of generic respawning ones I can use now with the 10-30 day recycle periods.
Volkihar will still be the most powerful as far as level you can thrall if you can find a dungeon that doesn`t reset which will supply a stable body. I`ve only found one such so far but there may be more

That stuff you said about followers and thralls never going for over kills and only using what they think is needed against who or what ever they are fighting is probably true.
It would explain a lot!

I'll go check that place you suggested for thrall searching, southfringe sanctum. As soon as my current ones (Orchendor & The Caller) run off or gets stored in my basement. :p
The Caller is what seems to be a a Pyro Mage from Felglow Keep, I thralled her during the "hitting the books" quest.
She uses flame cloak and strong fire blasts, every one in whiterun got killed in just a few seconds by her once when I accidentally whent "fus ro" on a guard..

I'm at lv 49 on my conjurer Mage evil electrocuted vengeful thalmor agent altmer
And it seems like some of my followers are starting to use the summoning staves I've given them.

And again as you said, they tend to use the weaker weapons against weaker enemies.
Have seen them use the familiar staff several times now and the storm atronac staff only once so far.
Exiting progress indeed!

Still haven't found any regular volkihars yet....
Been through every vampire lair in skyrim now (including the potemas sanctum during the quest for mr falk..)

But the hunt is still on as soon as I've finished waiting for 4 to 6 days somewhere I'll go through them all again starting at lv 49 and I'll be damned if I don't find one this time! :)

Oh and one more thing,
Are you sure about that tip you gave me before when you suggested thy I auto save outside a vampire lair and each time I load and enter the cave, the game will generate a random spawn of enemies. And not just the same ones every time?
I have only tried it a few times and it was pretty much the same then anyways.

perkecet

so my first travel after learning the dead thrall spell was to markarth. not for any thrall related reason, but because i wanted to buy the house there as its the only one i havent owned on a character so far. it was my first time entering with my lvl 39 power hungry vampire-dunmer archmage. i knew what scene would play before me as i entered so i, as always, intervened, so i can get the fancy necklace from the victim. after killing weylin i figured id use my dead thrall spell just because. i was curious as to whether he would do anything interesting once raise. after killing ancano for the college there were a couple magic anomalies in the hall. one of the mages rose ancano during the fight and i was surprised at what i saw. ancano proceeded to start doing his shocky thing on the eye again!

knowing that i wondered if weylin would try to kill that woman again, sadly no. but anyway, he came with me to see the jarl and i got a quest to kill some forsworn. what a perfect quest to take weylin on!

i must say it was worth a chuckle or two to see him get killed by a briarheart and then, with his last dying breath say "I die for my people!".

Adam Warlock

so my first travel after learning the dead thrall spell was to markarth. not for any thrall related reason, but because i wanted to buy the house there as its the only one i havent owned on a character so far. it was my first time entering with my lvl 39 power hungry vampire-dunmer archmage. i knew what scene would play before me as i entered so i, as always, intervened, so i can get the fancy necklace from the victim. after killing weylin i figured id use my dead thrall spell just because. i was curious as to whether he would do anything interesting once raise. after killing ancano for the college there were a couple magic anomalies in the hall. one of the mages rose ancano during the fight and i was surprised at what i saw. ancano proceeded to start doing his shocky thing on the eye again!

knowing that i wondered if weylin would try to kill that woman again, sadly no. but anyway, he came with me to see the jarl and i got a quest to kill some forsworn. what a perfect quest to take weylin on!

i must say it was worth a chuckle or two to see him get killed by a briarheart and then, with his last dying breath say "I die for my people!".
I love the ironic twist .
Makes me wish I`d used Deeja to kill her brother Jaree-Ra

perkecet

does anyone know if Madanach(sp?) the king in rags is thrallable? if so i would be willing to get thrown into cihdna mine for that.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts