Thrall Thread : Living with the dead

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Ian Jones

Few pages back, there is a thread about Thralls not being able to travel to Solstheim.Well, they can.Using my easy to track versions (floating quest marker over head) of Fjola and Vighar, I found that after arriving your Thralls can be found floating and sloshing against the dock port side of the ship.

This is the coolest thing I've read in a while. Does anybody have a list of items that can be used for this? And I'm assuming the quests aren't broken, just in limbo like your thrall 's soul?

That would make for an awesome simple mod to just add some quest item tracking devices.

This sounds like a mod or a glitch.

The only times I had such events in my game(Xbox) resulted in broken quests.

Killing an NPC before getting a quest to talk to/kill them can give them a quest arrow but that quest can`t then be completed.

This has happened to me twice.

First occasion was after I killed Telrav and his henchmen at Nilheim and later got a Jarl`s Bounty Letter from the Rift to kill the Bandit Leader there.
Discovered a dead "Bandit"(obviously a Telrav respawn) with such a marker but can no longer receive those Kill the Bandit Leader quests from any Hold or any other Jarl`s bounties from the Rift.

Second time , the Ship Captain Kjar in Windhelm sent me to kill the already deceased Linwe (who has the arrow but is now leveled beyond Dead Thrall limit). The captain`s quests are now blocked.

However , I am able to track my living spouse Ysolda this way using a letter from her I found on an Orc named Ulag. I just avoid talking to her about the note so she doesn`t take it from me.
I suppose if I was able to kill her(she`s essential) without giving up the letter , then she could have the marker as a thrall.

Fjola(permanent corpse now labeled Bandit Leader) and Vighar(respawns) are NPC who also have now exceeded the Dead Thrall level limit for me. Hoping the poster will explain how this was done.

First,in one of my post I wrote I "deliberately bug a quest or delay its completion" and nothing about mods(Wtf?).Again,"I deliberately bugged"(break)a quest.My PC is level 32 and will probably not get higher than level 33 so Fjola is level 38 relative to me.Again,in previous posts I wrote my PC is level 32 pure NecroMage-just Conjuration,Enchanting,Restoration-no armor,no
weapons,no other magic.(Pure NecroMage makes for challenging and creative gameplay and my low level gives me access to more cool thralls).

Second,I do no want to spoil gameplay for other players and allow them to discover for themselves,so I only want to give hints,but what the heck,here are some spoilers below.

I will use Vighar as an example since he resurrects(not respawns for me after 30 game days)and the quest can be completed therefore fix provided you kill him again.Go to Bloodlet Throne(near Falkreath),kill the Master Vampire at dungeon's end, thrall or leave him.Go to Falkreath, talk to bald,former Jarl.He has two quests available.First,he will ask you to steal a letter from the blacksmith's house,complete it.Talk to him again to set off the second quest-the generic Master Vampire will now be name Vighar with a "floating quest marker".

Some of these quest have such paltry rewards (a few coins)that you can bugged(break)them without any relevant consequence and if you play on a PC can be fix via console commands.I will take an easy to track,permanent,and powerful level 42 Master Vampire thrall than the coins,obviously.

Similarly, if you are player who does not have any problem(I do)with killing or allowing to get killed then thralling a Follower ask them to pick up a quest item so that they will have the floating quest marker over their head.Good examples of quest related items are the Solitude Bard College musical instruments(flute,lute,drum)-the rewards are levels in useless skills like Speech,which I do not want or need.Others,Amren's sword quest in Whiterun and Dravin's bow quest-a farmhouse near Riften.This is important.This works best if you "do not release" your Follower from following you but "make them wait" (preferably far from quest item location)so that usually after 3 game days(Fast Wait works) they are automatically release from you and thus allowing you to take another follower-repeat if you need another follower-thrall.Note:The effectiveness of this method is seemingly random and relative to the combination of Follower and quest item-play,experiment,discover for yourself which works.For example,Amren's sword will work on Gregor might not with Janessa.Dravin's bow works on Iona and Ilia might also for Janessa.

Like I said,Skyrim is maybe one of the best games I've ever played but it is also the buggiest I've ever played,might as well make use of some them.The other day my thrall shot an ice spike to a cavebear which then launched(wooosh!) like a rocket in the sky and floated there pawing and growling for a minute or so then fell and died.Sigh.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
I agree. Having a thrall with a marker on its head is a fantastic idea.

Iv recently been trying to give quest items, namely Amrens sword, to my existing thralls. Not as easy as id hoped.

To begin with I got my follower to pick up the quest item and i took all her other weapons so she was wielding amrens sword, I than killed her in the hope that she would drop it on the ground... no such luck! She clung onto it for dear... um life.

Thats ok ithought, perhaps my weaponless bandit chief thrall will pry it from my followers rigamortised hands once I whack him around a bit... no such luck. Again. Hed either punch me or run away to hide.

I than had a breakthrough when I discovered quest items can be placed on weapon racks. Both floor and wall mounted racks. I aggrod a bandit highwayman this time but she would prefer to use her fist than pluck the sword off either of the racks :sadface:

hopefully by sharing this with all the intelligent ppl iv seen post on this awesome thread someone may get an idea that i havnt thought of.

Ian Jones

I agree. Having a thrall with a marker on its head is a fantastic idea.

Iv recently been trying to give quest items, namely Amrens sword, to my existing thralls. Not as easy as id hoped.

To begin with I got my follower to pick up the quest item and i took all her other weapons so she was wielding amrens sword, I than killed her in the hope that she would drop it on the ground... no such luck! She clung onto it for dear... um life.

Thats ok ithought, perhaps my weaponless bandit chief thrall will pry it from my followers rigamortised hands once I whack him around a bit... no such luck. Again. Hed either punch me or run away to hide.

I than had a breakthrough when I discovered quest items can be placed on weapon racks. Both floor and wall mounted racks. I aggrod a bandit highwayman this time but she would prefer to use her fist than pluck the sword off either of the racks :sadface:

hopefully by sharing this with all the intelligent ppl iv seen post on this awesome thread someone may get an idea that i havnt thought of.

Hi! Irishman, Welcome to our little thread.

I tried this awhile back with my Fight Club For Dead Thralls Turn Undead trick using Amren's sword and Red Eagle's sword-which if place on a rack falls on the ground.Even then my thralls did not pick it up.My guess is this a script to protect quest items from being lost-as in taken by NPCs other than Followers.There is a way via console to attach quest items to any NPC but I consider console commands as cheats so I wont share the info.

Another possibility but its seems to involved to try is sometimes NPCs take weapons from containers.This means taking your thrall to the quest item location making sure there are no other weapons around,again to involved for me to bother and I doubt it will work.

Ian Jones

FIGHT CLUB FOR DEAD THRALLS OR HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR PERSONAL ATTACK DOG THRALL

PROBLEM: At some point your roster of Dead Thralls will accumulate high enough that it will give you pause in selecting which thrall to use for a mission.A mage?A warrior?An archer?Which?

SOLUTION: FIGHT CLUB FOR DEAD THRALLS.

REQUIREMENTS: 2 Dead Thralls,Any Turn Undead spell,Flat,open setting(preferrably outdoors but not necessarily)away from interference from other NPCs.

RULES: No upgraded or enchanted equipment.No potions.No Scrolls.
For Mage fights, no weapons except for non-pure mage class like Sulla or Reaver Mages.
No obvious mismatch like pitting a level 25 againts a level 40-42.

DIRECTIONS: Equip any "Turn Undead" spell in both hands(dual-casting not necessary)keep spamming a target Thrall until they turn hostile then quickly get behind your defending thrall.
Watch and observe.This is a cleaner way to make your thralls hostile towards you without doing damage to them.Keep in mind that my avatar cannot use any weapons or destructive spells.
USEFUL: Tip1:Watch the stagger animation Turn Undead spells have on a target.With proper timing and positioning this is the way I kill Deathlords,Master Vampires,and Dragon Priests
without my PC and thralls taking any damage.Works on Potema too,have not tried on
Volkihars -again no Dawnguard and my level is too low for Volky vamp random event.

Tip2:This is also an excellent controlled way to train other skills.Want to train your
Restoration skill to get the Necromage Perk?Thrall a low level mage,make it hostile
using directions above,level using wards and heal spells.Use Chief Yamarz as high
HP meat dummy for target practice to level Archery,Block,etc.

NOTE: My PC is a level 32 BretoNecromage, since most thralls level with your PC your
thrall's stats will differ from mine which is significant as seen below.I also don't have
Dawnguard installed ,didn't care for it.

Ian Jones

Results from my Mage Showdown:
Legend: (I)=Ice (F)=Fire (L)Lightning (Ob)Observations (Nt)Notes

MAGE FIGHT:
Bashnag(I) vs.Beem-Ja(L) (Ob)Lvl36 vs.lvl30.Unlike a Briarheart Shaman,Forsworn Ravager or
Sylvia,Bashnag is less likely to start a battle by summonning a Frost Atronach and he didn't,since his ice spike are slow compared to Beem-ja's faster to shoot and hit lightning.Beem-ja wins ja! ja! ja!

Beem-ja(L) vs.Drelas(L) (Ob)Lvl30 vs.lvl36.Drelas has one of the better combat A.I. in a mage
thrall.Furious,relentless,always advancing never backing up with a complement of defensive ward,cloak,and healing spells which he knows how to use.No contest,Drelas wins.

Drelas(L) vs.Sulla(F) (Ob)Sulla likes to chip away at enemies with his slow and weak fire spell
while advancing with a weapon.Ligtning spells consume the most magicka spellwise.This highlights Drelas' only weakness,his relatively low magicka pool.Sulla gets one hit in with a sword versus Drelas fist,Drelas' magicka regenerates,Bbzzz!Drelas wins.

Drelas(L) vs.Sylvia(I) (Ob)Lvl36 vs.lvl38.Sylvia likes to start a fight with a Frost Atronach.Bad
move.Drelas casts Turn Daedra(wow!),spams lightning while Sylvia's own atronach wails on her(Wow!Ouch!).Drelas wins.(Nt)Drelas might be useful againts conjurers like a Draughr mage and places like Fellglow and Rimrock.

Drelas(L)vs.M.Necromancer(I) (Ob)A lvl40 permanent thrall(no anchor) master necromancer from Inalta's Deep with frost storm spell which Drelas shrugs off with ward spells,moves in,firing quick lightning.Drelas win.

Drelas(L)vs.Haldyn(L) (Ob)Lvl36 vs. lvl.40.Similar arsenal of spells though Haldyn is a more
cautious fighter.Fight is even 'til both run out of Magicka(costly L.spells)and resort to fisticuffs-Haldyn's higher HP and Nordic armor is a major factor -magicka regenerates.Haldyn wins.(Nt)Though Drelas loss he is still the better mage due to his tenacity and my first candidate as my personal attack dog thrall.(Nt)With his high HP and Nordic armor,equip with potions and a fastweapon with absorb magicka,Haldyn could make a decent MageTank.

Haldyn(L)vs.Arondil(I) (Ob)I call Arondil the "Ice Man-chine".He has the highest magicka pool(416)in my mage roster,which allows him to fire a quick succession of Frost
Storm spells to overhelm his opponents plus he has wards and healing
spells for defense.Arondil wins.

Arondil(I)vs.Kornalus(L) (Ob)Lvl40vs.lv.40.Kornalus does some damage but the relentless barrage of Frost storms which as I understand gains strength the further its travels plus wards,heal spells-Arondil wins.(Nt)Kornalus might have a better chance in cramper closer quarters.

Arondil(I)vs.Sebastian Lort (Ob)Lvl40vs.lv.40.Lort is a master conjurer who doesn't do much
conjuring.Same story as above-Arondil wins.

