Thrall Thread : Living with the dead

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Adam Warlock

I agree. Having a thrall with a marker on its head is a fantastic idea.

Iv recently been trying to give quest items, namely Amrens sword, to my existing thralls. Not as easy as id hoped.

To begin with I got my follower to pick up the quest item and i took all her other weapons so she was wielding amrens sword, I than killed her in the hope that she would drop it on the ground... no such luck! She clung onto it for dear... um life.

Thats ok ithought, perhaps my weaponless bandit chief thrall will pry it from my followers rigamortised hands once I whack him around a bit... no such luck. Again. Hed either punch me or run away to hide.

I than had a breakthrough when I discovered quest items can be placed on weapon racks. Both floor and wall mounted racks. I aggrod a bandit highwayman this time but she would prefer to use her fist than pluck the sword off either of the racks :sadface:

hopefully by sharing this with all the intelligent ppl iv seen post on this awesome thread someone may get an idea that i havnt thought of.
Experiments reveal this easy method to get a marked Dead Thrall if you don`t mind sacrificing a follower and a minor radiant quest line.

You will need a permanent item to anchor the follower to prevent their disappearance (unless they are a Blade).
Best choice is a level 30-40 follower with high skills in their default armor like Golldir(who i tested) or Stenvar, etc.

Find a dead Treasure Hunter with a note directing you to find an enchanted weapon at a random location.
When there , don`t take the weapon from the chest but ask your follower to take it from the chest.
The quest arrow should now be over that follower who can be killed , anchored , and thralled.
Hang on to the note and you can highlight this misc quest for the arrow.

My belief is that quest items may have some sort of protection against random looting by NPC since I can`t get my (unarmed) thralls to loot from the chest even when they are getting smashed by a giant.

Of course you can be merciful and have a marked follower this way if you so wish. Could be most useful for finding the mobile Kharjo for instance

Ian Jones

Iv recently been trying to give quest items, namely Amrens sword, to my existing thralls. Not as easy as id hoped.

To begin with I got my follower to pick up the quest item and i took all her other weapons so she was wielding amrens sword, I than killed her in the hope that she would drop it on the ground... no such luck! She clung onto it for dear... um life.

Thats ok ithought, perhaps my weaponless bandit chief thrall will pry it from my followers rigamortised hands once I whack him around a bit... no such luck. Again. Hed either punch me or run away to hide.

I than had a breakthrough when I discovered quest items can be placed on weapon racks. Both floor and wall mounted racks. I aggrod a bandit highwayman this time but she would prefer to use her fist than pluck the sword off either of the racks :sadface:

hopefully by sharing this with all the intelligent ppl iv seen post on this awesome thread someone may get an idea that i havnt thought of.
Experiments reveal this easy method to get a marked Dead Thrall if you don`t mind sacrificing a follower and a minor radiant quest line.

You will need a permanent item to anchor the follower to prevent their disappearance (unless they are a Blade).
Best choice is a level 30-40 follower with high skills in their default armor like Golldir(who i tested) or Stenvar, etc.

Find a dead Treasure Hunter with a note directing you to find an enchanted weapon at a random location.
When there , don`t take the weapon from the chest but ask your follower to take it from the chest.
The quest arrow should now be over that follower who can be killed , anchored , and thralled.

My belief is that quest items may have some sort of protection against random looting by NPC since I can`t get my (unarmed) thralls to loot from the chest even when they are getting smashed by a giant.

Of course you can be merciful and have a marked follower this way if you so wish. Could be most useful for finding the mobile Kharjo for instance

Guess you didn't read my post so here is a reminder

Hi! Irishman, Welcome to our little thread.

I tried this awhile back with my Fight Club For Dead Thralls Turn Undead trick using Amren's sword and Red Eagle's sword-which if place on a rack falls on the ground.Even then my thralls did not pick it up.My guess is this a script to protect quest items from being lost-as in taken by NPCs other than Followers.There is a way via console to attach quest items to any NPC but I consider console commands as cheats so I wont share the info.

Another possibility but its seems to involved to try is sometimes NPCs take weapons from containers.This means taking your thrall to the quest item location making sure there are no other weapons around,again to involved for me to bother and I doubt it will work.

See any similarities?

Ian Jones

THE LEVELING DEAD OR THE CURIOUS OF CASE OF BASHNAG THE MAGE ORC

"Thralls level with the World".This quote sometimes throws me off once you read"Thralls level with your PC",which to me is the more accurate description since the world level with you hence they mean the same thing so I remind myself to ignore it everytime I come across it.
That said,I find myself wanting to append it and say "Thralls level with your PC in fact(skills) but not necessarily in name with proviso.In "name with proviso" you are wondering?

There are Thralls that remain dead which I call true corpses and Thralls that resurrect-come alive after 15 to 30 game days of not being visited.(Some like to use "respawn" instead of resurrect which to me means that they come back to life in same place as they were originally found in,which they do not).

Most Thralls like Drelas(lvl.36)stay dead and will remain the same level in fact and name as the first time you killed and thralled them.Some like General Falx Carius(Dragonborn addon) who stays dead but level with you as a corps thus cannot be thralled anymore.
Then are some like Bashnag who level with you as corpses but still have the same level in "name" as the first time you killed them so you can still thrall them provided you don't allow them to auto-resurrect and reset to your level.This is what I mean by "in fact but not in name".See below.

The max level for your PC to thrall Bashnag while alive is lvl.28 which he is described as a lvl.36 Master Necromacer anything higher he will be labeled as an Arch-Necromancer(over lvl.40) and cannot be thralled.

But the Bashnag I had at level 28 is not the same Bashnag I (will)have at level 35(TEST lvl.)At level 28 he uses a limited number of spells(ice spike,frost atrocnach).At level 35 he was using high level healing spells(very often),quicker ice spikes,and the best -cast Dread Zombie like no tomorrow provided he has the bodies.This dude resurrected four bodies(Umana,M.Necromancer,Sulla,and Drelas) in a row fighting me.That is like your thrall having its own thrall.Note:Bashnag highest skill is 91 conjuration.(Yes,I see equiping him with thrall scrolls as a possibility).

To clarify, My PC can still thralled his more powerful version at level 35 because I didn't allow him to auto-resurrect thus he still has the same lvl.36 Master Necromancer "name" as the first time I killed and thralled him and not the over lvl. 40 Arch-Necromancer.
Leveling in fact but not in name.So possibly at level 35 I'm actually thralling the leveled Arch-Necromancer version of Bashnag?

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member

As much as i like thralls, i think followers are more handy for obvious reasons. I have got a quest tracker on my wife/follower and it does come in handy.

Dont worry I have th8ught about sacrificing a follower to become a trackable thrall... hmmm maybe that is something to worry about! Lucky for them i havent done it... but now i sorta do want to. If i had it back than, i shouldve thralled the follower i used to sacrifice to boethiah! That riften housecarl couldnt have bin more annoying in undeath than in life surely.

O well, maybe its impossible but hopefully 1day someone will find a way to track their thralls. In the meantime detect dead hasnt failed me yet.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
THE LEVELING DEAD OR THE CURIOUS OF CASE OF BASHNAG THE MAGE ORC

"Thralls level with the World".This quote sometimes throws me off once you read"Thralls level with your PC",which to me is the more accurate description since the world level with you hence they mean the same thing so I remind myself to ignore it everytime I come across it.
That said,I find myself wanting to append it and say "Thralls level with your PC in fact(skills) but not necessarily in name with proviso.In "name with proviso" you are wondering?

There are Thralls that remain dead which I call true corpses and Thralls that resurrect-come alive after 15 to 30 game days of not being visited.(Some like to use "respawn" instead of resurrect which to me means that they come back to life in same place as they were originally found in,which they do not).

Most Thralls like Drelas(lvl.36)stay dead and will remain the same level in fact and name as the first time you killed and thralled them.Some like General Falx Carius(Dragonborn addon) who stays dead but level with you as a corps thus cannot be thralled anymore.
Then are some like Bashnag who level with you as corpses but still have the same level in "name" as the first time you killed them so you can still thrall them provided you don't allow them to auto-resurrect and reset to your level.This is what I mean by "in fact but not in name".See below.

The max level for your PC to thrall Bashnag while alive is lvl.28 which he is described as a lvl.36 Master Necromacer anything higher he will be labeled as an Arch-Necromancer(over lvl.40) and cannot be thralled.

But the Bashnag I had at level 28 is not the same Bashnag I (will)have at level 35(TEST lvl.)At level 28 he uses a limited number of spells(ice spike,frost atrocnach).At level 35 he was using high level healing spells(very often),quicker ice spikes,and the best -cast Dread Zombie like no tomorrow provided he has the bodies.This dude resurrected four bodies(Umana,M.Necromancer,Sulla,and Drelas) in a row fighting me.That is like your thrall having its own thrall.Note:Bashnag highest skill is 91 conjuration.(Yes,I see equiping him with thrall scrolls as a possibility).

To clarify, My PC can still thralled his more powerful version at level 35 because I didn't allow him to auto-resurrect thus he still has the same lvl.36 Master Necromancer "name" as the first time I killed and thralled him and not the over lvl. 40 Arch-Necromancer.
Leveling in fact but not in name.So possibly at level 35 I'm actually thralling the leveled Arch-Necromancer version of Bashnag?

I think I understand what your saying but just to be sure...

You killed bashnag the 1st time at PC lv28 so he was just a master necromancer.
Without letting him respawn/ressurect you levelled your PC to lv35 than re-thralled him.
By not being able to respawn he levelled as high as a master necromancer can without turning arch necromancer?
It sounds similar to me as the get busted tresspassing with a thrall which puts them up a tier if you the right level eg. ancient vampire - volkihar vampire.

Im completely wrong and look like a moron dont I :oops: ??? Haha

AS88

Staff member
Has anyone ever used Aicantar as a thrall? He looks to have a decent set of spells, so I assume he'd be great if outfitted well with enchanted +magicka gear.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Aicantar

NachyoChez

Hey guys, thank you so much for all of the input so far on this thread. For me, at least, it has proven invaluable. In the next few weeks I'm hoping to get far enough along to actually contribute knowledge of my own, but for now I must ask the Arch-Necromages here for input:

I'm working on a thrall build with the intent of building my own 'MMO-style party'. So, looking over this thread (not read the full thing, but I am in deep) and my own research on the various wikis, I've decided to give this setup a try. I'd greatly appreciate the feedback on how it looks, and any advice you might have on improvements:

Dead Thrall 1: Rayya (Rayya is kind of the crown jewel of this build. Normally a follower isn't useable at the max levels, since they level alongside you. However, I believe I found the path to side stepping this restriction. By marrying Rayya, I can turn her into a vampire with the quest from Harkon's court. Doing so makes her affected by the Necromage perk, allowing my to raise her all the way up to 50. By equipping her in full Daedric armor and weapons, her dual wielding abilities make her the perfect melee DPS.)

Dead Thrall 2: Orchendor (Toss a staff of Storm Atronach on him, a few enchants, and bam: you've got the perfect caster to flush out my ranks.)

Dead Thrall 3 (Aetherial Crown): Draugr Deathlord (Specifically the Archer breed. Keeping one of these in my party should add some great utility from his shouts, and his natural archery can be devestating.)

Follower: Lydia (The perfect tank. Equips and is proficient with Heavy armor and Shields, toss on some solid magic resistance and health bonuses, and Lydia should be able to withstand most anything with few issues.)

Myself: I'm the healer/buffer. 100 Conjuration, 100 Illusion allows me to summon and buff my party to incredible levels of power. 100 Enchanting and 100 Smithing grants my thralls (and myself) unequaled levels of power, even against overwhelming numbers. 100 Alteration gives me a fall back from the skin spells, and a native 30% magic resistance (+15% from Agent of Mara to get married makes it 45%)

Would this build work like I'm hoping?

Suggestions or thoughts?

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
Hey guys, thank you so much for all of the input so far on this thread. For me, at least, it has proven invaluable. In the next few weeks I'm hoping to get far enough along to actually contribute knowledge of my own, but for now I must ask the Arch-Necromages here for input:

I'm working on a thrall build with the intent of building my own 'MMO-style party'. So, looking over this thread (not read the full thing, but I am in deep) and my own research on the various wikis, I've decided to give this setup a try. I'd greatly appreciate the feedback on how it looks, and any advice you might have on improvements:

Dead Thrall 1: Rayya (Rayya is kind of the crown jewel of this build. Normally a follower isn't useable at the max levels, since they level alongside you. However, I believe I found the path to side stepping this restriction. By marrying Rayya, I can turn her into a vampire with the quest from Harkon's court. Doing so makes her affected by the Necromage perk, allowing my to raise her all the way up to 50. By equipping her in full Daedric armor and weapons, her dual wielding abilities make her the perfect melee DPS.)

Dead Thrall 2: Orchendor (Toss a staff of Storm Atronach on him, a few enchants, and bam: you've got the perfect caster to flush out my ranks.)

Dead Thrall 3 (Aetherial Crown): Draugr Deathlord (Specifically the Archer breed. Keeping one of these in my party should add some great utility from his shouts, and his natural archery can be devestating.)

Follower: Lydia (The perfect tank. Equips and is proficient with Heavy armor and Shields, toss on some solid magic resistance and health bonuses, and Lydia should be able to withstand most anything with few issues.)

Myself: I'm the healer/buffer. 100 Conjuration, 100 Illusion allows me to summon and buff my party to incredible levels of power. 100 Enchanting and 100 Smithing grants my thralls (and myself) unequaled levels of power, even against overwhelming numbers. 100 Alteration gives me a fall back from the skin spells, and a native 30% magic resistance (+15% from Agent of Mara to get married makes it 45%)

Would this build work like I'm hoping?

Suggestions or thoughts?

Im really hoping that turning rayya into a vampire will register her as undead for the necromage/dead thrall combo. The thing is that turning your spouse into a vampire doesnt do much at. Most of the time thier eyes stay human and detect dead doesnt register them as undead. Im not sure (and would be interested to find out) if making your spouse/follower a vamp gives them increased ice resist, lower fire resist, sun weakness etc.

Please post the results when you get up to that! I went and married janessa b4 I read she cant be turned, I was not happy!

Good luck and the rest of your plan looks good. Just keep in mind that orchendors gauntlets and boots can go up to dragonscale (iv heard deadric but I couldnt get him to spawn them) quality. Just take ALL his equiptment, thrall than go through loading screen to get different gear.

Have fun and be evil my fellow necromaniac ;)

Ian Jones

RANDOM OR THE GOOD NEWS IS I HAVE A VOLKIHAR VAMPIRE,THE BAD NEWS IS I HAD A VOLKIHAR VAMPIRE
wJb5rc4.jpg

Since most of the information floating out there on the random world encounter with a Volkihar vampire is either-at best fragmented and sketchy or at worst,inaccurate,I thought I'd try to shed some light on it and give as much of the specifics of my recent run-in with these creatures.Something our fellow Necromages interested in these powerful thralls can use as a reference.Note:There is a reason why it is called a random world event.The specifics of my PC's experience will only serve to give you an idea of what may be the necessary factors,yours might be entirely different like the location,time of night,etc.Dawnguard is uninstalled.

PC Level:LEVEL 32 OR 32½
It would seem level 33 is not lowest possible level to encounter volky vamps.My PC level is 32 or 32½ or 32.588,meaning my PC's progress level bar is past the halfway point(see pic above)and I have a sneaking suspicion that this makes a difference.I'm guessing at level 32½, the game considers your avatar has enough leveled combat related Perks to have a chance against a Volkihar.But what if a player has what I call a "Politician":p type character build who are at home in company of bloodsuckers with Speech,Pickpocketing,and Lockpicking as their 3 main skills.Would they still have this type of random event?

DATE and TIME:Loredas,3:05 AM.18th of Frostfall, 4E 201
Interesting trivia.In some Western cultures and religions 3a.m. is also known as the "Witching Hour" or the "Devil's Hour"-the time of night when supposedly supernatural forces and creatures and black magic are at their most active and effective.It must be the same for Skyrim.

From the direction of my Heljarchen home,(east to west)between Loreius Farm and Whiterun,(north and south)between Halted Stream Camp and Dragonreach.Its the small clearing with unusually flat,wide rocks.You can't miss it.This place seems to be a hot spot for random events for me.I often get two randoms from my Heljarchen house going to and fro Whiterun.

DODGY DEAD THRALL:
The bad news is like most NPCs from recurring random world encounters they don't keep well
and will vanish randomly.Oh, they might behave like normal Thralls for the first 20 gamehours
or so but afterwards goodluck trying to keep them.I've even tried tying it down with 7 quest
items but to no avail.I won't say anymore you are going to have to experiment for yourself.
This is pure conjecture,but I think the game uses the same models of NPCs with the same I.D. tags for recurring random world events so it makes sense you can't have a certain model for a
Thrall at the same time with a pending random world event.

MISC.INFO
I was rolling with what I consider two strong Dead Thralls,Drelas and Arondil.This might or might not be a factor.By this I mean the strength of the Thralls and not just specifically Drelas and
Arondil.Coincidentally,Drelas and Arondil combined Destruction spells are the same
type of Destruction spells used by a Volkihar vampire with the exception of chain lightning but my version Drelas(before being thralled) was equipped with a chain lightning staff.

MORE SCREENSHOTS:
Best if viewed in High Resolution 1440x900 up
FZqvEAn.jpg

Showdown
L0xAAdb.jpg

Drains my Magicka
2TQQVbi.jpg

Drains my Health
w8B3kqa.jpg

Here comes nasty Chain Lightning
MRNV1jr.jpg

Up Close and Personal
eTX43hL.jpg

About to get smack by Turn Greater Undead blast
U6ImnVl.jpg

Boom!Contact
3tPhdgh.jpg

Triple play with my Hooded Minions Drelas and Arondil
cyFR5xO.jpg

Relentless Drelas moves in
JrbfPeW.jpg

The coup de grace by Drelas
5eYYoNa.jpg

Blasting off!
vfNfF8S.jpg

This is how Drelas finished her off.It seems some of these bloodsucking parasites really can fly;).
Nice view of Dragonreach at night plus a flying vamp.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
I love those screen shots!

Iv had mixed results with thralling random encounter enemies. They gennerally, like yourself, dissapear no matter what item is used to tie them down. I thralled an arch pyromancer, gave him a sanguine rose (copy) than he vanished after a couple days. I was than strolling through the reach when I saw an arch pyro and an arch cryo duelling. I killed them and in the pyro's inventory was a sanguine rose! I was a lil bummed that he didnt try it out on me;)

Other times like with my old orc thrall, they are stable. I hardly ever use him now but iv got him tied up in my pinewatch trophy room and he has been there for probably 150days or more. That being said, iv only had the old orc encounter once in close to 300game hours.

Btw I love my volkihor vamp thrall. Best thrall iv got except chain lightening can hostile your other thrall or follower. Easily rectified by having a team of mages and/or archers. Enchanting gear with lightening resist helps to if your really desperate.

Adam Warlock

From bits and pieces of info found around the sites , it doesn`t appear to be uncommon to randomly encounter a higher level vampire than you would normally expect.
Suspected causes are Dawnguard DLC/patch , the particular site of the encounter(some sites have a higher minimum lvl than others) , and/or individual game bugs/mod interactions.

As for the Old Orc , he is a one-shot random event(not tied to a particular location) and does not respawn so I suspect his situation is similar to the Master Vampire targets of certain Dawnguard radiant quests.
At this time (using anchors) , I have 4 Nord M.V.`s , 3 Bretons , 3 Dunmer , 2 Imperials , and 1 Altmer stashed in the courtyard of a deserted Orc stronghold.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
The biggest problem I have regarding volkihars is that they never appear because either:
I went to alot of vamp dungeons at low levels and now they spawn fledglings or just straight vampires or
My level is now too high so all the random vamp encounters I get are too strong to thrall.

I just have that solo volhihar that spawned in heamers shame. Kinda sucks coz id love to have 2 volks.

Also on my new playthrough I let the old orc live (or at least I didnt kill him) it will be interesting to see if I see him later in the game.

Ian Jones

"
From bits and pieces of info found around the sites , it doesn`t appear to be uncommon to randomly encounter a higher level vampire than you would normally expect."

Higher level vampires?I'm writing specifically about Volkihars.

"Suspected causes are Dawnguard DLC/patch , the particular site of the encounter(some sites have a higher minimum lvl than others) , and/or individual game bugs/mod interactions."

I should have written in bold and caps letters this:
DAWNGUARD IS UNINSTALLED.The fact of the matter is that Dawnguard addon massively alters everything vampire related in the game including the random events,otherwise I wouldn't have bothered because it would be overstating the obvious like you are.I mean there is a place called Castle Volkihar,I bet you'll find some"higher level vampire"there,whatever that is.Again,DAWNGUARD IS UNINSTALLED.

Ian Jones

The biggest problem I have regarding volkihars is that they never appear because either:
I went to alot of vamp dungeons at low levels and now they spawn fledglings or just straight vampires or
My level is now too high so all the random vamp encounters I get are too strong to thrall.

I just have that solo volhihar that spawned in heamers shame. Kinda sucks coz id love to have 2 volks.

Also on my new playthrough I let the old orc live (or at least I didnt kill him) it will be interesting to see if I see him later in the game.

The two sabercats that Old Orc kills are also permanent.Just for fun,I use them to decorate the front door of my Windstad Manor House.

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
Hmm I always reanimate the saber cats to soften him up.

NachyoChez

Im really hoping that turning rayya into a vampire will register her as undead for the necromage/dead thrall combo. The thing is that turning your spouse into a vampire doesnt do much at. Most of the time thier eyes stay human and detect dead doesnt register them as undead. Im not sure (and would be interested to find out) if making your spouse/follower a vamp gives them increased ice resist, lower fire resist, sun weakness etc.

Please post the results when you get up to that! I went and married janessa b4 I read she cant be turned, I was not happy!

Good luck and the rest of your plan looks good. Just keep in mind that orchendors gauntlets and boots can go up to dragonscale (iv heard deadric but I couldnt get him to spawn them) quality. Just take ALL his equiptment, thrall than go through loading screen to get different gear.

Have fun and be evil my fellow necromaniac ;)
Btw even if you equip your follower in differnt armour b4 they die, they will revert to thier original armour as a thrall. So unfortunately no deadric armour for rayya

Rather than scaring me off, this information has inspired me to try testing it myself!

It took me awhile to get the game for PC so I could have access to console (leveling the needed skills faster and getting multiple armors/weapons faster), and I'm well on my way to completing the requisite quests to hit all of the features at once. I'll create a few saves, so if anyone has suggestions on how to not only get Rayya as a Thrall 50+, and to get her in some damned nice armor I am totally listening!!

Scapa

I've read pretty much all through this thread and learned a huge amount thanks.

So, I discovered something which was new for me and I don't recall reading about it on this or any other forum: Fishing Jobs.

At the Thieves Guild, Delvin offers radiant quests to pickpocket random items from random people. The items required are always jewellry or gems. Say you are tasked with obtaining Balimond's Flawless Diamond, complete the pickpocket but ensure you have another Flawless Diamond in your inventory. When you turn in the quest to Delvin, the stolen Flawless Diamond will remain in your inventory while any/other will be removed.

Next, place the stolen Flawlesss Diamond on one of those named thralls who disappear after a time. For instance, Commander Maro, Laelette, etc.

Let me know if it works for you.

Adam Warlock

I've read pretty much all through this thread and learned a huge amount thanks.

So, I discovered something which was new for me and I don't recall reading about it on this or any other forum: Fishing Jobs.

At the Thieves Guild, Delvin offers radiant quests to pickpocket random items from random people. The items required are always jewellry or gems. Say you are tasked with obtaining Balimond's Flawless Diamond, complete the pickpocket but ensure you have another Flawless Diamond in your inventory. When you turn in the quest to Delvin, the stolen Flawless Diamond will remain in your inventory while any/other will be removed.

Next, place the stolen Flawlesss Diamond on one of those named thralls who disappear after a time. For instance, Commander Maro, Laelette, etc.

Let me know if it works for you.
Yes , this may indeed be an easy source of anchors. Thanks .
It is advisable to test these items with a respawning container or by selling to a vendor before relying on any particular one for making an important thrall a permanent corpse.
I`ve had some jewels of this type disappear but have a necklace from Belethor that is persistent.
Avoid dropping these objects into the world.
You can ask for this pickpocket quest , then immediately reject it for another , and so on. Each time the target object will spawn on that NPC but it will not disappear if you move on to another quest. You can obtain the object later(if a vendor has it they may sell it to you as Belethor did just that). Of course you won`t get the extra award from the TG in that event.