Arondil(I)vs.Malkoran (Ob)Lvl.40vs.lvl30.(Nt)Malkoran levels with your PC.I went ahead and
thralled him and Orchendor for this MageFight,Though only lvl.30 he did better than the others here.His shade has a wide variety of powerful spells,using the Turn Undead to make him lose I got to make him fight 5 of his own shades until some damn mammoth interfered.Another
candidate for a personal attack dog thrall with good potential.Oh,Arondil wins.

Arondil(I)vs.Orchendor(puke) (Ob)Orchendor's combat A.I. is a bit challenging.My guess is that the selection of spells he uses varies with the enemy because he didn't teleport against Arondil just wards,weak frost,and fire spells plus vomits which Arondil dealt with by healing.Arondil wins.

Bug?: I tried to pit a Arondil against a Master Vampire.He wouldn't fight him with
spells but used his fist instead.That's Skyrim for you.

Summary: Arondil is reigning champ so far in my Mage Fight Club for Thrall.So far.Other mage
thralls such as Luah were in Riften,others too low(lvl 25s) and Savon Aren.The beauty of SAvos is that he is the only thrall who can summon a Dremora Lord which tend to make a mess(decap) of mages.

Invitation:
I will leave it to others in this forum to post their Warrior Fight Club results
because equipment type(weapon,armor) and skill level becomes a factor.For example, a
Bandit Chief has lvl.84-2Hdr,lvl.74-1Hdr,and lvl.59-Block and Nordic armor (Dragonborn addon).Do you go for power via two-handed weapon or a balance of defense and offense with "sword and board"?Lightly armored vs.lightly armored?Heavy armored vs.heavy armored?Lightly armored vs.heavy armored?
Post Mage fights also.

Adam Warlock

MAGE FIGHT:
Bashnag(I) vs.Beem-Ja(L) (Ob)Lvl36 vs.lvl30.Unlike a Briarheart Shaman,Forsworn Ravager or
Sylvia,Bashnag is less likely to start a battle by summonning a Frost Atronach and he didn't,since his ice spike are slow compared to Beem-ja's faster to shoot and hit lightning.Beem-ja wins ja! ja! ja!

Beem-ja(L) vs.Drelas(L) (Ob)Lvl30 vs.lvl36.Drelas has one of the better combat A.I. in a mage
thrall.Furious,relentless,always advancing never backing up with a complement of defensive ward,cloak,and healing spells which he knows how to use.No contest,Drelas wins.

Drelas(L) vs.Sulla(F) (Ob)Sulla likes to chip away at enemies with his slow and weak fire spell
while advancing with a weapon.Ligtning spells consume the most magicka spellwise.This highlights Drelas' only weakness,his relatively low magicka pool.Sulla gets one hit in with a sword versus Drelas fist,Drelas' magicka regenerates,Bbzzz!Drelas wins.

Drelas(L) vs.Sylvia(I) (Ob)Lvl36 vs.lvl38.Sylvia likes to start a fight with a Frost Atronach.Bad
move.Drelas casts Turn Daedra(wow!),spams lightning while Sylvia's own atronach wails on her(Wow!Ouch!).Drelas wins.(Nt)Drelas might be useful againts conjurers like a Draughr mage and places like Fellglow and Rimrock.

Drelas(L)vs.M.Necromancer(I) (Ob)A lvl40 permanent thrall(no anchor) master necromancer from Inalta's Deep with frost storm spell which Drelas shrugs off with ward spells,moves in,firing quick lightning.Drelas win.

Drelas(L)vs.Haldyn(L) (Ob)Lvl36 vs. lvl.40.Similar arsenal of spells though Haldyn is a more
cautious fighter.Fight is even 'til both run out of Magicka(costly L.spells)and resort to fisticuffs-Haldyn's higher HP and Nordic armor is a major factor -magicka regenerates.Haldyn wins.(Nt)Though Drelas loss he is still the better mage due to his tenacity and my first candidate as my personal attack dog thrall.(Nt)With his high HP and Nordic armor,equip with potions and a fastweapon with absorb magicka,Haldyn could make a decent MageTank.

Haldyn(L)vs.Arondil(I) (Ob)I call Arondil the "Ice Man-chine".He has the highest magicka pool(416)in my mage roster,which allows him to fire a quick succession of Frost

Arondil(I)vs.Kornalus(L) (Ob)Lvl40vs.lv.40.Kornalus does some damage but the relentless barrage of Frost storms which as I understand gains strength the further its travels plus wards,heal spells-Arondil wins.(Nt)Kornalus might have a better chance in cramper closer quarters.

Arondil(I)vs.Sebastian Lort (Ob)Lvl40vs.lv.40.Lort is a master conjurer who doesn't do much

Arondil(I)vs.Malkoran (Ob)Lvl.40vs.lvl30.(Nt)Malkoran levels with your PC.I went ahead and
thralled him and Orchendor for this MageFight,Though only lvl.30 he did better than the others here.His shade has a wide variety of powerful spells,using the Turn Undead to make him lose I got to make him fight 5 of his own shades until some damn mammoth interfered.Another

Arondil(I)vs.Orchendor(puke) (Ob)Orchendor's combat A.I. is a bit challenging.My guess is that the selection of spells he uses varies with the enemy because he didn't teleport againts Arondil just wards,weak frost,and fire spells plus vomits which Arondil dealt with by healing.Arondil wins.

Bug?: I tried to pit a Arondil against a Master Vampire.He wouldn't fight him with

Summary: Arondil is reigning champ so far in my Mage Fight Club for Thrall.So far.Other mage
thralls such as Luah were in Riften,others too low(lvl 25s) and Savon Aren.The beauty of SAvos is that he is the only thrall who can summon a Dremora Lord which tend to make a mess(decap) of mages.

Invitation:
I will leave it to others in this forum to post their Warrior Fight Club results
because equipment type(weapon,armor) and skill level becomes a factor.For example, a
Bandit Chief has lvl.84-2Hdr,lvl.74-1Hdr,and lvl.59-Block and Nordic armor (Dragonborn addon).Do you go for power via two-handed weapon or a balance of defense and offense with "sword and board"?Lightly armored vs.lightly armored?Heavy armored vs.heavy armored?Lightly armored vs.heavy armored?
Post Mage fights also.
This is great.
I`ve missed my respawner arena battles since updates have eliminated them.
I`ve got 10 Master Vampires anchored and ready for Mortal Kombat of the Undead.
They are all lvl 42 with the only difference being race.
Who will be champ , a Nord , Breton , or Dunmer ?

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
Dammit looks like im building a new necromage tonight. :D

The Phoenician

Speaking of a Pure conjuration/necro mage are the best minor skills and to what levels to complement your necroness with out over leveling?

Smithing and Enchanting seem fairly obvious since that will add to the survivability of thralls and yourself.

Adam Warlock

Speaking of a Pure conjuration/necro mage are the best minor skills and to what levels to complement your necroness with out over leveling?

Smithing and Enchanting seem fairly obvious since that will add to the survivability of thralls and yourself.
Yes , I am also curious as to where you spent your 32 perk points , Ian .

Ian Jones

Okay,dudes-here goes

My PC:Lvl.32 BretoNecromage
Main Skills:Conjuration100,Enchantment100,Restoration100
Speech35(selling stuff levels it,Blah!) other skills between 15 and 20.Those damn skill books and completed quests that level a skill I don't want.Blah,again!

My PERKS:
CONJURATION Skill Tree: All Perks except "Mystic Binding","Soul Stealer",and"Oblivion Binding".Don't really need them since "Soul Trap" and "Banish Daedra" spells work even better.

ENCHANTING Skill Tree: All Perks except "Soul Squeezer and "Soul Siphon".Souls gems and souls are a plenty or free with Azura star.
My personal favorites are Mud Crabs(very many) around Whiterun to fill cheap petty souls gems to enchant iron daggers(very light to carry)to use as money.Quick cash tip.

RESTORATION Skill Tree: Perks are "Novice Restoration","Regeneration","Necromage",and "Respite".Activated "Respite" because I don't Fast Travel, so I do lots of sprinting.It restores Stamina along with Health.I was planning on leveling to
activate "Dual-Casting" thinking it would make my spells against
the undead stronger(like Turn Undead affecting higher level enemies) but it does not or they are probably too very high to be affected by it.

As for "Smith" skill tree,most of my enemies do not have upgraded
items.They do have enchanted items which I can easily counter with my way better enchantments.Enchanting is essential for my avatar build.It lessens the cost of magic use,enhances my thralls,allows me sell items to make cash for things like houses,properties,soul gems and makes smithing an unnecessary
skill.Potions?All the potions I find I give to my thralls because "Grand Healing" makes me and Follower almost unkillable and nullifies the need for "Alchemy"skills.

A Skyrim avatar can easily become overpowered that it makes for boring gameplay.No, I cannot kill a dragon with 2 strikes or 1 shot from a bow and arrow with sneak,smithing,enchanting,alchemy,and archery perks.Have fun with that boring crap!Nah! I'm more interested in learning,discovering things,and fighting smarter.

The Phoenician

Ok right now My Necromage is at 18 pushing 19. I have Conjuration at 100. Ive been shunning all other skills as much as possible. But my melee thralls have been getting stomed on. So Now that I know I can keep a low level and improve their gear im gonna start doing that.

Iv been working on collecting/making staves to to help my minions out without increasing my other skills.

Ian Jones

MAGE FIGHT:

Arondil(I)vs.Orchendor(puke) (Ob)Orchendor's combat A.I. is a bit challenging.My guess is that the selection of spells he uses varies with the enemy because he didn't teleport againts Arondil just wards,weak frost,and fire spells plus vomits which Arondil dealt with by healing.Arondil wins.

Invitation:
Post Mage fights also.
This is great.
I`ve missed my respawner arena battles since updates have eliminated them.
I`ve got 10 Master Vampires anchored and ready for Mortal Kombat of the Undead.
They are all lvl 42 with the only difference being race.
Who will be champ , a Nord , Breton , or Dunmer ?

Awesome,looking forward to seeing the results.Mmmm,Undead and Nords have frost resistance will it stack for Nords?-since M.Vamps mostly use lightning and ice spells.
I consider this thread as Community Journal for Necromancers so I hope to see others' post their results or anything else.

ADDITIONAL MATCH:
Arondil(I)My Reigning Champ vs. Briarheart Shaman(I)
(Ob.)Lvl40 vs. lvl.38.Shaman unleashes Frost Atronach to begin the fight while Arondil releases 3 frost storms which breaks the atronach like cheap glass(here I thought frost atronachs were immune to ice spells-not!),Arondil takes an Ice Spear smack in the face,high level ice spells depletes Shaman's
low magicka pool and switches to punching ,Arondil has plenty more magicka fires ice spikes and storm-Arondil wins.

Ian Jones

Ok right now My Necromage is at 18 pushing 19. I have Conjuration at 100. Ive been shunning all other skills as much as possible. But my melee thralls have been getting stomed on. So Now that I know I can keep a low level and improve their gear im gonna start doing that.

Iv been working on collecting/making staves to to help my minions out without increasing my other skills.

At level 28 try to thrall Bashnag(Southfringe Sanctum) and Drelas.Any higher and it is not possible.Hope you get the Lightning and not the Fire mage version of Drelas(messy fighter)-mine has eminent robes of destruction,don't know if makes a real difference though.You need to level Enchanting(see my previous post).I'm guessing you have the Mage Stone perk.

The Phoenician

Yes I have the Mage Stone. I already picked up Drelas fire version.He's badass for sure but does not play well with others.

Ian Jones

Yes I have the Mage Stone. I already picked up Drelas fire version.He's badass for sure but does not play well with others.

What level were when you thralled Drelas because he might be a lower level version?I recommend waiting until level 28.Also,once you
get to level 30 a Boethiah Cultist will attack you,kill him but don't read the book.If you postpone doing the quest,he will have the floating quest marker when he is dead but not when he is thralled.Decent permanent,level 25 thrall with good combat skills,nice mule to store and carry things
in that you can leave anywhere.

The Phoenician

I was still at 18 when I got him

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Though I don't really get in to the dead thrall playstyle, I seem to recall mention of equipping quest items as trace markers for thralls that are lost. I stumbled across this interesting bug and though it may be well known already, I thought it might be worth pointing out. I found this in the Amulet of Talos description:

• Roggvir, the man beheaded when you first enter Solitude, is wearing one. It can be taken off of his corpse after the execution, or taken from his crypt through a quest given to you by his sister. Taking this particular instance of the amulet prior to starting its associated quest is known to cause a bug where all amulets of Talos become quest items and the quest itself never starts.
A way to obtain multiple trace markers perhaps?

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
Most prized thrall?

Hmmm ... I like quite a few but if I had to choose one it would be the Traveler. You can play the entire game and not even notice him. He wears black hooded robes and turns up as a radiant NPC in any of the main holds during the Dawnguard quest. He is a vampire so he has glowing eyes but he looks as though he is pretty advanced in his vampirism (more like a Vampire Lord than most others). He also summons a gargoyle which can prove helpful in a pinch. He has unique dialogue, which I am yet to get bored with since he grumps in the background wherever and whatever I'm doing. I super enchant his robes (so that he won't die) and arm him with the Blade of Woe.

I wish there were more unique thralls. They are every bit as fun as a new bow or sword.

Where can I find this elusive bastard!?
My current playthrough iv clocked 240hours and not once have I seen the vampire traveler! And yes I have been looking...

Adam Warlock

Most prized thrall?

Hmmm ... I like quite a few but if I had to choose one it would be the Traveler. You can play the entire game and not even notice him. He wears black hooded robes and turns up as a radiant NPC in any of the main holds during the Dawnguard quest. He is a vampire so he has glowing eyes but he looks as though he is pretty advanced in his vampirism (more like a Vampire Lord than most others). He also summons a gargoyle which can prove helpful in a pinch. He has unique dialogue, which I am yet to get bored with since he grumps in the background wherever and whatever I'm doing. I super enchant his robes (so that he won't die) and arm him with the Blade of Woe.

I wish there were more unique thralls. They are every bit as fun as a new bow or sword.

My current playthrough iv clocked 240hours and not once have I seen the vampire traveler! And yes I have been looking...
You must join Dawnguard faction.
After that , Traveler will begin appearing randomly inside the walled cities as will occasional Vampire raiding parties.
Arriving to prowl the streets at night works best although I did see one in Whiterun during the daytime.
Traveler no longer spawns after you have defeated Harkon.

Look around city and if Traveler not there , search elsewhere and come back another time if you need to.
Unlike Vampires , the Traveler will not immediately attack when you arrive but will become hostile once you get close to him. If he tries to approach you , you can backpedal and draw him to a place where you have a tactical advantage(usually near guards) before you fight.

This site- http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Traveler - says you can encounter them anywhere and that may be true but was not my experience

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
Most prized thrall?

You must join Dawnguard faction.
After that , Traveler will begin appearing randomly inside the walled cities as will occasional Vampire raiding parties.
Arriving to prowl the streets at night works best although I did see one in Whiterun during the daytime.
Traveler no longer spawns after you have defeated Harkon.

Look around city and if Traveler not there , search elsewhere and come back another time if you need to.
Unlike Vampires , the Traveler will not immediately attack when you arrive but will become hostile once you get close to him. If he tries to approach you , you can backpedal and draw him to a place where you have a tactical advantage(usually near guards) before you fight.

This site- http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Traveler - says you can encounter them anywhere and that may be true but was not my experience

Damn im with the volkihars! He sounded like a cool thrall.
Anyways thanks Adam Warlock, no wonder I havent seen him. The only semi unique encounters I get are named dawngaurd members that have a note on them saying that they are refilling supply caches. They only level to 25 although they do come with a full set of armour. Not nearly as cool as a talking, gargoyle summoning, named vampire.

Hmm I might have to be a traitorous vampire lord that is working with the dawngaurd for 1 reason or another on my next playthrough just so I can the traveler and the elusive vampire hood.